Amazon HQ2 and other news

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Jason P said:
    “The runners-up included Austin, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Ohio, Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Miami, Montgomery County, Maryland, Newark, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Toronto, and Washington, D.C.“
    Why they wouldn't want an "up and coming" area is beyond me...

Build it in West Chester NY or something.
    It is an interesting question.  Since this isn't a warehouse, etc it's not about transportation.  I think it's about attracting the best talent.

Do you want to move to New York City or to West Virginia for example?  I bet they thought the location gave them an edge on recruiting to fill the jobs with the most talented people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Maybe they should just buy some empty land in the middle of nowhere and create Amazon City?  
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    “The runners-up included Austin, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Columbus, Ohio, Dallas, Denver, Indianapolis, Los Angeles, Miami, Montgomery County, Maryland, Newark, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Toronto, and Washington, D.C.“

Probably prefer an established infrastructure over waiting for one to be built and to be three steps behind their progress. 
    My thoughts would be the same as to build in an area and make a new city pretty much.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Jason P said:

It is an interesting question.  Since this isn't a warehouse, etc it's not about transportation.  I think it's about attracting the best talent.

Do you want to move to New York City or to West Virginia for example?  I bet they thought the location gave them an edge on recruiting to fill the jobs with the most talented people.
    The talent pool is really important.  My prior company started exiting mid level cities and growing jobs in DC, Chicago and NYC because we were not getting the quality people we wanted.  Maybe NYC was too much of a shock to the system,  raising the real estate prices as noted. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It must be nice that NY is doing so well economically that 50 000 jobs mean squat.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It must be nice that NY is doing so well economically that 50 000 jobs mean squat.
    It might be too much,  too fast.  Although I don't know the growth plan,  where they add 50k over 10 years or something,  which seems more rational.  I agree with you though,  that the "people" are cutting off their nose to spite the face. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

The talent pool is really important.  My prior company started exiting mid level cities and growing jobs in DC, Chicago and NYC because we were not getting the quality people we wanted.  Maybe NYC was too much of a shock to the system,  raising the real estate prices as noted. 
    ummmm.  Dell chose Austin and it ballooned to a Metropolis now so I say "if u build it, they will come."
  • mrussel1 said:
    It might be too much,  too fast.  Although I don't know the growth plan,  where they add 50k over 10 years or something,  which seems more rational.  I agree with you though,  that the "people" are cutting off their nose to spite the face. 
    You guys don't live here.  You don't know what it would do to the surrounding communities.

I spoke about it earlier on what would happen to communities.
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

ummmm.  Dell chose Austin and it ballooned to a Metropolis now so I say "if u build it, they will come."
    Different time.  People used to go to jobs.  The cities are so vibrant now,  that young people don't have to move to tier 2 cities anymore.  Not the highly talented ones. 
    mrussel1 said:
    You guys don't live here.  You don't know what it would do to the surrounding communities.

While I agree that there are unintended consequences top this type of influx of jobs,  I think it's difficult to say that it would be a net negative over the course of several years.  Certainly there will be people negatively impacted,  but certainly many positively. 

I do think that this statement from AOC is overblown and ridiculous.  To act like the decision by company to move there was nefarious is outrageous.....

Today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world," Ocasio-Cortez, one of the deal's staunchest critics, wrote
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Different time.  People used to go to jobs.  The cities are so vibrant now,  that young people don't have to move to tier 2 cities anymore.  Not the highly talented ones. 
    Is this really a thing now?

I would have no problems moving if they would pay me enough.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Fucking millennials!

Yes it's a thing.  There is a lot of competition today.  People want to live in the big cities. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

While I agree that there are unintended consequences top this type of influx of jobs,  I think it's difficult to say that it would be a net negative over the course of several years.  Certainly there will be people negatively impacted,  but certainly many positively. 

I do think that this statement from AOC is overblown and ridiculous.  To act like the decision by company to move there was nefarious is outrageous.....

Today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers & their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation, and the power of the richest man in the world," Ocasio-Cortez, one of the deal's staunchest critics, wrote
    I do not get the Amazon hate.  I ordered something from them today and it will here Friday.  And so @brianlux doesn't chew me out, it was not a book.  LOL.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Fucking millennials!

Yes it's a thing.  There is a lot of competition today.  People want to live in the big cities. 
    You know I've read that the young kids are spoiled about opportunities and like the idea of "living in the city" or moving just to have that zip code on your ID.

It goes along w the look at me culture of today I guess...

They'll find a way to ruin it, you watch!!!
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Fucking millennials!

You know I've read that the young kids are spoiled about opportunities and like the idea of "living in the city" or moving just to have that zip code on your ID.

I'm not too sure what "spoiled about opportunities" means. I'm 29 and want to move to Seattle because I think it'll be a good cultural fit for me based on my interests and hobbies (data sciences, a laid back culture that's still excited about learning and growing, proximity to an ocean, fresh seafood, etc), so in addition to my 40 hour work week, I read a lot of job postings to understand where I need to focus my personal development, and try to put in another 20 or 30 on my own time on learning code and understanding analytics more deeply to make that reality for myself. Does that classify as "spoiled about opportunities"?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It's not like young people moving to the cities is a new trend. It's been a pattern in all generations for hundreds of years. Suggesting it's a Millennial thing is preposterous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:

Fucking millennials!

