Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    2 people can go, the Quebec mosque killer and the Toronto serial killer.

The McArthur story is absolutely nuts.

Gay men were his victims. If his victims were white women, this story would be world news.
    Yes, you are right, if it was a young white woman, it would be a different story.  The police didn't seem to take it seriously quick enough as well.  I would not be surprised to see an enquiry at some point, and there should be.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Read the full, annotated text of Jody Wilson-Raybould's resignation letter

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/full-annotated-jody-wilson-raybould-resignation-letter
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Damn, he's good, just watched Trudeau be asked 2 different questions about Wilson-Raybould (1 English, 1French), and he gave virtually the same answer to both queries.  And he totally avoided both questions.  What's the sarcasm emoji, lol?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Damn, he's good, just watched Trudeau be asked 2 different questions about Wilson-Raybould (1 English, 1French), and he gave virtually the same answer to both queries.  And he totally avoided both questions.  What's the sarcasm emoji, lol?
    I'm surprised that he did not answer like this "but, but, but it is all Harpers doing, umm, umm, umm, Harper set me up...he never did like me, he was jealous of my beautiful hair".

He's been in violation by the ethics commissioner of 4 violations.  Remember when Harper was called crimeminister.  Well, that suits Trudeau more...

This alone will not bring him down, but it does chip away at his support and will benefit the Tories and maybe the NDP if Singh could get his act together.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    I'm happy to patiently wait and see where it all goes. If this were happening in American politics I wouldn't feel the same... I have way more faith in Canada dealing with this in good faith and by the book. I literally have no opinion yet. I have no clue if Trudeau did something wrong or not, and have no idea why Wilson-Raybould resigned or if she did something wrong, for that matter. Time will tell. I don't appreciate anyone making any assumption in a matter like this one, where literally nothing is really known or obvious (I said that because there are cases where tons of things are totally known and/or obvious, like with shit with Trump and friends... That is not at all the case here). I would love it if Canada didn't end up having some big fucking government scandal once everything is known. That would really suck. I've got enough to pay attention to just in BC politics; I can't expend any energy making up theories about this. I will just wait and watch and learn, and try hard to hold back my profound irritation with those making baseless assumptions about any of the players in this thing, including SNC-Lavalin, Wilson-Raybould, Trudeau, and anyone else involved.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm happy to patiently wait and see where it all goes. If this were happening in American politics I wouldn't feel the same... I have way more faith in Canada dealing with this in good faith and by the book. I literally have no opinion yet. I have no clue if Trudeau did something wrong or not, and have no idea why Wilson-Raybould resigned or if she did something wrong, for that matter. Time will tell. I don't appreciate anyone making any assumption in a matter like this one, where literally nothing is really known or obvious (I said that because there are cases where tons of things are totally known and/or obvious, like with shit with Trump and friends... That is not at all the case here). I would love it if Canada didn't end up having some big fucking government scandal once everything is known. That would really suck. I've got enough to pay attention to just in BC politics; I can't expend any energy making up theories about this. I will just wait and watch and learn, and try hard to hold back my profound irritation with those making baseless assumptions about any of the players in this thing, including SNC-Lavalin, Wilson-Raybould, Trudeau, and anyone else involved.
    I agree that we need to wait for the facts to come out, but having watched much of today’s committee meeting as well as the behaviour of the various Liberals to date it doesn’t look good.

As I said upthread, one of the most disturbing aspects of this controversy is how the remediation measures were enacted in the first place, which set the stage for all this. Seemingly corporate lobbying at its worst.

I truly hope Ms. Wilson-Raybould finds that she can speak publicly on the matter, instead of Trudeau continuing to put words in her mouth.

All Trudeau has to his give up privilege and let her speak.  Pretty simple.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I’ll admit I do actually buy into the line that it may not be as simple as that (partly evidenced by JWR seeking legal counsel (beyond her own legal expertise) on the matter. Maybe a limited waiving of privilege (to avoid a possible fishing expedition)?

