Another "The Official The Who" Thread

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
Another because surely there must already be one but I can't find it.

I'm well into Pete Townshend's autobiography Who I Am and in reading this book, I am in love with The Who all over again and I'm in love with Pete Townshend all over again.   What a great book.  Yes, Pete is no angel (except when he is) but he's as real as it gets and the breadth of his talent is staggering (Damn!  I had no idea he had spend time as an editor for Faber and Faber after The Who broke up in the early 80's!  Hangin out with the likes of William Golding.  Whoa!)

About half way through the book, I ordered a copy of the restored 2 disc DVD of "The Kids Are Alright".  I'd never seen the restored film until I watched it last night.  I was blown away and- I kid you not- I cried through practically half the movie.  Those restored colors and sounds!  Memories of seeing The Who in 1968.  Watching Keith Moon laugh his way through a most extraordinary and fast life and realizing yet again he is no more.  And the same with the amazing John Entwhistle.   Watching Roger swing that mic out into space and catch it right on the beat every goddamn time like he did when I saw them play.  Listening to Pete tell his stories and watching him bloody his hands with a windmill guitar style never to be fully copied by any one ever again! And seeing the entirety of "A Quick One While He's Away" from the film "The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus" which had been edited to a shorter version in the original movie.  Watching that practically had me on the floor.  Fantastic! 

God, I love this band!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Hey Brian, when you're finished with that book read Pretend You're in a War about the first 10 years of The Who.  It's one of the best Who books I've read, well written, and has tons of information I'd never come across before.  One of my favorites:  Remember the movie Blow-Up, which features a scene with the Yardbirds and Jeff Beck smashing his guitar?  That was originally going to be The Who.  Manager Kit Lambert was dying to have The Who in a movie and took director Michelangelo Antonioni to a club to see them.  Antonioni was scared by the band's aggressive playing and the rough crowd in attendance and told Lambert, no way!  He went with the Yardbirds but since Jeff Beck wasn't known for guitar-smashing, I guess Antonioni decided to include it after seeing The Who.

I'm getting ready to read Roger Daltrey's memoir.  I'm curious how it will jibe with Pete's.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,395
    The Who were one of my first concerts in 1980!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    edited December 2018
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Cool!

How was it?  Would love to hear about it.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Hey Brian, when you're finished with that book read Pretend You're in a War about the first 10 years of The Who.  It's one of the best Who books I've read, well written, and has tons of information I'd never come across before.  One of my favorites:  Remember the movie Blow-Up, which features a scene with the Yardbirds and Jeff Beck smashing his guitar?  That was originally going to be The Who.  Manager Kit Lambert was dying to have The Who in a movie and took director Michelangelo Antonioni to a club to see them.  Antonioni was scared by the band's aggressive playing and the rough crowd in attendance and told Lambert, no way!  He went with the Yardbirds but since Jeff Beck wasn't known for guitar-smashing, I guess Antonioni decided to include it after seeing The Who.

I'm getting ready to read Roger Daltrey's memoir.  I'm curious how it will jibe with Pete's.
    Thank you for the book recommendation, WP!   I'll keep an eye out for one or order one.  Definitely sounds like a good read! 

Yes, I remember the film Blow-Up.  It played a repertoire theater in San Francisco in the early 70's and some friends and I went to see it.  Oh how cool that would have been if Kit could have gotten The Who that gig!

And yes, I've heard good things about Roger's memoir.  Will definitely read that one two!

What about the book Behind Blue Eyes by Geoffrey Giuliano?  I have it but haven'r read it yet.  Any good?

JOEJOEJOE said:
    My first Who show was in 1976 but I saw them in 1980 and they were ON FIRE during that tour.  They were out to prove they could carry on after Keith's death.  Still one of my all time favorite Who shows.
    brianlux said:
    What about the book Behind Blue Eyes by Geoffrey Giuliano?  I have it but haven'r read it yet.  Any good?
    I haven't read that one.  I'm also curious to read Kenney Jones memoir.  He was the drummer who replaced Moon.  He and Roger disliked each other so I'm wondering what they each have to say about Kenney's time in The Who.
    brianlux said:
    I haven't read that one.  I'm also curious to read Kenney Jones memoir.  He was the drummer who replaced Moon.  He and Roger disliked each other so I'm wondering what they each have to say about Kenney's time in The Who.
    Yeah, Pete talks about the disconnect between Roger and Jones.  But gosh, how do you replace Keith!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Townsend is my favorite song writer period , Pure&Easy my favorite song he has penned..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Townsend is my favorite song writer period , Pure&Easy my favorite song he has penned..
    Yes, great song!

My current favorite:

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    What band is that?  :lol:

Just kidding.   I just never got into the post Moon stuff.

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    edited December 2018
    Picked up one of his solo records on the weekend. Love Rough Boys. That's a party tune right there. Air guitar the shit outta that one.
    Picked up one of his solo records on the weekend. Love Rough Boys. That's a party tune right there. Air guitar the shit outta that one.
    Yeah, Empty Glass is great, especially the first side.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Live at Leeds BOOM!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Live at Leeds BOOM!
    KA BOOM!  :smiley:

One of my faves.  It would have been a hell of a Who song.
    This evening, I did a little various LP sampling of songs from the Magic Bus  through Who's Next.  Without a forethought of this, the songs I happened to pick out really clicked with something Townshend wrote about, that being the influence Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys had on Pete's songwriting during those years.  I was listening to the harmonies in songs like I Can't Reach You, Our Love Was, Is,  Getting in Tune and a few others and, there it was, those Wilson Beach Boys harmonies blended with this amazing mid-sixties mod sound and well crafted writing.  Suddenly, after all these years, I had gained an added layer of appreciation for Pete's writing.  Marvelous!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    What band is that?  :lol:

Just kidding.   I just never got into the post Moon stuff.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Who was my 2nd ever concert
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nice!  When was this?  What was it like? 

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    The Kids Are Alright documentary/cd has in my opinion the best version of Baba O'Riley that I've ever heard. Keith Moon is bashing on a Gong for part of it, and John Entwistle's bass is just sooo stellar.  And Pete's windmill is in full swing.  Rogers is swinging the mic like nobody else can.
    Another great topic Brian, thanks for starting another great topic.
    Here's that's great to version of Bubba
    https://youtu.be/_iYqXvht3uQ

brianlux said:
    Nice!  When was this?  What was it like? 
    1982 at the Pontiac Silverdome, saw them with my late brother...it was supposed to be their last tour.  It was a fantastic, still one of my all-time great concert experiences.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I will never get into The Who.

Who's Next is a nice album though. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    RYME said:
    The Kids Are Alright documentary/cd has in my opinion the best version of Baba O'Riley that I've ever heard. Keith Moon is bashing on a Gong for part of it, and John Entwistle's bass is just sooo stellar.  And Pete's windmill is in full swing.  Rogers is swinging the mic like nobody else can.

Totally agree, RYME, it's a killer version of that song.  The 2 disc updated DVD of that documentary is outstanding!

Last night, I finished Pete's autobiography, Who I Am.  I was hugely sad to have that book end and even this morning feel at bit out to sea.  It's one of those books I almost wish went on forever.  I've read many, many music biographies and have enjoyed so many of them but this one I have to think is the best of them all.  Townshend spend years writing that book- it's anything but dashed off.  The writing is excellent and the book is full of energy and compassion.  It's honest, engaging, and full of heart.  I love this book.  I love Pete Townshend.

brianlux said:
    RYME said:

Totally agree, RYME, it's a killer version of that song.  The 2 disc updated DVD of that documentary is outstanding!
    I've had the old version for quite a while, I guess I'll have to get the new & improved one.
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    Last night, I finished Pete's autobiography, Who I Am.  I was hugely sad to have that book end and even this morning feel at bit out to sea.  It's one of those books I almost wish went on forever.  I've read many, many music biographies and have enjoyed so many of them but this one I have to think is the best of them all.  Townshend spend years writing that book- it's anything but dashed off.  The writing is excellent and the book is full of energy and compassion.  It's honest, engaging, and full of heart.  I love this book.  I love Pete Townshend.
    *That was how I felt when I finished reading Last Of The Breed by Louis L'Amour. I wanted the story to keep going and never end.  It's that good.  (It's amazing, Eddie's Into The Wild soundtrack would actually go really well with Last of the Breed)
    *But now you have gotten me into a Who mood this week.  Although I do not have the new and improved version of The Kids Are Alright yet, I think I'll pop the one I have in tonight.
    Cheers Brian
    Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

I've had the old version for quite a while, I guess I'll have to get the new & improved one.
    Oh , for sure!  The two DVD set called "The Who, The Kids are Alright, Special DVD Edition" is great.  The extras are cool because in it they describe not only how the film was restored (amazing!) but it's also shows some before and after clips so you can see how much better the visual and sound are now and it's sprinkled with interesting bits about the performances and the band.  This is one of those times I wish I had surround sound but never-the-less, it sounds great in stereo.  Great stuff!  I picked up a nice used copy from a seller on eBay for a reasonable price.  You'll love it!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    edited December 2018
    It figures you like this song it’s way down on The Who essentials, did you get rid of  your Springsteen music yet or was that just some bs you spewed about being such a patriot ...
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....