George H.W. Bush, the 41st U.S. president and father of the 43rd, has died at age 94

1235»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Wobbie said:
    tbergs said:
    Wow, take a break for a few hours and a thread about a dead president goes to shit over a dog posed in what is clearly meant to be a symbolic photo. If you haven't had a dog for a pet you may not be the best person to speak to how dogs act and the bond they form with their companion with them almost every hour of every day.
    I’ve had dogs, I’ve had that bond. I stand by my position that we are reading something different into that bond than the dogs are. Of course, my position is affected by having a degree in zoology. 

had to throw that in, didn’t you?

also, smartypants, I think “effected” may be the right word (at least here in the US) but I’m not 100% sure.
    Why yes, I am a smartypants - thanks for noticing!

And it is affected. Affected when something is impacted, effected when an action is being taken. Or in Canada, euffected. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Today is a US National Day of Mourning in honor of President George HW Bush. 

It's amazing how there has been a constant stream of people paying respects at the Rotunda in the Capitol Building 24 hours a day.  

The State Funeral is today at 10AM - former President George W Bush will give the eulogy. Hopefully Trump will just sit there and not speak or draw attention to himself. 

There is something about the passing of a President that causes the country to stop and honor them - probably because there have only been 44 of them in the country's history. In the age of Trump I think that the country is hungry for a pause from the insanity and to remember when our presidents were sane. 

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
    njnancy said:
    Today is a US National Day of Mourning in honor of President George HW Bush. 

It's amazing how there has been a constant stream of people paying respects at the Rotunda in the Capitol Building 24 hours a day.  

The State Funeral is today at 10AM - former President George W Bush will give the eulogy. Hopefully Trump will just sit there and not speak or draw attention to himself. 

There is something about the passing of a President that causes the country to stop and honor them - probably because there have only been 44 of them in the country's history. In the age of Trump I think that the country is hungry for a pause from the insanity and to remember when our presidents were sane. 

Just give him his soother and blanky and all will fine...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The Bush family met with the Trumps last summer.  Told the Trumps that the George H W Bush funeral will be about President 41, no slams, no roasting of Trump.  POTUS 41 all class to the end.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Was watching a 41 documentary last night on TV.  It was really interesting to look back.  He hated the politics part of it all.  Just wanted to be judged by what he did and not have to go parading around and tooting his own horn.  

One interesting stat that I did not look up or verify elsewhere yet, apparently about 60% of the economic boom of the 90's...the Clinton Surplus...can be directly attributed to what Bush did prior to losing the election.  POTUS 41 certainly had his flaws, but history continues to make him look better and better it seems.  

Also saw a clip during the campaign where Clinton was stating something in regards to Bush and the report that came out 4 days before the election about Iran Contra and what he may have known (and we complain about Comey and emails).  Clinton basically attacked his character and was saying the presidency deserved more integrity....funny how that turned out too!!!  You could easily argue that Obama is the only president with integrity since POTUS 41.  Anyhow, looking back at that campaign again (and hearing Ross Perots voice again) was very interesting and kinda sad how we get wrapped up in nonsense.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:
    outdoor cats (unteathered) are outlawed in Manitoba. have been for many years. it's fucking creepy seeing my neighbours white cat teathered and walking in a circle with its belly on the ground

I wonder how the rat and mice populations are doing in Montana? This is insane to me. So there are no barn/farm cats?? Aren't there a shitload of farms and barns in Montana??
    to answer your question though, i haven't noticed any increase at all in mice and rats, but rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks used to be seen rarely when i was a kid....now they fucking tear around like it's their playground. 

it's pretty cute having baby bunnies in the yard in the spring. 

not so cute throwing out eyeless baby bunnies from the fucking crows. 
    When my parents retired about 10 years ago they moved to a bigger house with a huge yard. There was a family of bunnies who lived in the bushes in the backyard that they thought were so cute.
    In fact, they were so cute my mom went to the pet store and about about a dozen rabbits to let loose in the yard.

They were picking up pieces of rabbit in the yard every day for the next 6 weeks.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Was watching a 41 documentary last night on TV.  It was really interesting to look back.  He hated the politics part of it all.  Just wanted to be judged by what he did and not have to go parading around and tooting his own horn.  

One interesting stat that I did not look up or verify elsewhere yet, apparently about 60% of the economic boom of the 90's...the Clinton Surplus...can be directly attributed to what Bush did prior to losing the election.  POTUS 41 certainly had his flaws, but history continues to make him look better and better it seems.  

