U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

That's awesome.  I love Yedlin....crazy that he's now one of the veteran leaders for the US.  
    More friendlies coming up next week and STILL no permanent coach in place.  What the hell are they waiting for?!?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Last I heard, Earnie Stewart said he wants to name a new coach before the end of the year. If that's true we should start hearing about interviews and candidates. I know as of last month they hadn't interviewed anyone yet, but Earnie had only been the GM for several weeks. Now we're another month in, so hopefully he's narrowed his options and will start talking with candidates. The end of the year is only 12 weeks away. Time to get busy, Earnie.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08

That's awesome.  I love Yedlin....crazy that he's now one of the veteran leaders for the US.  
    Love Yedlin as well. I used to watch him play as a teenager (he played for the academy team of a local club that my son played for). He was a stand-out player back then for sure. You could see he was something special compared to the kids he was playing with and against.
    jeffbr said:

Love Yedlin as well. I used to watch him play as a teenager (he played for the academy team of a local club that my son played for). He was a stand-out player back then for sure. You could see he was something special compared to the kids he was playing with and against.
    Love that he wants to play in Europe where the best leagues are.  Hopefully he doesn't come back to MLS in his prime like Bradley and Jozy did.  That league is such a joke...designated players, targeted allocation money, retirement league for European stars, etc...  So hard to take that league seriously.
    jeffbr said:

Love that he wants to play in Europe where the best leagues are.  Hopefully he doesn't come back to MLS in his prime like Bradley and Jozy did.  That league is such a joke...designated players, targeted allocation money, retirement league for European stars, etc...  So hard to take that league seriously.
    I hear you. I support my local MLS club, because I'm a soccer fan, and am happy to go see soccer played at the highest level available to me. But the league is decades behind in talent, development, coaching, etc... I think of it like car racing. F1 cars are elite. But it still can be fun watching F3 cars, all built from similar specs, racing one another. It's still exciting and it is fun to see younger drivers develop into F1 drivers.
    I hate MLS single-entity bs, the low salary cap, DPs and TAM to get around caps, special favors done by the league for teams they're trying to market, no promotion / relegation possible with single-entity, etc... So I was very happy to "lose" DeAndre to Europe. My club took a hit in talent when he left, but it was absolutely the best move for his career. 
    jeffbr said:
    jeffbr said:

I hear you. I support my local MLS club, because I'm a soccer fan, and am happy to go see soccer played at the highest level available to me. But the league is decades behind in talent, development, coaching, etc... I think of it like car racing. F1 cars are elite. But it still can be fun watching F3 cars, all built from similar specs, racing one another. It's still exciting and it is fun to see younger drivers develop into F1 drivers.
    I hate MLS single-entity bs, the low salary cap, DPs and TAM to get around caps, special favors done by the league for teams they're trying to market, no promotion / relegation possible with single-entity, etc... So I was very happy to "lose" DeAndre to Europe. My club took a hit in talent when he left, but it was absolutely the best move for his career. 
    Yeah the whole single entity thing in a complete joke.  When some aging European superstar wants to come to MLS and play in LA...he ends up playing in LA like Zlatan did.  So the whole "priority list" or whatever it is for designated players is complete horseshit.  And they just keep adding more and more teams to water down this league even more. 

Oh well....I'm just happy with the amount of young American prospects that are playing in Europe right now.  Would much rather have these guys getting regular time even in the 2nd/3rd divisions in these European leagues than playing in MLS.  Check out the website American Soccer Now...they do a great recap after every weekend of all the American players that are playing abroad.  There are quite a few guys that I'm not familiar with that are playing over there...good stuff.
    1 year since that horrible, horrible night in Trinidad.  I was sick in bed with the flu all day and woke up just in time to watch them lose in fucking Trinidad.  Still can't believe that really happened.  And I still can't believe we don't have a coach in place yet.  US Soccer is an embarrassment.  They have so much money and so much young talent and have zero direction.  It's hard to see any significant change ever taking place....good breakdown by Grant Wahl here.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/10/10/usmnt-anniversary-trinidad-miss-world-cup-us-soccer-change
    Thanks for the link to that article. That was a really good, but disturbing piece. US Soccer is definitely an embarrassment.  Will we at least get automatic qualification for the CAN/US/Mexico WC? Just wondering, because if we don't get our shit together soon, we'll be skipping Qatar (although I have no interest in a winter WC in Qatar, so I almost don't care). I guess we can let the process run for another several years, and then start prepping for our group stage ouster in our own country. Fun!
    jeffbr said:
    Thanks for the link to that article. That was a really good, but disturbing piece. US Soccer is definitely an embarrassment.  Will we at least get automatic qualification for the CAN/US/Mexico WC? Just wondering, because if we don't get our shit together soon, we'll be skipping Qatar (although I have no interest in a winter WC in Qatar, so I almost don't care). I guess we can let the process run for another several years, and then start prepping for our group stage ouster in our own country. Fun!
    Yeah Grant Wahl is the best US soccer writer out there.  I'm pretty sure they get an automatic qualification for 2026.  But it doesn't really matter since they're expanding to 48 teams starting for 2022.  It will be just about impossible for the US to not qualify coming out of a weak ass region like CONCACAF.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Holy shit, Atlanta! This really an MLS game?! 
    Well it sounds like it's just about official that Berhalter is taking over.  I don't much about him since I don't pay attention to the garbage MLS, but this guy hasn't even won a trophy in that horseshit league.  US Soccer has fucked up this process so badly....any hope for major change after Gulati left has been crushed.  But just gotta hope we can be successful with all the young talent in spite of the horrific management...
    I have absolutely no opinion. Dude knows Europe and is respected, but yeah. No idea. Hoping they know what they’re doing after 400+ days. They have a world class player
    I’ll argue I like it. Any of the big names were klinsmann 2.0. Get someone in our structure that knows Europe well. That’s what they got
    The guy couldn't cut it in the Swedish league.  And never won shit in the MLS.  And his brother is the COO of US Soccer...LOL.  Just feels like a very uninspired hire after 14 months.  If this was their guy all along then why not hire him a year ago?  What a joke of an organization.
    The guy couldn't cut it in the Swedish league.  And never won shit in the MLS.  And his brother is the COO of US Soccer...LOL.  Just feels like a very uninspired hire after 14 months.  If this was their guy all along then why not hire him a year ago?  What a joke of an organization.
    This is where I am, too. He was mediocre. His coaching record is mediocre. He really doesn't have any trophies for anything he's been part of. No real history of success. But his brother is in the org, so it sure looks like nepotism at play. Jay Berhalter hires Earnie Stewart, who then hires Jay's brother.  As for why they didn't hire him a year ago, my guess is because Klinsmann was still under contract, and they didn't want to have to pay both salaries at the same time. lol. It certainly wasn't because they were doing a thorough search for and vetting of candidates. 
    edited December 2018
    Been a few days since I popped back in this thread.  While I agree the hiring is generally uninspiring and reeks of nepotism, I just don't know.

I am not sure how I would feel about going the foreign route, I definitely wouldn't want a big name and Klinnsman 2.0, which the Mexico coach and some of the other names floated would have been.  Would we be okay if we had a European version of Berhalter with a similar resume?  I think we probably would.

They needed someone who knows American soccer.  I agree there are significant changes needed in the entire structure, but how do those changes get made while not losing sight of the next world cup cycle?  I honestly don't know.  This is a very Bob Bradley type hire.  

The guys has spent a ton of his career in Europe, so he knows the value there.  He has had modest success from a coaching standpoint, but he is clearly a respected guy.  He knows American soccer and I am sure what is good and bad about it.  He has all the experience I'd be looking for.

This organization has no business getting the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know what anyone would have been happy with.  Give it time and see.

Been a few days since I popped back in this thread.  While I agree the hiring is generally uninspiring and reeks of nepotism, I just don't know.

I am not sure how I would feel about going the foreign route, I definitely wouldn't want a big name and Klinnsman 2.0, which the Mexico coach and some of the other names floated would have been.  Would we be okay if we had a European version of Berhalter with a similar resume?  I think we probably would.

They needed someone who knows American soccer.  I agree there are significant changes needed in the entire structure, but how do those changes get made while not losing sight of the next world cup cycle?  I honestly don't know.  This is a very Bob Bradley type hire.  

The guys has spent a ton of his career in Europe, so he knows the value there.  He has had modest success from a coaching standpoint, but he is clearly a respected guy.  He knows American soccer and I am sure what is good and bad about it.  He has all the experience I'd be looking for.

This organization has no business getting the benefit of the doubt, but I don't know what anyone would have been happy with.  Give it time and see.

My main issue is that it took 14 months to get to this point.  14 wasted months where this guy could have been working with the exciting young core of players we have right now.  It has been painfully clear that he was going to be the guy so why wait all this time???  Now the whole program is even further behind than teams that already played in the World Cup. 

