2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    my2hands said:
    Old and dusty rock band with an old and dusty catalog

They used to be the best band on the planet... it's a shame they aren't interested in being that any more... they have just become a group of guys that get together once in a while to cash in and play songs they recorded 20+ years ago

Oh well, nothing lasts forever 
    At this stage of their career I'm fine with them putting out a record every 5-8 years and leaning into their prime material when they play live. I'd be hard pressed to think of many bands writing at their peak 25+ years into their career.

Yeah, it would be great if they toured more and fewer festivals/stadiums. The best antidote to that is diversifying your interests. It's great when they come around, but I hardly notice when they don't. I see 40-50 shows per year and if a couple are Pearl Jam, awesome. 
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    People can say what they want about DMB but Dave is an anomaly. Band tours almost every year past  twenty five years playing approximately 60 shows last year. I’d love to do the math and see the comparison of how many shows each band has down through their careers as they pretty much came around at the same time. Plus DMB actually still puts out albums. People on here might not like his music but go to ants marching and his following is just as big. Looks like I picked the wrong horse in 1994. Hah. 
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • my2hands said:

They used to be the best band on the planet... it's a shame they aren't interested in being that any more... they have just become a group of guys that get together once in a while to cash in and play songs they recorded 20+ years ago

Nobody wants a tour more than me.  I would say however the above is a bit negative.  They played 25 shows across 3 continents in 2018 and a fairly decent number in NA in 2016.  They may be trending toward an every other year tour, which is a bit frustrating, but this is far from meaning they’re calling it a career or mailing it in.  The energy at the 2018 shows was off the charts.  

And there’s a healthy dose of EV solo shows in the odd years for those of us that simply can’t wait.  There are four this year already announced (including one next week) and very strong rumours of another 10 or so shows in June.  Plus it’s still possible we could see a PJ tour this fall.  So I’m going glass half full on this and looking forward to seeing at least one of the EV solo shows. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    edited February 2019
    It's been a tough couple of years for band, I can understand that. But with the amount of shows in the states they have NOT played in besides for ballpark shows in 3 parts of the country since 2016 is alot, there are parts of the US going on 5+ years now. I'm finding it really heard to justify my membership since 98.
    Post edited by lowlight79 on
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    my2hands said:

I never thought I’d ever agree with a post like this but.....
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited February 2019
    nicknyr15 said:
    my2hands said:

Have faith, Nick....it's all we got! :-) 
    (It's been a rough couple of years for us and our favourite bands, hasn't it?)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    rummy said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    my2hands said:

Have faith, Nick....it's all we got! :-) 
    (It's been a rough couple of years for us and out favourite bands, hasn't it?)
    Yes. Most definitely. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,329
    This thread lately.....jeez, let's lighten up a bit.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Someone should start a 2020 rumour thread so we can start off on the right foot. 
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    edited February 2019
    Someone should start a 2020 rumour thread so we can start off on the right foot. 
    i have a feeling this will eventually turn into the 2020 rumor thread, i don't think there will be a new album until late this year at the earliest, but probably not until next year, and i definitely don't think there will be a tour until 2020 because both will coincide with their 30th anniversary... 
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    edited February 2019
    PJNB said:
    PJ30 at alpine valley with  new double album
    Post edited by trees on

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    trees said:
    PJNB said:
    Now that’s positive thinking! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    edited February 2019
    I get excited, and check for the latest tour rumors, BUT honestly, I'm okay with them not touring every year. They're in their 50's. Save the voices and ears and fingers and knees a bit. If they want to rest, they should. Tom Petty, who did take plenty of years off, could've taken 2017 off. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but who knows what might have happened?

I'm also cool with the band not putting out albums in a mechanical, timed kind of way. I realize that it's been over 5 years, but I think they should make art when and how they feel like making it. It's a bummer that the "Can't Deny Me" wasn't immediately followed by a full album, but it just wasn't meant to be. I hope they're excited when they enter the studio next. I think the results are better when artists feel inspired.
    Post edited by 3days on
  • I think older acts are touring more.  Neil young.  Dylan.  Eagles.  Bob Jovi.  All playing Ireland this year. Seems pj simply aren't arsed.  Hate to say it. 30 dates across Australia USA Europe over a few months isn't a lot to ask. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • How many dates did the stones do in 2018. How many have the who booked.  

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    trees said:
    PJNB said:
    Now that’s positive thinking! 
    I hope to see PJ play The Gorge and Irving Plaza again at least 20 more times before that comet is supposed to hit the Earth sometime in the Spring of 2041
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited February 2019
    Use 2019 to save money to travel to shows in 2020.  For most fans, at this point in their careers, traveling will be the only way to see shows. 