Also saw a clip during the campaign where Clinton was stating something in regards to Bush and the report that came out 4 days before the election about Iran Contra and what he may have known (and we complain about Comey and emails).  Clinton basically attacked his character and was saying the presidency deserved more integrity....funny how that turned out too!!!  You could easily argue that Obama is the only president with integrity since POTUS 41.  Anyhow, looking back at that campaign again (and hearing Ross Perots voice again) was very interesting and kinda sad how we get wrapped up in nonsense.
    As a tax guy I've always said that Bush raising taxes (which cost him the election) was an absolutely responsible move.  He was the last true republican.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Do you remember what it was called and what channel? I remember seeing several previews for different tributes and I forgot to record any of them. This one sounds interesting.
    mace1229 said:

Do you remember what it was called and what channel? I remember seeing several previews for different tributes and I forgot to record any of them. This one sounds interesting.
    I don’t. I’ll try and figure it out. I came home and it was on the tv my wife was watching.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    outdoor cats (unteathered) are outlawed in Manitoba. have been for many years. it's fucking creepy seeing my neighbours white cat teathered and walking in a circle with its belly on the ground

I wonder how the rat and mice populations are doing in Montana? This is insane to me. So there are no barn/farm cats?? Aren't there a shitload of farms and barns in Montana??
    to answer your question though, i haven't noticed any increase at all in mice and rats, but rabbits and squirrels and chipmunks used to be seen rarely when i was a kid....now they fucking tear around like it's their playground. 

it's pretty cute having baby bunnies in the yard in the spring. 

not so cute throwing out eyeless baby bunnies from the fucking crows. 
    When my parents retired about 10 years ago they moved to a bigger house with a huge yard. There was a family of bunnies who lived in the bushes in the backyard that they thought were so cute.
    In fact, they were so cute my mom went to the pet store and about about a dozen rabbits to let loose in the yard.

They were picking up pieces of rabbit in the yard every day for the next 6 weeks.
    I can't believe your parents did that, lol. Had they never heard of the whole "screwing like rabbits" analogy? :lol: I'm surprised their idea didn't result in a full blown rabbit cull conducted by the city within a couple years (no offense to you mom - obviously her heart was in the right place!).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Love that Melania is sitting next to Obama. Also, get a kick out of George W. and Michelle Obama's friendship. Wonder what George W. gave to Michelle?
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Love that Melania is sitting next to Obama. Also, get a kick out of George W. and Michelle Obama's friendship. Wonder what George W. gave to Michelle?
    Candy. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,479
    edited December 2018
    Red pill.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Trump can not even sit there at a funeral, and not come across as the most miserable prick in the room ... after a day like this, when you see an unpopular president act with such grace, dignity and class ... really makes me sad for America.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    A note with TRUMP SUX! on it 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mace1229 said:

It was this I believe:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/bush/

hippiemom = goodness
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mace1229 said:

It was this I believe:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/bush/

I watched a couple last weekend both on CNN. But one was made by HBO. Really well done. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    George HW Bush's service dog Sully pays touching last tribute

I kind of hate to burst the bubble, but apparently Sully was with Bush for less than six months. He was a trained service dog who assisted with tasks like opening the door and fetching objects. This is a great photo into which people read far more than is there. 
    How does this burst a bubble? I'm sure this dog understood that his charge was dead and is sad about it (no, I'm not anthropomorphizing. Dogs do indeed become attached to their owners and miss them - we all know that). 6 months is long enough for a dog and person to become attached IMO. I'm not reading any more into it than what it is: sad.
    maybe not you, but tonnes of people are looking at this picture and seeing it as the dog in mourning over his master's casket, which, honestly, is ludicrous. obviously the dog CAN mourn if they see their master dead, but not a chance this dog understands who/what is behind him. 
    I disagree. I think the dog probably does know who is in that box and that he's dead. Dogs totally know when someone or something is dead, and he would definitely be able to smell who it is in the casket. I'm not saying that the dog is lying there crying inside over it of course. Mostly the photo is symbolic and that is what I think stirs some people's emotions ... I don't understand why anyone felt the need to kind of shit on that, but okay, lol.
    So you acknowledge the pic is largely symbolic, which is basically what often and I are saying, but your next statement is claiming that stating that is "shitting on it". 

was it "shitting on that" when you stated people who like pointless platitude pictures in their house as lacking something in their lives? I don't see this as any different. it's not shitting on anything. it's just having an opinion. 

if the dog knew his master was in that casket, and was dead, I'd imagine his training would require him to get help. he's lying there sleeping. unless dogs are trained to give up getting help if they know their master is dead. LOL
    I'd have to check the scientific literature, but if a dog can alert a diabetic that her sugar is low, I'd put my money on the dog knowing his charge is dead. I don't think dogs are trained to call 911, though.

