Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I'm so glad there aren't any poisonous snakes in this part of MN.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2018
    I really like snakes.... I don't want to run into any poisonous ones obviously... But generally, I think they're cool. I used to play with them as a kid. Drove my poor mom crazy, as she has a serious snake phobia, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    We have garter snakes around our house, and while they don't bother me, I've scared myself when I almost stepped on a couple.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Snakes are awesome!  My favorite sightings on hikes have included a California King Snake in Sonoma County, CA and a sidewinder in Joshua Trees National Monument. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I would catch snakes what seemed like every day when I was a kid. The only one that ever bit me was a king snake. It slithered before I could grab it by its head, so I wound up grabbing it by its tail. When I reached out my other hand to grab its head, the snake turned around and struck it. That thing wasn’t putting up with my shit that day. 

Last time I visited family in Florida, I caught a black racer to show to my kids. All I ever see up here is garter snakes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    GeGeorge & Mikey. Rescued Cockatoos -Australia ✌
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I about stepped on it but it was nice and said hey, don’t crush me.  Never new I had a 6ft vertical leap......
    That is a healthy looking snake.  Nice shot.

"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Here's one from my yard last summer. Harmless, but still made me jump back about 5 feet.
    I’m the furthest from an expert but are you sure that’s not a brown recluse? I believe one of their signature markings is an upside down “violin” and it almost looks like one starting near the head and running backwards. I’m probably wrong. Either way, big f’n spider there! 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I about stepped on it but it was nice and said hey, don’t crush me.  Never new I had a 6ft vertical leap......
    That is serious shit right there! I like snakes but would not want to encounter one in that setting. Every time I visit my in laws in the desert, my head is on a swivel. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    bbiggs said:

Here's one from my yard last summer. Harmless, but still made me jump back about 5 feet.
    I’m the furthest from an expert but are you sure that’s not a brown recluse? I believe one of their signature markings is an upside down “violin” and it almost looks like one starting near the head and running backwards. I’m probably wrong. Either way, big f’n spider there! 
    Pretty sure that's a wolf spider. They commonly get confused with the brown recluse. The violin on the recluse is more pronounced than the one seen in the picture.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Had a visit by a mama and her 2 cubs yesterday. Lots of bear sightings around here, but they don't usually come play in the neighborhood during the day when people are out. It was garbage day today, and they had a smorgasbord of stuff to choose from. I was standing in my front yard next door and they didn't seem the least bit bothered by me. (ps - those are my neighbor's leaves, mine are picked up. :lol:  )

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jeffbr said:
    Had a visit by a mama and her 2 cubs yesterday. Lots of bear sightings around here, but they don't usually come play in the neighborhood during the day when people are out. It was garbage day today, and they had a smorgasbord of stuff to choose from. I was standing in my front yard next door and they didn't seem the least bit bothered by me. (ps - those are my neighbor's leaves, mine are picked up. :lol:  )

Beautiful bears. BTW, if your neighbors wait long enough, the wind will blow and those will be your leaves. :relaxed:

And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
    jeffbr said:

Impressive beasts but lousy table manners, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

This gorgeous creature was on the window of my truck.  I opened the window and it fell in.  I thought it was dead at first cause it was in a tiny little ball on my jacket and then, lo and behold, it opened up.  It sure is good looking.

• I am SO glad in England we have critters like these. House spiders scare the shit out of most English people
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Impressive beasts but lousy table manners, haha!
    Did you call the Bear Patrol?

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Let the bears pay the bears tax, I'll pay the Homer tax.

• Came across this magnificent beast cross country skiing this morning:

"My brain's a good brain!"
    Came across this magnificent beast cross country skiing this morning:

Bullwinkle!

• Hey Bri...

That moose was awesome to behold. The picture doesn't do it great justice, but it's back and shoulders were massive- it was very healthy. I didn't want to venture too close because it had a calf nearby. They can be dangerous when they feel threatened- one attacked my dad when he was snowmobiling and tried to free a calf found stuck in some deadfall.

Powerful and strong animals. Just awesome to see in the wild.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Daaaaamn. It is absolutely gorgeous where ever you are. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Hey Bri...

That moose was awesome to behold. The picture doesn't do it great justice, but it's back and shoulders were massive- it was very healthy. I didn't want to venture too close because it had a calf nearby. They can be dangerous when they feel threatened- one attacked my dad when he was snowmobiling and tried to free a calf found stuck in some deadfall.

Powerful and strong animals. Just awesome to see in the wild.
    They are BIG suckers, aren't they?!  I've seen a few in Washington and around Yellowstone.  Don't ya just want to go up and give them a big... :hug: ?!

Gorgeous!  Great shot!
  • mcgruff10 said:

Daaaaamn. It is absolutely gorgeous where ever you are. 

Agreed. Every time we leave that place after our workout... the rest of the day is great.

We just got 15cm of fresh snow. We're going up again today and it should be fantastic!
  • Came across this magnificent beast cross country skiing this morning:

Gorgeous!  Great shot!

Cheers!

I'm trying to spot a lynx. If I come across one, I'll be getting a shot if I can. There's also cougars in this region. If I come across one of them... I'll be skiing my ass off to the parking lot lol.

Gorgeous!  Great shot!

Cheers!

I'm trying to spot a lynx. If I come across one, I'll be getting a shot if I can. There's also cougars in this region. If I come across one of them... I'll be skiing my ass off to the parking lot lol.
    Good luck.  Hope you find some pretty kitties  =)

Gorgeous!  Great shot!

Cheers!

That would be SO COOL!  I've always wanted to see a wild cat larger than a bobcat- not that they aren't cool, they are and I've seen a few, but a large cat would be great.  Maybe the last thing I'd see, but great, lol.  Seriously though, be careful and if you spot one, I hope you get a photo!

Oh, and on closer look at your moose, it looks like he is observing a cross at about 2 o'clock from his head.  IS that cemetery?

• wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    Caught this guy out my bathroom window today.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    ^^^that's freakin awesome! Nice birch tree too.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    ^^^that's freakin awesome! Nice birch tree too.

They are amazing creatures. About half an hour later I discovered he had a friend. I'm trying to post a video but having no luck.