Outrage Culture

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:
    so on April Fool's Day, Justin Bieber pulled a prank that his wife was expecting. Everyone is now in a tizzy that this was highly insensitive to those who can't conceive or have had miscarriages, etc. and he had to make a public apology. 

unbelievable. 
    I wonder how much of this was "outrage to all things Justin Bieber."
    not from what I read. 
    Did this take place all on Twitter? 

If so, more proof that it's a cesspool. 
    Twitter is a cesspool, we agree on that... as is pretty much all of social media
    In full agreement. Got off all of it, except here and Reddit.
    never been on reddit. isn't that one of the worst of them all?
    Definitely some places there are terrible, but you can curate your own content. I go there for the news and a laugh.

PJSoul is also right, it is a great source for tech problems (or any other head scratches you might have). Also a good place to find concert pre-sale passwords and such.

I also find Youtube is a great resource if you have to fix your computer, car and anything home reno related. It's all there.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I suppose this could be seen as aver-reacting but if I were black or Hispanic or Asian, I would probably think not.  Besides, I never understood the appeal of being a part of a crowd of people all trying to look the same.  I'm happier being an iconoclast. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    I suppose this could be seen as aver-reacting but if I were black or Hispanic or Asian, I would probably think not.  Besides, I never understood the appeal of being a part of a crowd of people all trying to look the same.  I'm happier being an iconoclast. 
    there is absolutely zero inherently racist about this. it all started in the 80's with Winnipeg's playoff answer to Calgary's Sea of Red. our home jerseys at the time were white, when the jets came back, it switched, but the "white noise" and "whiteout" tradition remained. if anything, it is all-inclusive. for someone to draw some type of parallel between this and the KKK is absolutely absurd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Some group is comparing Jet fans wearing all white to support their team in the playoffs to the KKK...whoever is making that comparisons are nuts and the media for even giving these clowns attention is even crazier...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    that was one of the things that people were pissed about. a local radio station had this person on, and the station was flooded with complaints about giving this person a platform. it is just so ludicrous I don't even know where to begin. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I do not even think the Jets are the only sports teams to do an all white out during the post-season...just plain nuts.  I hope the fans just say FU and continue their tradition.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Some group is comparing Jet fans wearing all white to support their team in the playoffs to the KKK...whoever is making that comparisons are nuts and the media for even giving these clowns attention is even crazier...
    agree 100%. the media giving these nut jobs a platform is just dumb.

if the lights go out in the city can we no longer call it a blackout?
    I think it's stupid that the Jets color isn't black.  Jet black.  Everyone knows, ya know!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Fake news! The Jets are going out in the first round anyways.

;)
    dignin said:

;)
    I believe this to be true. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    dignin said:

;)

Yep...you can't open with the stinky Wild every year.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    brianlux said:
    I'm betting the vast majority of non-white people think this is as idiotic as anyone else.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I'm betting the vast majority of non-white people think this is as idiotic as anyone else.
    Let's take a poll!

Ah, but where? 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    brianlux said:
    If people cannot understand the symbolism of the MAGA hat then that is on them. It’s not a challenging item of information to misinterpret.

It’s one thing to support McDonald and his dogshit mess in the hopes that maybe there’s method in the madness... it’s a whole other thing to proudly flaunt it.

In my mind, one can safely be stereotyped wearing a MAGA hat. One cannot safely be stereotyped by the basis of their skin colour.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said her, Thirty.  But maybe a good question to ask is, What will more likely change the perspective of someone who wears a MAGA hat- ridiculing someone you don't know much about other than a quick glimpse on social media or educating them about the reality of the fact that Trump and his supporters are generally making America worse, not great? 

