Time change. Again.

Comments

• oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    My dog was unimpressed. Had to be dragged out of bed this morning after an hour of people being up and around. The cat on the other hand was all over early breakfast. I just wish the powers that be would pick one time and stick to it. The constant flipping back and forth blows.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah another nuance that doesn’t affect my life in any way , people will complain about anything..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yeah another nuance that doesn’t affect my life in any way , people will complain about anything..

Well, there's lots to complain about. The time changes are related to higher rates of car crashes, higher rates of heart attacks, and more workplace injuries. 

Some studies suggest a small reductions in energy use, while others show a small increase; this is likely related strongly to local economies so probably can't be standardized. 

No evidence of overall benefits, and there is evidence of harms. It's time to get rid of the change.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's weird how people travel to different time zones ALL the time but no one bitches about that time change.  The time change is fine, people just fear change and make it out to be some big, bad voodoo that simply does not exist.  Anxiety over the change is probably the cause of all those things, not the time change itself.  Correlation != causality.
    It's weird how people travel to different time zones ALL the time but no one bitches about that time change.  The time change is fine, people just fear change and make it out to be some big, bad voodoo that simply does not exist.  Anxiety over the change is probably the cause of all those things, not the time change itself.  Correlation != causality.
    People don't bitch about jet lag? That's news.
    There's not a 16 page thread about it.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Well, there's lots to complain about. The time changes are related to higher rates of car crashes, higher rates of heart attacks, and more workplace injuries. 

Some studies suggest a small reductions in energy use, while others show a small increase; this is likely related strongly to local economies so probably can't be standardized. 

No evidence of overall benefits, and there is evidence of harms. It's time to get rid of the change.
    Essential thinning of the herd!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    There's not a 16 page thread about it.
    I guess we don't all fly internationally on the same day.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Jewelry store gets set to move 400 watches to daylight savings time
    https://q107fm.ca/news/5036365/jewelry-store-gets-set-to-move-400-watches-to-daylight-savings-time/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Doesn't effect my sleep at all, doesn't effect my toddler either.  Supposedly it effects children very much, I don't buy it.  I think 90% of the complaints are just people whining because that's what people do.
    Yep. Unless you go to bed super late or need an alarm to wake up on Sunday, you don’t lose any sleep at all. You sleep the same amount of time, it’s just a different time when you wake up. I never understood the whole losing/gaining sleep argument.
    Just another excuse for weak whiners to whine about their weaknesses.
    No, it's just a stupid archaic practice that has zero bearing on the present population.

I personally am not a fan of it being dark at 430 PM.  I am a fan of it being dark at 630 AM though.
    Soooooo, it's a stupid archaic practice... of which you enjoy the results?
    No...  I should have been clearer.  I am a fan of it being dark at 630 am instead of dark at 430 pm.  Stop the spring/fall thing and we can have more evening daylight.  That would be just fine w me.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Doesn't effect my sleep at all, doesn't effect my toddler either.  Supposedly it effects children very much, I don't buy it.  I think 90% of the complaints are just people whining because that's what people do.
    Yep. Unless you go to bed super late or need an alarm to wake up on Sunday, you don’t lose any sleep at all. You sleep the same amount of time, it’s just a different time when you wake up. I never understood the whole losing/gaining sleep argument.
    No, it's just a stupid archaic practice that has zero bearing on the present population.

I personally am not a fan of it being dark at 430 PM.  I am a fan of it being dark at 630 AM though.
    No...  I should have been clearer.  I am a fan of it being dark at 630 am instead of dark at 430 pm.  Stop the spring/fall thing and we can have more evening daylight.  That would be just fine w me.
    Right, that's exactly what DST does and what I was alluding to.  We agree, I'm all for more evening light.  I was just confused on your wording.  I'm definitely in favor of not "falling back" and just keeping this as permanent.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,771
    It's weird how people travel to different time zones ALL the time but no one bitches about that time change.
    I do! If you want, I can start a 16 page thread about it.

As for DST, just end it. Do it now, do it in the fall, I don't care. Just pick one and stick with it.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Right, that's exactly what DST does and what I was alluding to.  We agree, I'm all for more evening light.  I was just confused on your wording.  I'm definitely in favor of not "falling back" and just keeping this as permanent.
    I'm in favour of falling back and never springing forward again.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I'm in favor of the same, never "falling back" again. Let's stay sprung!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

You like 430am sunrises in the summer?  Fuck all that noise!!!
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, what do I care? I sleep with my blinds closed. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I'd need a room without windows.  At the very least some quality room darkening blinds.  And a shotgun to shoot all the damn birds waking me up at 4 in the morning!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I'd need a room without windows.  At the very least some quality room darkening blinds.  And a shotgun to shoot all the damn birds waking me up at 4 in the morning!
    The fucking birds wake me up starting at 4:30am in the summer anyhow. I also wish I could kill them all!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    BOO! not a huge fan of losing daylight,
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Just about the dumbest thing people do.  Only the government would continue with this kind of stupidity...the people in most polls want the clocks to stay the same.  But hey, why would the government want to listen to the people.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Why am I the only one at work right now? It's like everyone else is an hour late or something?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I love the treat of getting back that hour in the Fall! I don't even care that it because it was stolen from me in the spring, lol. And I don't GAF about daylight, really, so that doesn't play into it for me. I like nighttime just as much as I like daytime... Maybe even more.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love the treat of getting back that hour in the Fall! I don't even care that it because it was stolen from me in the spring, lol. And I don't GAF about daylight, really, so that doesn't play into it for me. I like nighttime just as much as I like daytime... Maybe even more.
    Umm....we lost an hour of sleep this weekend. You gain in the Spring .
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Errr, no, you've got it confused ... We fell back. So when it was bedtime on Saturday night, it said it was, say, midnight. But I set it back to 11:00pm. So if i had to wake up at 7am, then I got 8 hours sleep, instead of 7, which is what I would have had if the clocks hadn't been turned back. Opposite in the spring. Falling back is good.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Errr, no, you've got it confused ... We fell back. So when it was bedtime on Saturday night, it said it was, say, midnight. But I set it back to 11:00pm. So if i had to wake up at 7am, then I got 8 hours sleep, instead of 7, which is what I would have had if the clocks hadn't been turned back. Opposite in the spring. Falling back is good.
    What? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    What doesn’t make sense to me is we are only on standard time about 4 months, and DST about 8. Why is the standard to less used one? We should be on DST year round at that point.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    mace1229 said:
    What doesn’t make sense to me is we are only on standard time about 4 months, and DST about 8. Why is the standard to less used one? We should be on DST year round at that point.
    Used to be a pretty even split years ago (would spring forward in April and fall back in October), for whatever reason the dates got switched, don't know why.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    What? 
    :lol:

@PJ_Soul he's just messing with ya.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited November 2019
    Stupid time change.  Can't we just meet half way there and leave it be for good?  To me, changing the clock twice a year not only makes no sense, it's
    Dumb... dumb.  
    Dumb dumb dumb.

(Thank you, Juliana.)
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I’ve been like a couple hours early to work every day this week. Not sure what’s going on. 
    chinese-happy.jpg