Knowing What You Know Now, Would You Still Support Trump for President?

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    benjs said:
    yes, because Canada is so diverse. i'm sure you are hanging out with a ton of brown people right now at a hockey game
    So... your claim is that Canada isn't a diverse place? Diversity is as much a Canadian thing as hockey is, and if you're going to make outlandish claims, can you be at least a bit less lazy, and confirm someone can't prove you wrong that easily? You've wasted my time which I wasted just to make sure lies don't linger last and people don't buy this crap. I typed "canada diversity" into Google and the below was the first link. 

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011/as-sa/99-010-x/99-010-x2011001-eng.cfm

By the way - anecdotally, I work extremely closely with a Lithuanian accountant, a Russian merchandiser, an Ethiopian (and Muslim if we're mentioning religious diversity) analyst, a South African project manager, a Chinese store manager, an Indian developer (who replaced a great guy who was Indonesian), two managers from England (and one from Ireland). By the way, I'm extremely fortunate to work with said people. They're  respected and integrated members of our workplace community, who I've learned plenty about a strong work ethic from.
    Yeah but a great comment. However if comparing to the US.

canadian mintorities = 20% (rounded)
    us minorities = 52%

definitly a big difference 
    cincy, good point. Reading my own link more carefully (I should practice what I preach clearly), that 20% represents immigrants to Canada (i.e. people who are foreign-born), and doesn't consider those born to immigrants in Canada, so my apologies as it clearly doesn't prove what I suggested it did.
    I think what might be a better source is looking at our latest census (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/imm/Table.cfm?Lang=E&T=31&Geo=01&SO=4D). There, you'll see that less than a third of those polled actually identified as Canadian (11,135,965/34,460,065 = 32.3%).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    yes, because Canada is so diverse. i'm sure you are hanging out with a ton of brown people right now at a hockey game
    So... your claim is that Canada isn't a diverse place? Diversity is as much a Canadian thing as hockey is, and if you're going to make outlandish claims, can you be at least a bit less lazy, and confirm someone can't prove you wrong that easily? You've wasted my time which I wasted just to make sure lies don't linger last and people don't buy this crap. I typed "canada diversity" into Google and the below was the first link. 

By the way - anecdotally, I work extremely closely with a Lithuanian accountant, a Russian merchandiser, an Ethiopian (and Muslim if we're mentioning religious diversity) analyst, a South African project manager, a Chinese store manager, an Indian developer (who replaced a great guy who was Indonesian), two managers from England (and one from Ireland). By the way, I'm extremely fortunate to work with said people. They're  respected and integrated members of our workplace community, who I've learned plenty about a strong work ethic from.

us minorities = 52%

cincy, good point. Reading my own link more carefully (I should practice what I preach clearly), that 20% represents immigrants to Canada (i.e. people who are foreign-born), and doesn't consider those born to immigrants in Canada, so my apologies as it clearly doesn't prove what I suggested it did.
    I think what might be a better source is looking at our latest census (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/imm/Table.cfm?Lang=E&T=31&Geo=01&SO=4D). There, you'll see that less than a third of those polled actually identified as Canadian (11,135,965/34,460,065 = 32.3%).
    Ah, and this is actually a better measure of diversity than simply race...I think anyhow. My numbers were race based. So can’t compared directly.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

us minorities = 52%

Ah, and this is actually a better measure of diversity than simply race...I think anyhow. My numbers were race based. So can’t compared directly.
    It’s a surprisingly difficult question to answer since the two countries don’t gather stats the same way. The US gathers data on “race”, with categories such as white, black, etc, but Canada doesn’t. 

The best data I've found that tries to interpolate to fill in the gaps suggests that Canada is just a few percentage points more “white” than the US. We have far more people of Asian origin, fewer people of African descent, and quite a few more First Nations. These figures are several years old, though, so may already have changed. 

This website looks at “cultural diversity”, which encompasses more than just skin colour, and looks at language and culture as well, and it suggests that Canada is more diverse than the US. Of course, neither nation is anywhere near the most diverse in the world. 

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    wow. this is one of the most ignorant things I've seen on this board in a while. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:

us minorities = 52%

but I thought the US can't be compared with other countries? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    benjs said:

us minorities = 52%

Not sure where you got that. They can’t be compared in a vacuum that’s for sure. You can’t ignore size and other factors.... unless you think Brian operates his book store the same way amazon does.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    benjs said:

us minorities = 52%

Not sure where you got that. They can’t be compared in a vacuum that’s for sure. You can’t ignore size and other factors.... unless you think Brian operates his book store the same way amazon does.
    :lol: 

That and a cup of coffee got me off to a good start this morning.

Thanks, Cincy!

:plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

benjs said:

us minorities = 52%

just sarcastically tossing that back after it's hit over the net at non-americans so often. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019

You obviously know nothing about Canada at all - it's very diverse .... Hmm, let's see. As I sit here and look around my office, I can identify what I know to be 10 white people of Christian decent, 6 Chinese, 1 Malaysian, 2 Sri Lankans, 1 Indian, 1 Jew, 1 Colombian, and 1 Nepalese.
    Over 50% of my region is not white. So yeah, when I go to a hockey game there are a TON of brown people (in fact, Indo-Canadians are known as particularly huge hockey fans in this region), along with every other colour of people. Yes, there are other regions in this huge country that are mostly white - that would be the middle part and out in the sticks in general, just like it is in the USA. The difference is simply that the USA has WAY more large cities, which is where visible minorities are in greatest numbers, since those are the best places to go if you're a new non-white immigrant.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    When did they start playing hockey in Vancouver?...hmmmm
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    Damn you!

