Another "The Official The Who" Thread

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    edited December 2018
    Best Who concert I ever attended was the show they did after Cincy tragedy New Haven CT , set list and emotion was out of this world I’ll never forget that night if I died that night I would of been totally happy !!!
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Best Who concert I ever attended was the show they did after Cincy tragedy New Haven CT , set list and emotion was out of this world I’ll never forget that night if I died that night I would of been totally happy !!!
    Sounds like a great show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Here's my favorite photo from the 1968 San Jose Civic Auditorium show some friends and I went to.  My friend Paul took this great shot, along with  a few others.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    brianlux said:
    I've Never seen The Who..
    I'm enveous of all of you who have gotten to see The Who.
    I saw Rodger Daltrey and Eric Clapton double headliner show 'bout 10 years ago.
    It was neat to see those two guys just because.  Rodger went first.
    It was ok, but I can't say that it was any kind of a great show.
    They didn't collaborate at all.  ok fine.  But for some reason neither one of them had any energy to speak of at all.  Daltrey sang a few of his greatest hits for about 1 hour,,,,,that was it for him. The crowd was lame not really into it.  The crowd all sat on the're cans the whole show even during Roger's grand  finale closer Bubba.  It was like pulling teeth to get people goin' ( my buddy & I were rockin, but not too many) 
    Clapton played for 1 hour & mabey 15 minutes.  Claptin kept looking at his watch between every song, never got up from his stool once I don't think. They both looked like they'd rather be playing checkers.
    Oh well
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    They didn't collaborate at all.  ok fine.  But for some reason neither one of them had any energy to speak of at all.  Daltrey sang a few of his greatest hits for about 1 hour,,,,,that was it for him. The crowd was lame not really into it.  The crowd all sat on the're cans the whole show even during Roger's grand  finale closer Bubba.  It was like pulling teeth to get people goin' ( my buddy & I were rockin, but not too many) 
    Clapton played for 1 hour & mabey 15 minutes.  Claptin kept looking at his watch between every song, never got up from his stool once I don't think. They both looked like they'd rather be playing checkers.
    Oh well
    Cool that you got to see Daltry and Clapton!  Too bad it wasn't a great show.  I think that was probably around the time Roger was having some serious health issues including pollips on his throat.  He had them taken care of and seems to be doing pretty well lately having put out a record earlier this year and doing some touring.

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    So glad this thread was made.

The Who's role in my life is that band that you don't necessarily forget about, but don't listen to for a period of time, and then gloriously almost rediscover periodically.

This thread helped me do that again. What a band!!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    PJWGIII said:
    So glad this thread was made.

The Who's role in my life is that band that you don't necessarily forget about, but don't listen to for a period of time, and then gloriously almost rediscover periodically.

This thread helped me do that again. What a band!!
    Bingo!  Well done PJWGill! 

brianlux said:
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    Oh well
    Cool that you got to see Daltry and Clapton!  Too bad it wasn't a great show.  I think that was probably around the time Roger was having some serious health issues including pollips on his throat.  He had them taken care of and seems to be doing pretty well lately having put out a record earlier this year and doing some touring.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-last-word-roger-daltrey-on-marriage-hip-hop-and-the-who-hit-hes-sick-of-singing-710383/
    (Sorry the curser got stuck in your comment I hate it when that happens)  Rodger Daltrey is fantastic and just a great human being.  Thanks for posting that article. 74 years old same age as my dad lol.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I will never get into The Who.

Who's Next is a nice album though. 
    You like kiss, but not musical geniuses like the who.  odd.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018
    You got me goin now Brian,  So I was listening to The Who Hits 50 cds today while I was driving around doing errands.
    This is a tune that somehow exits my mind completely, I forget that it exists until I hear it again.  Its a just weird catchy indescribable song.  And I'm instantly intrigued by it again.
    My dog even likes it....
    https://youtu.be/qkEpopoiqtw

Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    You got me goin now Brian,  So I was listening to The Who Hits 50 cds today while I was driving around doing errands.
    This is a tune that somehow exits my mind completely, I forget that it exists until I hear it again.  Its a just weird catchy indescribable song.  And I'm instantly intrigued by it again.
    My dog even likes it....
    https://youtu.be/qkEpopoiqtw

That's pretty cool, RYME!  I'd never heard that one.  :smile:

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Dogs is fun and catchy.  :triumph:   It was the B side to Pinball Wizard. 
    Friends recently gave me the box set Maximum As&Bs, a collection of all Who singles.  5 CDs and I've been having so much fun listening to them.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Dogs is fun and catchy.  :triumph:   It was the B side to Pinball Wizard. 
    Friends recently gave me the box set Maximum As&Bs, a collection of all Who singles.  5 CDs and I've been having so much fun listening to them.
    That sounds fantastic and I checked out the track listing-- nice.   And what a great gift!

