Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    CAT IN THE HAT RULES!

My brother refuses to let his kids read Cat in the Hat. Calls it a bad influence :weary:  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thing 1 and Thing 2. come on. 

I didn't say it wasn't funny. It was just a comment that obviously went over your head. no need to dissect the shit out of it. LOL
    Thing 1 and Thing 2? I don't know what that means. 
    Seriously, you don’t? My goodness.  Not a lot of Seussing in your childhood? 
    Literally none as far as I can remember. I was aware of green eggs and ham because you couldn't avoid it, but I never liked it as a kid at all. I literally learned to read with Mr. Men books, which had clear, coherent storylines, and then I jumped right into choose your own adventure and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe series and Little House, etc. All that Dr. Seuss rhyming and randomness just didn't do it for me. :lol: The only book I have any clear memory of before the age of 4 is that caterpillar book, where it eats through all the fruit. I loved that!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's also a very popular (yet cheesy) halloween costume for twins. it's literally everywhere. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Thing 1 and Thing 2. come on. 

I didn't say it wasn't funny. It was just a comment that obviously went over your head. no need to dissect the shit out of it. LOL
    Thing 1 and Thing 2? I don't know what that means. 
    Seriously, you don’t? My goodness.  Not a lot of Seussing in your childhood? 
    Literally none as far as I can remember. I was aware of green eggs and ham because you couldn't avoid it, but I never liked it as a kid at all. I literally learned to read with Mr. Men books, which had clear, coherent storylines, and then I jumped right into choose your own adventure and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe series and Little House, etc. All that Dr. Seuss rhyming and randomness just didn't do it for me. :lol: The only book I have any clear memory of before the age of 4 is that caterpillar book, where it eats through all the fruit. I loved that!
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle. 

Yup, it’s a good one. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Sooooooo.... Poop & Pee mascots 

Okey dokey then 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Green party leader now has a drinking partner in Ottawa. She won’t feel so lonely anymore.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nanaimo Green party candidate won handily in the federal byelection yesterday, doubling the number of MPs ;). Good news for the Greens as we head toward the federal election. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nanaimo-ladysmith-byelection-1.5125549
    I just read of the death of Jean Vanier, "Canadian champion of the developmentally disabled", the founder of L'Arche and one of the first proponents of integration and de-institutionalization for the developmentally disabled. Honestly, I had no idea he was still alive, as his work began in the 60s.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/obit-jean-vanier-1.5125807
    Youngest elected mayor in B.C. history pleads guilty to sex assaults of four boys

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-press-newsalert-former-b-c-mayor-pleads-guilty-to-sex-assault-of-boys?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2ST4xGCYybN0rgoy3OEFJL9VRk9dQGUBMIMqdYExszs9H9rCoFJpkGVsw#Echobox=1557240258

Shortly after a brief B.C. Supreme Court appearance in Smithers, his lawyer Stanley Tessmer said Strimbold is very remorseful and has been a good person in his life, but he has also made serious mistakes.

Only a lawyer would say a convicted sex offender is a good person...lawyers come by their rep honestly.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    He's a serious sicko. And I bet there are more victims too - I hope they come forward and have their day in court as well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    There usually are more victims.  A town next to mine just had the Fire Chief convicted of a bunch of sex crimes against minors, after he was convicted, the crown filed new charges as more victims came forward...sick people...my guess is that we all have worked around these folks at some point in our life.

Give Peas A Chance…

The Trudeau clown show continues.  Hopefully, Norman sues the fuck out of Trudeau and Canada.  Of course, Trudeau the lazy fuck will not be in question period Thursday, a day devoted to the PM answering questions...
    Give Peas A Chance…

LMFAO at the hypocrisy.  He does not want people burning fossil fuels unless it going to cost him his job.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

It's good that thst we the taxpayers are paying his legal fees...just too bad we have such incompetence in government...nice hair though.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That ship that started this BS charge is now operational...it was the ship the military wanted, not the ship that Brison wanted to give to his buddies at Irving shipbuilders...hope Norman sues Trudeau and Brison...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

Love your mascot Victoria...lol

I see you are finally getting around to treating your raw sewage...yeah, yeah...save me the company line that the current is so strong that it doesn't matter...despite evidence to the contrary.

Mr. Hanky?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989

The Trudeau clown show continues.  Hopefully, Norman sues the fuck out of Trudeau and Canada.  Of course, Trudeau the lazy fuck will not be in question period Thursday, a day devoted to the PM answering questions...

embarrassing for all Canadians,  sorry but JT has to go 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    edited May 2019

LMFAO at the hypocrisy.  He does not want people burning fossil fuels unless it going to cost him his job.  
    LMFAO at your ignorance. You seriously have NO clue what you're talking about when it comes to the Transmountain pipeline and BC's opposition to it, or how that ties into gas prices. Seriously, stop, at least until you know some facts. There is literally nothing hypocritical about this position, and it also has nothing to do with Transmountain. That pipeline literally wouldn't lower gas prices one single penny. There isn't even a refinery here - pretty much all of the oil coming through that pipeline would be sold overseas. And most of our gas comes from Washington state because those are the closest refineries. Horgan wants to discover exactly why and how gas companies are getting away with gouging consumers, and raising prices here nonsensically without any apparent connection to the market. How in the hell are you opposed to that??

