Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canadians today feel worse about their finances than they have in 3 years, poll shows

https://globalnews.ca/news/4776242/canadian-finances-pessimistic/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0N0uKQifg0nW9nOj_bs-5-GkJqoHv1YMbAYu7RcBihejPJ9wP3lgpNFhs

Of course, they are. When you have a trust fund baby running the country...sheesh.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Any PM that looks at a wounded vet with one leg and says "you are asking too much". is a POS to the highest order.  Here is hoping for a Sheer minority government in 2019.  Time to rid the political landscape of PM Mr. Dressup, Mr. People, and look at me fellow world leaders, "come and look at my socks".
    getting tired of this quote being trotted out ad nauseum. sheer is a piece of garbage. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Any PM that looks at a wounded vet with one leg and says "you are asking too much". is a POS to the highest order.  Here is hoping for a Sheer minority government in 2019.  Time to rid the political landscape of PM Mr. Dressup, Mr. People, and look at me fellow world leaders, "come and look at my socks".

You keep presenting this phrase (incorrectly) without any context, like some homeless veteran came up to him on the street and Trudeau kicked him away with a personal comment directed at him. The actual context is that the question came in a town hall meeting, during which a veteran asked why the feds are fighting some veteran's groups in court. 

"Why are we still fighting certain veterans groups in court? Because they're asking for more than we are able to give right now," Trudeau said, answering a question from a veteran, who said he lost his leg to an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan, during a town hall meeting on Thursday evening in Edmonton.

Some people booed that answer, forcing Trudeau to calm the crowd. 

"You are asking for honest answers," he said to the crowd at MacEwan University Sport and Wellness. "The old Veterans' Charter involved lump-sum payments and very little in the way of services."

A veterans' group said earlier this week it is taking its fight over recent changes to the pension system to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Before the old lifetime pension was eliminated in favour of a lump sum payment, veterans could have received up to $2,700 per month for pain and suffering. Under the restored pension plan the Liberal government introduced, the maximum a wounded soldier would ever see is $1,150 per month.

"I have pledged, and I did pledge and I will continue to pledge that I will do right by you," Trudeau said. "The changes that we've made to our support for veterans are based around recognizing where we went wrong before."

Trudeau said his government's monthly pension amount is lower because it takes into account the cost of services offered by the federal government, including post-traumatic-stress treatment and psychological care, support for caregivers and family members who look after wounded veterans and job training for those who can still get back into the job market.

The Liberals also are introducing another tax-free pain and suffering award on top of the existing one - either a lump sum or pension that would give wounded veterans up to $1,500 per month, depending on their level of disability.

I don't know all the details of what was being offered then vs. what was being asked for by the veterans, but I think that any unbiased observer would agree that there has to be an upper limit to what is offered. "Asking for more than we can afford" is a pretty common reply in any negotiation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-town-hall-edmonton-1.4515822

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

You keep presenting this phrase (incorrectly) without any context, like some homeless veteran came up to him on the street and Trudeau kicked him away with a personal comment directed at him. The actual context is that the question came in a town hall meeting, during which a veteran asked why the feds are fighting some veteran's groups in court. 

"Why are we still fighting certain veterans groups in court? Because they're asking for more than we are able to give right now," Trudeau said, answering a question from a veteran, who said he lost his leg to an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan, during a town hall meeting on Thursday evening in Edmonton.

Some people booed that answer, forcing Trudeau to calm the crowd. 

"You are asking for honest answers," he said to the crowd at MacEwan University Sport and Wellness. "The old Veterans' Charter involved lump-sum payments and very little in the way of services."

A veterans' group said earlier this week it is taking its fight over recent changes to the pension system to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Before the old lifetime pension was eliminated in favour of a lump sum payment, veterans could have received up to $2,700 per month for pain and suffering. Under the restored pension plan the Liberal government introduced, the maximum a wounded soldier would ever see is $1,150 per month.

