Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I would have rather have seen harsher penalties, especially for 1st-time offenders.  I am sure it will be challenged at SC. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    so starting today, cops can pull you over and force you to have a breathalyzer, with absolutely zero cause. before today, they had to have reasonable suspicion you were under the influence.  people are freaking out that this is a slippery slope and totally unconstitutional. 
    Yeah, I am not comfortable with this at all, to say the least. I have seen many people go off about how we shouldn't care unless we're drinking and driving. Obviously those folks are missing the point, lol. In any case, I think this will be challenged in the courts almost immediately, and I can't imagine it will hold up at the end of the day.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    so starting today, cops can pull you over and force you to have a breathalyzer, with absolutely zero cause. before today, they had to have reasonable suspicion you were under the influence.  people are freaking out that this is a slippery slope and totally unconstitutional. 
    Yeah, I am not comfortable with this at all, to say the least. I have seen many people go off about how we shouldn't care unless we're drinking and driving. Obviously those folks are missing the point, lol. In any case, I think this will be challenged in the courts almost immediately, and I can't imagine it will hold up at the end of the day.
    yeah, i saw a post on twitter saying that very thing. I'm thinking ok, but I have nothing to hide in my house either, doesn't mean I think it should be legal for cops to demand entrance without cause. 

how about a cavity search with no cause? how about being handcuffed and being thrown in jail with no cause?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    You are right people who don't drink and drive should care.  We all should care, it's slippery slope they are walking on.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Cannabis is the one that concerning?  It stays in the system longer than alcohol.  I think a lot of defence lawyers will do well.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yes. Disappointing.

The main negative feedback I heard from people was (1) the question was too complicated, and (2) there were too many unknowns with a Yes vote for people to feel they knew what they would get.

And now it's off the table for the foreseeable future. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    It's also very possible the no rejected is because they do no want fringe parties propping up the government.  Even though I do not consider the green party of BC as a fringe party (they got 17% of the vote), but my guess most people are only looking at a party with 3 seats essentially propping up the government.  Looks like the issue will not be revisited anytime soon.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • A Canadian citizen has been detained in the DR after he tried to sexually assault a 7 year old girl. Come on, Purple Socks... get behind this guy with all the resources we can muster for one of our nationals abroad! And don't forget... he'll need a bunch of our resources when he gets back home too!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/quebecer-barred-from-leaving-dominican-republic-after-alleged-attempted-sexual-assault-on-7-year-old-girl/ar-BBRMmnm?ocid=spartanntp
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    A Canadian citizen has been detained in the DR after he tried to sexually assault a 7 year old girl. Come on, Purple Socks... get behind this guy with all the resources we can muster for one of our nationals abroad! And don't forget... he'll need a bunch of our resources when he gets back home too!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/quebecer-barred-from-leaving-dominican-republic-after-alleged-attempted-sexual-assault-on-7-year-old-girl/ar-BBRMmnm?ocid=spartanntp
    Sick, just sick.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I would have engaged in this discussion if it hadn't been addressed in such a stupid way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    A Canadian citizen has been detained in the DR after he tried to sexually assault a 7 year old girl. Come on, Purple Socks... get behind this guy with all the resources we can muster for one of our nationals abroad! And don't forget... he'll need a bunch of our resources when he gets back home too!

I have no idea what this has to do with a man who is unlawfully detained and tortured for 10 years. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• A Canadian citizen has been detained in the DR after he tried to sexually assault a 7 year old girl. Come on, Purple Socks... get behind this guy with all the resources we can muster for one of our nationals abroad! And don't forget... he'll need a bunch of our resources when he gets back home too!

I have no idea what this has to do with a man who is unlawfully detained and tortured for 10 years. 
    While the ‘pure as the driven snow’ contention can be debated for whom you refer to... don’t forget the many others that Purple Socks tripped over himself to reintegrate.
    Why are you so fixated on Trudeau's socks? Is the concept of nice socks that foreign to you?
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Why are you so fixated on Trudeau's socks? Is the concept of nice socks that foreign to you?
    It’s just my way, Soul.

I guess I’m saying- more often than not- he seems to care more about his appearance than he does about taking care of some Canadian issues.

And I’m not necessarily sure those purple things aren’t leotards lol. (sorry... just striving for consistency)
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    It’s just my way, Soul.

I guess I’m saying- more often than not- he seems to care more about his appearance than he does about taking care of some Canadian issues.