Don't get me wrong, I have the save gut reaction to anyone wearing a MAGA hat- "You're an idiot!"  But telling them that might not be the best way to change their mind or reverse the tide of what many of us see as an ever worsening of America.  It's easy to do the former, damn hard to do the latter.  I'm sometimes guilty of making the wrong choice that way.
    Too often people forget that politics is the art of convincing others in the righteousness of your position. It's about getting new votes.  Calling them idiots does not accomplish that.  It's why I think it's foolish for candidates to refuse to do the Fox townhall.  I know that's not the citizens obligation necessarily.
    Occasionally I see someone in an airport with a hat or shirt and it takes restraint not to say something. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    In high school we played a game in gym class called Murderball.  It was exactly like dodgeball, except not with a big red rubber bouncy ball.  No, Murderball was played with partially deflated volleyballs.  That shit HURT!!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    In high school we played a game in gym class called Murderball.  It was exactly like dodgeball, except not with a big red rubber bouncy ball.  No, Murderball was played with partially deflated volleyballs.  That shit HURT!!
    We classed it up a bit and called it "European Handball" lol!

I got t o take a volleyball and whiz it as fast as I wanted at a person in front of a net.

Loved it.

It wasn't for the kids whom were non-athletic.  They stayed out of the way and chose to not participate.

I can see how the game was bad for some.
    The idea of banning dodgeball is so sad to me.... Although I never witnessed it being used as a way to abuse other students when I was a kid. Bullying really wasn't a very bad problem in the schools I went to. As far as I could tell, the only "bullying" that generally happened was people being socially neglected. I.e. the bully victims simply didn't really have any friends and weren't included in activities outside of school, not invited to parties, etc. That is very very sad, but it's not like kids should be forced to hang out with people they don't like... which I think some kids are also being forced to do now... not sure how I feel about that.
    The issue of the reduction in the number of honey bees came up on another forum and, reading about it there, this struck me as a good example of "outrage culture" gone askew yet again.   When the subject of honey bees comes up, people often freak out and worry that crops will fail if the honey bees die off.  That may be true in some places but I don't see how that can be true in North America.  The honey be is an exotic (non-native) species.  It was introduced here in 1622.  There are about 4,000 other bee species in North America and they are as good at pollinating as the honey bee-- or better-- honey bees don't pollinate tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.  My best hunch is that a lot of the hoopla over this issue is generated by the honey industry.  If I'm wrong about that, my apologies- but I'd need some good evidence to believe I'm wrong.

It might be helpful if we were all taught lot more about science before we get caught up freaking out about something science related because somebody tweeted it or it showed up on "the news".

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    The issue of the reduction in the number of honey bees came up on another forum and, reading about it there, this struck me as a good example of "outrage culture" gone askew yet again.   When the subject of honey bees comes up, people often freak out and worry that crops will fail if the honey bees die off.  That may be true in some places but I don't see how that can be true in North America.  The honey be is an exotic (non-native) species.  It was introduced here in 1622.  There are about 4,000 other bee species in North America and they are as good at pollinating as the honey bee-- or better-- honey bees don't pollinate tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.  My best hunch is that a lot of the hoopla over this issue is generated by the honey industry.  If I'm wrong about that, my apologies- but I'd need some good evidence to believe I'm wrong.

It might be helpful if we were all taught lot more about science before we get caught up freaking out about something science related because somebody tweeted it or it showed up on "the news".
    You're very wrong, and frankly, that theory doesn't even make any sense. It disturbs me that there are actually people out there spreading such info to people like you - it's like an anti-bee force. It's so odd because it is completely against their well-being as well as ours. I have even heard multiple recent stories about people literally destroying bee hives out of malice for some fucking reason. The honey industry can easily grow its own hives - the honey supply is the least of anyone's concern, including honey manufacturers. Very little of the honey you see in the store is wild honey. Obviously we still need thing pollinated in North America. I'm not sure where you heard bees aren't important to crops that need pollination, as that is clearly not true. Most of our crops come from Europe - it's not like we are farming like Natives from eons ago. Our crops need the European honeybee to survive. Yes, there are other pollinators. But honeybees are incredibly important to North America as well.

