Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    What the hell made McCallum think these statements are anywhere near appropriate, unless the government is now actively trying to undermine the U.S.'s case?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4877971/john-mccallum-meng-wanzhou-china-huawei/
    I read that.  In fairness to him, I also read an article in which the author stated that if the judge involved believes this is political he will not extradite, and by Trump commenting at least twice that I know of could make it seem political.  

Also, in fairness to Trudeau, what can he do ... our justice system is separate from the political system for a reason...and that is the way it bit should, I do not want judges trying cases because they are worried about politicians to think.  I side with the liberals on this one.  The drug bust is legit, he was busted twice in Canada, and warned by a judge to turn his life around...so to smuggle drugs into China probably will cost him his life.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Well in any case, it's not surprise that Trump managed to fuck things up by blabbing. That's his M.O.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    What the hell made McCallum think these statements are anywhere near appropriate, unless the government is now actively trying to undermine the U.S.'s case?

I read that.  In fairness to him, I also read an article in which the author stated that if the judge involved believes this is political he will not extradite, and by Trump commenting at least twice that I know of could make it seem political.  

Also, in fairness to Trudeau, what can he do ... our justice system is separate from the political system for a reason...and that is the way it bit should, I do not want judges trying cases because they are worried about politicians to think.  I side with the liberals on this one.  The drug bust is legit, he was busted twice in Canada, and warned by a judge to turn his life around...so to smuggle drugs into China probably will cost him his life.
    On many levels I do agree with some of what he said, my issues with this are twofold.  First, if he wants to make these comments as a private citizen, he can go to it all day.  To make these statements as the sitting ambassador to the country with whom we're engaged in a diplomatic conflict is inappropriate to say the least.  Second, I thought our politicians (and I count an ambassador under that umbrella) were supposed to stay away from commenting on cases, especially those that are still before the courts. In some ways his statements are just as prejudicial and political as anything Trump or the Chinese have said, so now it's the pot and the kettle scenario.

Again, he can  make these statements as a private citizen all he wants, but he's not a private citizen until he resigns his post, in my opinion.

As far as the two detained Canadians, it would be nice for our PM to reach out directly to the top levels of Chinese leadership, instead or focusing on lining up allies against the Chinese.  The drug dealer can rot in jail, as far as I'm concerned (except for the timing of the appeal, I'm even fine with the death sentence.  When in Rome, after all.).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited January 2019

On many levels I do agree with some of what he said, my issues with this are twofold.  First, if he wants to make these comments as a private citizen, he can go to it all day.  To make these statements as the sitting ambassador to the country with whom we're engaged in a diplomatic conflict is inappropriate to say the least.  Second, I thought our politicians (and I count an ambassador under that umbrella) were supposed to stay away from commenting on cases, especially those that are still before the courts. In some ways his statements are just as prejudicial and political as anything Trump or the Chinese have said, so now it's the pot and the kettle scenario.

Again, he can  make these statements as a private citizen all he wants, but he's not a private citizen until he resigns his post, in my opinion.

As far as the two detained Canadians, it would be nice for our PM to reach out directly to the top levels of Chinese leadership, instead or focusing on lining up allies against the Chinese.  The drug dealer can rot in jail, as far as I'm concerned (except for the timing of the appeal, I'm even fine with the death sentence.  When in Rome, after all.).
    It appears your concerns are valid and I have read that he should not have spoken in public about this.  Yes. I agree when cases are before the courts usually politicians do not comment.  Maybe McCallum spoke out deliberately to derail the case...who really knows. The Trudeau government does not appear to be all that great at handling international relations.  Trudeau must be embarrassed because his government has pissed off a communist government who he admires...and yes Trudeau loves China, otherwise, he would have listened to the experts and banned that company from the 5G network.

But then it's hard to say with McCallum, he could have been drunk when he spoke.  He is the last person I'd trust in the liberal government.

