Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    When do? the results of your electoral reform come out?
    Well all ballots must be in by Dec 7th. I'm not really sure how long it's supposed to take to count them.
    Keep us posted.  I'm curious as to the results.  Does the yes side figure they will win?
    Well, I mean, they hope to obviously... but I get the feeling that they are worried, just like I am. The sad, sad reality is that the general population may be too stupid and/or lazy and/or too apathetic for Yes to win. People apparently are "turned off" the change simply because they aren't bothered to really figure out what the alternatives are and how they would work compared to what we have now. The government has worked really hard to get them educated about it, but it's not working nearly as well as it should, because too many people don't give a fuck about much of anything anymore, besides their own little universes. It's so depressing. So they are either voting No out of pure ignorance (the devil you know kind of thing), or not voting at all, which will likely be the majority of people. That just pisses me off.
    And then there are the noes who do know, and specifically don't want a change and support the status quo ... Those would mostly be the fucking BC Liberal supporters. They're the worst. They're also people who just want metro Vancouver to run the province as much as possible because they live there and think that will serve metro Vancouver residents best (my mom is one of those).

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well all ballots must be in by Dec 7th. I'm not really sure how long it's supposed to take to count them.
    Keep us posted.  I'm curious as to the results.  Does the yes side figure they will win?
    Well, I mean, they hope to obviously... but I get the feeling that they are worried, just like I am. The sad, sad reality is that the general population may be too stupid and/or lazy and/or too apathetic for Yes to win. People apparently are "turned off" the change simply because they aren't bothered to really figure out what the alternatives are and how they would work compared to what we have now. The government has worked really hard to get them educated about it, but it's not working nearly as well as it should, because too many people don't give a fuck about much of anything anymore, besides their own little universes. It's so depressing. So they are either voting No out of pure ignorance (the devil you know kind of thing), or not voting at all, which will likely be the majority of people. That just pisses me off.
    And then there are the noes who do know, and specifically don't want a change and support the status quo ... Those would mostly be the fucking BC Liberal supporters. They're the worst. They're also people who just want metro Vancouver to run the province as much as possible because they live there and think that will serve metro Vancouver residents best (my mom is one of those).

We had a similar referendum about 10 years ago, we still have first past the post.  The governing liberals stayed neutral, the NDP campaigned for proportional representation, I can not recall what the PCs position was... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We had a similar referendum about 10 years ago, we still have first past the post.  The governing liberals stayed neutral, the NDP campaigned for proportional representation, I can not recall what the PCs position was... 
    We have also done this before years ago. It lost. But there options were way different. This time, if we select yes, we then have three options that we can rank from our favorite to our least favorite brand of proportional representation. I dunno... I hope it wins, and I hope the dual member option wins, although I have a feeling the mixed-member option will win if yes wins at all.... Perhaps those who don't want Prop Rep didn't vote at all? That's my only hope here - that the noes were more apathetic and didn't weigh in enough. Maybe us yes people were way more likely to return a ballot?? I doubt it, but I hope so. It kind of blows my mind that people think what he have now is working well enough to not try something else, I mean seriously.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    @HughFreakingDillon, the Amish are coming your way!

Interesting article about the movement of Amish families to Manitoba, and to the East coast, as farm land in Ontario is too expensive for this generation to buy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/amish-in-manitoba-1.4937694
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Only fucking Trudeau would hold a first ministers meeting and try to leave manufacturing and oil and gas off the agenda...fuck he is an idiot...

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited December 2018

• My gawd the correctional service just flaunts their f**king uselessness.

Just. F**king. Useless.

I agree with dad... a major overhaul is necessary. Put a party in front of me that makes this a priority for them and I'm in. So is virtually every other Canadian grounded in common sense.

Exactly what do we owe a f**king shitbird that raped and killed an 8 year old girl? He deserves a noose or old Sparky. He gets a country club.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

My gawd the correctional service just flaunts their f**king uselessness.

Just. F**king. Useless.

I agree with dad... a major overhaul is necessary. Put a party in front of me that makes this a priority for them and I'm in. So is virtually every other Canadian grounded in common sense.

Exactly what do we owe a f**king shitbird that raped and killed an 8 year old girl? He deserves a noose or old Sparky. He gets a country club.
    You can not make this shit up.  All murderers that have life sentences need to stay in maximum security.  Why is that so hard for the government to understand...

Ralph Goodale just keeps blaming Harper, just like Trudeau...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Harper is as culpable as any other leader who has failed us in developing a correctional service that doesn’t absolutely stink.

As I said before... I’m all in on correctional reform. And not the type of reform where we make things really comfortable for shitheads that rape and murder 8 year olds.

The pendulum is swinging back. There’s some people that think things are fantastic, but the majority are f**king tired of hearing about such nonsense... over and over again.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    @HughFreakingDillon, the Amish are coming your way!

