U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I'm not sure it is an "issue", but it is an example of very poor sportsmanship and lame behavior.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited June 2019
    Carli's response immediately after the final whistle.
    EDIT: 2nd link was incorrect
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Of course it is an issue, but as Dyer said shouldn't be. There's more talk and media coverage about this one group stage game than the entire WC win last time. You see it one way, I see it as an example of a well executed game plan by players at the top of their game. BTW, since you've brought it up a couple of times, I didn't intend to accuse you of gender bias, and not sure I actually did. I speculated that a reason for this faux outrage moment may have roots there. I still think that is a possibility. Anyway, sorry if you took it as a direct accusation.

Go USWNT!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

13 goals for women who want to celebrate World Cup wins

No, no, all wrong! (Alessandra Tarantino/AP)
    By Alexandra Petri
    Columnist
    June 13 at 12:13 PM

1. Do not score more goals than are strictly necessary to win. Scoring a lot of goals is rude, especially when you remember that many people do not have goals ever in their lives and could really use them. Recklessly scoring 13 in a single match, when people have played soccer for hours without scoring even one, is disrespectful and takes goals away from those who badly need them!

2. Maybe? If not, why are people upset? I don’t really understand this.

3. Thirteen goals is too many, though, and the number is unlucky!

4. Seven seems like a good number. Stop, if you can, at seven.

5. You should not celebrate the goals too much. Celebrate the first goal with all the joy you would show at the birth of a first child, then the second goal with somewhat less joy, then the third goal with a kind of annoyance. Upon the fourth goal, you should make a face like, “Is this happening? Bank error in my favor, I guess!” Attribute the fifth goal to God, or a higher power of your choice. After the sixth goal, take the whole team out and try to figure out what you are doing wrong. The seventh goal should be a mistake. The eighth goal should cause you to become enraged at the referee for allowing such a travesty to take place. After the ninth goal, grab the ball and shout at it. The 10th goal, if possible, should be in your own goal. There should be no 11th or 12th goal, let alone a 13th.

6. Instead of scoring another goal against the other team, once you have reached the minimum needed to win, try just running around the field pointedly not scoring. This will make the other team feel better than if you were to play against them to the best of your ability.

7. Never display any feeling when you win other than the steely resolve not to reveal your true exhilaration, like a wife in a movie wearing a nice button-down shirt watching her husband set foot on the moon.

8. Certainly do not describe yourself as Great or the World’s Greatest. Even if — especially if — statistically, that is what you are.

9. You might think that if you win, you ought to apologize to the other team, and you would be right! But not in a manner that implies you feel in any way superior to them on account of having won. Instead, say something neutral, such as, “Well, sometimes the ball hits your foot, and then, you know, you really hope it’ll go toward the goal, but it’s really up to the ball, really the ball deserves the credit here.”

10. Be sure also to credit luck, the fans and the weather for your victory. Your teammates, too, but not too much, as that might seem like pride, or as though you felt you in some way participated in their achievement.

11. Perhaps look sad when you win, but not too sad. That, too, is poor sportsmanship.

12. Do not cry, except with joy. Do not laugh, except with frustration. Do not not apologize, ever.

13. There is a way of doing this right. There must be a way of doing all this that will make everyone like you. That is right. Or what is the point? Or why are they criticizing you now?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    My official stance on this controversy ...

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mickeyrat said:

13 goals for women who want to celebrate World Cup wins

No, no, all wrong! (Alessandra Tarantino/AP)
    By Alexandra Petri
    Columnist
    June 13 at 12:13 PM

1. Do not score more goals than are strictly necessary to win. Scoring a lot of goals is rude, especially when you remember that many people do not have goals ever in their lives and could really use them. Recklessly scoring 13 in a single match, when people have played soccer for hours without scoring even one, is disrespectful and takes goals away from those who badly need them!

2. Maybe? If not, why are people upset? I don’t really understand this.

3. Thirteen goals is too many, though, and the number is unlucky!

4. Seven seems like a good number. Stop, if you can, at seven.

5. You should not celebrate the goals too much. Celebrate the first goal with all the joy you would show at the birth of a first child, then the second goal with somewhat less joy, then the third goal with a kind of annoyance. Upon the fourth goal, you should make a face like, “Is this happening? Bank error in my favor, I guess!” Attribute the fifth goal to God, or a higher power of your choice. After the sixth goal, take the whole team out and try to figure out what you are doing wrong. The seventh goal should be a mistake. The eighth goal should cause you to become enraged at the referee for allowing such a travesty to take place. After the ninth goal, grab the ball and shout at it. The 10th goal, if possible, should be in your own goal. There should be no 11th or 12th goal, let alone a 13th.

6. Instead of scoring another goal against the other team, once you have reached the minimum needed to win, try just running around the field pointedly not scoring. This will make the other team feel better than if you were to play against them to the best of your ability.

7. Never display any feeling when you win other than the steely resolve not to reveal your true exhilaration, like a wife in a movie wearing a nice button-down shirt watching her husband set foot on the moon.

8. Certainly do not describe yourself as Great or the World’s Greatest. Even if — especially if — statistically, that is what you are.

9. You might think that if you win, you ought to apologize to the other team, and you would be right! But not in a manner that implies you feel in any way superior to them on account of having won. Instead, say something neutral, such as, “Well, sometimes the ball hits your foot, and then, you know, you really hope it’ll go toward the goal, but it’s really up to the ball, really the ball deserves the credit here.”