Also, it sounds like you live on a property that might be good for bee hives. There are organizations that will set up bee hives on people's property for a reasonable fee (this is like charity on the property owners' parts), and they will maintain the hives for you, and also teach you one-on-one about bee keeping. :) I would do it, but I can't, as I live in an apartment, and they only set up in yards and on rooftops.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

You're very wrong, and frankly, that theory doesn't even make any sense. It disturbs me that there are actually people out there spreading such info to people like you - it's like an anti-bee force. It's so odd because it is completely against their well-being as well as ours. I have even heard multiple recent stories about people literally destroying bee hives out of malice for some fucking reason. The honey industry can easily grow its own hives - the honey supply is the least of anyone's concern, including honey manufacturers. Very little of the honey you see in the store is wild honey. Obviously we still need thing pollinated in North America. I'm not sure where you heard bees aren't important to crops that need pollination, as that is clearly not true. Most of our crops come from Europe - it's not like we are farming like Natives from eons ago. Our crops need the European honeybee to survive. Yes, there are other pollinators. But honeybees are incredibly important to North America as well.

Also, it sounds like you live on a property that might be good for bee hives. There are organizations that will set up bee hives on people's property for a reasonable fee (this is like charity on the property owners' parts), and they will maintain the hives for you, and also teach you one-on-one about bee keeping. :) I would do it, but I can't, as I live in an apartment, and they only set up in yards and on rooftops.

My baby boxer attacked a wasps nest last week and was stung in the eye.  It blew up like a balloon.  Fortunately benadryl knocked it out in a matter of hours.  That night, I took her out and she went right back to the hive (it was under the grill) and started snapping at it again.  I yanked her out and then hit it with the wasp spray, killing them off.  The little pup is fearless.  

That story had nothing to do with anything, although I'm mildly curious if wasps pollinate?  Did I make things worse?
    Do not take this the wrong as you 2 are both very knowledgeable...who do I believe?  I hope this debate continues.  I will go to your link PJ.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

My baby boxer attacked a wasps nest last week and was stung in the eye.  It blew up like a balloon.  Fortunately benadryl knocked it out in a matter of hours.  That night, I took her out and she went right back to the hive (it was under the grill) and started snapping at it again.  I yanked her out and then hit it with the wasp spray, killing them off.  The little pup is fearless.  