It's sad -- the situation, maybe or maybe not the dog. 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Is this shit over yet? 
    Candy. 
    At McCain's funeral, Michelle Obama's throat got dry and W gave her a candy/lozenge. It was an inside joke to do so at his dad's funeral. Michelle Obama and George Bush hit it off and have a close friendship.

When there are only 44 people who are former presidents, no matter what their politics were, they all understand the idea of being a head of state in times of crisis/national tragedy. 45 has absolutely no idea how to act in a normal human situation. He is not a head of state, he is the head of the people who voted for him, at least he pretends to be.

I think it was really thoughtful for W to give her the candy. Not sure I would think of a small gesture like that at a parent's funeral. But they think differently. Except for the toddler. Everyone was chatting with each other until he showed up and he couldn't even shake everyone's hand like any normal President would do. He doesn't belong to the 'club'. That's been his problem his whole life. Can't figure out how to get into the 'clubs' he wants to be in and can't understand why  none of his 'peers' accept him.   It's blatantly obvious to any normal human being that is paying attention. Sitting in the pew with your arms crossed and not even bothering to sing a song is just petulant. 

Ronan Tynan is one of the Irish Tenors, or formerly was. I saw them twice at MSG, once days after John Kennedy, Jr died. When Irish Eyes Are Smiling was dedicated to him and was a tear jerker. They are amazing. He is amazing. He was at the residence when 41 died; he was singing Silent Night & Gaelic songs. Random fact - he lost both legs at a young age and has BK prosthetic legs.

I'm 3/4 Irish and my grandparents and mom's siblings were born in Ireland and i was married to a man with a BK prosthetic leg so they are two things that endear Tynan to me. Besides his unbelievable voice. 
    my2hands said:
    Is this shit over yet? 
    If you mean has the President been laid to rest. yes,  A train carried him from Houston after the private funeral this morning to College Station TX where his teaching library is and also where the grave site where his wife and young daughter are buried. He now is buried there with them. 

Have you ever lost anyone? I can understand if you don't care about this particular President but to call it shit is rather cold. 

I know, you're just kidding. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    George HW Bush's service dog Sully pays touching last tribute

I kind of hate to burst the bubble, but apparently Sully was with Bush for less than six months. He was a trained service dog who assisted with tasks like opening the door and fetching objects. This is a great photo into which people read far more than is there. 
    How does this burst a bubble? I'm sure this dog understood that his charge was dead and is sad about it (no, I'm not anthropomorphizing. Dogs do indeed become attached to their owners and miss them - we all know that). 6 months is long enough for a dog and person to become attached IMO. I'm not reading any more into it than what it is: sad.
    maybe not you, but tonnes of people are looking at this picture and seeing it as the dog in mourning over his master's casket, which, honestly, is ludicrous. obviously the dog CAN mourn if they see their master dead, but not a chance this dog understands who/what is behind him. 
    I disagree. I think the dog probably does know who is in that box and that he's dead. Dogs totally know when someone or something is dead, and he would definitely be able to smell who it is in the casket. I'm not saying that the dog is lying there crying inside over it of course. Mostly the photo is symbolic and that is what I think stirs some people's emotions ... I don't understand why anyone felt the need to kind of shit on that, but okay, lol.
    So you acknowledge the pic is largely symbolic, which is basically what often and I are saying, but your next statement is claiming that stating that is "shitting on it". 

was it "shitting on that" when you stated people who like pointless platitude pictures in their house as lacking something in their lives? I don't see this as any different. it's not shitting on anything. it's just having an opinion. 

if the dog knew his master was in that casket, and was dead, I'd imagine his training would require him to get help. he's lying there sleeping. unless dogs are trained to give up getting help if they know their master is dead. LOL
    I'd have to check the scientific literature, but if a dog can alert a diabetic that her sugar is low, I'd put my money on the dog knowing his charge is dead. I don't think dogs are trained to call 911, though.

It's sad -- the situation, maybe or maybe not the dog. 
    I'd also put my money on the dog knowing his charge is dead. that's not what i was saying. I don't think the dog would be able to tell that his fermaldehyde-filled charge is in a pine box behind him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD