Another "The Official The Who" Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    edited December 2018
    This video that isolates John Entwistle's bass on Baba O'riley is so cool!  Yet another reason why The Who were such a great band!  Listen all the way through- it get better and better!  (Audio starts at 1:25)

and this one even more impressive (starting at 1:14)

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Awesome, Brian.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Who are planning to release their first studio album in more than a decade this year and will also undertake a U.S. symphonic tour.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/who-album-tour-2019/?fbclid=IwAR0iCX6NPjtxWbLe7scsI28-bOJyvJdJax1ggGM-tcLwMw0EdXShCzGQdsA
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The Who are planning to release their first studio album in more than a decade this year and will also undertake a U.S. symphonic tour.
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/who-album-tour-2019/?fbclid=IwAR0iCX6NPjtxWbLe7scsI28-bOJyvJdJax1ggGM-tcLwMw0EdXShCzGQdsA
    Cool!  I'm not sure about the rock with symphony thing (I've never been a big fan of rock music with orchestration) but hopefully the album will have some good stuff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Cool!  I'm not sure about the rock with symphony thing (I've never been a big fan of rock music with orchestration) but hopefully the album will have some good stuff.
    I read between the lines.  Pete will not tour as greatest hits band again.  That's why the new music.  At least that's my take.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    I read between the lines.  Pete will not tour as greatest hits band again.  That's why the new music.  At least that's my take.
    Good for him!  No doubt many fans would disagree, but I thinks that's a smart move. 

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Good for him!  No doubt many fans would disagree, but I thinks that's a smart move. 
    I agree.  Pete has earned that right.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I'm excited that there's going to be another tour!  I'm also cracking up because I don't know how many times I've told people I've been to my last Who show because surely they won't be touring again.  :lol:   I retired recently and the invitation to my retirement reception (written by my co-workers) said that I would be spending my time gardening and following the Who around on tour.  Hmm, maybe they knew something I didn't?  :lol:

I'll be glad to hear some new music although I know some fans won't.  On their Endless Wire tour, in 2006-2007, I LOVED so much of the new stuff, especially the mini opera Wire and Glass, Fragments, A Man in a Purple Dress, and Black Widow's Eyes.  But one of my friends told me that he would go for a beer when they played "the boring new shit."

As for orchestral Who, I'm curious and looking forward to it.  Here's a little sample of Pete doing his composition Football Fugue, that he co-wrote with his former father-in-law, Ted Astley:

"The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    brianlux said:
    This video that isolates John Entwistle's bass on Baba O'riley is so cool!  Yet another reason why The Who were such a great band!  Listen all the way through- it get better and better!  (Audio starts at 1:25)

What do you think he is drinking out of those cylinders mounted to his mic stand with a straw? B)  I wonder what his drink of choice was while performing?
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

What do you think he is drinking out of those cylinders mounted to his mic stand with a straw? B)  I wonder what his drink of choice was while performing?
    Probably mineral water infused with vitamins, right?  lol

Mr. E. did have a like for the stronger stuff!

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

Probably mineral water infused with vitamins, right?  lol

Mr. E. did have a like for the stronger stuff!
    I don't think vitamin water had been invented at that time.
    Maybe it was Tomato Juice with a little pepper sprinkled in? B) lol

• it will be super interesting to see how pete and roger pull together a new album and tour with an orchestra. it's got me thinking that the new album will have some orchestral qualities to it and that aint all bad(imo). i could see the live show/tour being in 2 parts/sets. 1st set with a mini orchestra and the 2nd set the rock part. taking a full orchestra out on tour aint cheap and they cant(?) play arenas with an orchestra and have people be quiet and not yell for teenage wasteland all night  ;)
  • I became a "WHO FREAK" at the age of 11 on December 17th 1982. I just woke up on my 48th birthday to the announcement that The Who will tour one more time!!!!! My show will be June 1st Saturday night Toronto. I'm not bothered by the symphony dealeo. This should be amazing!

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:

If memory serves from what I read decades ago, it was white wine and brandy.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    it will be super interesting to see how pete and roger pull together a new album and tour with an orchestra. it's got me thinking that the new album will have some orchestral qualities to it and that aint all bad(imo). i could see the live show/tour being in 2 parts/sets. 1st set with a mini orchestra and the 2nd set the rock part. taking a full orchestra out on tour aint cheap and they cant(?) play arenas with an orchestra and have people be quiet and not yell for teenage wasteland all night  ;)
    Being a loooong time Who fan I'll try to be open minded about the orchestration* aspect but I know that will be a stretch for me.  I've never been a fan of orchestrated rock.  Give me Beethoven or give me The Who!  lol.  Maybe Pete will surprise me this time.

*The closest I've come to enjoying rock and classical combined was seeing the New York Rock and Roll Ensemble live.  The five musicians in that band were Julliard trained musicians who played great rock and roll.  Their show included pieces that started out with them playing chamber music on violins and cellos and such and then switching to electric guitars and playing rock.  Michael Kamen (who is no longer with us) was in that group and became a fairly well known composer and scored several excellent movie sound tracks).  This record by the band is well worth checking out:

• brianlux said:

Being a loooong time Who fan I'll try to be open minded about the orchestration* aspect but I know that will be a stretch for me.  I've never been a fan of orchestrated rock.  Give me Beethoven or give me The Who!  lol.  Maybe Pete will surprise me this time.

*The closest I've come to enjoying rock and classical combined was seeing the New York Rock and Roll Ensemble live.  The five musicians in that band were Julliard trained musicians who played great rock and roll.  Their show included pieces that started out with them playing chamber music on violins and cellos and such and then switching to electric guitars and playing rock.  Michael Kamen (who is no longer with us) was in that group and became a fairly well known composer and scored several excellent movie sound tracks).  This record by the band is well worth checking out:

Brian, If you don't already have it, try and get your hands on "Roger Daltrey Celebrates The Music Of Pete Townshend". It's actually very good, and will give you an idea of how The Who will sound with an orchestra. You might be able to see some footage on YouTube. 

brianlux said:

Brian, If you don't already have it, try and get your hands on "Roger Daltrey Celebrates The Music Of Pete Townshend". It's actually very good, and will give you an idea of how The Who will sound with an orchestra. You might be able to see some footage on YouTube. 

I'll check it out.  Thanks!

• brianlux said:

if they even play 1 QUAD song i will be soooo happy all over again  ;)
    brianlux said:

if they even play 1 QUAD song i will be soooo happy all over again  ;)
    I would love to go just to see Pete windmill one more time... but maybe he doesn't do that anymore!

• brianlux said:
    I would love to go just to see Pete windmill one more time... but maybe he doesn't do that anymore!
    he still does it. no worries there  :)
    brianlux said:
    he still does it. no worries there  :)
    Cool!

I will be going, they play Detroit on my birthday, so why not?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Cool, they are playing Dallas the day after my birthday!  From the little I've read, Roger is saying don't worry, they will still be playing Who-style.  They will feature some Tommy and Quad, along with other songs and the new stuff.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I might go see them in Grand Rapids, saw them in 2017 - was sure it'd be the last
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,615
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,615
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by ed243421 on
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Cool, they are playing Dallas the day after my birthday!  From the little I've read, Roger is saying don't worry, they will still be playing Who-style.  They will feature some Tommy and Quad, along with other songs and the new stuff.
    I am looking forward to it.  Are you going to the Dallas show?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anyone have presale codes?
    I am looking forward to it.  Are you going to the Dallas show?
    For sure, and maybe 1 or 2 others, I don't know yet.