Options

U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Um, is this another false alarm with Messi?  Sure seems real, but I don't know how you can count Saudi out
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Seems to be. I've read MLS is going to give him a share of the Apple TV+ streaming revenue
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    Seems to be. I've read MLS is going to give him a share of the Apple TV+ streaming revenue
    Indeed it is, though he says it's not yet 100% in stone.  Crazy stuff.  Going to be quite the couple years leading up to the World Cup.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,435
    Get-in-the-door tickets for LAFC / Miami in Los Angeles now start at $500.....crazy!!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Get-in-the-door tickets for LAFC / Miami in Los Angeles now start at $500.....crazy!!
    for the possibility of seeing a “thrilling 0-0 draw”? pass.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Why did he go to Miami? They have the worst record in MLS. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    $$
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Becham part 2.

I will see him though given the chance.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

Not a mildly close comparison. Sure, Messi is not what he was but he is probably the best player of all time, undeniably top 3, is coming off the World Cup and had offers to play in Europe. 

Beckham probably wasn’t a top 100 player of all time and was washed 
  • Options
    I am so excited for soccer the next few years. Messi is going to bring an energy and attention we haven’t seen before. Plus leading up to the World Cup. Going to be an awesome few years for soccer. 

US team needs to get their shit together and ride the momentum 
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

Not a mildly close comparison. Sure, Messi is not what he was but he is probably the best player of all time, undeniably top 3, is coming off the World Cup and had offers to play in Europe. 

OK so Pele pt 2.

You can't tell me Beckham coming here wasn't a big deal. He was at one time one of the best that Man U ever had.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

You can't tell me Beckham coming here wasn't a big deal. He was at one time one of the best that Man U ever had.
    Agreed, but Pele with a more established league and the power of global media/social media.

It was a huge deal, which is why this is such a bigger deal.

And not saying this is going to turn the MLS into a world class league overnight, but it's going to be an interesting few years in this country for soccer
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

Agreed, but Pele with a more established league and the power of global media/social media.

And not saying this is going to turn the MLS into a world class league overnight, but it's going to be an interesting few years in this country for soccer
    3 times I got excited about MLS, well 4 if I was old enough.  Pele coming, Beckham coming, Kobe Jones possibly becoming the next great(didn't happen) and Messi.

Messi will be the headliner.  The US doesn't have great MLS players because they all go overseas if they are worth their salt.

People will get noticed but it still has a long way to go for notoriety.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

3 times I got excited about MLS, well 4 if I was old enough.  Pele coming, Beckham coming, Kobe Jones possibly becoming the next great(didn't happen) and Messi.

Messi will be the headliner.  The US doesn't have great MLS players because they all go overseas if they are worth their salt.

Completely.  It's going to take a lot more than the last few years of Messi's career to make the MLS a legit league and the US players should be going overseas to play.  I do think the MLS, in general, is become more popular and it's just going to be a fun few years between Messi and then the World Cup. 
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

Completely.  It's going to take a lot more than the last few years of Messi's career to make the MLS a legit league and the US players should be going overseas to play.  I do think the MLS, in general, is become more popular and it's just going to be a fun few years between Messi and then the World Cup. 
    When we had the World cup in 1994 I didn't care one bit, lol.  It was promoted heavily but soccer was not on my radar.  It took me living in Barbados to care.  Jones being a player to watch was a spark but he left to go over seas so we never saw him until MLS became something.

With the amount of coverage soccer gets now, the MLS playoffs are fun as hell to watch because they are the best teams, the regular matches are ok, I'll watch them and Mexico premier games.  I don't know any names as good as I should but I enjoy the play, I watch Mexico games in Spanish, lol.  I know more about the Premier League overseas.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    $$

nah that can't be it. He's a rich futbol player :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

When we had the World cup in 1994 I didn't care one bit, lol.  It was promoted heavily but soccer was not on my radar.  It took me living in Barbados to care.  Jones being a player to watch was a spark but he left to go over seas so we never saw him until MLS became something.

With the amount of coverage soccer gets now, the MLS playoffs are fun as hell to watch because they are the best teams, the regular matches are ok, I'll watch them and Mexico premier games.  I don't know any names as good as I should but I enjoy the play, I watch Mexico games in Spanish, lol.  I know more about the Premier League overseas.
    Right. 1994 was cool for soccer fans. My family went to 4 games at Giants stadium and I have awesome memories of that. That was the heyday of my youth soccer. That was cool and that team in general, Jones included, were a popular team.