Something I forgot to touch on in my previous post is the fact that the Globe & Mail is hardly the Enquirer, though they have been oddly quiet since breaking the story.

It was (sadly) hilarious watching one of the Liberals on the committee claim that since SNC-Lavalin wasn’t granted remediation that stands as proof that nothing happened.

It's definitely not simple.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I’ll admit I do actually buy into the line that it may not be as simple as that (partly evidenced by JWR seeking legal counsel (beyond her own legal expertise) on the matter. Maybe a limited waiving of privilege (to avoid a possible fishing expedition)?

Something I forgot to touch on in my previous post is the fact that the Globe & Mail is hardly the Enquirer, though they have been oddly quiet since breaking the story.

It was (sadly) hilarious watching one of the Liberals on the committee claim that since SNC-Lavalin wasn’t granted remediation that stands as proof that nothing happened.
    Lawyers have chimed in, they say if Trudeau waives privilege, then she is free to openly speak.  Her retaining legal counsel was wise, her lawyer is a former Supreme Court Justice and apparently, she retained him to see what she can and can not say with regard to privilege.

How can anyone blame her for seeking legal advice?  One slip up and the liberal PR machine will immediately go to work and discredit and may even try to get her disbarred.  Becoming a lawyer is no easy task, I do blame her for treading lightly...

Trudeau is a donkey just like his old man...I am now firmly in the Sheer camp, Trudeau can go live with his buddy Aga.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Liberals accused of 'coverup' as justice committee limits scope of probe on Wilson-Raybould affairhttps://nationalpost.com/news/politics/commons-committee-to-weigh-probe-of-snc-lavalin-allegations?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR15g5gU_SYomIpGtHLnHE90dTdKHiW0y20uVdTBdotiDjyZxguON92RnRc#Echobox=1550121071

If they had nothing to hide they would let her talk...

Trudeau needs to come clean.  He is becoming a joke.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited February 2019

Lawyers have chimed in, they say if Trudeau waives privilege, then she is free to openly speak.  Her retaining legal counsel was wise, her lawyer is a former Supreme Court Justice and apparently, she retained him to see what she can and can not say with regard to privilege.

How can anyone blame her for seeking legal advice?  One slip up and the liberal PR machine will immediately go to work and discredit and may even try to get her disbarred.  Becoming a lawyer is no easy task, I do blame her for treading lightly...

Trudeau is a donkey just like his old man...I am now firmly in the Sheer camp, Trudeau can go live with his buddy Aga.
    Why are you firmly in the Scheer camp?? You know you don't have to choose one or the other, right? Scheer is fairly Trumpian in his tactics. He's also a homophobe. Also, your comment seems to assume that Scheer isn't a scumbag politician, which is obviously folly. Weren't you the guy who used to talk about how all politicians are terrible? But now you decide you are in Scheer's camp? Seemingly just to spite Trudeau? It's like picking Trump over Hillary and being in Trump's "camp" just because you decide you hate Hillary, you know? (no, I'm not saying Scheer is actually as bad as Trump. That's impossible. But he's definitely showing shades of Trump in how he thinks and operates as a campaigner IMO. Super divisive, and riding the anti-immigrant train in a way that stirs up hatreds and feeds off of racists, that kind of thing.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

Why are you firmly in the Scheer camp?? You know you don't have to choose one or the other, right? Scheer is fairly Trumpian in his tactics. He's also a homophobe. Also, your comment seems to assume that Scheer isn't a scumbag politician, which is obviously folly. Weren't you the guy who used to talk about how all politicians are terrible? But now you decide you are in Scheer's camp? Seemingly just to spite Trudeau? It's like picking Trump over Hillary and being in Trump's "camp" just because you decide you hate Hillary, you know? (no, I'm not saying Scheer is actually as bad as Trump. That's impossible. But he's definitely showing shades of Trump in how he thinks and operates as a campaigner IMO. Super divisive, and riding the anti-immigrant train in a way that stirs up hatreds and feeds off of racists, that kind of thing.
    Why would you try and reason with someone who voted for Ford? ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

I thought BC Politics stressed you out...

No time for Canadian politics

You need to take care of your stress

I'm not voting for Fluff and then I will never vote NDP, made that mistake once, but he turned out to be a liberal anyway.
    Give Peas A Chance…

That's why he won't waive privilege he doesn't want the truth out known...typical Trudeau.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

That's why he won't waive privilege he doesn't want the truth out known...typical Trudeau.

That's not the way privilege works. The client is always free to talk, the lawyer isn't unless privilege is waived.

Just like doctor-patient confidentiality - the patient is always free to talk to others about their medical issues, but doing that doesn't absolve the doctor of their responsibilities for confidentiality. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

I thought BC Politics stressed you out...

No time for Canadian politics

You need to take care of your stress

I'm not voting for Fluff and then I will never vote NDP, made that mistake once, but he turned out to be a liberal anyway.
    There are more than 3 parties to vote for. You don't have to opt for the gross Trumpian right winger racist homophobe just because you don't like Trudeau or the NDP. But yeah, Digin was right. Why would I even bother with this conversation with a Ford voter??? Lost cause.

My stress levels are fine, thanks. Super relaxed actually - I'm on vacation for 10 days!

Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Powerful stuff.
    dignin said:

Powerful stuff.
    Right? I always take my life advice from Don Cherry. 
  • I do like Don Cherry. He had a great perspective on hockey back when I concerned myself with hockey more.

Qualification: haven’t listened to him in the last 10-15 years though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I do like Don Cherry. He had a great perspective on hockey back when I concerned myself with hockey more.

Qualification: haven’t listened to him in the last 10-15 years though.
    Don Cherry is still great.  There is a reason he has not been fired, especially how over the top he been.  Whether he's liked or not he just as much a Canadian icon as Gretzky.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    CTV News was granted unprecedented access to an ISIS camp in Syria where several Canadian women are being held. Paul Workman reports.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/video?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvwindsor:post&clipId=1614224&fbclid=IwAR2SNIUJxQchVyKVD_tKqHleyiN3rl6tKD8Fmkk3art7WGsKbiIL0
    st14HY&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c6a689a3ed3f000010aa725&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Enjoy your new life you fucking traitor.  If they want to come back, charge them as traitors, issuing the max sentence...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Justin Trudeau holds a "basic dictatorship" caucus meeting to reassure his MPs he isn't running a dictatorship!
    "Multiple caucus sources told CBC News that Trudeau convened an extraordinary caucus meeting by telephone Tuesday evening to reassure them that nothing untoward had taken place in his office's interactions with Wilson-Raybould over the SNC-Lavalin case when she was justice minister.
    But unlike the party's normal caucus meetings, this was a one-way call — with Trudeau doing the talking. Caucus members were not able to ask Trudeau questions. MPs were told to follow up with the PMO or regional offices."

He wouldn't answer the questions anyway..."um, um, um, ah, ah, ah, what was the question again, oh a hair is out of place...".
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited February 2019
    Gerald Butts resigns as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's principal secretary

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gerald-butts-resigns-pmo-1.5023675

I guess he is the chosen fall guy for Trudeau.  Glad to see him gone, he is the architect of the Ontario green energy scam that has lead to energy poverty for many.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…

She was drinking again and got confused...
    Give Peas A Chance…

She was drinking again and got confused...

Kinsella's tweet is partisan drivel.

The text of May's tweet reads: "I know Gerry Butts as a person of sharp intellect and good heart. Why has he resigned? I repeat the Green call for an independent inquiry".

Kinsella is the one who is apparently easily confused. May's tweet makes three points: (1) She respects Butt's intelligence and competence. (2) It is not clear why he resigned and what his involvement is in this situation, and (3) Given these two pieces of information, there needs to be an investigation to determine the truth.

Interesting how you've been calling for an investigation yourself, except not when a politician you dislike makes the same call.