They are also fucking playing that poor Saudi girl.  Just love how  Freeland is parading her around in front cameras, these fuckers should know better, Saudi Arabia is not happy and denouncing Islam does not sit well with many in that community...let her settle in somewhere in relative quiet...but we all knew Trudeau would use her as a political football.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Kelly McParland: Just as China is hanging itself, along comes John McCallum
    https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kelly-mcparland-just-as-china-is-hanging-itself-along-comes-mccallum?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0KZk-rPL4QewRp99pkBH_L0-uE9GDq96ZatpIwCOC15SzBPQD0yQn9hKc#Echobox=1548282462

Note to self...never gives the Trudeau government the benefit of the doubt.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It took a few hours to occur to me, but what are the chances McCallum was compromised by the Chinese government, given how he was parroting the regime’s arguments?
    These days nothing is outside the realm of possibility, I think.

It appears your concerns are valid and I have read that he should not have spoken in public about this.  Yes. I agree when cases are before the courts usually politicians do not comment.  Maybe McCallum spoke out deliberately to derail the case...who really knows. The Trudeau government does not appear to be all that great at handling international relations.  Trudeau must be embarrassed because his government has pissed off a communist government who he admires...and yes Trudeau loves China, otherwise, he would have listened to the experts and banned that company from the 5G network.

But then it's hard to say with McCallum, he could have been drunk when he spoke.  He is the last person I'd trust in the liberal government.

They are also fucking playing that poor Saudi girl.  Just love how  Freeland is parading her around in front cameras, these fuckers should know better, Saudi Arabia is not happy and denouncing Islam does not sit well with many in that community...let her settle in somewhere in relative quiet...but we all knew Trudeau would use her as a political football.
    Has it occurred to you that that woman wants to be out there talking about her experience, for the cause of women's rights?? She seems like a damn strong woman to me, and she put herself on the international stage to fight for her right as a Saudi Arabian female escaping a nation that mistreats women. And has it occurred to you that Trudeau and others want to do it for the same reason? The Canadian government has not been shy at all in speaking about the deplorable way women are treated in SA, and putting this story and others out there, and "picking that fight" with SA, is a righteous thing to do.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Sponsor says family in ‘total shock’ after son arrested in RCMP raid in Kingston

https://globalnews.ca/news/4888474/rcmp-kingston-national-security-arrests-raids/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0NBOB4zxaHyWW0jekKeL3uqFxZ8UBgMtWs5OIVhf0vn2Wy-lhjiIiDfyU

The RCMP in Ontario do not come kicking down your door unless you are up to some real shady shit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    edited January 2019
    It's very surprising, and I don't really get it. I'm quite sure they still teach this stuff in social studies/history in high schools across the country. How can anyone with even half a brain forget THAT lesson?? Well, if it's not getting through for some fucked up reason, I think teachers should take this as a message. The Holocaust is not something they should be letting slip past their students like this - it's too important as far as forming world views goes. They obviously need to highlight it a little more and force the students to take note. I'm going to guess that they've started speeding past it for fear of idiot parents whining about how it's not appropriate or some shit like that. Ridiculous parents are mostly to blame for any slide we see in the public education system.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    RCMP charge Kingston youth with trying to get someone to plant a bomb

https://windsorstar.com/news/canada/rcmp-charge-kingston-youth-with-trying-to-get-someone-to-plant-a-bomb-2/wcm/9a954725-a266-47d5-8503-5e746b6272c3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1oxzwDhYR7g0nCRAANT2WBIEYfCyNAOtn_VvfMp0YQjJJLLj-tScLmbzE#Echobox=1548440160

He is 20, try him, convict him, let him exhaust his appeals, once the sentence is complete...then he should be deported.  Will he get deported, not likely with our current government.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RCMP charge Kingston youth with trying to get someone to plant a bomb

https://windsorstar.com/news/canada/rcmp-charge-kingston-youth-with-trying-to-get-someone-to-plant-a-bomb-2/wcm/9a954725-a266-47d5-8503-5e746b6272c3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1oxzwDhYR7g0nCRAANT2WBIEYfCyNAOtn_VvfMp0YQjJJLLj-tScLmbzE#Echobox=1548440160

He is 20, try him, convict him, let him exhaust his appeals, once the sentence is complete...then he should be deported.  Will he get deported, not likely with our current government.