But yeah, it's a different world and there is more coverage, agreed on the playoffs and just in general the media world we are in opens everything up
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

It's just hard to take the league seriously.  What are they up to now? Like 30 teams???  And all you hear about is them adding more and more teams.  Never going to be a world class league until they trim the fat and start promotion/relegation.....which will never happen.  I'm just happy a majority of the top US guys are in Europe....wait until you're 35 and come home for a nice payday like everyone else does with MLS.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

It's just hard to take the league seriously.  What are they up to now? Like 30 teams???  And all you hear about is them adding more and more teams.  Never going to be a world class league until they trim the fat and start promotion/relegation.....which will never happen.  I'm just happy a majority of the top US guys are in Europe....wait until you're 35 and come home for a nice payday like everyone else does with MLS.
    For sure. I don't follow the business side of the MLS closely at all, but I don't really understand the strategy on the number of teams and expansion either.  I assume it is all local $$, and the teams are all VERY popular locally so I am sure it's a solid money maker, but yeah, the already suspect talent gets watered down quickly.  Agreed.

I mean, I'd love it to be a world class league and for US players to be able to play here, but that's a ways off. I do think Messi will have a huge impact though, then coming out of the world cup.  This just seems like such an important time for US Soccer, so again, get it the fuck together Men's team.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

For sure. I don't follow the business side of the MLS closely at all, but I don't really understand the strategy on the number of teams and expansion either.  I assume it is all local $$, and the teams are all VERY popular locally so I am sure it's a solid money maker, but yeah, the already suspect talent gets watered down quickly.  Agreed.

I mean, I'd love it to be a world class league and for US players to be able to play here, but that's a ways off. I do think Messi will have a huge impact though, then coming out of the world cup.  This just seems like such an important time for US Soccer, so again, get it the fuck together Men's team.
    Yeah the way the MLS operates is wild.  Designated players, targeted allocation money, etc.. will make your head spin.  It's just really hard to take it seriously.  But yeah, Messi playing here will be nothing but a positive.  He's going to absolutely dominate that league.

USMNT still don't have a coach.  Not hiring a new coach prior to the Nations League and Gold Cup this summer is not ideal.  Especially with the lack of serious competition before 2026 since they don't have to go through qualifying.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

Yeah the way the MLS operates is wild.  Designated players, targeted allocation money, etc.. will make your head spin.  It's just really hard to take it seriously.  But yeah, Messi playing here will be nothing but a positive.  He's going to absolutely dominate that league.

USMNT still don't have a coach.  Not hiring a new coach prior to the Nations League and Gold Cup this summer is not ideal.  Especially with the lack of serious competition before 2026 since they don't have to go through qualifying.
    Callaghan is going to coach now and Berhalter can apply for the coaching position.

He was investigated, he was cleared.
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

Callaghan is going to coach now and Berhalter can apply for the coaching position.

Yeah I know.  My point was that it's ridiculous that Berhalter's contract expired in December and they still don't have a coach appointed.  
  • Options
    Becham part 2.

OK so Pele pt 2.

Yeah I know.  My point was that it's ridiculous that Berhalter's contract expired in December and they still don't have a coach appointed.  

They did the same thing before hiring GGG. Everyone knew it was going to be him but they still drug their feet on it.

Now everything is pointing to Marsch getting the job but crickets from the USSF with a huge match just a week away. I guess it makes some sense to not bring in a new face at this point, but why not a month ago?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Beckham deal was a great deal he invested 25 million and it returned him 600 million Messi deal is better unreal! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Didn’t see any of the game besides clips on Twitter but what an absolutely wild night for us soccer.

There is no sports team I dislike more than Mexico soccer
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,238
    Didn’t see any of the game besides clips on Twitter but what an absolutely wild night for us soccer.

Watched the entire match. You could tell from the first whistle it was gonna be wild. Mexico total sore losers and got owned and couldn’t handle it. It was great to see the US respond with such intensity. Was a great domination by them.
  • Options

I opted to watch Ohtani pitch yesterday but I sure as hell would have watched this had I known it was on.

Reading the highlights I'm not surprised.  We've owned Mexico for years now and they've done the same bullshit for years.

Keep winning USA, just keep winning.

Berhalter is going to be back, Pulisic 2 goals and 2 USA  players suspended...  We need to do better on that.

• Options
    CONCACAF out CONCACAF'd itself last night.

Wish they had the balls to actually do something about Mexico and their fans.

But, whatever. On to our real rivals on Sunday.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    CONCACAF out CONCACAF'd itself last night.

Wish they had the balls to actually do something about Mexico and their fans.

But, whatever. On to our real rivals on Sunday.
    They did stop the game when there was 7 minutes left or so.