Knife and Fork Etiquette

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    brianlux said:
    European method when food requires cutting.  It wasn't something I was taught so much as intuitively got in the habit of doing because it makes sense.  But when I eat food that does not require cutting, the fork or spoon resides in my right hand. 
    Same here. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    That’s why Japanese & Chinese folk got it right , 🥢 fuck forks & knives 
    Yeah but then they grab large pieces of meat, etc and gnaw at it because they don't have a knife to cut it.  
    The only way to eat meat I say lol 😂 if you eat with me and I see you cutting your spaghetti or putting ice cubes in your red wine than I’d have to bite my hand or just walk out ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    I like using chopsticks, but it SUCKS when you're dealing with something bigger than comfortably bite sized.
    BTW, Just randomly FYI, I saw something about how to properly eat sushi the other day (it was a video with a top Japanese sushi chef), and I bet we're all doing it wrong, one way or another. You are NOT supposed to eat sushi rolls that have the seaweed on the outside (i.e. tuna roll, kapa roll, etc) with chopsticks. You are supposed to just pick those up with your hand. But the rolls with the rice on the outside should be eaten with chopsticks. Also, you are not supposed to pair the ginger with any of your food, as I know many do (I don't, as I hate raw ginger). That is meant solely as a pallet cleanser, and should be eaten only between different kinds of sushi. Finally, it is apparently a faux pas to mix some wasabi in with your soy sauce... In fact, they say nobody should ever add wasabi to any rolls or nigiri either, because both should already have the perfect amount on it. The extra wasabi on the side is meant for sashimi only. Finally, you're supposed to dip nigiri fish side down in the soy sauce. You're not supposed to soak up the sauce with the rice side, as it absorbs too much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    European Method
    I'm American but I use European method.  Are there really people who use the American method? they cut their meat, put the knife down and switch their forks to the right hand then eat?  then repeat with each cut?  or do they cut everything at once?  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    American Method
    Serious question. How long does it take an Asian baby to learn to use chopsticks? Forms seem pretty straight forward to use, but man my kids still struggle! I can;t imagine if they only had chopsticks to use.
    edited January 2019
    mace1229 said:
    Serious question. How long does it take an Asian baby to learn to use chopsticks? Forms seem pretty straight forward to use, but man my kids still struggle! I can;t imagine if they only had chopsticks to use.
    Since those Asian babies don't have an alternative and use them several times every day instead of just once in a while, they learn it just as fast as western babies learn to use a knife and fork. Much faster probably, because they're Asian, and Asians tend to be more disciplined with their children, expecting more of them from a younger age.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    American Method
    Nahhhhh, chopsticks are the worst!  
    They are entirely worthless for at least 50% of food dishes.  

Spoons for life, stabbers can go to hell!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    American Method
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like using chopsticks, but it SUCKS when you're dealing with something bigger than comfortably bite sized.
    BTW, Just randomly FYI, I saw something about how to properly eat sushi the other day (it was a video with a top Japanese sushi chef), and I bet we're all doing it wrong, one way or another. You are NOT supposed to eat sushi rolls that have the seaweed on the outside (i.e. tuna roll, kapa roll, etc) with chopsticks. You are supposed to just pick those up with your hand. But the rolls with the rice on the outside should be eaten with chopsticks. Also, you are not supposed to pair the ginger with any of your food, as I know many do (I don't, as I hate raw ginger). That is meant solely as a pallet cleanser, and should be eaten only between different kinds of sushi. Finally, it is apparently a faux pas to mix some wasabi in with your soy sauce... In fact, they say nobody should ever add wasabi to any rolls or nigiri either, because both should already have the perfect amount on it. The extra wasabi on the side is meant for sashimi only. Finally, you're supposed to dip nigiri fish side down in the soy sauce. You're not supposed to soak up the sauce with the rice side, as it absorbs too much.
    You would lose this bet.

Since you venture down my path (the path of the sushi snob) I would add that you should not be eating sushi rolls at a high end place with any top chef.  Certainly not any with the nori on the outside.  I can concede a good hand roll can be eaten, however.