“Try him, convict him...” 

Perhaps we should leave the whole consequences part until he’s actually had a trial. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RCMP charge Kingston youth with trying to get someone to plant a bomb

From what I have come to understand... there has been mixed results from the wave of immigrants Canada has received. Many households do not want the mother working (culturally speaking... the woman's place is in the kitchen). Some of these households receive up to $50,000 in benefits from Canadian taxpayers (childcare and welfare).

We're generous. If it is proven that someone abuses our generosity and makes efforts to kill us... then punt them back to their shithole. Give them a peanut butter sandwich for the plane trip and- to the chagrin of some- make them fly coach.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I agree any non-citizen immigrant who seriously breaks the law should be immediately and permanently deported (after a fair trial of course). I don't see how anyone could argue against that perspective.
    A couple days late, but I do want to give credit to Trudeau (or more likely his advisors who saw which way the public winds were blowing, lol) for getting something right (in my opinion, of course, lol). I'm not convinced it's a bona fide resignation when you're asked to resign, lol.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4893476/mccallum-resigns-ambassador-china-meng-extradition/

• PJ_Soul said:
    I agree any non-citizen immigrant who seriously breaks the law should be immediately and permanently deported (after a fair trial of course). I don't see how anyone could argue against that perspective.
    People will argue that sending them back to their shithole is tantamount to serving them a death sentence (like we should care).
    A couple days late, but I do want to give credit to Trudeau (or more likely his advisors who saw which way the public winds were blowing, lol) for getting something right (in my opinion, of course, lol). I'm not convinced it's a bona fide resignation when you're asked to resign, lol.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4893476/mccallum-resigns-ambassador-china-meng-extradition/
    The McCallum and China were a bizarre few days.  It's almost like he was used by the liberals as a sacrificial lamb with the intention of hoping the judge toss' the case for political interference.  Anyways I got no use for China.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • So what? Who cares? Just put it in there. Or... we no buy wine.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pipeline-work-destroyed-salmon-habitat-expert/ar-BBSNijh?ocid=spartanntp

Oil companies have such a great history of being conscientious of the environment. And despite the most solid of assurances... all risks cannot even fully be measured if we're being honest with each other.
    So what? Who cares? Just put it in there. Or... we no buy wine.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/pipeline-work-destroyed-salmon-habitat-expert/ar-BBSNijh?ocid=spartanntp

Oil companies have such a great history of being conscientious of the environment. And despite the most solid of assurances... all risks cannot even fully be measured if we're being honest with each other.
    Is that the pipeline Trudeau owns? How can that be?  After-all Trudeau would not allow that with a pipeline he owns, would he?  It all seems a little fishy to me.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Humboldt Broncos sentencing: 'This was not a battle to be won,' Boulet's mother says in victim impact statement

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-75-victim-impact-statements-to-be-filed-in-jaskirat-sidhu-sentencing-hearing/wcm/314a4379-602b-45f4-a1ca-365b4ce8d749?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR32dUEfzKV4cxiWcMyz06P8Zo2GLZq8jN6pbQqLFvuBuUzqn1n3TIt7Tq0#Echobox=1548693904

According to the agreed statement of facts read in court, Sidhu was not distracted by a cell phone and did not have the sun in his eyes. Court also heard that trees along the southeast quadrant of the intersection would not have affected his visibility if he had stopped at the stop sign.

But this crash was preventable, which is what makes it such a tragedy.”

Court also heard that Sidhu missed at least four highway signs leading up to the oversized stop sign (which was four feet in diameter).