"I have pledged, and I did pledge and I will continue to pledge that I will do right by you," Trudeau said. "The changes that we've made to our support for veterans are based around recognizing where we went wrong before."

Trudeau said his government's monthly pension amount is lower because it takes into account the cost of services offered by the federal government, including post-traumatic-stress treatment and psychological care, support for caregivers and family members who look after wounded veterans and job training for those who can still get back into the job market.

The Liberals also are introducing another tax-free pain and suffering award on top of the existing one - either a lump sum or pension that would give wounded veterans up to $1,500 per month, depending on their level of disability.

I don't know all the details of what was being offered then vs. what was being asked for by the veterans, but I think that any unbiased observer would agree that there has to be an upper limit to what is offered. "Asking for more than we can afford" is a pretty common reply in any negotiation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-town-hall-edmonton-1.4515822

if anything, i appreciate JT's ability to tell the truth, whether it's good news or bad. he doesn't gloss over it like the usual bs politicians,. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2019
    The context doesn’t soften the blow and make the comment acceptable. 2700 cut to 1500 per month is not ‘doing right by them’. And he’s glossed it over more than you think, Hugh.

The rationalization that the cuts were necessary so that they could offer other services is stupid. In other words, they reshaped the veterans benefit package without any additional funding given to it.

There’s lots of money there for veterans if Trudeau wanted to find it; however, as he expressed, there is no will for that (“They’re asking for more than we are able to give” really means: “You’re asking for more than we want to give”).

We know where the dashing and honourable PM Trudeau (now Soul can focus on the message versus the delivery) wants to spend money: we’ve witnessed it already and in many cases it’s not in the places I (or many other Canadians) want my tax money going towards.

I voted for him. I had hopes. I’ll give him credit for the legalization of dope- this was no small feat. But outside of that... he’s failed in my opinion. He wasn’t rea... (never mind).
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Here’s an example of VA funding ptsd treatment for a shitbird who murdered a cop (he never served):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/emails-reveal-ottawa-explains-ptsd-treatment-killer-1.4962005

While it has been documented that veterans are waiting for things like prosthetics... this government eagerly dips into the tax pool set aside to to serve veterans so that it can assist with the feelings of a cop murderer.
    Here’s an example of VA funding ptsd treatment for a shitbird who murdered a cop (he never served):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/emails-reveal-ottawa-explains-ptsd-treatment-killer-1.4962005

While it has been documented that veterans are waiting for things like prosthetics... this government eagerly dips into the tax pool set aside to to serve veterans so that it can assist with the feelings of a cop murderer.
    i can't fathom who thought he deserved that type of benefit, and the person/committee who made that call should be held accountable. 

In September, the Trudeau government ordered officials to adopt a more critical eye before approving funds and services for the family member of veterans — particularly relatives convicted of serious crimes

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4761494/gofundme-kimberly-fawcett-prosthetic-leg/

Another vet getting the royal treatment.  Our stupid government would rather spend 3 times this or more on crooked lawyers than just do the right thing.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2019
    GoFundMe seeks $34,000 for veteran’s prosthetic leg after Canada’s military refuses to pay

Another vet getting the royal treatment.  Our stupid government would rather spend 3 times this or more on crooked lawyers than just do the right thing.

Correct.

Edit: inflammatory post.
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    edited January 2019

Correct.

Edit: inflammatory post.
    That's a 12-year-old legal fight, so the legal fees would be well into 6 figures.  Which should be enough proof that crooked lawyers in Ottawa are running the government.  What are the feds thinking?  Are they thinking Canadians will be outraged if we pay for a soldier's prosthetic leg?  This government doesn't bat an eye at the billions we are spending on illegal borders crossers, most of which are not Asylum cases and are here for the free goodies, and who is raking in piles of cash from these asylum seekers, yup lawyers.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Canadians today feel worse about their finances than they have in 3 years, poll shows

https://globalnews.ca/news/4776242/canadian-finances-pessimistic/?utm_source=GlobalNational&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0N0uKQifg0nW9nOj_bs-5-GkJqoHv1YMbAYu7RcBihejPJ9wP3lgpNFhs

Of course, they are. When you have a trust fund baby running the country...sheesh.
    And you think Trudeau is the one responsible for this?? How silly. Such finances are mainly impacted by provincial and municipal politics, not federal.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Syrian family still adjusting three years after arriving in Kamloops

https://www.cfjctoday.com/article/649841/syrian-family-still-adjusting-three-years-after-arriving-kamloops?fbclid=IwAR012pPzSvD5nnolXQ3wwr68fEy5eT36TUq80vN_h4Q1DdlFh2mut04YSZI

Only 3000 grand a month, undoubtedly that includes full benefits, most seniors don't get that.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Egyptian-born Toronto man suing federal government after 17-year deportation fight

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mahmoud-jaballah-civil-suit-security-certificate-1.4967954

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    Syrian family still adjusting three years after arriving in Kamloops

https://www.cfjctoday.com/article/649841/syrian-family-still-adjusting-three-years-after-arriving-kamloops?fbclid=IwAR012pPzSvD5nnolXQ3wwr68fEy5eT36TUq80vN_h4Q1DdlFh2mut04YSZI

Only 3000 grand a month, undoubtedly that includes full benefits, most seniors don't get that.
    I'm sure their 5 children will be great contributors to the country. Statistics suggest they likely will be. Thank goodness they are alive here instead of dead in Syria, eh?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Syrian family still adjusting three years after arriving in Kamloops

I am okay with it.

3000 a month isn’t much for the entire family. The dad is having trouble gaining employment given the language barrier. Give them time.

• Classic.

Parents catching and detaining a pedophile who stalked their 13 year old daughter (after a successful sting operation) face charges of assault and forcible confinement.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bc-couple-charged-after-hog-tying-a-man-they-accuse-of-trying-to-lure-their-daughter-13-into-sex/ar-BBRY9gm?ocid=spartanntp
    Classic.

Parents catching and detaining a pedophile who stalked their 13 year old daughter (after a successful sting operation) face charges of assault and forcible confinement.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/bc-couple-charged-after-hog-tying-a-man-they-accuse-of-trying-to-lure-their-daughter-13-into-sex/ar-BBRY9gm?ocid=spartanntp
    yeah, well, ya can't really do that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Classic.

Screw 13 year olds? I hear ya, brother.

As a  parent... when the cops refuse to help you... it is the Canadian way to sit back, let it happen, and then allow the courts to impose their mighty will.

I see an argument here for self defence.
    Classic.

As a  parent... when the cops refuse to help you... it is the Canadian way to sit back, let it happen, and then allow the courts to impose their mighty will.

self defence cannot be premeditated. I couldn't read the link here, so I don't know the specifics, but I know that if you detain and assault someone (save for citizen's arrest), that's illegal. I know you often think the ends justify the means, but they (most often) don't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Classic.

self defence cannot be premeditated. I couldn't read the link here, so I don't know the specifics, but I know that if you detain and assault someone (save for citizen's arrest), that's illegal. I know you often think the ends justify the means, but they (most often) don't. 

Tons of exchanges noted between the man (a family friend) and the young girl. Parents discouraging the girl from contact and access limited. New ways found to communicate. Messages were explicit.

Parents go to authorities. They do nothing. Man wishes to meet for sex. Parents intervene and set up time and place. Man shows up. Dad and friend take him down and tie him up. Call cops immediately to tell them they've done their work for them.

Cops arrest parents and friend for assault and forcible confinement.
    Classic.

Tons of exchanges noted between the man (a family friend) and the young girl. Parents discouraging the girl from contact and access limited. New ways found to communicate. Messages were explicit.

Parents go to authorities. They do nothing. Man wishes to meet for sex. Parents intervene and set up time and place. Man shows up. Dad and friend take him down and tie him up. Call cops immediately to tell them they've done their work for them.

Cops arrest parents and friend for assault and forcible confinement.
    ok, that changes things. that sounds like citizen's arrest to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2019
    Classic.

That's the law at work. I have no problem with what the parents did, nor with the fact that they were charged. I expect they will not be seriously punished, even if they are convicted, which I really doubt they will be, exactly because of what HFD said: citizens arrest.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Classic.

That's the law at work. I have no problem with what the parents did, nor with the fact that they were charged. I expect they will not be seriously punished, even if they are convicted, which I really doubt they will be, exactly because of what HFD said: citizens arrest.
    Yah.

We got things dialed in on parents protecting their kids. 

* On another note... driver in the Humboldt accident pleads not guilty. We can work with this guy- he has accepted responsibility.
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Classic.

Yah.

* On another note... driver in the Humboldt accident pleads not guilty. We can work with this guy- he has accepted responsibility.
    You mean guilty. ;)
    I feel genuinely awful for that guy (of course I feel even more awful for the victims and the families of the dead). He fucked up really bad, and I guess we can blame that on irresponsibility or, at best, him feeling cavalier or overly confident and too trusting of routine considering his job ... But since the second that accident happened, this man has been overwhelmed with regret and shame and sorrow. He is completely traumatized from what I've read, and will never ever get over the grief and guilt. It's just really sad to see that happen to what seems like actually a very decent human being... who committed a horrible, preventable mistake.
  • I did mean guilty. Gawd I’m stupid.

And I agree. It was an accident. Horrible as it was... the man- especially with his guilty plea- can be worked with and forgiven following the completion of his sentence.

If he tried to scurry from his responsibility in this matter... I’d be much more intolerant.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Classic.

Yah.

You mean guilty. ;)
    I feel genuinely awful for that guy (of course I feel even more awful for the victims and the families of the dead). He fucked up really bad, and I guess we can blame that on irresponsibility or, at best, him feeling cavalier or overly confident and too trusting of routine considering his job ... But since the second that accident happened, this man has been overwhelmed with regret and shame and sorrow. He is completely traumatized from what I've read, and will never ever get over the grief and guilt. It's just really sad to see that happen to what seems like actually a very decent human being... who committed a horrible, preventable mistake.
    Just curious, why do you feel for that driver.  That company should not have been in business, and that driver had no business behind the wheel of a semi.  I get being compassionate when deserved, in this case, this driver should never have been on the road.  And the rest of the provinces need to step up and at the very least require a minimum amount of hours (Ontario already does) before you can get licenced.

This reckless, under qualified, poorly trained driver blew through a fairly well-marked intersection and destroyed a community.  If he had any sense, he knew he was underqualified, yet he still got behind the wheel.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Classic.

Yah.

You mean guilty. ;)
    Just curious, why do you feel for that driver.  That company should not have been in business, and that driver had no business behind the wheel of a semi.  I get being compassionate when deserved, in this case, this driver should never have been on the road.  And the rest of the provinces need to step up and at the very least require a minimum amount of hours (Ontario already does) before you can get licenced.

This reckless, under qualified, poorly trained driver blew through a fairly well-marked intersection and destroyed a community.  If he had any sense, he knew he was underqualified, yet he still got behind the wheel.
    I feel for that driver because I have a stronger sense of compassion and empathy than you do.
    Something else you need to understand about the trucking industry, more trucks go into operation every day that are automatic, meaning less skilled drivers are on the road.  These unskilled bastards have been murdering people in Ontario for far too long...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I am well aware of the problems with the trucking industry.
    I have seen too many news stories from my area of truckers killing people.  I am not a 100% certain, but I believe Mulroney started the problem by de-regulating the industry, leading to lower pay and less qualified drivers.  Drivers can make 65 - 75 g's a year, but they also work long hours.
    Give Peas A Chance…