Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Hey Hugh... coming soon to a neighbourhood near you: a high-risk convicted sex offender has been released from Stony Mountain Institution, and is expected to live in Winnipeg, say police.

Rock on! Great news!

He has an extensive and violent past for which he has served minimal time for. He's got a past, but we all do. So what? He seems like a safe bet: in 2016, Semple was the subject of a Canada-wide warrant after failing to meet the conditions of his parole. It sounds as if we are going to pour a bunch of resources towards him so we can monitor him though: Semple will initially be subject to statutory release conditions, followed by a long-term supervision order.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/high-risk-sex-offender-with-extensive-rap-sheet-expected-to-live-in-winnipeg/ar-BBS76mN?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

* There's also a link within the link I have provided here for another high-risk sex offender being at large if you want to spiral into the world of Canada's rough and tough court system.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • But Canada is showing they're getting tougher. Sexual offenders or child murderers aren't a priority for the moment. The laws are toughening up against working Canadian taxpayers having a glass of wine after work while at home.

Bill C-46: Canadians could now face criminal charges for driving with illegal amounts of alcohol in their system, even if they were stone cold sober while behind the wheel, under tough new impaired driving laws passed by Parliament, according to criminal defence lawyers.

Police have the right to give a person a breathalyzer in their home within a two hour window from driving.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4832762/impaired-driving-canada-breath-samples/
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    This study, published in 2016, looks closely at carbon tax efficacy in jurisdictions around the world, including BC, and concludes that the taxes are at least modestly effective, though on their own won't do what needs to be done. 

Data for BC suggests that the tax has had a positive effect on emissions, compared to what has been seen in other provinces over the same time period.

I can't comment on what's proposed for Washington, though; maybe it isn't a good model. 

https://aceee.org/files/proceedings/2016/data/papers/9_49.pdf

Learning from 19 Carbon Taxes: What Does the Evidence Show? Steven Nadel, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy

ABSTRACT Carbon taxes have been enacted in 16 countries, two Canadian provinces, and even one city. Evaluations of some of these carbon taxes have been conducted. In other cases available data can be examined to shed light on impacts, although separating out the impact of carbon taxes and that of other policies is difficult. This paper briefly summarizes carbon taxes in these various jurisdictions and then explores available evidence on their impacts, with a focus on energy use and carbon emissions. It emphasizes jurisdictions with the most-rigorous studies. Overall the available evidence indicates that carbon taxes have contributed to reductions in energy use and carbon emissions. Reductions have generally been moderate; tax levels have also been moderate. Reductions in the industrial sector have been more substantial when the tax has applied to industrial firms, but significantly less so when some or all of a firm’s tax obligations have been waived. More study is needed, particularly on long-term impacts and impacts in the residential and commercial sectors, where available studies are particularly limited. Experience to date indicates that at the carbon-tax levels that have been politically feasible so far, carbon taxes can be useful but will need to be complemented with other policies to achieve targeted levels of carbon emissions.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • So what's his mental illness then?

He knew exactly what he was doing. This was not an act to save his kids from molestation as he pleaded. This was the act of a career loser and habitual junkie who wanted to hurt his ex-wife.

And he knew what he did afterwards. He scurried off into the woods and tried to hide until a tracker from the area went and retrieved him. When he was found, he pathetically begged for food and water.

And he also knew his only salvation was to plead insanity to which he did.

He's still an asshole. He's not remorseful. And he's still not 'mentally ill'. Calling him such is a disservice to those who actually are.
    What are you basing your opinion about his mental state on?

Whatever has been made available to us. Same information that you have access to. So close to home, our region has followed this case closely.
    That is, media reports rather than the actual assessment data. I’m sure you recognize that the media has its own biases. No offence to you, but you don’t have enough information on which to base this conclusion. You can have an opinion on whether he is mentally ill or not but you don’t have the information or the training to say he isn’t mentally ill. 

Edit - adding that deciding based on media reports that someone does or does not have a mental illness makes about as much sense as you watching someone on the news and deciding that he does or doesn’t have diabetes. 
    So fake news?

It is just my opinion, but there’s plenty of that around these parts no? I can have one.

And not quite on your edit (and no offence taken... we’ve had our battles in the past that have stifled any meaningful conversation.... I’m ready to move past that and interpret the message versus the delivery)

Fake news? I don’t know what you are referring to. 

You can definitely have an opinion, but you can’t make a diagnosis, which is what you’re doing when you state categorically that someone doesn’t have a mental illness based on media reports. 

I also don’t have any idea what you’re saying in your last paragraph, either. 