jose...you are one lucky dude to see the who with keith moon.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Anyone who has seen the who with keith moon.  You are lucky and I am envious.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Totally agree meltdown,
    I did listen to Quadrophenia front to back about a month ago.
    Quadrophenia is such a masterpice in so many ways.  And I think Keith's drumming throughout that whole album front to back is as good as it gets. Every twist & turn of every song you know tempo changes all hinges around his drumming.  Fast/slow.  It's like driving 60 mph, slowing down to go around the corner then accelerating again up to 60, mph he does this time and time again throughout that album.  It's really incredible.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    RYME said:
    Totally agree meltdown,
    I did listen to Quadrophenia front to back about a month ago.
    Quadrophenia is such a masterpice in so many ways.  And I think Keith's drumming throughout that whole album front to back is as good as it gets. Every twist & turn of every song you know tempo changes all hinges around his drumming.  Fast/slow.  It's like driving 60 mph, slowing down to go around the corner then accelerating again up to 60, mph he does this time and time again throughout that album.  It's really incredible.

Spot on about the drumming on this masterpiece..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Anyone who has seen the who with keith moon.  You are lucky and I am envious.Ditto
    (I dont know how to prevent my curser from bouncing up into the previous quote, or how to undo it once its there.  I X out of everything, even sign out, re-sign in and it's still stuck.  Any suggestions from one of you tech savy people out there It's frustrating?)
    edited December 2018
    Anyway this track reminds me of the Grand Finale portion of a fireworks display and or a thunderstorm that's approaching and just lets loose. 
    The Rock

https://youtu.be/vsS5o6NRRZM
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited December 2018
    I was very lucky to see Moon in 1968.  Second row seats at the San Jose Civic, no less! He was in great shape- just a blur of arms and legs for the entire show.  Like a one man orchestra of drumming.  Fantastic.
    Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:
    I was very lucky to see Moon in 1968.  Second row seats at the San Jose Civic, no less! He was in great shape- just a blur of arms and legs for the entire show.  Like a one man orchestra of drumming.  Fantastic.
     Lucky you.  So which other DVDs should I get so I can pretend I'm watching them in person with Keith Moon's blurry sticks?  
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
     Lucky you.  So which other DVDs should I get so I can pretend I'm watching them in person with Keith Moon's blurry sticks?  
    The "Special Edition" of "The Kids are Alright" I previously mentioned has some great Keith stuff in it, and another one any Who fan will want is the 3 DVD "Exclusive Edition" set called "Amazing Journey, The Story of The Who"*.  Disc one includes some amazing video of early Who with Keith going wild.  Great stuff, well worth the price of admission! 

* There are a couple of really sad segments in this film regarding the loss of Keith Moon and, later John Entwistle.  And I loved the part where Pete and Roger talk about how close they are after all these years despite being two very different people.  

edited December 2018
    I saw the Who with Keith.  My first Who show was in 1976 and my most recent and probably last was in 2016.  Many shows in between.  I do consider myself lucky that I saw Keith but I also know that I'm lucky to have been around for a long time and was lucky to live in a city where we had concerts regularly.  That was brought home to me when I worked with a guy who expressed envy at my concert resume.  He grew up in Pampa, Texas--look it up, it ain't close to anything!
    There's always somebody who can trump your concert history, and it's usually because they were in the right place at the right time.  I have a friend who saw The Who play at the Marquee Club when she was an exchange student in London.  She saw them many times at the Fillmore West, was at Monterey Pop Festival, at the Winterland show where the famous photo of Pete tossing his guitar was taken, at the Cow Palace the night Keith OD'd on stage.  I think she needs to write a book.
    I've never been to a bad Who show but they stand out for different reasons.  The 1976 show when they played a cover of Roadrunner.  1980 when they absolutely killed it, probably the longest Who show I've seen.  Opening with Baba plus the laser lights at VH1 Rock Honors.  The Quad tour a few years ago; they were so incredible I felt like I could have died at that point.  And the super fun show at the Santa Barbara Bowl, my first time to see them outdoors and first time to see them in a small venue.  They were loose and a little sloppy and obviously having a lot of fun.
    As far as DVDs with Keith, another good one is Live at the Isle of Wight.
    I saw the Who with Keith.  My first Who show was in 1976 and my most recent and probably last was in 2016.  Many shows in between.  I do consider myself lucky that I saw Keith but I also know that I'm lucky to have been around for a long time and was lucky to live in a city where we had concerts regularly.  That was brought home to me when I worked with a guy who expressed envy at my concert resume.  He grew up in Pampa, Texas--look it up, it ain't close to anything!
    There's always somebody who can trump your concert history, and it's usually because they were in the right place at the right time.  I have a friend who saw The Who play at the Marquee Club when she was an exchange student in London.  She saw them many times at the Fillmore West, was at Monterey Pop Festival, at the Winterland show where the famous photo of Pete tossing his guitar was taken, at the Cow Palace the night Keith OD'd on stage.  I think she needs to write a book.
    I've never been to a bad Who show but they stand out for different reasons.  The 1976 show when they played a cover of Roadrunner.  1980 when they absolutely killed it, probably the longest Who show I've seen.  Opening with Baba plus the laser lights at VH1 Rock Honors.  The Quad tour a few years ago; they were so incredible I felt like I could have died at that point.  And the super fun show at the Santa Barbara Bowl, my first time to see them outdoors and first time to see them in a small venue.  They were loose and a little sloppy and obviously having a lot of fun.
    As far as DVDs with Keith, another good one is Live at the Isle of Wight.
    Oh, if I had just been a little older I would have gone to Monterey.  I was 16 and now way would my folks let me go.  :frowning:   I wish I'd seen them more than once but so glad for that one time!

