The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    And yes I feel blessed being born in one of the sane countries. Not the best maybe. 

But still. Seems to be up there. 

Not many other things Ive been blessed with. I guess having a dad loving Neil Young is a close second. 
    Then you should send my family and Meltdown's and McGruff's a thank you card for enjoying yourself.  Because without the help of the US and Canada, you'd have spent your youth in the goosestep.  
    Never said I've had a problem with the US joining the war.

Doesn't make the US a better country to live in for its citizens with this laughable hard on for predatory capitalism and the military.

viva le Swedish "folkhem" model. B l e s s e d

(and Sweden did help the Allies out in WW2)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And yes I feel blessed being born in one of the sane countries. Not the best maybe. 

Not many other things Ive been blessed with. I guess having a dad loving Neil Young is a close second. 
    Then you should send my family and Meltdown's and McGruff's a thank you card for enjoying yourself.  Because without the help of the US and Canada, you'd have spent your youth in the goosestep.  
    I forgot to include that my grandfathers brother (so my great uncle?) was a survivor of the Bataan death march. He went to a Japanese pow camp for the remainder of the war and somehow survived. 
    Spirtual you can send me a case of your best local beer as a way of saying thanks. 
    I honestly think Sweden would have been conquered by the Russians if we didn’t intervene. Scandanavia would have went red and mainland Europe would be saluting the swatistka even to this day. 
    Germany looked up to Sweden. We were the model for the perfect mench. No way Adolf would have let Russia have us. Our blond hair and blue eyes would have kept us safe.

Is it legal to send alcohol from one private person to another?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I forgot to include that my grandfathers brother (so my great uncle?) was a survivor of the Bataan death march. He went to a Japanese pow camp for the remainder of the war and somehow survived. 
    Spirtual you can send me a case of your best local beer as a way of saying thanks. 
    I honestly think Sweden would have been conquered by the Russians if we didn’t intervene. Scandanavia would have went red and mainland Europe would be saluting the swatistka even to this day. 
    Man, I can't believe he was in the death march and made it.  I can't even imagine the hell.  
    Yeah you are talking over three years in a POW camp on top of the March.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    mrussel1 said:

Never said I've had a problem with the US joining the war.

Doesn't make the US a better country to live in for its citizens with this laughable hard on for predatory capitalism and the military.

viva le Swedish "folkhem" model. B l e s s e d

(and Sweden did help the Allies out in WW2)
    Did they help like they helped transport German materials to the eastern front?  Do they just help whoever asks and it was a convenient time to help the Allies AFTER we were on the mainland?  Were you guys like Italy, but can't even raise an arm?  I mean they jumped sides, but at least they handled a weapon.  
    We do appreciate that you aren't critical of the US (and Canada) for saving your country.  That's big of you.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Man, I can't believe he was in the death march and made it.  I can't even imagine the hell.  
    Not a hero to your president though. He likes the ones whos not getting caught ;)
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not a hero to your president though. He likes the ones whos not getting caught ;)
    Very true. I mean I don’t know how he couldn’t have been caught. But I screwed up my story a little bit.  My grandfathers sister ( my great aunt) was a nurse during world war 2. She took care of my future uncle after he was released from the camp. They fell in love and were married 50 years before my great aunt mary passed. So the guy who survived wasn’t my blood line if that makes any difference. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Very true. I mean I don’t know how he couldn’t have been caught. But I screwed up my story a little bit.  My grandfathers sister ( my great aunt) was a nurse during world war 2. She took care of my future uncle after he was released from the camp. They fell in love and were married 50 years before my great aunt mary passed. So the guy who survived wasn’t my blood line if that makes any difference. 
    It's kin. You should be proud of their service.  
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:

We do appreciate that you aren't critical of the US (and Canada) for saving your country.  That's big of you.  
    Well ofc. I am able to be objective. 

That is one of the perks of not being raised in a country with an alarming amount of spoon-feeding of nationalism and singing the national anthem 15-16 times a day. :P 

(And for some perspective, the US didn't join the war for over two years before they themselves were attacked)

A lot of people died with the US being neutral for those two years. A shame.
    mrussel1 said:

That is one of the perks of not being raised in a country with an alarming amount of spoon-feeding of nationalism and singing the national anthem 15-16 times a day. :P 

(And for some perspective, the US didn't join the war for over two years before they themselves were attacked)

You're sorely mistaken on so many levels.  Get out of your basement.  

Second,  it's a shame how your country enabled the the Einsatzgeuppen and their war crimes. I think that mark runs a tad deeper.  
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Second,  it's a shame how your country enabled the the Einsatzgeuppen and their war crimes. I think that mark runs a tad deeper.  
    Well, at least we never napalmed children and mocks countries who try to help out Syrian refugees  :s .

Have fun in your basement. Whatever that means. In the San Francisco area it is uncommon with basements. But the Roger Rabbit-voice actor - who also plays the sleep expert in A Nightmare on Elm Street, has one - and Jake Gyllenhall finds himself walking down into it. Scary stuff. A thrill in the movie theater. Finches knows what he's doing.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, at least we never napalmed children and mocks countries who try to help out Syrian refugees  :s .

Have fun in your basement. Whatever that means. In the San Francisco area it is uncommon with basements. But the Roger Rabbit-voice actor - who also plays the sleep expert in A Nightmare on Elm Street, has one - and Jake Gyllenhall finds himself walking down into it. Scary stuff. A thrill in the movie theater. Finches knows what he's doing.
    Napalm trumps firing squads? Congrats.  

The rest of what you wrote is gibberish.
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  (The second part about the us not entering the war). 
    If you want you can sit in a class of mine and I ll teach you why we sat out.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    The entire conversation is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Why comment If you have no interest in world war 2?
    edited May 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    I have a massive interest in WWII. Why would you think otherwise? But this isn't a conversation about WWII really. It's one about which country is the biggest jerk or the best participant when it comes to WWII, and it seems to be getting used as some kind of weird pissing contest between you guys on these boards: Sweden vs USA. It's just really strange to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    I have a massive interest in WWII. Why would you think otherwise? But this isn't a conversation about WWII really. It's one about which country is the biggest jerk or the best participant when it comes to WWII, and it seems to be getting used as some kind of weird pissing contest between you guys on these boards: Sweden vs USA. It's just really strange to me.
    Just to add - Im not the one jerking off my own country for joining and i have said nothing about Sweden joining or not joining. 

The D-day documentary was Interesting though. 
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    It is also very strange to me too.  I m glad to hear you have an interest in world war 2. Besides your hockey affiliation and calamari sauce you seem like a very cool person. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  (The second part about the us not entering the war). 
    If you want you can sit in a class of mine and I ll teach you why we sat out.  
    And if you want you can pick up a book and read up on why Sweden decided on staying neutral.
    edited May 2019
    Americans were practically isolationists before WWII, really, plus their military really wasn't up to snuff in 1939. Plus the public was simply not in the mood at all, so that encouraged the politicians to stay neutral. Obviously Pearl Harbour changed all that.
    Seeing jokes being made in the media about Beto still running. 

What has happend to his campaign?
    edited May 2019

I have no idea - everyone seemed to have stopped paying any attention to him. I think there was only room for one moderate in the front runner race, and Biden won.
    PJ_Soul said:

I have no idea - everyone seemed to have stopped paying any attention to him. I think there was only room for one moderate in the front runner race, and Biden won.
    Or one Young JFK hottie and buddahedgeedge took his thunder. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    So long as he feels compelled to make one statement that he thinks encompasses 300 million people,  I'm going to do the same.  The ignorance is astounding to me and I won't sitand not write back.  We've been through it 5 different times at least. 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:

I noticed that HBO had a special that aired on him two days ago (premiered at SXSW earlier this year). I wonder if he was laying low with intentions of a ‘restart’. That theory should be proven or disproven within a matter of a few days!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    So long as he feels compelled to make one statement that he thinks encompasses 300 million people,  I'm going to do the same.  The ignorance is astounding to me and I won't sitand not write back.  We've been through it 5 different times at least. 
    Oh, the irony 
    Is the first primary debate in july?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Calculate How Much Your Child Care Would Cost If Elizabeth Warren Were President

Photo: Christopher Goodney/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
    The costs of child care in the United States have skyrocketed in recent years, making it nearly impossible for many families to have access to high-quality, affordable care. Research shows costs go up to an average of $9,500 per year and, in 28 states, one year of child care can cost more than one year of college tuition.
    But what if Sen. Elizabeth Warren were to become president and able to implement her universal child care plan? What kind of relief would you receive? Well, you don't have to do the math in your head anymore. On Thursday, the Massachusetts Democrat unveiled a calculator that allows you to see how much your family could save under her universal child care and early education proposal. You can use it for yourself, right here.

I'd be good with this proposal.  This is better than Sanders proposals (and even some of hers) because it's actually means tested and therefore progressive in nature.  Bernie's proposals are not progressive, they are socialist.  
    Socialistic ideas helped build the greatest* democracies in the world. 

(* not the US)
    Capitalism built the greatest army that saved the world*

(*not Sweden)
    I’m not sure it was capitalism as much as it was socialism with government take over and control of large swaths of public life and private industry, particularly during WW2.

/The fact that the factories existed at the time of war that could be easily converted, was a product of capitalism.  And when a state takes control of resources, that's communism more than socialism.  
    But they didn’t exist at the capacity required and took huge government subsidies to ramp up and expand to meet the production capacity required. They didn’t invest their profits to expand. Uncle Sam paid them to do it. The US economy at the start of WW2 was still suffering from the Great Depression.

All true, but that's not socialism.  If anything, that's corporate welfare.  Anyway, I'm not into arguing this, I'm just not going to let broad statements that only serve to knock the US go unchallenged.  If someone wants to discuss a policy and how America can improve, I'm all for that.  But that's not his strategy here nor ever.  I don't even understand why he gives a fuck about what it's like to live here since he hates the US so deeply.  He should just thank his lucky stars that he is blessed enough to live in the country that my uncle helped save.  
    Government heavily subsidizing industry for the "collective good" for the defeat of Nazi Germany and suspending laws and regulations through EOs and without Congress = socialism, to me. Not worth an argument but the propaganda of the US being this bright shining light on  a hill, which it is, is because of the trampled masses at its base. And WW2 and its aftermath allowed the global economy and "norms" to flourish due to alliances, trade treaties and mutual agreements, nations that trade together and help their respective economies flourish, live in peace. Something Israel has yet to learn. All of which Team Trump Treason is trying to tear down. As for Spirtual chiming in, he's allowed to express his opinion and point out that the US isn't as clean, fair, great, or any other descriptor he uses. Its okay, particularly if you've read Howard Zinn and A People's History of the United States. A lot of ugly shit in there and in our nation's history. That said, I'm always amazed at what and how all sides sacrificed during WW2, for their respective beliefs and what they were caught up in. And thanks to your uncle for his service and for anyone who serves.
    He's free to say it and I'm free to beat it down.  Those are some of the freedoms that were fought and earned in the 18th century when no other country on Earth would allow such dissent.  
    Oh please. The Greeks prioritized free speech in the 5th century BC. It’s hubris to pretend that only the US has or had such values. 

Yes the Greeks did 2k years ago, and then it died.  And it was dead for 2k years.  Not even the Republic matched the Greeks.  The Greeks were an anomaly.  No other people had the freedoms extended to US citizens at the time of the Constitution.  If I'm missing a country, please call it out but I cannot think of one. But it sure as fuck wasn't Sweden, the Dutch, the English, French, Holy Roman, Russian, etc.   I'm  glossing over the blight of slavery of course.  It's not hubris if it's factual.  
    That’s funny. I’m pretty sure that in most counties in the world you’d have had the right to disagree with some random guy with whom you had a discussion about countries of origin.  
    I'm talking about the government, not random citizens.  
    That was not at all what your original post that I responded to was about. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

That was not at all what your original post that I responded to was about. 

The whole thing is tongue in cheek.  Is the reason I'm going down this path that obscure?  If you notice my posting style after all of these years, I never apply statements to entire populations, countries, etc.  I try to hold individuals accountable for their actions.  I'm hardly a jingoist or a nationalist, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone apply a statement to the 300 million people that live here.  
    And my point stands around criticism of the gov't being legal as an anomaly in the late 18th century.  It was uniquely American at the time. My apologies for not being specific enough.  
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Find a statement that I've made, unprovoked by your ass, that is USA#1, rah rah.  You won't find it.  We'll go through this cycle again next time you make a similarly disparaging statement for no reason.  Unfortunately I have to keep going back to WW2 because Sweden is inconsequential post the Viking invasion of Wessex until then, and after.  
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I noticed that HBO had a special that aired on him two days ago (premiered at SXSW earlier this year). I wonder if he was laying low with intentions of a ‘restart’. That theory should be proven or disproven within a matter of a few days!
    Yes supposedly they are doing the proverbial 'reboot'.  There's just not enough oxygen for all of these candidates right now.  I don't think he's a player.  I may be wrong, but I think it comes down to the big dogs, Biden Sanders Warren and one more.  I think that one more is Harris.  The problem is can anyone but three get into SC without being broke?  

My best guess now is that Biden wins NH because Warren and Sanders will split that vote.  Sanders wins Iowa with Biden in second.  Biden mauls everyone in SC.  Then we are down to three.  Super Tuesday sets up really well for Biden.  
This discussion has been closed.