Options

U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Jumb0 said:
    This Portugal-Italy situation is pretty wild. Assume Italy will make it but that would be insane if they didn’t 

All the complaining about how it’s not fair that one of them isn’t going to make it was so stupid. Maybe if they had of played better and won games against all the lesser teams they played they wouldn’t be in this position. 
    I don’t know about any complaining. I don’t disagree. I’m just saying it’s crazy. Have they played games since this? One looking more likely?
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Jumb0 said:
    This Portugal-Italy situation is pretty wild. Assume Italy will make it but that would be insane if they didn’t 

All the complaining about how it’s not fair that one of them isn’t going to make it was so stupid. Maybe if they had of played better and won games against all the lesser teams they played they wouldn’t be in this position. 
    I don’t know about any complaining. I don’t disagree. I’m just saying it’s crazy. Have they played games since this? One looking more likely?

When the draw came out lots of Twitter was in an uproar that it wasn’t fair. Basically Italy and Portugal both deserve to be in the World Cup on name alone. 

The knockout tourney picks up in January and assuming they win their games they will face each other in the semifinals 
  • Options
    Congrats to NYCFC and to coach Deila to living up to his promise, lol!
  • Options
    19 year old winger Alex Mighten switching to the US from England. Plays for Nottingham Forest and has represented England at every level from U15 to U20.

Berhalter is a hell of a recruiter 
  • Options

Cleaning out some stuff from my moms and came across these. Fucking awesome and can’t wait until the next one here
  • Options

Cleaning out some stuff from my moms and came across these. Fucking awesome and can’t wait until the next one here
    Damn. If she gets a stack like that in 2026 let me know. I’ll take a couple. 
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

Damn. If she gets a stack like that in 2026 let me know. I’ll take a couple. 
    I remember getting the tickets to this day. I was watching the same version of sportscenter, per usual, and my dad said just hit redial on the phone over and over to try to get tickets while you’re sitting there. It finally rang and we got a 5 game pack. Sold one first round game and the game without teams listed on the tickets was Bulgaria-Mexico. Two great teams at the time. Amazing memory and time
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    John Brooks must have done something to really piss off Berhalter.  He had a couple rough games with the US recently but a guy that regularly starts in the Bundesliga isn't good enough to even make the roster???

Also, scheduling these 2 upcoming home qualifiers in Ohio and Minnesota is absolutely absurd.  Especially Minnesota....it will be 0 degrees at game time.
  • Options
    John Brooks must have done something to really piss off Berhalter.  He had a couple rough games with the US recently but a guy that regularly starts in the Bundesliga isn't good enough to even make the roster???

Also, scheduling these 2 upcoming home qualifiers in Ohio and Minnesota is absolutely absurd.  Especially Minnesota....it will be 0 degrees at game time.

Brooks is having a horrible run at Wolfsburg. Got benched a few weeks ago and I don't think he's even come off the bench at all. Supposedly doesn't do any media that the team asks him to do either. 

As for the games a few things went into the decisions. 1st to make it as miserable as possible for El Salvador and Honduras. 2nd to prepare the team as much for the game in Canada as possible. And 3rd travel. Cincinnati-->Hamilton-->St. Paul.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Positives from last night. 

Got the 3 points. Most important goal accomplished.
    McKennie-Musah-Adams are terrific together. 

Negatives

Pulisic wandered into the middle way to often and made it much easier for El Salvador to defend. He needs to stay wide and create more 1x1s.
    The #9 is still a big ?. I'm sure GGG was resting Pepi for Canada, but Ferreria didn't have a good game. Absolutely should have had 1 goal and very well could have had 2. 
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:

Brooks is having a horrible run at Wolfsburg. Got benched a few weeks ago and I don't think he's even come off the bench at all. Supposedly doesn't do any media that the team asks him to do either. 

As for the games a few things went into the decisions. 1st to make it as miserable as possible for El Salvador and Honduras. 2nd to prepare the team as much for the game in Canada as possible. And 3rd travel. Cincinnati-->Hamilton-->St. Paul.  
    Cincinnati is one thing but Minnesota in January is absolutely absurd.  The conditions will be miserable for the US too.  And the travel thing is way overplayed....these guys travel on chartered planes.  Not like they're toughing it out on a Southwest flight.  Are they really still that afraid of having fans from the opposing teams at these games???  Obviously they have to plan for that somewhat with teams like Mexico/Costa Rica but seems a bit much when we're talking about Honduras and El Salvador.

The MMA midfield is great....Adams is just awesome.  Not sure what is going on with Pulisic...feels like he needs to get out of Chelsea.  Wherever he is, he needs to be starting regularly and doesn't look like that will be happening with Tuchel.
  • Options
    No disagreement...just think that's what the reasoning was.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    Who’s brilliant idea is having matches in Minnesota in February? Is it planned to fuck the south of the border teams?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Some idiots and yes, that is the reasoning
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    My buddy is going to the game here on Wednesday night. They're allowing battery operated warming devices. It's going to be insane. Be interesting to see whether the NHL Winter Classic or the USMNT game will end up being colder.

Projecting to be miserable...

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    That's an absolute joke that they're playing this game there.  A must win game and they'll be playing in below zero temps.  Embarrassing for US Soccer.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    3 degrees with a -10 windchill for kickoff tonight.  Those are legit dangerous conditions to be outside.  US Soccer is such a joke of an organization.  And of course it's an absolute must-win for the US tonight and they'll be dealing with these absurd conditions.
  • Options
    3 degrees with a -10 windchill for kickoff tonight.  Those are legit dangerous conditions to be outside.  US Soccer is such a joke of an organization.  And of course it's an absolute must-win for the US tonight and they'll be dealing with these absurd conditions.
    Yeah, it's a disgrace
  • Options
    Zero reason this game is in Minnesota. I get Columbus prior to Canada, but this game should be in Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Orlando etc. 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 644
    I get cold just by thinking about it. Surface hard as a rock. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    The good news is both teams will be playing in the same conditions. If we can't beat Honduras, a trip to Qatar is not deserved anyway.
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:
    The good news is both teams will be playing in the same conditions. If we can't beat Honduras, a trip to Qatar is not deserved anyway.
    Exactly.  US Soccer scheduled this in Minnesota for an "advantage" yet both teams will be playing in dangerously cold conditions in what has become a pivotal match for the US to qualify for the world cup.  And agreed that if the US can't beat Honduras then they don't deserve to go to Qatar but this has just become comical.
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    edited February 2022
    FiveBelow said:
    Exactly.  US Soccer scheduled this in Minnesota for an "advantage" yet both teams will be playing in dangerously cold conditions in what has become a pivotal match for the US to qualify for the world cup.  And agreed that if the US can't beat Honduras then they don't deserve to go to Qatar but this has just become comical.
    Hopefully both teams get by without any injuries because of it.

• Options
    That kid can get the ball out of the air 
  • Options
    Insane how the ball always finds him 
  • Options
    Good result.  Apparently 2 Honduras players got hypothermia.....what a joke.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    Good result.  Apparently 2 Honduras players got hypothermia.....what a joke.
    Sounds like they got the result they wanted.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    McKennie was an absolute beast last night
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    McKennie was an absolute beast last night

Yep he is all over the place out there.  He has quickly become my favorite US player.  Rumors of him transferring to Spurs in the summer...would be enjoyable to watch him play for my favorite team.