Knife and Fork Etiquette

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    That’s why Japanese & Chinese folk got it right , 🥢 fuck forks & knives 
    Chop sticks are great!  We have a bunch them in different styles at home.

Although, I have seen people used them like they were dull skewers.  Pretty embarrassing to see some guy poking at his dim sun with one of them.
    The problem with chopsticks are that they are very environmentally unfriendly in general. Not the reusable kind of course, but do you know that 45 BILLION pairs of wooden disposable chopsticks are produced every year??? The best way to eat if we're thinking environmentally is with our hands! Food made to be eaten that way should be encouraged.... Yum, sandwiches. ;)
    How many plastic forks, spoons, knives and sporks?

Chopsticks aren't environmentally unfriendly.  People are f'ing stupid
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    American Method
    pjhawks said:
    I'm American but I use European method.  Are there really people who use the American method? they cut their meat, put the knife down and switch their forks to the right hand then eat?  then repeat with each cut?  or do they cut everything at once?  
    Either cut everything at once or several pieces, switch, etc. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    European Method
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Although, I have seen people used them like they were dull skewers.  Pretty embarrassing to see some guy poking at his dim sun with one of them.
    The problem with chopsticks are that they are very environmentally unfriendly in general. Not the reusable kind of course, but do you know that 45 BILLION pairs of wooden disposable chopsticks are produced every year??? The best way to eat if we're thinking environmentally is with our hands! Food made to be eaten that way should be encouraged.... Yum, sandwiches. ;)

According to my quick Google search, 40 billion a year are produced.  Recycled or not, that's disgusting!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    edited January 2019
    European Method
    I am American. Right-handed.  Cut with knife in right hand and fork in left.  Then eat with fork in left.  I was well into adulthood when I was made aware that what I was doing was unusual.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    European Method
    And then there's...
    Look Ma, Clean Finger Grippers!:

International Whodingy:

Brutal Carnivoria:

Keep this one away from the kids, The  Eyeball Spork:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    American Method
    ^^^hahaha
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited January 2019
    European Method
    hedonist said:
    I'm a southpaw - fork in my left and knife in my right.

I must appear so unrefined :bawling:
    Ditto. Never had to switch in my life and always found it odd watching others playing musical utensils. Whose the Neanderthal now? Learn to cut with your non dominate hand you losers! :lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    how can two small pieces of wood be environmentally unfriendly? you must mean production, not disposal, correct?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Bamboo is pretty environmentally friendly renewable product, yes?

• European Method
    It makes sence to use your dominant hand the cut with. 
    That said I'm always being told by my fellow English that I eat kak handed I.e backwards
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • European Method
    I will do both methods but like the Euro way.

Also @rgambs the spoon w mac and cheese is a must.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    American Method
    How Wooden Chopsticks Are Killing Nature

http://www.ecopedia.com/environment/how-wooden-chopsticks-are-killing-nature/
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    All I know is that I eat my morning cereal with a tea spoon with my right hand 🖐 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I never noticed but My coffee  is always in in my left hand and I am a righty.  
    Very cool thread. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    insane. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    American Method
    insane. 
    I wonder if Hemp can be used to replace plastic utensil and wooden chopsticks?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    American Method
    how can two small pieces of wood be environmentally unfriendly? you must mean production, not disposal, correct?

I think when compared to reusable utensils? Comparing throw away chop sticks to forks that are washed and reused? But then again, I’m unsure of which is worse environmentally.
    hippiemom = goodness

I think when compared to reusable utensils? Comparing throw away chop sticks to forks that are washed and reused? But then again, I’m unsure of which is worse environmentally.
    look at meltdown's link. it's crazy and something I never considered. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

=)

I use chopsticks for scratching my back.  Can also tie a toy at the end for our cats.  Take THAT, popsicle sticks!

As to "etiquette", I don't think I've paid much attention to how other people use their cutlery.  As long as you're not a slob, chewing with your mouth open, etc., I'm not sure it really matters.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Jason P said:

shipping it from china is not tho
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Way too many plastic forks, spoons and knives too of course. 40 billion of those each year. That's why so many western cities are now banning them or looking into banning them, along with the straws. And why I said food eaten only with our hands are the best option in this context.
    Yes, chopsticks are absolutely environmentally unfriendly. Think about how many trees it takes to make 45 billion pairs of chopsticks dude.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    European Method
    insane. 
    From the link:
    "Globally, about 1.4 billion people throw away 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks each year"

That is insane!

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    No matter the weapon chosen, using your dominant hand to transfer food to your mouth is the only logical method.  Only a crazy person would do otherwise!  It would be as nuts if one island full of people decided to drive on the left side of the road and 74 other countries followed suit just because this island sent a few wooden ships there a few hundred of years ago.  
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    My dominant one is definitely the right hand, but I don't have any problem using the fork with my left hand while holding the knife in my right hand.
    It just depends on what you are used to do. If there is no need for a knife I use my right hand only. 
    I do not care, as long as you do not shovel the food like an excavator. 
    I love using Chopsticks too. Btw you sometimes have to use it like a shovel… :smiley: 

One way plastic stuff just got banned in the EU, however, it will take a while for the law to be fully implemented.
    it's funny how this is the supposed "american" way, yet I've grown up watching american tv my entire life, and never once did I ever see anyone on tv, while eating a meal, transfer their fork to their other hand. not once. that shit I would have noticed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• how can two small pieces of wood be environmentally unfriendly? you must mean production, not disposal, correct?

Bottom line: too many people.

Any 'correction' results in another undesirable outcome with its own set of problems.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    American Method
    it's funny how this is the supposed "american" way, yet I've grown up watching american tv my entire life, and never once did I ever see anyone on tv, while eating a meal, transfer their fork to their other hand. not once. that shit I would have noticed. 
    It is the standard here, far and away, based on 44 years of observation and visiting/eating in 45/50 states.
    It is an interesting thing to stop and think about, though.
    It is the standard here, far and away, based on 44 years of observation and visiting/eating in 45/50 states.
    but do you see people doing this on american tv shows when they are sitting down to dinner? If not, why would that be, if it's the standard?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

American Method
    but do you see people doing this on american tv shows when they are sitting down to dinner? If not, why would that be, if it's the standard?
    Never paid attention but I don't learn from sitcoms about what I can see with my eyes.  I get looking at that when you live in another country, of course.