There will be an arena tour again someday I’m sure, but the frequency and the duration of them has significantly slowed and gotten shorter as everyone can see.  Traveling to destination shows is essentially a must at this point.  Have to take what you can get.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    Use 2019 to save money to travel to shows in 2020.  For most fans, at this point in their careers, traveling will be the only way to see shows. 

There will be an arena tour again someday I’m sure, but the frequency and the duration of them has significantly slowed and gotten shorter as everyone can see.  Traveling to destination shows is essentially a must at this point.  Have to take what you can get.
    It sucks because tickets are already hard to come by. This is going to make it even worse. It is telling though that in the last 3 years we have 7 USA shows and almost the same amount of EV shows. On top of that we have had (will have) over 20 EV shows in Europe. 

Who knows maybe they tour this year or maybe the next. When they do it will be 2013/14 all over again I am guessing but waiting until that happens is going to be tough for us impatient fans. 
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    PJ at Woodstock is over. Doesn’t sound like anything else planned for the summer except working on the new album. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As always things can change
    This is great news. Things need to be shaken up. New music, change the live shows. It’s gotten predictable which is something they’ve never been
    jdopj said:
    PJ at Woodstock is over. Doesn’t sound like anything else planned for the summer except working on the new album. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As always things can change
    This is great news. Things need to be shaken up. New music, change the live shows. It’s gotten predictable which is something they’ve never been
    Tour > No tour

What exactly would you like shooken up? They are not going to change there start/set ending/closers set up that they have and if you look at the Euro tour they mixed in a lot of songs in with an even shorter set then usual. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This thread lately.....jeez, let's lighten up a bit.

Lighten up about what, the truth?
    eboweddie said:
    How many dates did the stones do in 2018. How many have the who booked.  
    The Stones and The Who debuted in 1963 and 1965, almost 30 years before PJ,  and their band members are now all about 75 years old... and I for one do not want PJ to emulate their careers, especially 20 years earlier lol

The Who have 30 shows booked so far and the Stones have 18 US Stadium shows I believe...
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    Hell, PJ will always be #1 in my books, but I find listening is not as exciting at the moment as there’s no “events”, etc to be excited for. I always find when there are dates booked or even solid rumors I love the music even more. Never mind new music on the horizon. Even when Can’t Deny Me came out I was so pumped listening to every Pj tune.  Beginning of this year hasn’t been as exciting to listen. Probably sound like an entitled fan after years of what they’ve given us, but nonetheless. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    pjl44 said:
    my2hands said:

At this stage of their career I'm fine with them putting out a record every 5-8 years and leaning into their prime material when they play live. I'd be hard pressed to think of many bands writing at their peak 25+ years into their career.

Yeah, it would be great if they toured more and fewer festivals/stadiums. The best antidote to that is diversifying your interests. It's great when they come around, but I hardly notice when they don't. I see 40-50 shows per year and if a couple are Pearl Jam, awesome. 

Nope. They're out there. 

http://youtu.be/nssJ6NXndU4
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    jdopj said:

A star is reborn

https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-sad-2019-rumor-revealed-will-play-woodstock/

While many Pearl Jam fans have been hopeful that Pearl Jam would play the Woodstock 50th anniversary show at Watkins Glen International Race Track or the celebration at the original Bethel Woods site, a new rumor suggests the band aren’t coming to New York in August for either celebration.

LeafsJaysCubsRaptorsFan posted on the Ten Club forum, “PJ at Woodstock is over. Doesn’t sound like anything else planned for the summer except working on the new album. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. As always things can change.”

kst responded, “Without disclosing your source can you generally say what you are basing this on?”

LeafsJaysCubsRaptorsFan said, “I’m basing it on the information my source has given me. Trust me, I wish the news was better.”

• Can we please not post Bret McDouche's stuff? Visiting his site and posting a link only feeds his sad boring ego.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    pjl44 said:
    my2hands said:

Nope. They're out there. 

http://youtu.be/nssJ6NXndU4
    Man, I love Porcupine Tree but haven't really given his solo stuff a fair shake. Any recommendations? Blackfield and Storm Corrosion didn't really do it for me, so I just faded on the solo records.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

I always assumed that the band would tour every year with some years having 25 shows and others having 10 or so shows.   2017 came and went, and now probably 2019 will come and go with no shows as well. 

On the bright side, I'm under budget saving all this travel cost for PJ.

• DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514

I always assumed that the band would tour every year with some years having 25 shows and others having 10 or so shows.   2017 came and went, and now probably 2019 will come and go with no shows as well. 

On the bright side, I'm under budget saving all this travel cost for PJ.

Same here. 2015, as an example. 9-10 months off then a short tour. All in between busier years. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    edited February 2019
    If people stopped lining up 3 days before a show to buy obscene amounts of merch, two in every size, then maybe they would have to put a little more effort into the music and touring

I will NEVER wait in a merch line again in my life