Eat the sashimi....or if you are set on it, the nigiri.  Also, if the chef suggests nigiri, go with it.  

Seriously.  Eat the sashimi.

I have never seen anyone adding the ginger to their food.  What a great way to fucking ruin the taste.  Must be at a 19.99 all you can eat shithole place to do that.  I would laugh and probably take a picture of the bear eating outside of the zoo if I saw that.

The reason for not putting the rice into the soy sauce is because it is offensive.  Proper sushi chefs pride themselves on the complex preparation of their rice.  To watch some dope slop it through the soy sauce and completely ruin the texture and taste is offensive.

Best rules?  Learn these, find a good place, and then visit the same chef over and over.  Share with them what you love and what you like less.  Do what they tell you.  If you are in the right type of place they will always take care of you.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    lol funny stuff up above just messing I eat with chopsticks when eating Chinese or Japanese , for everything else it’s fork & knife & spoons ..but man I’m confused as to which hand 🖐 I use for cutting 😂 do I really switch to eat after cutting 🤨
    mace1229 said:
    lol how would I know I’m a taco eating animal no hands needed for those lol 
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    You would lose this bet.

Since you venture down my path (the path of the sushi snob) I would add that you should not be eating sushi rolls at a high end place with any top chef.  Certainly not any with the nori on the outside.  I can concede a good hand roll can be eaten, however.

Eat the sashimi....or if you are set on it, the nigiri.  Also, if the chef suggests nigiri, go with it.  

I have never seen anyone adding the ginger to their food.  What a great way to fucking ruin the taste.  Must be at a 19.99 all you can eat shithole place to do that.  I would laugh and probably take a picture of the bear eating outside of the zoo if I saw that.

The reason for not putting the rice into the soy sauce is because it is offensive.  Proper sushi chefs pride themselves on the complex preparation of their rice.  To watch some dope slop it through the soy sauce and completely ruin the texture and taste is offensive.

Best rules?  Learn these, find a good place, and then visit the same chef over and over.  Share with them what you love and what you like less.  Do what they tell you.  If you are in the right type of place they will always take care of you.

None of that works for me. I literally cannot eat sashimi. I want to. I just can't. I have some serious texture issues, and eating sashimi literally makes me throw up in my mouth before I can even swallow it. The only Japanese food I can eat is the cooked stuff. Tempura and gyoza and teriyaki and shit. And California and dynamite rolls (yes, I know those are poo-pooed, don't care).
    As for the rest.... I figure people should pretty much eat their food the way they like eating their food, in this context. If someone prefers their nigiri soaked in soy sauce, then they should fucking soak it in soy sauce. I have personally never in my life seen a sushi chef at a restaurant scrutinizing the diners as they eat, lol, so offending the chef is really a non-issue. I just posted what I did for information's sake, not to dictate how people should actually do it.
    FWIW, you're 100% right about you being a sushi snob, lol. Wtf. You're actually taking it to an all new level. Vancouver is one of the top places for sushi on the face of the planet, and I've never met anyone as snobby as your are about it. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    You fuckers have been relentless about when I add ice cubes to red wine so I Will not tell you how I eat sushi lol. Brett you would hate me!

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    You fuckers have been relentless about when I add ice cubes to red wine so I Will not tell you how I eat sushi lol. Brett you would hate me!

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    European Method
    Chop sticks are great!  We have a bunch them in different styles at home.

Although, I have seen people used them like they were dull skewers.  Pretty embarrassing to see some guy poking at his dim sun with one of them.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited January 2019
    brianlux said:

Although, I have seen people used them like they were dull skewers.  Pretty embarrassing to see some guy poking at his dim sun with one of them.
    The problem with chopsticks are that they are very environmentally unfriendly in general. Not the reusable kind of course, but do you know that 45 BILLION pairs of wooden disposable chopsticks are produced every year??? The best way to eat if we're thinking environmentally is with our hands! Food made to be eaten that way should be encouraged.... Yum, sandwiches. ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

The problem with chopsticks are that they are very environmentally unfriendly in general. Not the reusable kind of course, but do you know that 45 BILLION pairs of wooden disposable chopsticks are produced every year??? The best way to eat if we're thinking environmentally is with our hands! Food made to be eaten that way should be encouraged.... Yum, sandwiches. ;)
    I burn all my chopsticks in my wood burning stove lol I’m not lying lol 
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

That's better than nothing, for sure, lol.
    mcgruff10 said:

lol good catch 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    American Method
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You would lose this bet.

None of that works for me. I literally cannot eat sashimi. I want to. I just can't. I have some serious texture issues, and eating sashimi literally makes me throw up in my mouth before I can even swallow it. The only Japanese food I can eat is the cooked stuff. Tempura and gyoza and teriyaki and shit. And California and dynamite rolls (yes, I know those are poo-pooed, don't care).
    As for the rest.... I figure people should pretty much eat their food the way they like eating their food, in this context. If someone prefers their nigiri soaked in soy sauce, then they should fucking soak it in soy sauce. I have personally never in my life seen a sushi chef at a restaurant scrutinizing the diners as they eat, lol, so offending the chef is really a non-issue. I just posted what I did for information's sake, not to dictate how people should actually do it.
    FWIW, you're 100% right about you being a sushi snob, lol. Wtf. You're actually taking it to an all new level. Vancouver is one of the top places for sushi on the face of the planet, and I've never met anyone as snobby as your are about it. :lol:
    I take this as a compliment. 
    None of what I said was incorrect.  I get that it doesn't work for you -- but I don't make the rules...I just learned them.  It is my favorite experience with eating and I love being one of the small % of round eyes who knows what is up when I sit down at a banging sushi bar.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You would lose this bet.

I take this as a compliment. 
    None of what I said was incorrect.  I get that it doesn't work for you -- but I don't make the rules...I just learned them.  It is my favorite experience with eating and I love being one of the small % of round eyes who knows what is up when I sit down at a banging sushi bar.

It didn't even cross my mind that anything said was incorrect... You may be misreading my tone. ;)
    mcgruff10 said:

lol good catch 
    Lol. You know it. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    American Method
    Sushi isn't my thing, I think it's overrated, but at the same time, I feel like I sort of get the sushi love.
    I can sit down to a nice ripe Chocolate Krim, a just-picked ear of Silver Queen, and a few slivers of onion and feel like a cosmic king that would never deign to eat anything but single ingredient foods of the highest quality...
    And then also go make a fatass American "Mexican" casserole complete with taco seasoning, soggy Fritos and packed with Velveeta cheese. 
    I love food.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10 said:

We all know that you use the chopsticks to stir the ice in your red wine. It’s okay.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:

We all know that you use the chopsticks to stir the ice in your red wine. It’s okay.
    Ginger, wasabi, soy sauce, three ice cubes and a California cab is spectacular. The secret is to stir clockwise with the chopsticks after each ingredient is added. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ginger, wasabi, soy sauce, three ice cubes and a California cab is spectacular. The secret is to stir clockwise with the chopsticks after each ingredient is added. 
    Do you sip it or shoot it?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    American Method
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Yup air pollution is awesome! So much better than solid waste! ;)

hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

Yup air pollution is awesome! So much better than solid waste! ;)

Haha, yeah, but he'd have a fire either way, so, you know. No difference, just one less pair of chopsticks in the landfill. :lol:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    European Method
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

That's awful (though I could see, like Jose, occasionally using them as kindling).  The solution, of course, is quite simple- pop a pair in the coat pocket or purse before heading to the restaurant. Some even come with a carrying case.   I'm assuming, of course, no one uses disposable chop sticks at home.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Do you sip it or shoot it?
    Shoot it!!!
    edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

That's awful (though I could see, like Jose, occasionally using them as kindling).  The solution, of course, is quite simple- pop a pair in the coat pocket or purse before heading to the restaurant. Some even come with a carrying case.   I'm assuming, of course, no one uses disposable chop sticks at home.
    If I order Chinese food I do, which is maybe once a year. I don't own reusable chopsticks. I don't use them nearly often enough for that to have occurred to me.