Outrage Culture

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
this may be my last post on this forum. at the very least, my last on AMT. why? watch this clip, and you can probably figure it out. this sums up everything that is wrong with online politics and general culture today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjV7EDuL21M

@unsung
@mcgruff10
@cincybearcat
@Halifax2TheMax
@oftenreading
@brianlux
@Thirty Bills Unpaid
@Tiki
@CM189191
@mrussel1
@OnWis97
@vaggar99
@tempo_n_groove
@rgambs
@The Juggler
@pjhawks
@Bentleyspop
@benjs
@dignin
@Gern Blansten
@Ledbetterman10

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Key things that stand out:

"Twitter has become the assigning editor."
    Twitter sleuths pick out wrong kid.
    "Outrage cycles"
    "Lack of nuance"
    "Not taking into account personal biases"
    [the left] "calling for violence"  (WTF!)
    "Frivolous social media"
    "The erasure of the individual"
    "Your initial reaction to something is not the truth."
    "When the real facts surface [people] dug their heals in."
    "Denial of the individual"
    The dichotomy within the Catholic church (good people vs #1 kid fucking church).  Sad.
    "Does that (the kid's reaction) deserve to be news?"
    "[it] was bigger news than the government shutdown."
    Some interesting thoughts about the speedy change of social media and social media being like road rage.

Good stuff, HFD.

One could summarize in three words:  Fucked up culture.

Yeah, fuck it HFD, I get it.

Hey, let's go hang out on AET!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Take care of yourself. Wish you’d stay 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Yeah, I second that, HFD.  You're a good guy with a reasonable outlook on things.  If you leave, this place is less than it is with you here.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, I second that, HFD.  You're a good guy with a reasonable outlook on things.  If you leave, this place is less than it is with you here.
    I’ve had to refrain from posting here to tend to my mental health. HFD, if you’re in the same boat, I hope you’re okay, and feel free to reach out. As was mentioned, this place will be less without you, but I find it increasingly toxic here, and there’s enough shit that it’s important to take care of yourself. The degree of fucked up-ness really feels unprecedented.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • I had prepared more. I backspaced through my entire passage only to now say I watched the clip.

I wouldn't disagree with much of it. Times are tumultuous right now. Everybody's on edge. I'm not offering excuses. I'm just saying I think better times are ahead.     
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Clearly outrage culture is real. That being said social media and the internet just allows peoples natural attitudes come across. I tend to be more sarcastic in life and online tham outraged. I also think there are times when emotion is hard to define in posts. I’ve written things that looking back seem more harsh than intended. As the video states this social media era is still relatively new and all of us are still learning how to process and learn how to do it better on a daily basis.  One thing I’ve been cognizant in my life is that when in public things can easily go viral so be very aware of your surroundings and behavior, this is a lesson everyone needs to be taught. It’s an interesting world we live in.

hugh I don’t think we’ve had a ton of interactions and I hope none of mine were of a negative tone,  in general there have been very few people I’ve interacted on this forum I’ve had negative perceptions of, I think for the most part this forum is full of respectable people. Opinionated sure. Differing viewpoints sure but for the most part this place is far more civil than others.  Nothing wrong with stepping back. Stay or go I can only hope for the best for you
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i guess i shouldn't have mentioned anything about my possible future posting status. i honestly did not want that to be the focal point of this thread. i watched the video last night, and i watched it again today. the point was the REASONS why some might get tired of engaging, whether it be online or in person. 

i know a lot of people rag on joe rogan (interviewing, or giving a platform to, people like ted nugent, etc), but i honestly find him so balanced. he is able to actually have a discussion with those he may disagree with and not be a dick. and he is fine with being wrong or admitting he's ignorant. that's what's missing today. everyone thinks they are right. and they won't fucking listen to anything because of no other reason than their personal biases. it gets so tiring listening to the nonsense here and other places online that are so entrenched in their own views that nothing else is reality. yes, trump is a fucking asshole. but if he cured cancer, i'd give him credit. many here wouldn't. much like the many on the right would have been the same to obama. and they don't see it. or they do and believe the are justified in it. 

it is just so exhausting with the constant barrage of "HE DID WRONG!!!' nonsense that is diluting all of the real issues. 

they are absolutely right that the maga kid with the native american is NOT NEWS. @mcgruff10 was absolutely right that if the kid wasn't wearing the red hat, it never would have made it anywhere. 