But seriously, look at how important the Indo-Canadian community is to Canucks fandom - the organization even saw fit to honour them as a cultural community of fans.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Twenty five years ago the New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks in the Stanley Cup.  Oh yeah!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    And eight years ago the Boston Bruins beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, in Vancouver, after being down 3 games to none. Oh Yea!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    And eight years ago the Boston Bruins beat the Vancouver Canucks in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, in Vancouver, after being down 3 games to none. Oh Yea!
    I think we all, canadian or not, remember that one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Vancouver was never up 3-0 in that series.  The only team to ever come back from being down 3-0 in the finals was Toronto in 1942 against Detroit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Vancouver was never up 3-0 in that series.  The only team to ever come back from being down 3-0 in the finals was Toronto in 1942 against Detroit...
    I thought the bruins were down 3-0 in all three finals? Maybe it was they were facing game 7s and winning after being down 2-0?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    Damn, my memory is going to shit as I’m totally wrong about both assumptions regarding the bruins. Maybe I’m mixing up seasons and sports. Dementia does run in the family, maybe I should retire?

Brilliantati©
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I thought the bruins were down 3-0 in all three finals? Maybe it was they were facing game 7s and winning after being down 2-0?
    Yeah, they were down 2-0, tied it up, lost game 5, then won 6 & 7 to win the Cup.  Boston outscored Vancouver 23-8 in the series but it still went 7 games.  Poor Sedin sisters...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Damn, my memory is going to shit as I’m totally wrong about both assumptions regarding the bruins. Maybe I’m mixing up seasons and sports. Dementia does run in the family, maybe I should retire?
    lol don’t say that even in jest Dementia is a bitch and we both know from experience ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    lol don’t say that even in jest Dementia is a bitch and we both know from experience ..
    It is a bitch but if I didn’t laugh, I’d be curled up in a ball. It’s amazing how humor can see you through some serious shit. “Gallows humor” exists for a reason, I think and no offense meant for anyone going through it.

Brilliantati©
    It is a bitch but if I didn’t laugh, I’d be curled up in a ball. It’s amazing how humor can see you through some serious shit. “Gallows humor” exists for a reason, I think and no offense meant for anyone going through it.
    I hear you that’s what keeps me going otherwise I’d be done ..
    mcgruff10 said:
    Twenty five years ago the New York Rangers beat the Vancouver Canucks in the Stanley Cup.  Oh yeah!!!!!
    That was when Messier called the victory in game 7 against NJ?  Correct, yes/no?
    Give Peas A Chance…

Believe me, there comes a time when it is imperative to make jokes about dementia or, as I like to call it, brain aging.  Believe me! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

So? Would you?

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The man has American’s blood on his hands. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I don't understand how anyone could vote for Trump again.  That includes a few people I know- people I like and respect in other ways- who probably will.  That makes retaining my respect for those few people damn difficult.  Maybe it's a lesson for me in learning how to "compartmentalize" or maybe it's a lesson in learning how to let go.  Or something I just haven't figured out.

In any case, I'll plead and beg for anyone who might vote for Trump again to please reconsider.  He is not doing any of us any good- unless you happen to be a billionaire.  I'm not sure how many billionaires we have on these boards.  Anyone?

brianlux said:
    I don't understand how anyone could vote for Trump again.  That includes a few people I know- people I like and respect in other ways- who probably will.  That makes retaining my respect for those few people damn difficult.  Maybe it's a lesson for me in learning how to "compartmentalize" or maybe it's a lesson in learning how to let go.  Or something I just haven't figured out.

In any case, I'll plead and beg for anyone who might vote for Trump again to please reconsider.  He is not doing any of us any good- unless you happen to be a billionaire.  I'm not sure how many billionaires we have on these boards.  Anyone?
    I won the lottery three times 
    1-day we arrived in this country from Chile 1971 to be reunited with my dad !
    2-day I married Kate
    3-birth of both my kids it really should be 4 times ...
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    brianlux said:

The part about compartmentalizing makes me think of my father in law and his best friend. They could not be more opposite in their political views. They know it, but they compartmentalize that part of their friendship.  They both know not to go there, but the few times I’ve seen one of them slip and “go there,” it turns into pure gold.  They go from
    being chums to wanting to choke each other in about 3 seconds. 😂  On the flip side, I have a friend who dislikes members of his own family to the point that he won’t even see them, all over political differences.  That to me is sad and he should get a lesson on compartmentalizing.  He’s too hard headed though. 
    bbiggs said:
    brianlux said:

The part about compartmentalizing makes me think of my father in law and his best friend. They could not be more opposite in their political views. They know it, but they compartmentalize that part of their friendship.  They both know not to go there, but the few times I’ve seen one of them slip and “go there,” it turns into pure gold.  They go from
    being chums to wanting to choke each other in about 3 seconds. 😂  On the flip side, I have a friend who dislikes members of his own family to the point that he won’t even see them, all over political differences.  That to me is sad and he should get a lesson on compartmentalizing.  He’s too hard headed though. 
    I have a cousin who is hard right.  We don't see each other often.  We did about 10 years ago  (for the first time in many years) and I had no idea he was on the far right.  Dinner discussion was interesting.  I had some of the baked chicken and half my tongue.   😂  He REALLY wanted to talk politics and I kept going back to, "Remember how we used to play in your backyard way back when?"

So, any defenders? NK still lobbing missiles, Americans dying in Iraq and Afghanistan and the wall still isn’t built. Jared Dear Boy is lost in space and hasn’t brought peace to the Middle East and Ivanka darlink wishes she was cardi b. Anyone seen Melania?

Brilliantati©