He was not qualified for that job.  I'm sure he knew he was not qualified, he choose to drive even though he was unqualified.  This is on him, he has to live with this forever, still think he should get 16 years.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    I don't see the point in giving him the maximum sentence, all things considered. I don't think simple vengeance is necessary in this case, and the most severe sentence possible would be just that, given that the driver has very clearly learned his lesson, and of course won't be employed as a driver anymore (no, I'm not saying he shouldn't get any time - I just don't see the point in sending him away for as long as possible, as he doesn't pose a danger to the public anymore, because he plead guilty, and everyone knows he is tortured by his own guilt and regret - remorse does mean something in sentencing).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I actually had a good laugh reading this "article" (in my opinion it's an opinion piece masquerading as news).  If the author stuck to his headline, it would be half the length, and his insinuations are comical.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-jordan-peterson-meeting-appointment-1.4992909

Semi-driver in Humboldt Broncos bus crash had 70 regulation violations

https://globalnews.ca/news/4901778/semi-driver-in-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-had-70-regulation-violations/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2WrcS6LgaJrIPhOIb0UvHbZiAMllfbxCXPyokR6u8FTtqW_7QBNJnulmo

A logbook review found Sidhu, 30, violated 51 federal regulations and 19 Saskatchewan regulations between March 26 and April 6.

“If Jaskirat Singh Sidhu had been stopped and inspected on April 6, 2018, prior to the incident, he would have been placed under a 72 hours out-of-service declaration for failing to produce the current daily log and previous 14 days,” stated the review.

Violating your log book is 100% on this driver, this alone makes him more than negligent.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Semi-trailer driver who caused Humboldt Broncos crash had 70 violations in 11 days
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-sidhu-driving-violations-1.4996814

Families affected by the crash say they were not made aware of Sidhu's infractions and say it's upsetting.

Michelle Straschnitzki, whose son Ryan Straschnitzki was partially paralyzed in the crash, said the infraction news felt like a "gut punch."

"If Jaskirat Singh Sidhu had been stopped and inspected on April 6, 2018 prior to the incident, he would have been placed under a 72-hour out of service declaration … preventing him from operating a commercial vehicle," the report said.

On some entries, he'd sign off on a completed work day before starting to drive. On days such as March 30 and 31, the log book is completely missing.

Give Peas A Chance…
    It seems like the company he worked for should be charged too. What happened with that company?
    PJ_Soul said:
    It seems like the company he worked for should be charged too. What happened with that company?
    The company is out of business.  The owner of the company has been charged as well.  The owner will not see jail time.  In light of this new evidence, I can not see how he will avoid a lengthy prison term.  Log books are there for a reason.  To me, the most stunning of the evidence that has come forward is the fact that he should have been parked at a truck stop at the time of the accident, he was out of hours.  The running out of hours and continuing to drive is strictly on the driver.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I will say this, I think the judge has a tough job ahead of him.  This is not an easy case, lots of emotions involved.  No matter what sentence is given it will not be an easy decision. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Shocking neglect of the rules designed for public safety.

I’ve said it before: there’s a bunch of crappy drivers back and forth on the Coquihalla.

Three idiots never chained up on the last snow storm (about a week and a half ago). They spun out just after the snow shed. The entire highway was stopped eastbound for over an hour (including me) after their trucks slid sideways and blocked all three lanes.

Assholes. Should be a massive fine for that- something significant so that the lazy bastards pull over and take the required precaution mandated by law.
    Shocking neglect of the rules designed for public safety.

I’ve said it before: there’s a bunch of crappy drivers back and forth on the Coquihalla.

Three idiots never chained up on the last snow storm (about a week and a half ago). They spun out just after the snow shed. The entire highway was stopped eastbound for over an hour (including me) after their trucks slid sideways and blocked all three lanes.

Assholes. Should be a massive fine for that- something significant so that the lazy bastards pull over and take the required precaution mandated by law.
    A show I watch on the discovery channel highway to hell is filmed in that area.  You are correct, there are some idiot drivers out there. I thought I read that BC was making it mandatory they trucker chain up 4 tires, of course, if the drivers ignore the rules what good does it do.   These rules are in place for everyone's safety.  By the way beautiful country your way.

As per usual in the Canadian justice system, the families are just learning that this was totally preventable if the donkey just followed the rules, ironically after the victim impact statements were submitted to the court...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…