You said you can't trust the media because they are biased- in other words... fake news. You are all over this forum in various threads touting your opinion based on what you have read so are you the one that gets to decide when we can and when we can't trust the media?  

I have an opinion that Allan played the 'insanity card' successfully and got off lightly. I've already said why. I'm free to do so and in this case... I think my opinion is spot on for good reasons I've already detailed. I've also have an opinion that the judge f**ked up sentencing this scumbag for good reasons I've already detailed as well (judges only f**k up verdicts when good guys are impacted though... not when bad guys benefit, right?). Poor verdicts work both ways.

I'm sorry you don't like my opinions, but I'm sticking with them. For perspective, I have also opined that Trump is a narcissist without truly being able to adequately assess him with a battery of questions designed by an expert to definitively diagnose him as such. And I've also opined that Trump has zero EI. You have 'diagnosed' the same yourself. So... again... you're lack of consistency reveals your willingness to play out of bounds provided it suits your perspective. 

My last paragraph basically stated that your analogy is goofy. Really goofy. You know... the one where you stated I might just as easily diagnose someone on the news for diabetes as they might mental illness. And I'm not even going to elaborate why it's goofy. It's obvious.

Have a good night.

No, you're just not getting what I'm saying. I don't know why, because it seems clear to me, but maybe it's just because I work in a medical field so these concepts are second nature to me.

First off, why are you buying into Trump's assertions about "fake news"? "Fake news" is not the same as media bias. I never claimed that the news media lied or faked anything with AS's case. They have a bias, sure. They also don't print or broadcast all the facts that one would need to make a diagnosis, which is my point.

Of course you can have an opinion. I never said you couldn't; in fact, in the post you quote, it says it right there. What you can't do is make a medical diagnosis. To the best of my knowledge you don't have the skills or training, and you definitely don't have the knowledge on this case. When you say he "doesn't have a mental illness" you are making a diagnosis, and you just can't do that, with any legitimacy. I know the psychiatrist who did the original assessment for the court - he's an experienced, skilled physician. He made a diagnosis because he is able to do that, but you can't. It has absolutely nothing to do with me liking or not liking your opinion; it's just a fact. 

And you're really claiming that I've made a diagnosis on Trump? Seriously? Just find one place where I've done that. Just one, because I know I have not and would not. And by the way, "zero EI" (your words, not mine) isn't a diagnosis. That isn't a medical condition. 

Why are you putting diagnosis in quotes? You seem to be taking this lightly, but I don't, which is my point.  There is no lack of consistency, there is just your lack of understanding of this concept.

Given all of this, my analogy isn't "goofy", it's correct. You can no more watch the news and say someone doesn't have diabetes as you can watch the news and say someone doesn't have a psychotic illness. 

Lol

I missed this. There's a lot here that I'll leave alone.

I'll just say 'diagnose' is a term widely used in society and not reserved strictly for the medical field. For example: Tom Brady approaches the line of scrimmage and diagnoses the defence prior to snapping the ball... or... We diagnosed the data and have come to the following conclusions... or... After a diagnosis of the computer...  

Saying I believe Allan played the mental illness card (insanity) to successfully escape the consequences of his actions is an opinion. If psychiatry was an exact science, then such a claim would be absurd; however, psychiatry is not a valid science and 'opinions' within the field can most certainly be questioned when the actions (past and present) of the accused don't reconcile with the assessment.

Did the psychiatrist take a blood test that definitively confirmed Allan's diagnosis? Or did he ask a whole bunch of questions and interview Allan to establish his diagnosis? Is it possible that Allan wasn't forthright with his responses given his objective- making an iron clad diagnosis challenging? 

I'll use a better analogy: you can no more interview someone to 'definitively' establish they are insane as you can interview someone to 'definitively' establish they have diabetes.
    edited January 2019
    So what's his mental illness then?

He knew exactly what he was doing. This was not an act to save his kids from molestation as he pleaded. This was the act of a career loser and habitual junkie who wanted to hurt his ex-wife.

And he knew what he did afterwards. He scurried off into the woods and tried to hide until a tracker from the area went and retrieved him. When he was found, he pathetically begged for food and water.

He's still an asshole. He's not remorseful. And he's still not 'mentally ill'. Calling him such is a disservice to those who actually are.
    What are you basing your opinion about his mental state on?

Whatever has been made available to us. Same information that you have access to. So close to home, our region has followed this case closely.
    That is, media reports rather than the actual assessment data. I’m sure you recognize that the media has its own biases. No offence to you, but you don’t have enough information on which to base this conclusion. You can have an opinion on whether he is mentally ill or not but you don’t have the information or the training to say he isn’t mentally ill. 