I'm not too sure what "spoiled about opportunities" means. I'm 29 and want to move to Seattle because I think it'll be a good cultural fit for me based on my interests and hobbies (data sciences, a laid back culture that's still excited about learning and growing, proximity to an ocean, fresh seafood, etc), so in addition to my 40 hour work week, I read a lot of job postings to understand where I need to focus my personal development, and try to put in another 20 or 30 on my own time on learning code and understanding analytics more deeply to make that reality for myself. Does that classify as "spoiled about opportunities"?
    I would think that you were crazy for wanting to go to Seattle but that's for another discussion.

You would be "spoiled" if you had the opportunity in another city but didn't want to go and were holding out for the one you wanted.

We are all spoiled in wanting that so relax.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure wanting or getting what you want in this context can be called spoiled. It's just making a decision about what you want to do and then going about achieving it. One shouldn't opt for something they aren't excited about and not opt for what does excite them if it can be helped. It doesn't mean you're spoiled if you aim for what you want most.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure wanting or getting what you want in this context can be called spoiled. It's just making a decision about what you want to do and then going about achieving it. One shouldn't opt for something they aren't excited about and not opt for what does excite them if it can be helped. It doesn't mean you're spoiled if you aim for what you want most.
    Not getting your way = spoiled

Hence why I said we are all spoiled...

OK let's move on now.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's not like young people moving to the cities is a new trend. It's been a pattern in all generations for hundreds of years. Suggesting it's a Millennial thing is preposterous.
    "Damn young people moving the cities....." said the old folks of Mesopotamia also. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    For much of the past 25 years in the states,  companies have moved to lower cost cities,  recruited people,  paid for relo and created almost captive employees after they start families.  The trend has reversed.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I've flipped on this...

Fuck Amazon and the rest of these corporate welfare bloodsuckers
    my2hands said:
    I've flipped on this...

No one made the state offer tax breaks.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Why is there so much hate in general for Amazon?
    I get that they destroy small businesses, but now it's Amazon's fault that they came up with a modern-day system selling goods? 20 years ago none of us even heard of Amazon and now they are  one of the largest (maybe the largest?) company in the world. I can't hate them for that, and at the end of the day I can shop from home, buy items from them far cheaper than anywhere else and it arrives in 2 days. What's there to be mad about?
    mace1229 said:
    I get that they destroy small businesses, but now it's Amazon's fault that they came up with a modern-day system selling goods? 20 years ago none of us even heard of Amazon and now they are  one of the largest (maybe the largest?) company in the world. I can't hate them for that, and at the end of the day I can shop from home, buy items from them far cheaper than anywhere else and it arrives in 2 days. What's there to be mad about?
    I love Amazon.  Innovation makes America better. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I agree. And if local ma and pa shops are struggle, then its on them to find ways to make it competative. Make your customer service worth the cost, offer something I can;t get online. Amazon started small at one time too.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    I've flipped on this...

In order to be competitive they have to, that's the problem. Corporations like these have governments by the balls, that's terrible for the taxpayer.

Getting governments to slit their own throats to undercut other governments. I don't blame Amazon for being immoral here and not paying their fair share. Most large companies do this. It's the governments fault for letting it get to this. At some point they all need to stand up to these corporations.

And also, Amazon has a terrible track record with how they treat their employees who work in their warehouses. So fuck them for that too.

• mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Put them or Google in charge of background checks and licensing requirements for gun purchasing. You know, the cloud and all? They'll check your Facebook, social media, have you submit ID, training records, etc. verify it all and grant the "right." Law enforcement would need a warrant to request any detailed information outside of unidentifiable data like total number of applicants, number granted, number denied, number refused renewal, by reason, etc. Aggregate data shared with law enforcement, medical community, etc. to tweak what works/doesn't. Track gun violence over ten years and congress renews, bids but current data is saved and available for future comparisons.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    I've flipped on this...

In order to be competitive they have to, that's the problem. Corporations like these have governments by the balls, that's terrible for the taxpayer.

Getting governments to slit their own throats to undercut other governments. I don't blame Amazon for being immoral here and not paying their fair share. Most large companies do this. It's the governments fault for letting it get to this. At some point they all need to stand up to these corporations.

And also, Amazon has a terrible track record with how they treat their employees who work in their warehouses. So fuck them for that too.

Virginia only offered 500 million in incentives.  Considering 25000 jobs at an average of 150k per year,  it won't take the state long to be on the plus side of that equation, between 2 and 3 years only calculating state income tax,  not even considering the economic growth the 25k people will create.  It's an easy decision. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    I've flipped on this...

Virginia only offered 500 million in incentives.  Considering 25000 jobs at an average of 150k per year,  it won't take the state long to be on the plus side of that equation, between 2 and 3 years only calculating state income tax,  not even considering the economic growth the 25k people will create.  It's an easy decision. 
    Where are you getting the $150K average salary from?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©