That story had nothing to do with anything, although I'm mildly curious if wasps pollinate?  Did I make things worse?
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say that wasps pollinate too! ... That's a tricky one though. Bees are one thing, but wasps can be so aggressive. You can't really live with a wasp nest on or next to your house. But there are ways to remove a wasp nest without killing them. Google it next time! :)
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I’m still killing wasps when I see them....well if it’s me or the wasp situation I mean. Wasp is a goner
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited June 2019
    I’m still killing wasps when I see them....well if it’s me or the wasp situation I mean. Wasp is a goner
    Yeah, sure, if it's me or the wasp, I'm choosing me, lol. I'm actually TERRIFIED of them. Have been ever since my real-life wasp nightmare. My and my then-hubby were woken up one night with terrible sharp pains on our legs. We were yelling, "WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!", threw back the covers and found 5 or 6 wasps IN our bed!! We both had several bites or stings or whatever wasps give you. It was just awful! We had no clue where these fuckers had come from though. We looked and looked. Nothing. So the next night... it happened again, but MORE wasps in our bed, and more bites/stings. :cry: Of course by then I couldn't even sleep anymore. And then AGAIN they were in our bed on the third night. But finally I happened to look up at the right time, and saw one crawling out of this minuscule little hole that was right in the corner of the bedroom ceiling - it was basically invisible. It turned out that that wasp nest was inside the outer wall, and they had chewed this tiny passage into our bedroom, and kept all crawling down seeking the warmth of our bed. As soon as either of us moved in our sleep they all went into defense mode. Obviously because of that, if there is a wasp that I can't just sort of corral out of the balcony door, it's a dead duck. However, I wouldn't want to kill an entire nest of them unless there was no other way to get rid of it (like with that nest inside that wall - the humane methods wouldn't work for that unless you tore the entire wall right off, and that wasn't an option for the building managers).
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, sure, if it's me or the wasp, I'm choosing me, lol. I'm actually TERRIFIED of them. Have been ever since my real-life wasp nightmare. My and my then-hubby were woken up one night with terrible sharps pains on our legs. We threw back the covers and found 5 or 6 wasps IN our bed!! We both had several bites or stings or whatever wasps give you. It was just awful! We had no clue where these fuckers had come from though. We looked and looked. Nothing. So the next night... it happened again, but MORE wasps in our bed, and more bites/stings. :cry: Of course by then I couldn't even sleep anymore. And then AGAIN they were in our bed on the third night. But finally I happened to look up at the right time, and saw one crawling out of this minuscule little hole that was right in the corner of the bedroom ceiling. It turned out that that wasp nest was inside the outer wall, and they had chewed this tiny passage into our bedroom, and kept all crawling down seeking the warmth of our bed. As soon as either of us moved they all went into defense mode. Obviously because of that, if there is a wasp I can't just sort of corral out of the balcony door, it's a dead duck. However, I wouldn't want to kill an entire nest of them unless there was no other way to get rid of it (like with that nest inside that wall - the humane methods wouldn't work for that unless you tore the entire wall right off, and that wasn't an option for the building managers).
    Wow that is the worst!  I have never heard of such of thing.  My ten year old daughter is deathly afraid of wasps, even though she's never been stung by anything like that.  If I tell her that story, she would be in our bed for a month.  For the record, it was a brand new nest and had four wasps working it.  I didn't feel bad though.  Bastards hurt my youngest animal.  
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, sure, if it's me or the wasp, I'm choosing me, lol. I'm actually TERRIFIED of them. Have been ever since my real-life wasp nightmare. My and my then-hubby were woken up one night with terrible sharps pains on our legs. We threw back the covers and found 5 or 6 wasps IN our bed!! We both had several bites or stings or whatever wasps give you. It was just awful! We had no clue where these fuckers had come from though. We looked and looked. Nothing. So the next night... it happened again, but MORE wasps in our bed, and more bites/stings. :cry: Of course by then I couldn't even sleep anymore. And then AGAIN they were in our bed on the third night. But finally I happened to look up at the right time, and saw one crawling out of this minuscule little hole that was right in the corner of the bedroom ceiling. It turned out that that wasp nest was inside the outer wall, and they had chewed this tiny passage into our bedroom, and kept all crawling down seeking the warmth of our bed. As soon as either of us moved they all went into defense mode. Obviously because of that, if there is a wasp I can't just sort of corral out of the balcony door, it's a dead duck. However, I wouldn't want to kill an entire nest of them unless there was no other way to get rid of it (like with that nest inside that wall - the humane methods wouldn't work for that unless you tore the entire wall right off, and that wasn't an option for the building managers).
    Wow that is the worst!  I have never heard of such of thing.  My ten year old daughter is deathly afraid of wasps, even though she's never been stung by anything like that.  If I tell her that story, she would be in our bed for a month.  For the record, it was a brand new nest and had four wasps working it.  I didn't feel bad though.  Bastards hurt my youngest animal.  
    Oh, pshaw, killing just a few wasps to prevent them from building a nest is no biggie. I would recommend that you put some preventative shit on the grill and in any other spots you think might be a good spot for a nest. They tend to come back and try again when their attempts at nesting are disturbed. I learned that when yet another nest was up inside the balcony floor of the balcony above mine. So the ceiling of my balcony. They kept coming back and trying again in the same place until i had some shit that would deter them sprayed in there. Now I never see them hovering around shopping for a good spot, lol.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

=) ...I enjoyed the story...
    Give Peas A Chance…