The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It'a very very very important.... I would like to ask the same question but for global women's rights, which is the biggest human rights crisis on the face of the planet.
    I think people like to essentially ignore the most serious issues, because those are the ones that are too hard to fix.

PJ_Soul said:
    It'a very very very important.... I would like to ask the same question but for global women's rights, which is the biggest human rights crisis on the face of the planet.
    I think people like to essentially ignore the most serious issues, because those are the ones that are too hard to fix.

Yes, that's an excellent example of another situation that seems so large and difficult to tackle that we don't talk about it enough, but not only that, it's directly relevant to climate change. When women have full human rights, one of the rights they take up with gusto is education, and when women are educated, they tend to make the choice to limit family size, and often advocate for options that are less destructive to the environment, such as alternate cooking fuel sources rather than burning all available plant matter, which leads to deforestation and environmental degradation. 
    I very much agree with you both- women's rights globally is a huge issue.  I like what you said, oftenreading about how improving women's rights and education would help ease global warming.  That's good logic and compassionate thinking. 

But as I've said a number of times, if the world becomes unfit for human habitation ( a very real possibility), there will be no human rights issues, and as much as improving women's rights is highly important (it is), that issue is not the main driving force of anthropogenic global warming.  I'm not trying to downplay the importance of the global women's rights issue, but in prioritizing big issues, I would still argue that global warming and environmental degradation are the most urgent.  In the triage situation in which we find ourselves, in terms of what will affect the viability of human life as a whole, I believe environment is the most urgent and crucial. 
    I think you may be looking at the issue too narrowly, brian. What if a major part of the solution could come from a young girl born in Mali, who currently has very low odds of getting any formal education at all? Why should we be missing out on the brain power of half the population?
    I think you missed my point and I think focusing on one aspect of global warming is more the narrow looking.  I agree with what you said the first time, but I don't think the majority cause of global warming hinges on women's rights issues.  I really don't.

I'm not saying that they do, at all, but I’ll just leave it at that so as not to detail the thread. 
    Cool, thanks.  I like what you and PJ_Soul wrote about the first go-round.  An important topic worthy of it's own thread.

Thanks, although it wasn't my goal to try and get anyone talking about women's rights here, like Meltdown apparently thought, hahaha (and I HAVE tried to start its own thread btw - it dropped off the first page very quickly, which proves my point pretty well. Nobody ever really wants to talk about that issue around here - I've said as much many times over the years). I simply meant it as another example of how people are the least reactive to the worst problems that affect the most people. It's because of a sense of ultimate hopelessness IMHO. Or denial. Or ignorance, i.e. they don't even understand the extent of the problem or its causes. I think those three sentiments about climate change are pretty widely felt. I'm personally one of the people with a massive sense of hopelessness about halting climate change. I think it's too late. We're past the tipping point (it's just that I'm still happy to talk about it, and do think we still have to do everything we can, since there is no other option). And when mass migrations start happening because of climate change, we can probably wave goodbye to the women's rights cause where it's most needed as well - such migrations will trigger truly terrible things.
    Thanks for clarifying.  I honestly don't remember your women's justice thread (but I forget things in general more and more these days) so if you could bump it back up, I'd like to check it out.

I think you are right about being beyond the tipping point.  At the same time, I think it makes sense to lessen how much we add to the severity of the problem as much as possible.  I still think that is possible. 

Yes, there will likely be migrations to the far north and the far south.  Is that a frequent topic of discussion up your way?
    I have no idea where the thread is Brian - it's gotta be from years ago, not months. But I also do bring it up in other threads... crickets.
    Up here people are definitely talking about climate change migration, because Canada is going to be where millions upon millions of them are going to migrate. So yeah, we're conscious of it. Some of us, myself included, are already thinking about buying property farther north in preparation (I think I've talked to you about how I'm considering this before). Right now that property is still cheap, but it won't be forever because of climate migration, and I'm talking about within my lifetime. I think we expect most of the migrants to be Indian, Middle Eastern, and American.
    I know a couple who years ago were talking about moving to Canada when Bush got elected here.  At the time, they were both professionals, well respected in their fields and well off financially and yet even so, they found making the move would be too difficult, too unlikely to happen.  Unless things have changed since then, your biggest threat to massive immigration right now appears to be from refuges, not first worlders looking to relocate. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mcgruff10 said:
    And why do people in Canada think they have to move north?
    Spend a few weeks in Phoenix or Tucson in July and you'll quickly see why!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    We're talking about climate change migration here. People will move to northern countries because places farther south will be come unlivable or at least intolerable for many (some places already are). Too hot, too many fires, not enough water, eternal drought. So people will migrate to Canada, northern Europe. Or at least try to... The northwest won't be immune either. Southern Californians are already moving in greater rates to the northwest. That's the first step.
    And people In Canada don't think they HAVE to move farther north. Some think they will want to (like me), because southern Canada will become less pleasant as the population rises because of this climate migration. But also, southern Canada is suffering the effects of climate change too. So many more and worse fires, more drought. It's predicted that Vancouver will have about the same climate at San Diego by 2050. And that would destroy the entire ecology of the region, making it a much less pleasant place to live than it is right now, and like a box of matches as well. Plus that's just too hot for some people (like for me!). Therefore, moving north, to cooler climates with more rain and cold winters, will make sense to a lot of Canadians who currently live closer to the border. The reason some are talking about this now is because they want to get ahead of it, and buy property that will be more in demand and more expensive 30 years from now.
    I'm now rethinking though. I was considering moving north in BC, or to the Yukon. But now I'm thinking more about the the Maritimes instead. Newfoundland ... Although it's likely that hurricane weather will become more and more serious there with the climate change. We'll see.... I wouldn't start planning for this until after both my parents are dead, so hopefully it won't be for a long time!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    We're talking about climate change migration here. People will move to northern countries because places farther south will be come unlivable or at least intolerable for many (some places already are). Too hot, too many fires, not enough water, eternal drought. So people will migrate to Canada, northern Europe. Or at least try to... The northwest won't be immune either. Southern Californians are already moving in greater rates to the northwest. That's the first step.
    And people In Canada don't think they HAVE to move farther north. Some think they will want to (like me), because southern Canada will become less pleasant as the population rises because of this climate migration. But also, southern Canada is suffering the effects of climate change too. So many more and worse fires, more drought. It's predicted that Vancouver will have about the same climate at San Diego by 2050. And that would destroy the entire ecology of the region, making it a much less pleasant place to live than it is right now, and like a box of matches as well. Plus that's just too hot for some people (like for me!). Therefore, moving north, to cooler climates with more rain and cold winters, will make sense to a lot of Canadians who currently live closer to the border. The reason some are talking about this now is because they want to get ahead of it, and buy property that will be more in demand and more expensive 30 years from now.
    I'm now rethinking though. I was considering moving north in BC, or to the Yukon. But now I'm thinking more about the the Maritimes instead. Newfoundland ... Although it's likely that hurricane weather will become more and more serious there with the climate change. We'll see.... I wouldn't start planning for this until after both my parents are dead, so hopefully it won't be for a long time!
    San Diego is one of the most beautiful places in the us.  It has a climate that most would agree is simply perfect.  If Vancouver becomes the next San Diego, they’re lucky!! I wish I still lived in San Diego, greatest weather I’ve ever experienced!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    San Diego is one of the most beautiful places in the us.  It had a climate that most would agree is simply perfect.  If Vancouver becomes the next San Diego, they’re lucky!! I wish I still lived in San Diego, greatest weather I’ve ever experienced!
    I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that hot and with barely any seasons. I'd rather live in the North Pole than in San Diego, personally. But that isn't even the point. San Diego has nice weather for San Diego. The ecological environment there has adapted over thousands of years for that kind of climate. But when that climate comes very rapidly to a temperate rain forest like we have here, that is an absolute ecological disaster. All of our massive forests would dry up and burn the entire damned province down, and the vast majority of our wildlife would die.... Surely you understand that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    San Diego is one of the most beautiful places in the us.  It had a climate that most would agree is simply perfect.  If Vancouver becomes the next San Diego, they’re lucky!! I wish I still lived in San Diego, greatest weather I’ve ever experienced!
    I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that hot and with barely any seasons. I'd rather live in the North Pole than in San Diego, personally. But that isn't even the point. San Diego has nice weather for San Diego. The ecological environment there has adapted over thousands of years for that kind of climate. But when that climate comes very rapidly to a temperate rain forest like we have here, that is an absolute ecological disaster. All of our massive forests would all dry up and burn the entire damned province down, and the vast majority of our wildlife would die.... Surely you understand that.
    Nah, I don’t think so.  You sound like one of those guys with a basement full of canned goods.  You a doomsday preppier?
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that hot and with barely any seasons. I'd rather live in the North Pole than in San Diego, personally. But that isn't even the point. San Diego has nice weather for San Diego. The ecological environment there has adapted over thousands of years for that kind of climate. But when that climate comes very rapidly to a temperate rain forest like we have here, that is an absolute ecological disaster. All of our massive forests would all dry up and burn the entire damned province down, and the vast majority of our wildlife would die.... Surely you understand that.
    Nah, I don’t think so.  You sound like one of those guys with a basement full of canned goods.  You a doomsday preppier?
    I can't believe the level of your denial. Or maybe just your ignorance about how nature works.
    But also, I'm not acting like the sky is falling. I am talking about realistically preparing to make my life as pleasant as possible as major climate changes start affecting the behaviour of populations, not about saving myself from doomsday.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can't believe the level of your denial. Or maybe just your ignorance about how nature works.
    But also, I'm not acting like the sky is falling. I am talking about realistically preparing to make my life as pleasant as possible as major climate changes start affecting the behaviour of populations, not about saving myself from doomsday.
    Sounds like you’ve bought into the hysteria to me.  I’ll just go with the flow, and if it means the flow is a massive fire, I’m down with that.  No
    use in worrying about something you can’t fix.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sounds like you’ve bought into the hysteria to me.  I’ll just go with the flow, and if it means the flow is a massive fire, I’m down with that.  No
    Nothing hysterical about it. It's all just pragmatism.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    I live in one of the most southern regions of Canada often referred to as Florida of Canada, I can assure you that no none I know is planning on moving North due to climate...I am planning to move North as a personal preference.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    I live in one of the most southern regions of Canada often referred to as Florida of Canada, I can assure you that no none I know is planning on moving North due to climate...I am planning to move North as a personal preference.  
    The Florida of Canada?! Lol. Is that Ontario? How hot does it get there?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Florida of Canada?! Lol. Is that Ontario? How hot does it get there?
    Yes, Southern Ontario.  We call it Florida of the north because compared to about 85% of Canada we have it pretty good in the winter.  We have 4 seasons and no we are not burning up...lol. I am not tossing my winter gear anytime soon...I wish there were a million people or so in my province that were preppers and decided to head north...it'd be funny to see.  I think many, including many Canadians, have no clue to how harsh Canada's north is...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    When did the roles reverse such that believers in prevalent scientific notions became conspiracy theorists, while people who denied it became the pragmatists in the room?

Do you believe the scientists are compromised? Do you believe the science to be invalid? Are you having fun heckling? Or is it an idiotic and unfounded belief that you're just simply 'right' without any evidence to back that up? I'm legitimately curious to know.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RMB31, you obviously don't know much about who you are talking to here.  "Doomsday preppier?"  No.  "Bought into hysteria"?  No.  What PJ_Soul said in her posts makes perfect sense.  There's a difference between making sense and being hysterical. 

If you're into just watching the world go up in flames, fine, you get to choose.  But if you're going to misrepresent what others are saying and then basically just say, "Fuck it, I don't care anyway," please pick a different set of bleachers in another part of the park.  This is a place where hopefully some of us are talking about how to make some positive differences. 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Why not try to take measures that can help the environment regardless?  Even if it doesn't reverse global warming perhaps it keeps the air cleaner, the water we drink cleaner, doesn't cause a bunch of species to go extinct, etc....

I think we all need to step back and challenge our beliefs.  I was raised conservative and was a staunch Republican.  Over time I've realized how much greed and misinformation has consumed that party.  Its leaders do not deny global warming/climate change because of the science, it is because their donors would lose money potentially and thus the politicians are paid to not change anything.    There are snakes in the liberal party too, but if the Iraq war has taught me anything it is not to trust in what politicians say, but to dig deeper at their motivations. 

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that hot and with barely any seasons. I'd rather live in the North Pole than in San Diego, personally. But that isn't even the point. San Diego has nice weather for San Diego. The ecological environment there has adapted over thousands of years for that kind of climate. But when that climate comes very rapidly to a temperate rain forest like we have here, that is an absolute ecological disaster. All of our massive forests would dry up and burn the entire damned province down, and the vast majority of our wildlife would die.... Surely you understand that.
    San Diego Temperatures: Averages by Month

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/California/Places/san-diego-temperatures-by-month-average.php

I have been to San Diego many different times and different seasons...never had a bad weather day, never had temps over 75 degrees.  According to this link, they are burning up in San Diego.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/California/Places/san-diego-temperatures-by-month-average.php

I have been to San Diego many different times and different seasons...never had a bad weather day, never had temps over 75 degrees.  According to this link, they are burning up in San Diego.
    In 2018, the highest every ocean temperature was recorded off San Diego. During the first two weeks of last August, the temperature was the highest on record for San Diego, more than 10 degrees higher than the usual highs, at 86.5oF. 

San Diego is changing, Vancouver is changing, the whole world is changing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

In 2018, the highest every ocean temperature was recorded off San Diego. During the first two weeks of last August, the temperature was the highest on record for San Diego, more than 10 degrees higher than the usual highs, at 86.5oF. 

San Diego is changing, Vancouver is changing, the whole world is changing. 
    Thank you, often!  That is the point.

Intelligent Vancouver residents would not welcome their weather to be like San Diego's because they know what that would mean in terms of the bigger picture.