10. Be sure also to credit luck, the fans and the weather for your victory. Your teammates, too, but not too much, as that might seem like pride, or as though you felt you in some way participated in their achievement.

11. Perhaps look sad when you win, but not too sad. That, too, is poor sportsmanship.

12. Do not cry, except with joy. Do not laugh, except with frustration. Do not not apologize, ever.

13. There is a way of doing this right. There must be a way of doing all this that will make everyone like you. That is right. Or what is the point? Or why are they criticizing you now?

HAHAHA

points made.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    edited June 2019
    I as a soccer fan have no problem with USWNT running up the score. Don't like it,  field a better team instead of the crap that was out on the field or you know actually try to score a goal instead of playing defense. The outrage over this is everything that's wrong with today's pc culture. I hope they continue to run up the score every game.  I wonder if that joke of a USMNT  ever did this, would people be this upset. These are grown ass women, don't like it, then don't watch and stick to watching your local youth league games where they keep no score and everyone gets a trophy. 

I remember one year when I was around 7 or 8, our team came in 5th place and we got the most shittest soccer trophy ever. When our reps for the league were handing out the trophies, everyone in the  auditorium was clapping so awkwardly for us it was embarrassing. Some of my teammates dropped their trophy right then and there infront of everyone, others threw them out after awards night was over with. 
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Jason P said:
    My official stance on this controversy ...

Can't put it any better than this.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I know it was Guyana, but nice to see the MNT dominate an inferior opponent last night like they should be doing.  Good things seem to happen when Pulisic is out there.  And what a start for Tyler Boyd!  Glad he made the switch to the US from New Zealand.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Can the women's team beat the men's team? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    edited June 2019
    not even if it was 11 on 8. 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I know it's a joke, but the men's team would win by a bigger margin than the Thailand game.

In college, my average to below average D2 team would scrimmage our women's team who is regularly a final four and national champion contender and they barely touched the ball.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2019
    Hope Solo just admitted this was on purpose and a tactic from the trainers/her to stress the Swedish player out:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/usas-goalkeeper-hope-solo-changed-gloves-before-swedens-winning-penalty-shootout-kick/news-story/10a43f80ad48cc3835fc9cb80a8728d8

After the match, Solo didn’t hold back in her assessment of the opposition.

“We played a bunch of cowards,” Solo told Sports Illustrated. “The better team did not win today. I strongly believe that. I think you saw American heart. You saw us give everything we had today.”

Sow what is this "american heart" exactly? Cheating? Being a weasel?

Fuck that shit.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Hope Solo just admitted this was on purpose and a tactic from the trainers/her to stress the Swedish player out:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/olympics/usas-goalkeeper-hope-solo-changed-gloves-before-swedens-winning-penalty-shootout-kick/news-story/10a43f80ad48cc3835fc9cb80a8728d8

“We played a bunch of cowards,” Solo told Sports Illustrated. “The better team did not win today. I strongly believe that. I think you saw American heart. You saw us give everything we had today.”

Fuck that shit.

Why are you posting three year old articles while the world cup is going on? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck that shit.

Re-read my post. I bolded the answer to your question - as in the point of me posting, that you evidently missed the first time, just for you.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    chinese-happy.jpg

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    People.

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    Agreed, I feel like I'm missing something....getting inside your opponents head has been apart of sports forever.
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    Agreed, I feel like I'm missing something....getting inside your opponents head has been apart of sports forever.
    But, regardless of your interest in it -  did you at least get an answer to your question in the last post of yours?
    mcgruff10 said:

Fuck that shit.

better yet a 3 yr old PARTIAL quote....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    Much like the current "controversy", no one that matters. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    The Thai women kept it a lot closer than the US women could do against the men's team.
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    I would think there isnt many reasons why it would matter so little bu you still have to comment on how little it matters.

it seems to matter enough for Solo to talk about it several years later. And she is a US soccer play. And this is a US soccer thread. 

So. Yeah. Why would i matter so little then But you still having to come in here commenting on How little it matters?
    edited June 2019
    hey , she said it immediately after the game..

https://mobile.twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/764187928851582976

Post edited by Kat on

mrussel1 said:

Fuck that shit.

Who gives a shit?
    I would think there isnt many reasons why it would matter so little bu you still have to comment on how little it matters.

it seems to matter enough for Solo to talk about it several years later. And she is a US soccer play. And this is a US soccer thread. 

So. Yeah. Why would i matter so little then But you still having to come in here commenting on How little it matters?
    Dude the article is three years old. 
    Dumb article and independent of the point, but Hope Solo is a trash person.
    and she was the first to sue USSF over pay disparity.

edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    hey dumbfuck, she said it immediately after the game..

You should get banned for calling me "dumbfuck". 

But other than that, where here "immediately after the game" does she admit they faked her gloved being broken to stress the person ready to kick the penalty?

Please point it out to me? i would love to know @mickeyrat

Help a fellow out? 
    mickeyrat said:
    and she was the first to sue USSF over pay disparity.
    Which I also don't necessarily agree with because the women certainly don't make the USSF as much money as the men do.
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    hey , she said it immediately after the game..

You should get banned for calling me "dumbfuck". 

But other than that, where here "immediately after the game" does she admit they faked her gloved being broken to stress the person ready to kick the penalty?

Please point it out to me? i would love to know @mickeyrat

Help a fellow out? 
    I m not a fan of her’s but I don’t think she did anything wrong.  Like I said, getting in your opponents head is apart of the game.  And it s not like she s playing in the World Cup so again, who cares?
    Post edited by Kat on