Is this the photo?  I love this one!

WP, any other Who movies you recommend?  I only have the two I mentioned. 

No, this picture:

Image result for pete townshend winterland

Other DVDs: 
    I like Live in Texas 1975 even though the quality isn't great.  It's from the By Numbers tour and you don't see much from that.  Pete sings However Much I Booze; I could be wrong but I don't know if he's ever performed that live with The Who any other time.
    Live at Kilburn 1977 is kind of a mess.  They were supposed to be recording the show that would be included in The Kids Are Alright but things kept getting screwed up.  It's still worth watching, I think.
    Lots of good excerpts in other places, like the clips from Woodstock and the box set Maximum R&B Live.
    They don't own a lot of their early shows, which makes it hard to release audio or video from them.  I still think that someday the whole set from Woodstock will be released and we'll get to see Pete push Abbie Hoffman off the stage.
    No, this picture:

Other DVDs: 
    I like Live in Texas 1975 even though the quality isn't great.  It's from the By Numbers tour and you don't see much from that.  Pete sings However Much I Booze; I could be wrong but I don't know if he's ever performed that live with The Who any other time.
    Live at Kilburn 1977 is kind of a mess.  They were supposed to be recording the show that would be included in The Kids Are Alright but things kept getting screwed up.  It's still worth watching, I think.
    Lots of good excerpts in other places, like the clips from Woodstock and the box set Maximum R&B Live.
    They don't own a lot of their early shows, which makes it hard to release audio or video from them.  I still think that someday the whole set from Woodstock will be released and we'll get to see Pete push Abbie Hoffman off the stage.
    I hope so too!  Yeah, Pete writing about that Woodstock Hoffman incident was interesting.

By the way, in my talking about seeing The Who and Moon in '68, I hope I didn't come across as trying to one up anyone's concert history.  I just like sharing and hearing stories.  It's like yesterday when I told a bookstore customer a couple brief stories about Neil Young, the guy said, "Oh, I have one better than that."  It was a great story but I wanted to say, "Whoa whoa whoa, lets just trade stories, not one-up each other."   But I didn't say anything like that, I just smiled and told him that was a great story. 

edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    No, this picture:

Other DVDs: 
    I hope so too!  Yeah, Pete writing about that Woodstock Hoffman incident was interesting.

By the way, in my talking about seeing The Who and Moon in '68, I hope I didn't come across as trying to one up anyone's concert history.  I just like sharing and hearing stories.  It's like yesterday when I told a bookstore customer a couple brief stories about Neil Young, the guy said, "Oh, I have one better than that."  It was a great story but I wanted to say, "Whoa whoa whoa, lets just trade stories, not one-up each other."   But I didn't say anything like that, I just smiled and told him that was a great story. 
    As I'm listening to Quadrophenia again and drinking some Old Style,  What a great photo!!!! B)
    Post edited by RYME on
    No, Brian, not at all.  I was thinking of some Who fans who take great pride in their concert history, how many times they've seen the band, how many places.  Some of these people make nearly every show on every tour, usually with FRC seats.  I know a guy who's seen the Who on 3 continents.  I don't begrudge anybody their experiences but obviously these people have way more time and disposable income than I do.  This is why I never say how many Who shows I've seen.  (A lot but not as many as some people.)  When people are bragging about their shows, and how this show didn't live up to that show, it really, really turns me off.  We're supposed to be fans out of our love of Who music, not to have bragging rights.
    No, Brian, not at all.  I was thinking of some Who fans who take great pride in their concert history, how many times they've seen the band, how many places.  Some of these people make nearly every show on every tour, usually with FRC seats.  I know a guy who's seen the Who on 3 continents.  I don't begrudge anybody their experiences but obviously these people have way more time and disposable income than I do.  This is why I never say how many Who shows I've seen.  (A lot but not as many as some people.)  When people are bragging about their shows, and how this show didn't live up to that show, it really, really turns me off.  We're supposed to be fans out of our love of Who music, not to have bragging rights.
    Cool, thank WP.  And how cool that you've gotten to see the a bunch of times.  Nice!  :smile:

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Sounds like Pearl Jam fans.