The whole world is changing?  No shit we know that.  Thanks for the obvious.  And those places are becoming fucked faster because of too many people...but hey, why do some of not spend a winter in the Yukon or NWT territories for winter, let me know how you like it...and people moving up their will fuck up their environment, even more, is that what you want?  Here is an idea...start working to fix your conditions in your communities...

And you are relying on hypocrital politicians to fix the problems...politicians not could organize a 1 car funeral.

In the last week, our eco PM and his band of liberals declared a climate emergency on a Monday, the on Tuesday approved a 10 billion dollar pipeline extension, then a week later the same government gave some LPG company 270 million...it's all bullshit...the world knows we needs to be done...no will power.

The reason people from both sides do not come together I'll never figure out.  But do not ask me to pay a tax on carbon and then invest tax money into these energy projects...that is just about the stupidest thing going on...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The whole world is changing?  No shit we know that.  Thanks for the obvious.  And those places are becoming fucked faster because of too many people...but hey, why do some of not spend a winter in the Yukon or NWT territories for winter, let me know how you like it...and people moving up their will fuck up their environment, even more, is that what you want?  Here is an idea...start working to fix your conditions in your communities...

And you are relying on hypocrital politicians to fix the problems...politicians not could organize a 1 car funeral.

In the last week, our eco PM and his band of liberals declared a climate emergency on a Monday, the on Tuesday approved a 10 billion dollar pipeline extension, then a week later the same government gave some LPG company 270 million...it's all bullshit...the world knows we needs to be done...no will power.

The reason people from both sides do not come together I'll never figure out.  But do not ask me to pay a tax on carbon and then invest tax money into these energy projects...that is just about the stupidest thing going on...
    Yes, those are two major stumbling blocks right there: over-population and inept government. The only things the average person can do about those issues is:
    -support women's justice issue, especially increased education worldwide
    -support family panning organizations
    -make better, more informed voting choices
    -hold your representatives accountable.  Call them, write to them.  Speak your mind.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:

Yes, those are two major stumbling blocks right there: over-population and inept government. The only things the average person can do about those issues is:
    -hold your representatives accountable.  Call them, write to them.  Speak your mind.
    You forgot "revolt"

Never been a "revolution" type of guy as I am a part of the machine, the way that many see it....however, this place is so fucked and too many people only care about themselves.
    I like all of your items you call out...except the 4th one I think is pretty much useless these days unless you speak with your wallet.
    Revolt!  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:

You forgot "revolt"

Never been a "revolution" type of guy as I am a part of the machine, the way that many see it....however, this place is so fucked and too many people only care about themselves.
    I like all of your items you call out...except the 4th one I think is pretty much useless these days unless you speak with your wallet.
    Revolt!  ;)
    The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You forgot "revolt"

Revolt!  ;)
    It will be streamed ;) 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You forgot "revolt"

Revolt!  ;)
    It will be streamed ;) 
    :lol:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This wild ride called humanity is heading toward the cliff and I'm just hoping my son gets a few yeehaws in before the plunge.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    This wild ride called humanity is heading toward the cliff and I'm just hoping my son gets a few yeehaws in before the plunge.
    I said something similar at a table this weekend, at which my mother was also seated.
    She smiled and replied "that is what your father and I said when you were his age - I think the lunacy continues a while longer."
    rgambs said:
    I said something similar at a table this weekend, at which my mother was also seated.
    She smiled and replied "that is what your father and I said when you were his age - I think the lunacy continues a while longer."
    People have been declaring, "The end is near!" for a long time, but it was always based on something that might happen- i.e. a pandemic, nuclear war, a giant asteroid.  Those still could happen.  But global warming is happening and it will spell the end for very large numbers of people and other animals.  The more we do to slow it down, the fewer people and animals will die and the extinction rate will not be a drastic. If we want large numbers of people, animals, and species to die, we're on the right track.

I sometimes wonder if the human race as a whole is somehow innately predisposed to being a species of suicidal maniacs. 

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    People have been declaring, "The end is near!" for a long time, but it was always based on something that might happen- i.e. a pandemic, nuclear war, a giant asteroid.  Those still could happen.  But global warming is happening and it will spell the end for very large numbers of people and other animals.  The more we do to slow it down, the fewer people and animals will die and the extinction rate will not be a drastic. If we want large numbers of people, animals, and species to die, we're on the right track.

I sometimes wonder if the human race as a whole is somehow innately predisposed to being a species of suicidal maniacs. 
    Not suicidal maniacs. We are parasites. Literally.
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

A fair point relative to my shared discussion -- the globe hasn't exploded yet, and it might not for some time, but change is happening every day.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Not suicidal maniacs. We are parasites. Literally.
    True.  Or at least metaphorically, a virus.