Interesting article about the movement of Amish families to Manitoba, and to the East coast, as farm land in Ontario is too expensive for this generation to buy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/amish-in-manitoba-1.4937694
    bring on the horse and buggies!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• We're set to deport a Colombian family who has lived in Canada for six years awaiting their claim to be processed.

ttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/%e2%80%98i-was-devastated%e2%80%99-family-living-in-canada-for-6-years-to-be-deported-christmas-eve/ar-BBQQinb?ocid=spartanntp

We will try to comfort child murderers as the poor poor killers are forced (gawd we should just get over it already... right PM Purple Socks?) to serve time and hastily admit violent refugees without proper vetting... but we take a strong stance against a family that owns property, run small businesses, and volunteer in the community.
    We're set to deport a Colombian family who has lived in Canada for six years awaiting their claim to be processed.

ttps://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/%e2%80%98i-was-devastated%e2%80%99-family-living-in-canada-for-6-years-to-be-deported-christmas-eve/ar-BBQQinb?ocid=spartanntp

We will try to comfort child murderers as the poor poor killers are forced (gawd we should just get over it already... right PM Purple Socks?) to serve time and hastily admit violent refugees without proper vetting... but we take a strong stance against a family that owns property, run small businesses, and volunteer in the community.
    Christmas Eve, no less...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    We're set to deport a Colombian family who has lived in Canada for six years awaiting their claim to be processed.

I don't think it makes sense to connect these two issues.
    But I do hate it when Immigration Canada does this kind of thing to productive people who want to be citizens, while it gives way too many chances to certain other immigrants who are bad from the country. I think Immigration Canada and many of its policies and procedures need a MASSIVE overhaul. I've been saying so for years.
  • PJ_Soul said:

But I do hate it when Immigration Canada does this kind of thing to productive people who want to be citizens, while it gives way too many chances to certain other immigrants who are bad from the country. I think Immigration Canada and many of its policies and procedures need a MASSIVE overhaul. I've been saying so for years.

I just had to toss that one in there because it bugs the shit out of me.
    Windsor mom wages battle to keep child killer behind bars

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/windsor-mom-wages-battle-to-keep-child-killer-behind-bars?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1NczqnwIlZn_l7H9sry-YT-EKDt4uxWtv0VDmgYwvx0jlnD6NaPyLIi0E#Echobox=1544763778

No mother should have to fight to keep a killer behind bars.  It's time for life to mean life.  You kill, you spend your remaining days in 6. y 3 cell, child predators should be locked up so deep in the ground we have to pump light into them.  Do not expect PM Fluff to do anything, he disrespect good Canadians and hands money to a terrorist...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

• Typical Canada standard operating procedure.
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
    I'd let Kadhr go to Saudi Arabia, as long as he agrees to stay...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Quebecers criticize 'dirty' Alberta oil but buy more gasoline, SUVs: reporth

ttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/quebec-oil-use-1.4948546

LOL.  They are eternally on welfare...

Give Peas A Chance…

Off to Quebec, the eternal freeloaders of confederation...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

I just had to toss that one in there because it bugs the shit out of me.
    The family can stay. :) This forum SUCKS so much when posting on a phone that I can't even paste the link to the story. :angry:

edited December 2018
    I think that tax should be more connected to income combined with property value. I do know that a LOT of those homeowners can easily afford that tax (including my bro-in-law and sister) and, considering how they are all treated like royalty otherwise in those areas, I don't mind the tax in principle. But i also know that some people with average incomes or retired people are just sitting in a house that was totally cheap when they bought it and it simply appreciated by millions and millions while they lived there for years and years. These are teachers and trades workers and small business owners and people on pensions and shit, and they are already struggling with the massively inflated property taxes reflecting the real estate boom/crisis. Those with incomes under a certain a level should absolutely be exempt.

But don't let some of these people fool you. Many are fat cats who play the system like mad, are fully reaping the benefits if being the special people in the rich neighborhoods who are served better by tax funded institutions in general, including schools, and they can and should put a little more in.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think that tax should be more connected to income combined with property value. I do know that a LOT of those homeowners can easily afford that tax (including my bro-in-law and sister) and, considering how they are all treated like royalty otherwise in those areas, I don't mind the tax in principle. But i also know that some people with average incomes or retired people are just sitting in a house that was totally cheap when they bought it and it simply appreciated by millions and millions while they loved there. These are teachers and people on pensions and shit, and they are already struggling with the massively inflated property taxes. Those with incomes under a certain a level should be exempt.
    But don't let some of these people fool you. Many are fat cats who play the system like mad, are fully reaping the benefits if being the special people in the rich neighborhoods who are served better by tax funded institutions in general, including schools, and they can and should put a little more in.
    Yes, that is true.  If you have been in your home for 30 plus years might make your home worth millions, but if you are retired nurse, the teacher pension certainly does not reflect the value of the house.  So maybe property taxes should be on household income.  We can not assume every homeowner is wealthy.  Even though as you said, "there are many who are wealthy.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Andrew Coyne: Trudeau seems unperturbed as trouble brews on all sides

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-trudeau-seems-unperturbed-as-trouble-brews-on-all-sides/wcm/32d7fb37-995c-4d45-a5d5-e473461dc1e4?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3cNa5yt4I7EAdiF1O46HnQCiRSa6Uc3m80qmoMBr-BklT60BKrvSfInXs#Echobox=1545141351

“There is no support for a pipeline through Quebec,” was the prime minister’s blunt reply. You thought pipelines were a federal matter? You thought Trudeau’s professed willingness to push Trans Mountain through over B.C.’s objections had confirmed that? Think again. This is Quebec, after all.

This does not make any sense, I think the opposition against pipelines in BC is far greater and riskier than Energy East.  Plus it would get us off Saudi Oil.

Trans Mountain will never be built...

So maybe they need to develop another way to get their oil to tidewater...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    so starting today, cops can pull you over and force you to have a breathalyzer, with absolutely zero cause. before today, they had to have reasonable suspicion you were under the influence.  people are freaking out that this is a slippery slope and totally unconstitutional. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD