The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:
    Kapalua!
    Best course I have personally played. Beautiful. 
    I passed on kapalua for one in Kauai. Can’t go wrong.

new golf channel graphics 
    This flagstick stuff is nonsense. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Some of these graphics look very strange.  The 'For Birdie' thing in the corner seems oddly out of place...
    Some of these graphics look very strange.  The 'For Birdie' thing in the corner seems oddly out of place...
    Yeah i hate that thing. Fine with the generic ones. Look good and flat but that overlay is horrible 
    Bubba sucks so bad 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Bubba sucks so bad 
    Few more wins and he's got a case for hall of fame.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah i hate that thing. Fine with the generic ones. Look good and flat but that overlay is horrible 
    I'm usually against this kind of change but I like the new graphics. Easy to read and easy on the eyes.

The flag stick being in is weird as fuck. Only time I ever do that is if I'm playing by myself and am trying to save time. Figures Bryson would be the one to try it out. The announcers were saying it gives him something in the center of the hole to focus on? Is that the only reason he was leaving it in?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I'm usually against this kind of change but I like the new graphics. Easy to read and easy on the eyes.

The flag stick being in is weird as fuck. Only time I ever do that is if I'm playing by myself and am trying to save time. Figures Bryson would be the one to try it out. The announcers were saying it gives him something in the center of the hole to focus on? Is that the only reason he was leaving it in?
    The coefficient of restitution is why he is leaving it in.  Whatever the hell that means.  I never take the stick out when I'm playing by myself unless it's a putt for a good score.  I don't track scores when playing by myself either...actually don't think you're even allowed to anymore.

I am fine with the graphics in general and like them.  Just not the stupid thing on the screen while they're putting.
    Bubba sucks so bad 
    Fred Couples is in the hall of fame.  Who cares...
    Bubba sucks so bad 
    Fred Couples is in the hall of fame.  Who cares...
    I CARE, CLIFF. 

I. CARE.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    The Juggler said: LLP
    Bubba sucks so bad 
    Hes already in with his Masters wins..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    I say it every time I get a new one but can’t recommend it enough

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2019

50 degrees and sunny in January.  This is awesome.  Still would rather be in Hawaii.  Finished today's round with six pars in a row and a birdie on the last where I couldn't have played the hole any better.  I should just hang it up until April with that finish. 

I like having the option of leaving the pin in.   For long putts it will be easier to see where the hole is on tv (not that it was difficult before).  Assuming it is not windy and the pin is blocking the hole I don't see why you wouldn't leave the pin in. 

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

50 degrees and sunny in January.  This is awesome.  Still would rather be in Hawaii.  Finished today's round with six pars in a row and a birdie on the last where I couldn't have played the hole any better.  I should just hang it up until April with that finish. 

I like having the option of leaving the pin in.   For long putts it will be easier to see where the hole is on tv (not that it was difficult before).  Assuming it is not windy and the pin is blocking the hole I don't see why you wouldn't leave the pin in. 

Sounds like you had a solid round. Good stuff. I agree on leaving the pin in. When I chip near the green or putt from the fringe, I almost always leave it in. I’ll take the back-stop in case the ball is coming in hot. 
    Golf to me just isn’t played with the pin in. If you are off the green and get a lucky bounce and it helps you, great. Congrats. But the game is getting the ball in the hole yourself. Not using anything else for assistance.
    edited January 2019
    If woodland has a putter...me oh my
    Golf to me just isn’t played with the pin in. If you are off the green and get a lucky bounce and it helps you, great. Congrats. But the game is getting the ball in the hole yourself. Not using anything else for assistance.
    Well, it is now, Cliff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Well, it is now, Cliff. 
    Apparently 
    Rory is being passed by.  

And Woodland’s putt on 18 was bad. 
    Anyone ever golfed in St Lucia? Going to a Sandals resort down there in a couple months. They have a nine hole and an 18 hole course so I'm probably going to bring my clubs this time.

Anyone ever use Ship Sticks? I forget if I asked this before but I never ended up bringing my clubs on other trips. Definitely bringing them this time. I guess I gotta get a travel bag. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Anyone ever golfed in St Lucia? Going to a Sandals resort down there in a couple months. They have a nine hole and an 18 hole course so I'm probably going to bring my clubs this time.

Anyone ever use Ship Sticks? I forget if I asked this before but I never ended up bringing my clubs on other trips. Definitely bringing them this time. I guess I gotta get a travel bag. 
    A travel bag is a good investment.  I have not used Ship Sticks, but it is more expensive than checking clubs as I've looked into it and just brought them myself.  Ship Sticks is definitely more convenient thought.

I am of the opinion, if you are going on vacation and only really playing one round, rent clubs.  Not worth lugging them.  Most places, especially sandals, will have some sort of deal with one of the major manufacturers and you'll get a pretty decent set. Spend a few minutes at the range to get used to them. Better than lugging them around unless it's a golf centric trip where you're playing a good bit.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Went there on my honeymoon 6 years ago and I played the 9 hole course.  They make you get a caddy which was pretty nice.  Course was pretty decent from what I remember.  I rented everything so it ended up being a pretty expensive 9 hole round but you can't beat golfing in paradise.

Went there on my honeymoon 6 years ago and I played the 9 hole course.  They make you get a caddy which was pretty nice.  Course was pretty decent from what I remember.  I rented everything so it ended up being a pretty expensive 9 hole round but you can't beat golfing in paradise.
    Cool. Thanks man. So no carts on that course? Do you know if it's the same on the 18 hole one? On previous trips my wife has come along and driven the cart and I think she's wanting to do that again. Shockingly it was actually her idea to go to a resort that has it's own course. 

Yeah, Cliff, I agree with renting if only playing once. But I would like to get out at least twice this time. Plus I have jumbo grips and, after using them for two years, it feels so weird going to a regular sized grip. 

Thanks for the info on Ship Sticks. I'm definitely looking for the convenience route..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I used Ship Sticks back in March when I went to Hawaii. Played 3 rounds, including Kapalua so I wanted my own sticks for what could be a once in a lifetime trip. It was definitely a little pricey and really the only reason I did it was because with the way our flight schedule was, I would've had to check them and hope they didn't get lost for a total of 6 flights. I just didn't want to have to worry about it. 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Phil trying to go wire to wire tomorrow, Tiger starting next week... You guys sitting on your hands or what?

Phil almost did it.  These guys are so good.  26 under on a PGA course.   Technology though.

I can't do winters anymore.  So many great swing thoughts and momentum stalled. 

Phil almost did it.  These guys are so good.  26 under on a PGA course.   Technology though.

Gotta move, man. Chicago winters kill my golf game every year. Sometimes it’s a welcomed break, but it definitely doesn’t help in the big picture. 
    Awesome win today.

fuck Phil 
    bbiggs said:

Gotta move, man. Chicago winters kill my golf game every year. Sometimes it’s a welcomed break, but it definitely doesn’t help in the big picture. 
    2 months and 3 weeks since I last played. Longest stretch I've gone since I started playing again a few years ago. Fuck this weather.

chinese-happy.jpg
    bbiggs said:

2 months and 3 weeks since I last played. Longest stretch I've gone since I started playing again a few years ago. Fuck this weather.

I hear ya man. I’m in the same boat. Haven’t touched a club since October. It really sucks.