Yeah, we'll have to give it time for sure. As far as Berhalter, it just seems like business as usual. Stay the course of mediocrity. Inject no new ideas. Berhalter is just a continuation of Arena as far as I can tell. Hopefully by 2026 the program will be in order, and we can perform well in front of home crowds. I have no hope or expectations for 2022. 
    On the other hand, Berhalter did pretty well at Columbus this past season, and it looks like his final move was to get Zach Steffan to Man City. So that was at least positive. I hope Berhalter surprises me.

jeffbr said:

Yeah, we'll have to give it time for sure. As far as Berhalter, it just seems like business as usual. Stay the course of mediocrity. Inject no new ideas. Berhalter is just a continuation of Arena as far as I can tell. Hopefully by 2026 the program will be in order, and we can perform well in front of home crowds. I have no hope or expectations for 2022. 
    On the other hand, Berhalter did pretty well at Columbus this past season, and it looks like his final move was to get Zach Steffan to Man City. So that was at least positive. I hope Berhalter surprises me.

Completely disagree on the Arena point.  I don't disagree on the business as usual aspect. That is troubling.

This guy spent his entire career in Europe.  He is not an MLS stooge like Arena.

My main issue is that it took 14 months to get to this point.  14 wasted months where this guy could have been working with the exciting young core of players we have right now.  It has been painfully clear that he was going to be the guy so why wait all this time???  Now the whole program is even further behind than teams that already played in the World Cup. 

Yeah, 14 months for this guy is something special.  Troubling they weren't ready to hire anyone coming out of the World Cup as well.

Yeah, 14 months for this guy is something special.  Troubling they weren't ready to hire anyone coming out of the World Cup as well.

Very troubling.  Even more troubling is that Stewart only had formal interviews with 2 guys.  2 fucking guys.  That's a fireable offense in my opinion.  Rumors were that Julen Lopetegui reached out and wanted to discuss the job but they didn't even bother talking to him....LOL.  I guess the US doesn't need to talk to a guy who was unbeaten in 20 matches with Spain.  But hey, Berhalter's brother hired Stewart and then he hired Berhalter.  Obviously I hope it turns out to be a home run hire but the whole process just wreaks of nepotism and the same old shit with US Soccer.
    jeffbr said:

Completely disagree on the Arena point.  I don't disagree on the business as usual aspect. That is troubling.

This guy spent his entire career in Europe.  He is not an MLS stooge like Arena.
    Oh, I sure hope he isn't an Arena stooge or an MLS stooge. But Berhalter played under Bruce for almost all of his time on the USMNT, joined the Galaxy in 2009 and in 2011 became a player/coach under Arena. So he spent 8 years in Bruce's USMNT system, and a few years in Bruce's LA Galaxy system, including his first stint as an assistant coach under Bruce's tutelage. So that is why I fear that he will simply be a continuation of Bruce.
    And his win % in Sweden was about 39% and about 38% in Columbus, so he really didn't do anything to distinguish himself in terms of awards/trophies/championships as a coach. Hence my comment about mediocrity. 
    As I mentioned, I hope he surprises me. I hope he becomes the winningest USMNT manager in history. I hope he guides the USMNT to its first ever final. We'll see!
    Ugh.  This Gold Cup roster from Berhalter is a head-scratcher....more of the same old nonsense with way too many MLS guys.  But what else would you expect with an MLS coach running the USMNT.

Omar Gonzalez needs to go away....same with Jozy.  And leaving Josh Sargent off???  He could have been playing at the U-20 World Cup right now.  So instead he won't be doing anything meaningful at all this summer when he really needs the minutes and experience.  Berhalter called him their striker of the future yet you leave him out of the Gold Cup?!?!?  
    Ugh.  This Gold Cup roster from Berhalter is a head-scratcher....more of the same old nonsense with way too many MLS guys.  But what else would you expect with an MLS coach running the USMNT.

Omar Gonzalez needs to go away....same with Jozy.  And leaving Josh Sargent off???  He could have been playing at the U-20 World Cup right now.  So instead he won't be doing anything meaningful at all this summer when he really needs the minutes and experience.  Berhalter called him their striker of the future yet you leave him out of the Gold Cup?!?!?  
    http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/a-look-at-berhalter-s-first-major-test-the-2019-usmnt-gold-cup-roster

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/a-look-at-berhalter-s-first-major-test-the-2019-usmnt-gold-cup-roster

So much of the American soccer media are such apologists for US Soccer/MLS.  It's pretty bad.  The Gold Cup as a tournament is pretty much a joke....just a complete money grab by corrupt ass CONCACAF since they do it every 2 years.  If they did it every 4 years it may actually have some significance.  But since it's just a glorified exhibition why not play as many of these young guys as possible?!?  Get them as much international experience as you can before WC qualifying starts up.  But hey, let's watch Jozy light it up against Cuba and then disappear against any decent team!  
    Lol yikes 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    How's Zlatan doing?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Is there hooliganism in the US league?
    not really. super family oriented. lot involvement with youth leagues etc...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14