Also, why are you suddenly obsessed with BC issues here? You never were before. Now you just keep posting BC stuff and only making criticisms without actually understanding the issues.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Give Peas A Chance…
    A more accurate representation of how things went down with the Normal case.

https://www.timescolonist.com/you-are-free-to-leave-how-the-case-against-mark-norman-ended-1.23816275

OTTAWA — Vice-Admiral Mark Norman had walked up to the entrance of the Ottawa courthouse dozens of previous times over the past year, yet this time was different: This would be the last time.

Like on all those other occasions, the military's former second-in-command was dressed in full uniform as he approached the courthouse's heavy glass doors with his wife Beverly and lawyers Marie Henein and Christine Mainville.

Just outside the doors, he was greeted by an unexpected supporter: outgoing Liberal MP and former lieutenant-general Andrew Leslie, who was revealed just last week as a potential defence witness.

"General," Norman said. "Good morning. Good to see you."

"Morning, Admiral," Leslie replied, shaking Norman's hand and giving him a brief embrace.

Courtroom 37 was already packed with journalists, supporters and a group of students by the time Norman and his team arrived and took their seats near the front. A few minutes later, everyone stood as Justice Heather Perkins-McVey entered.

And then federal Crown prosecutor Barbara Mercier stood and delivered a history lesson about the case.

How it all started with "obvious leaks to the media" about a cabinet decision in November 2015, delaying sole-source contract with Quebec-based Davie Shipbuilding for an interim support ship for the navy.

How those leaks "really had serious effects and it did cause concern for the government," which prompted an internal probe, which led to an RCMP investigation that included interviews with 30 witnesses.

How the Public Prosecution Service of Canada "did a thorough analysis of the evidence and the law" and made a "considered decision to lay the charge of breach-of-trust against Vice-Admiral Mark Norman" in March 2018.

How prosecutors believed then that they had a reasonable prospect of conviction, even though the bar for proving without a reasonable doubt any crime has occurred is "rightfully high," and is even higher with breach of trust.

And then, Mercier continued, how Norman's lawyers came forward with "a volume of information" in March that "provided greater context to the conduct of Vice-Admiral Norman" and revealed "a number of complexities in the process."

"Based on new information, we have come to the conclusion that given the particular situation involving Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, there is no reasonable prospect of conviction," Mercier concluded.

"It continues to be our view that some of Vice-Admiral Norman's actions were ... secretive and inappropriate," she added. "However, inappropriate does not mean criminal."

Then it was Henein's turn. This decision, to stay the proceedings, was months in the making, Henein said, and a demonstration of Crown prosecutors' having "acted in the highest traditions of the bar."

"There has not been a day that Vice-Admiral Norman has walked into this court that we did not have the utmost confidence that this court would be impartial," she added, before noting that the case had been exhausting for her, for Norman and for his family.

Nonetheless, "we were prepared to fight to the end," Henein said. "He did nothing inappropriate. He did nothing criminal."

And then, after many months of silence, it was Norman's turn to rise and address the court. His comments focused on thanking Perkins-McVey and the court staff.

"My only regret," he told the judge, "is that we would have met under different circumstances."

Perkins-McVey was the last to speak, and she reflected on how only the day before, she had received yet another package of documents from the government to review and decide whether they were relevant to the case and should be released.

"I know that all counsel have worked very hard to get to the point and that this decision was made after much reflection and consideration," she said.

"Vice-Admiral Norman, you entered a plea of not guilty. You are presumed to be innocent and you remain so. You are free to leave."

As an interesting aside, it appears that all of the primary officials of the court and legal system in this case are women - judge, Crown, and defense. 

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    Literally no one with a brain in BC could possible be surprised by this. And we all know we have the BC Liberals to thank for it, since they just sat back and knowingly let it happen over the 16 straight years they were in power (I'm sure some also actually profited from it). Vancouver is literally the money laundering capital of the world (mainly used by China, and yes, the Chinese government has involvement as well).

Report finds $5B laundered through B.C. real estate in 2018

Veterans Affairs bungles VE-Day video by showing Nazis
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-affairs-nazis-video-ve-day-1.5130515

Walter Dorn, a professor of defence studies at the Canadian Forces College and at the Royal Military College told CBC News it's unclear if there are any Canadian troops in the footage. 

"Some of the images show German uniforms," Dorn said. "What's most notable is the eagle just above a Nazi symbol worn just above the right brevet."

My gosh...what an insult...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Maybe Trudeau has a problem with female lawyers...

Give Peas A Chance…

Huh. Seems like the last time you commented on lawyers, they were all the scum of the earth. 

LOL...that is a pretty damn good insult...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Huh. Seems like the last time you commented on lawyers, they were all the scum of the earth. 
    And guess what, my opinion hasn't changed about lawyers...but unfortunately, at some point, most of us need a lawyer at some point...still does not mean what his particular lawyer said wasn't the truth...but still these lawyers billed us for 500 grand...and if the other side was playing fairly and turned over the requested documents this likely would have never gotten this far.

Now take for the example of Guy Paul Morin a working stiff who paid 100 of thousands in legal fees to prove his innocence.  Just because I agreed with a particular statement from a lawyer does not mean I support the profession and their greedy ways...

Give Peas A Chance…

Do you question every poster intentions on here, with what you perceive as a misstep to try to corner people...or is it just me?  Because you are a real piece of work in my eyes...
    Give Peas A Chance…