Edit - adding that deciding based on media reports that someone does or does not have a mental illness makes about as much sense as you watching someone on the news and deciding that he does or doesn’t have diabetes. 
    So fake news?

It is just my opinion, but there’s plenty of that around these parts no? I can have one.

And not quite on your edit (and no offence taken... we’ve had our battles in the past that have stifled any meaningful conversation.... I’m ready to move past that and interpret the message versus the delivery)

Fake news? I don’t know what you are referring to. 

You can definitely have an opinion, but you can’t make a diagnosis, which is what you’re doing when you state categorically that someone doesn’t have a mental illness based on media reports. 

I also don’t have any idea what you’re saying in your last paragraph, either. 

You said you can't trust the media because they are biased- in other words... fake news. You are all over this forum in various threads touting your opinion based on what you have read so are you the one that gets to decide when we can and when we can't trust the media?  

I have an opinion that Allan played the 'insanity card' successfully and got off lightly. I've already said why. I'm free to do so and in this case... I think my opinion is spot on for good reasons I've already detailed. I've also have an opinion that the judge f**ked up sentencing this scumbag for good reasons I've already detailed as well (judges only f**k up verdicts when good guys are impacted though... not when bad guys benefit, right?). Poor verdicts work both ways.

I'm sorry you don't like my opinions, but I'm sticking with them. For perspective, I have also opined that Trump is a narcissist without truly being able to adequately assess him with a battery of questions designed by an expert to definitively diagnose him as such. And I've also opined that Trump has zero EI. You have 'diagnosed' the same yourself. So... again... you're lack of consistency reveals your willingness to play out of bounds provided it suits your perspective. 

My last paragraph basically stated that your analogy is goofy. Really goofy. You know... the one where you stated I might just as easily diagnose someone on the news for diabetes as they might mental illness. And I'm not even going to elaborate why it's goofy. It's obvious.

Have a good night.

No, you're just not getting what I'm saying. I don't know why, because it seems clear to me, but maybe it's just because I work in a medical field so these concepts are second nature to me.

First off, why are you buying into Trump's assertions about "fake news"? "Fake news" is not the same as media bias. I never claimed that the news media lied or faked anything with AS's case. They have a bias, sure. They also don't print or broadcast all the facts that one would need to make a diagnosis, which is my point.

Of course you can have an opinion. I never said you couldn't; in fact, in the post you quote, it says it right there. What you can't do is make a medical diagnosis. To the best of my knowledge you don't have the skills or training, and you definitely don't have the knowledge on this case. When you say he "doesn't have a mental illness" you are making a diagnosis, and you just can't do that, with any legitimacy. I know the psychiatrist who did the original assessment for the court - he's an experienced, skilled physician. He made a diagnosis because he is able to do that, but you can't. It has absolutely nothing to do with me liking or not liking your opinion; it's just a fact. 

And you're really claiming that I've made a diagnosis on Trump? Seriously? Just find one place where I've done that. Just one, because I know I have not and would not. And by the way, "zero EI" (your words, not mine) isn't a diagnosis. That isn't a medical condition. 

Why are you putting diagnosis in quotes? You seem to be taking this lightly, but I don't, which is my point.  There is no lack of consistency, there is just your lack of understanding of this concept.

Given all of this, my analogy isn't "goofy", it's correct. You can no more watch the news and say someone doesn't have diabetes as you can watch the news and say someone doesn't have a psychotic illness. 

Lol

I missed this. There's a lot here that I'll leave alone.

I'll just say 'diagnose' is a term widely used in society and not reserved strictly for the medical field. For example: Tom Brady approaches the line of scrimmage and diagnoses the defence prior to snapping the ball... or... We diagnosed the data and have come to the following conclusions... or... After a diagnosis of the computer...  

Saying I believe Allan played the mental illness card (insanity) to successfully escape the consequences of his actions is an opinion. If psychiatry was an exact science, then such a claim would be absurd; however, psychiatry is not a valid science and 'opinions' within the field can most certainly be questioned when the actions (past and present) of the accused don't reconcile with the assessment.

Did the psychiatrist take a blood test that definitively confirmed Allan's diagnosis? Or did he ask a whole bunch of questions and interview Allan to establish his diagnosis? Is it possible that Allan wasn't forthright with his responses given his objective- making an iron clad diagnosis challenging? 

I'll use a better analogy: you can no more interview someone to 'definitively' establish they are insane as you can interview someone to 'definitively' establish they have diabetes.