pjhawks, i tagged those on here who i respect. so no, we haven't had a bunch of interactions, but you have made an impression on me nonetheless. i wanted to get the honest opinions on this of those that i see around here often, from both sides, and you are one of them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    I’ve had to refrain from posting here to tend to my mental health. HFD, if you’re in the same boat, I hope you’re okay, and feel free to reach out. As was mentioned, this place will be less without you, but I find it increasingly toxic here, and there’s enough shit that it’s important to take care of yourself. The degree of fucked up-ness really feels unprecedented.
    i'm fine, benjs. honestly better than i have been in some time, which has afforded me some clarity. i  often come here for the sole reason of hoping to see your posts. you are honestly the single wisest and most intelligent and articulate person i have come across here. i have learned so much from you over the years. 

i have noticed your impatience with nonsense here lately, and it has bothered me. i don't blame you whatsoever. it just sort of confirmed to me my own issues with online political engagement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

you are one of the few non-partisan non-outrage voices here that i can say i respect. we have disagreed, but there has never been a personal issue or anything of the like. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    meh. in no time it will be "who freaking dillon?". 

i'm not saying i'm definitely leaving. this wasn't a cry for "tell me to stay". it was simply that this place is becoming more of a nuisance than a fun hobby, so when that happens, it's time to re-evaluate. and that video really summed it up nicely. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    I can relate.  I take significant time away from this crap from time to time.  I eventually get burned out.

Admittedly the disaster in the White House makes it hard to get comfortable.  Perhaps I have TDS.

Hope to see you back.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    edited January 2019
    emotions need tempered. all too often on antisocial media , folks lead with their emotions on a given topic or event and all too often something is missed.

I think the more emotionally enraged/engaged on a subject it has the inverse effect of critical thinking lessening.

at first blush I was kinda offended at not being tagged (included in the group). But is it really that important in the grand scheme of things? I have decided that no it isnt. at all.

good vibes requested for a former member , i shit and i stink who lost his mother to cancer this morning.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Sorry to see you go if you do this place needs posters like yourself..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Outrage culture is real... social media is the cesspool of society... you're not fucking leaving lol
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    i guess i shouldn't have mentioned anything about my possible future posting status. i honestly did not want that to be the focal point of this thread. i watched the video last night, and i watched it again today. the point was the REASONS why some might get tired of engaging, whether it be online or in person. 

i know a lot of people rag on joe rogan (interviewing, or giving a platform to, people like ted nugent, etc), but i honestly find him so balanced. he is able to actually have a discussion with those he may disagree with and not be a dick. and he is fine with being wrong or admitting he's ignorant. that's what's missing today. everyone thinks they are right. and they won't fucking listen to anything because of no other reason than their personal biases. it gets so tiring listening to the nonsense here and other places online that are so entrenched in their own views that nothing else is reality. yes, trump is a fucking asshole. but if he cured cancer, i'd give him credit. many here wouldn't. much like the many on the right would have been the same to obama. and they don't see it. or they do and believe the are justified in it. 

it is just so exhausting with the constant barrage of "HE DID WRONG!!!' nonsense that is diluting all of the real issues. 

they are absolutely right that the maga kid with the native american is NOT NEWS. @mcgruff10 was absolutely right that if the kid wasn't wearing the red hat, it never would have made it anywhere. 

pjhawks, i tagged those on here who i respect. so no, we haven't had a bunch of interactions, but you have made an impression on me nonetheless. i wanted to get the honest opinions on this of those that i see around here often, from both sides, and you are one of them. 
    Counterpoint :

tRUmp hasn't cured cancer
    and
    That kid was wearing a MAGA hat
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and
    I mean, you're throwing around a couple pretty big ''IFs"

Let's say trump cured cancer. And that kid wore his maga hat down to the hospital. Went room to room making announcements like "good news everyone! Trump cured cancer! America is great again!"

But that's not what happened, is it?

These walking embodiments of white privilege went to a march for life rally to mansplain to the women folk on what to do with their uteruses. And when they were done there, they proceeded to pick a fight with the nearest minority they could pick out. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and
    Ironically this is the perfect counter point to his thread ...

hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

Let's say trump cured cancer. And that kid wore his maga hat down to the hospital. Went room to room making announcements like "good news everyone! Trump cured cancer! America is great again!"