And I’m not necessarily sure those purple things aren’t leotards lol. (sorry... just striving for consistency)
    All he does is put on clothes that look good. It's actually not hard and doesn't suggest anything about where his head is at. Why you jump from that to him caring more about that than anything else is completely beyond me. It really bugs me that you make that leap - it just makes no sense at all, logically. And it just comes off as super petty, and like you really fed into a sad little trick that the Cons spun up during the last election campaign ... and like you know nothing about basic fashion, lol. Also, when you do that it completely cheapens any real point you're trying to make. It makes you look bad, not Trudeau.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    it's an easy-and lazy-insult. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2019
    Also not even a real insult, which is the weirdest part. Trudeau wears really nice socks. They look good with his shoes and suits, and are stylish and playful and they make him seem more approachable and relatable on camera. It's actually a compliment masquerading as an insult. :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Also not even a real insult, which is the weirdest part. Trudeau wears really nice socks. They look good with his shoes and suits, and are stylish and playful and they make him seem more approachable and relatable on camera. It's actually a compliment masquerading as an insult. :lol:
    well, it really is, it's no different than someone dismissing a pretty woman as just a pretty face. insinuating she is an idiot because you apparently can't have looks and brains. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    well, it really is, it's no different than someone dismissing a pretty woman as just a pretty face. insinuating she is an idiot because you apparently can't have looks and brains. 
    I guess, although to me, someone saying that is like them punching themselves in the face, lol. It highlights the fact that the successful person has yet another good quality, and at the same time points out that the one throwing the so-called insult is so biased that they can't even acknowledge what is objectively pleasant (and also is a sexist, with your example). It also highlights that if they can't come up with better "insults" than that, there must not actually be a whole lot wrong with their target.

• it's an easy-and lazy-insult. 
    Sure. But it was the least significant aspect of my original post that had some content worthy of discussion.

You guys are trying to dissect why I refer to the laughing stock as I do. Feel free. But don’t lose sight of his multiple failings. If we didn’t have Trump to distract us... we’d be talking about how Trudeau and how he hasn’t quite done the job we were hopeful for (for all the reasons already discussed).
    edited January 2019
    Sure. But it was the least significant aspect of my original post that had some content worthy of discussion.

You guys are trying to dissect why I refer to the laughing stock as I do. Feel free. But don’t lose sight of his multiple failings. If we didn’t have Trump to distract us... we’d be talking about how Trudeau and how he hasn’t quite done the job we were hopeful for (for all the reasons already discussed).
    You completely negated the issue you were supposedly trying to bring up with something that had nothing to do with it. That isn't our fault.

FWIW, Trudeau has done the exact kind of job I expected.
  • PJ_Soul said:

You completely negating the issue you were supposedly trying to bring up with something that had nothing to do with it. That isn't our fault.

FWIW, Trudeau has done the exact kind of job I expected.
    Feel free to focus on whatever attracts your attention.

I have no respect for Trudeau and will exercise my personal freedom of expression to refer to him as I please.
    edited January 2019

ok, but i don't disagree with him being detained. what were you hoping to 'discuss'? this incident has zero to do with canadian politics. that's what is being discussed in this thread as part of your post. 

the rest of your post, which was more than half of it, focused on this supposed idea that trudeau is going to come to his defence and give him a bag full of loot, somehow equating this with the khadr situation, which is utter nonsense.
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Honestly, I’m curious to know how he responds if he does at all to this situation.

The Kadr case was a high profile one that is debatable and not quite as clear cut as some think it is.

My real axe to grind is the way we treated the numerous ‘other’ nationals that played the part of terrorist and came scurrying back home where we awaited with open arms.
    Honestly, I’m curious to know how he responds if he does at all to this situation.

The Kadr case was a high profile one that is debatable and not quite as clear cut as some think it is.

My real axe to grind is the way we treated the numerous ‘other’ nationals that played the part of terrorist and came scurrying back home where we awaited with open arms.
    of course it's not 'clear cut'. but i can't say he had any choice in that situation. which other 'numerous nationals that played the part of terrorists' came home where 'he waited with open arms'. come on man, the hyperbole is strong on this one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Honestly, I’m curious to know how he responds if he does at all to this situation.

of course it's not 'clear cut'. but i can't say he had any choice in that situation. which other 'numerous nationals that played the part of terrorists' came home where 'he waited with open arms'. come on man, the hyperbole is strong on this one. 
    As I said, my axe to grind is how we treated the other losers with such care. We did more for them than we do for those that have fought for us.

I realize his situation had some characteristics that needed to be taken into consideration.
    Any PM that looks at a wounded vet with one leg and says "you are asking too much". is a POS to the highest order.  Here is hoping for a Sheer minority government in 2019.  Time to rid the political landscape of PM Mr. Dressup, Mr. People, and look at me fellow world leaders, "come and look at my socks".
    Give Peas A Chance…