You're still missing the point, though it's probably best to leave it at that since I think it's being missed deliberately. You really just don't know a whole heck of a lot about diagnosis, which was the whole point - you don't know. Other people do. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • ^^^

I'm not missing anything. To the contrary... you're ignoring the point- which is: the other people that 'do know'... don't know quite as well as you're expecting me to accept.

Psychiatry is far from an exact science and misdiagnosis occurs with great frequency.

As one example, two psychiatrists ruled Trevor Lapierre did not suffer from mental illness when he stabbed a man 40 times in the head and face and killed him. He was convicted and began serving his sentence. Since convicted, his mental health waned significantly and attorneys began to challenge his the courts that he was improperly diagnosed and that his conviction should be overturned because he was not correctly diagnosed with schizophrenia- which would have likely have resulted in a NCR verdict.

Two doctors initially diagnosed him as fit to stand trial. Not so exact, eh?

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-eight-years-after-confessing-to-murder-killer-fights-to-be-declared-not-criminally-responsible
    Alleged Canadian ISIS member captured in Syria, according to Kurdish forces
    https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpress.com/2019/01/screen-shot-2019-01-14-at-7.22.31-am.png?w=336

Looks like a fine citizen.  Better treat the loser with kid gloves.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    So what's his mental illness then?

I have a hard time recalling when, or if, you ever believed someone committed a henious crime as a result of mental illness. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

^^^

I'm not missing anything. To the contrary... you're ignoring the point- which is: the other people that 'do know'... don't know quite as well as you're expecting me to accept.

Psychiatry is far from an exact science and misdiagnosis occurs with great frequency.

As one example, two psychiatrists ruled Trevor Lapierre did not suffer from mental illness when he stabbed a man 40 times in the head and face and killed him. He was convicted and began serving his sentence. Since convicted, his mental health waned significantly and attorneys began to challenge his the courts that he was improperly diagnosed and that his conviction should be overturned because he was not correctly diagnosed with schizophrenia- which would have likely have resulted in a NCR verdict.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-eight-years-after-confessing-to-murder-killer-fights-to-be-declared-not-criminally-responsible
    It’s quite telling how you continually try to separate mental illness, and people wirh mental illness, from those with other, presumably “real” illnesses and the doctors who treat them. You have no idea how much all areas of medicine rely on clinical examination, clinical
    impression and a combination of investigations to make a diagnosis rather than “a blood test”. You don’t know what you don’t know. 
  • ^^^

It’s quite telling how you continually try to separate mental illness, and people wirh mental illness, from those with other, presumably “real” illnesses and the doctors who treat them. You have no idea how much all areas of medicine rely on clinical examination, clinical
    impression and a combination of investigations to make a diagnosis rather than “a blood test”. You don’t know what you don’t know. 
    I thought the ‘blood test’ comment was straightforward enough. 

Diagnosing mental illness is not an exact science. It’s far from it.

And get over yourself. I’m not separating people with mental illness from people with ‘real’ illnesses. I’m separating Allan from mental illness because I don’t believe he was insane. I believe he was a rat scurrying from his violent episode- one that, in hindsight, was predictable given how he increasingly grew more angry at his estranged wife (and already with a history of violence and drug abuse).
  • So what's his mental illness then?

I have a hard time recalling when, or if, you ever believed someone committed a henious crime as a result of mental illness. 
    The dude who stabbed the woman outside of Walmart (off the top of my head).
    Regina steelworker who challenged Trudeau appreciates new social media fans, but not the PM's answer

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/evrazs-i-love-pipelines-worker-appreciates-social-media-fans-but-not-trudeaus-answer/wcm/2eefc04f-7a01-4196-80ed-d8afe08c71e3?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1qQn5U9mXdlmX22kzSiByVx2MK4t_K0g-NAPgw8rZh8Md1VGpudUXlROQ#Echobox=1547480339

“We’re just getting hosed on our oil something terribly,” he added. “Get this pipeline in the ground. Get it out to the coast and you’re going to have a whole bunch more money that you can spend like a drunken farm wife after harvest in New York City.”