These walking embodiments of white privilege went to a march for life rally to mansplain to the women folk on what to do with their uteruses. And when they were done there, they proceeded to pick a fight with the nearest minority they could pick out. 
    This is exactly what Paul is talking about.  Oy vey
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

What’s Ringo think of all of this?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

What’s Ringo think of all of this?
    Lol. Good one. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I agree!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I see where you're coming from, Hugh. But remember you can always just enter and leave conversations as you please. It's not like someone's going to PM  you and be like "Hey you didn't reply to my reply to you about Trump's wall!" They'll just move on. I've had to step away myself a few times. One thing that I'm a bit guilty of (that Rogan mentions in your video) is being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. I voted for Hillary and I think Trump is awful and evil like most reasonable people do. But because some people around here so obsessed in their hatred for him, I can't help but try to play devil's advocate for Trump, the GOP, and conservatism in general. Just so things aren't so one-sided. There are times this board can feel like the breakroom at MSNBC studios. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I see where you're coming from, Hugh. But remember you can always just enter and leave conversations as you please. It's not like someone's going to PM  you and be like "Hey you didn't reply to my reply to you about Trump's wall!" They'll just move on. I've had to step away myself a few times. One thing that I'm a bit guilty of (that Rogan mentions in your video) is being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. I voted for Hillary and I think Trump is awful and evil like most reasonable people do. But because some people around here so obsessed in their hatred for him, I can't help but try to play devil's advocate for Trump, the GOP, and conservatism in general. Just so things aren't so one-sided. There are times this board can feel like the breakroom at MSNBC studios. 
    yes, of course, but i admittedly have a bit of an addictive/obsessive personality, so when i'm here, i'm full on, and here a lot. it's hard for me to just come here occasionally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:
    emotions need tempered. all too often on antisocial media , folks lead with their emotions on a given topic or event and all too often something is missed.

I think the more emotionally enraged/engaged on a subject it has the inverse effect of critical thinking lessening.

at first blush I was kinda offended at not being tagged (included in the group). But is it really that important in the grand scheme of things? I have decided that no it isnt. at all.

good vibes requested for a former member , i shit and i stink who lost his mother to cancer this morning.
    i didn't want to leave anyone out. i honestly just threw down a bunch of handles that came off the top of my head. maybe i didn't think of yours because we haven't interacted a whole lot. or you've never pissed me off. lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

Those if's were completely hypothetical and meant to make a point which, it appears, you missed.

Just curious, did you watch the entire video?  If not, I would recommend doing so. 

I thought it was good stuff about how we quickly react to brief sound/video bites on social media and how we are all prone to making knee-jerk reactions to them.  I mean, seriously, who hasn't done that?  I know I have.  I'm glad to have this reminder to dig more deeply before making an assessment or judgement as well as to keep in mind what is really news and what is sensationalism. 

CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

so fucking what? the entire point is that this incident shouldn't be news. because it's not. were the kids dicks? maybe. people are just scouring the earth for reasons to be outraged. and this incident and the subsequent reporting on it is absolute proof of that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2019
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Counterpoint :

and

so fucking what? the entire point is that this incident shouldn't be news. because it's not. were the kids dicks? maybe. people are just scouring the earth for reasons to be outraged. and this incident and the subsequent reporting on it is absolute proof of that. 
    To me these people who were outraged by the kid and his hat are no better than trump.  What is the difference between all Mexicans are rapists and all people wearing MAGA hats are racists?
    and the biggest irony to me is that all this went down on mlk  weekend. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • If people cannot understand the symbolism of the MAGA hat then that is on them. It’s not a challenging item of information to misinterpret.

It’s one thing to support McDonald and his dogshit mess in the hopes that maybe there’s method in the madness... it’s a whole other thing to proudly flaunt it.

In my mind, one can safely be stereotyped wearing a MAGA hat. One cannot safely be stereotyped by the basis of their skin colour.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    You are completely wrong Del.  Just because you have a MAGA hat doesn’t mean you support all of trump’s policies. I voted for Obama twice and had his election stickers on my truck. Does that automatically mean that I was for gun control?  Obviously the answer is no. Don’t paint everyone with a broad stroke because if you do then you are just like the president you despise. 
    If people cannot understand the symbolism of the MAGA hat then that is on them. It’s not a challenging item of information to misinterpret.

It’s one thing to support McDonald and his dogshit mess in the hopes that maybe there’s method in the madness... it’s a whole other thing to proudly flaunt it.

In my mind, one can safely be stereotyped wearing a MAGA hat. One cannot safely be stereotyped by the basis of their skin colour.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said her, Thirty.  But maybe a good question to ask is, What will more likely change the perspective of someone who wears a MAGA hat- ridiculing someone you don't know much about other than a quick glimpse on social media or educating them about the reality of the fact that Trump and his supporters are generally making America worse, not great? 

Don't get me wrong, I have the save gut reaction to anyone wearing a MAGA hat- "You're an idiot!"  But telling them that might not be the best way to change their mind or reverse the tide of what many of us see as an ever worsening of America.  It's easy to do the former, damn hard to do the latter.  I'm sometimes guilty of making the wrong choice that way.