Give Peas A Chance…
    Canadian caught in Syria was commander of ISIS unit, according to U.S.-backed forces

https://globalnews.ca/news/4848974/canadian-caught-in-syria-commander/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0_5yy_Ze4dxE-2JBUlWxWij4qDglEIKibpIQIlL10YSvExGUqk_ZF2D7g

Don't bring this piece of human excrement back.  Leave it right where it is. It is a war criminal and should be tried as such.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Now I see why he misses so much time in Parliament, he is entered in a singing contest in Afghanistan.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Now I see why he misses so much time in Parliament, he is entered in a singing contest in Afghanistan.

you know tha'ts a lookalike, right?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

you know tha'ts a lookalike, right?
    Of course, I do.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Ontario to cut tuition fees by 10 per cent

https://lfpress.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/ontario-to-cut-tuition-fees-by-10-per-cent/wcm/54b5f8f2-aa40-4ff3-b44d-48cb4f1759d9?fbclid=IwAR2ovkgSEtqzu9dP6dQEST3BLkPgT_pqiCmCN-jz2XemfcCQdaua0TRJ5pY

This is really good news, student unions across the province have been wanting tuition lowered, or least frozen.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Man who set fire that killed baby released after 51 days in jail
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-who-set-fire-that-killed-baby-released-after-51-days-in-jail-1.4259032?fbclid=IwAR1LZvzQiOFxcxzTdryEqKYYdTUan47l2UO5tJdf_DftNSk63i_yGaKqLwU

Just when you think our justice system can not get even more embarrassing.   Yup, 51 days for arson and killing a baby...

I wonder if he got a letter of apology for being an inconvenience for 51 days. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-who-set-fire-that-killed-baby-released-after-51-days-in-jail-1.4259032?fbclid=IwAR1LZvzQiOFxcxzTdryEqKYYdTUan47l2UO5tJdf_DftNSk63i_yGaKqLwU

Just when you think our justice system can not get even more embarrassing.   Yup, 51 days for arson and killing a baby...

this is part of what I hate about reporting. how about detailing the judge's sentencing comments or reasoning for this decision? on paper this looks absolutely ridiculous. there has to be some reason the charges were downgraded from murder 2. 

I can't imagine losing my baby and the guy basically walking, even after admitting it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and this "credit for time and a half" stuff is absolute bullshit. why time and a half? was it on a holiday? I'd like to know the rationale for these idiotic "time served" rules that we have. maybe @oftenreading knows?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Good question about credit for time served.

Pull Out Your Calculator: Presentence Custody and Enhanced Credit

https://hicksadams.ca/pull-calculator-presentence-custody-enhanced-credit/

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Man who set fire that killed baby released after 51 days in jail

Derek Zoolander mug shot. F**king idiot.

As I said before, the pendulum has swung way too far towards offenders and their ‘rights’ as defined by the law. Most Canadians are fed up and a strong penal reform platform will serve a party well in future elections.

Derek Zoolander mug shot. F**king idiot.

As I said before, the pendulum has swung way too far towards offenders and their ‘rights’ as defined by the law. Most Canadians are fed up and a strong penal reform platform will serve a party well in future elections.
    Yup.  Even if it was just arson without a death, 51 days?  In all honesty, the laws are on the books to give stiffer sentences.  Our justice is full of lazy judges and lawyers that find it much easier to get criminals to plead to lesser charges than actually roll up your sleeves and get to work seeking justice for the victims...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    'Our loss can't mean nothing': Mother of Humboldt Broncos therapist pleads for mandatory semi driver training
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/humboldt-brons-mandatory-training-1.4984127?fbclid=IwAR0wy75qa_HNmZ9WZlZ0HrFMIE2ArBsSJ88tizVcxeZj5ywegIifp-9nBJM

Sidhu was not drinking, texting or speeding, but admits he ran through a stop sign at up to 96 km/h according to documents.

I agree training should be improved in all provinces and should be universal in all regions of the country.  But no amount of training will prevent this type of accident, he blew through a well-marked intersection at 96 KM/.  A message needs to be sent to this driver...I think 16 years would be appropriate.  He did not set out that day to cause that kind of accident, but he must be held accountable.  Those passengers on that bus had no chance.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Windsor man sentenced after getting caught with illegal guns on Highway 3

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/windsor-man-sentenced-after-getting-caught-with-illegal-guns-on-highway-3-1.4265714?fbclid=IwAR1C3azPHiJbqqY1d78PChiuev3153jrRkm_20kFKVWaEotdZ7ok6hwu7uA

Next time a politician says they are serious about gun crime, they need to be asked when are they replacing these turd judges who apparently see no problem that these losers are carrying around prohibited weapons.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    What the hell made McCallum think these statements are anywhere near appropriate, unless the government is now actively trying to undermine the U.S.'s case?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4877971/john-mccallum-meng-wanzhou-china-huawei/
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    What the hell made McCallum think these statements are anywhere near appropriate, unless the government is now actively trying to undermine the U.S.'s case?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4877971/john-mccallum-meng-wanzhou-china-huawei/
    Yeah, he definitely should have kept his trap shut this time. I would imagine he is coming from a rather biased perspective .... and that his bias leans in the opposite direction from where it should.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata