Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    I find many people so fake and fickle that it bugs me that I'll have to put up with my future girlfriend's family and friends.

Maybe this is the wrong advice but there is nothing wrong with being single.  Not everyone is built for relationships.  It doesn’t mean you won’t at times feel like you are missing out but I think there is a spectrum for relationships.  On the far right are the people who can’t be alone for thirty seconds and then on the far left are the people who want to be alone all but thirty seconds of the day.  Everyone else is in between.  The way you talk you sound like you are well left of middle so why not just embrace it and move on?  

Maybe this advice is taking the easy way out and the less risky route, but hundreds of millions of single people are walking the earth right now so it is realistic advice.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes
    I find many people so fake and fickle that it bugs me that I'll have to put up with my future girlfriend's family and friends.

Maybe this is the wrong advice but there is nothing wrong with being single.  Not everyone is built for relationships.  It doesn’t mean you won’t at times feel like you are missing out but I think there is a spectrum for relationships.  On the far right are the people who can’t be alone for thirty seconds and then on the far left are the people who want to be alone all but thirty seconds of the day.  Everyone else is in between.  The way you talk you sound like you are well left of middle so why not just embrace it and move on?  

Maybe this advice is taking the easy way out and the less risky route, but hundreds of millions of single people are walking the earth right now so it is realistic advice.
    Thanks.
    I always think that maybe I was not made for relationships, maybe that it's my destiny.
    Yes, I do feel like I miss out. Recently found out an old friend from school is a new dad and my best friend is going to be a dad early next year. Plus other people I used to be friends with are all married with kids now. Then there's not getting sex...
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Yes
    Forgot to add,
    When my mum mentions my future children I tell her that it won't happen and she gets all sad and scared. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Yes
    Forgot to add,
    When my mum mentions my future children I tell her that it won't happen and she gets all sad and scared. 

Having children just because your mother wants grandchildren is one of the worst reasons to have children. They aren't accessories. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yes
    Forgot to add,

Having children just because your mother wants grandchildren is one of the worst reasons to have children. They aren't accessories. 
    Oh no, I wouldn't have children to please her. I can't see myself as a father. It's just that she's heartbroken.
    Yes
    It's hard on my parents because in my culture the man has to have kids so that the family surname can live on.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Forgot to add,

Yep, my folks learned to stop bringing it up years ago. I got hounded all thru my 20s about “When are we getting grandkids?” It took a few hundred times of answering “From me, never.” before they finally got the picture.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    edited December 2018
    It's hard on my parents because in my culture the man has to have kids so that the family surname can live on.
    Haha. me and my siblings have both my moms and my dads surname.

My sister has skipped my dads surname and just kept my moms since middleschool. I think he's always been a bit bugged by that, because it's only our family who has that specific name. So her children are only named after my mom.

And now my brothers gave his newborn only my moms name too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Yes
    My mum assumes, as do others, that I am closeted gay because of my situation.
  • No
    For the single people...Do any of you plan on staying single by choice?  My Dad had 2 cousins who choose to be single.  One did eventually marry, in his 70's, he died about 2 years later...  
    I crave love. But then I feel like I don't want a relationship. I'd like companionship but not the arguments, having to fit in with her family and social group who I may not like etc.
    THAT'S WHAT I WANT TOO!! Let's have an unofficial non-commitment ceremony and celebrate with all the cheesiest Queen songs!!

https://youtu.be/YehLQEp_88I
    Let's
    Don't act too excited. God damn. Should've been Queen of the Headlights while I had the chance.
  • For the single people...Do any of you plan on staying single by choice?  My Dad had 2 cousins who choose to be single.  One did eventually marry, in his 70's, he died about 2 years later...  
    I crave love. But then I feel like I don't want a relationship. I'd like companionship but not the arguments, having to fit in with her family and social group who I may not like etc.
    THAT'S WHAT I WANT TOO!! Let's have an unofficial non-commitment ceremony and celebrate with all the cheesiest Queen songs!!

https://youtu.be/YehLQEp_88I
    Let's
    Don't act too excited. God damn. Should've been Queen of the Headlights while I had the chance.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    You should bring home a friend they've never met and introduce him as your boyfriend...might as well have a little fun with their fears...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Went to the pharmacy and ran into a new employee from the HR department. She stopped me and we talked a while about my surgery and about how I was feeling. 

One - kind of weird talking to people from work outside of the office. Sort of. A bit.

Two - Maybe I should ask her out. BEING ON THE ROLL THAT I AM!
    Theres only one thing to do..Start a new thread titled.."Should I ask out new employee from HR?"

"Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • My mum assumes, as do others, that I am closeted gay because of my situation.
    You should bring home a friend they've never met and introduce him as your boyfriend...might as well have a little fun with their fears...
    Who said anything about fears?
  • No
    Wma31394 said:
    Went to the pharmacy and ran into a new employee from the HR department. She stopped me and we talked a while about my surgery and about how I was feeling. 

One - kind of weird talking to people from work outside of the office. Sort of. A bit.

Theres only one thing to do..Start a new thread titled.."Should I ask out new employee from HR?"

Nope, I think the next thread should be a matchmakers thread(thanks for the idea, dankind). A thread in which we nominate people to be the next PJ board couple IRL. I nominate njnancy and meltdown. They are both mature people who have learned a lot about the ups and downs of love. I think they would treat each other well.
  • No
    I also nominate Spiritual to start the thread, because he is the master of hit threads!
  • No
    And people aren't allowed to say,"But I'm not looking." If anything, you just say "thank you for the nomination, how awesome."
    I respectfully request that my name be withdrawn from this matchmaker pool.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • No
    :rofl:
    You guys crack me up. 
  • No
    Fine then, I'll just nominate people whenever the hell I feel like it.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    Wma31394 said:

Nope, I think the next thread should be a matchmakers thread(thanks for the idea, dankind). A thread in which we nominate people to be the next PJ board couple IRL. I nominate njnancy and meltdown. They are both mature people who have learned a lot about the ups and downs of love. I think they would treat each other well.
    "the ups and downs of love," eh? :grin:

See the source image
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Yes
    Say no more. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dankind said:

Fine.  Then I'll nominate you as tribute. :joker:
    Yes
    dankind said:

Fine.  Then I'll nominate you as tribute. :joker:
    You and @PJ_Soul are the OGs; you can't withdraw. 

And I'm a happily married man, but I'm flattered, buddy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,381
    Did somebody say "tribute"?

See the source image
    Yes
    Hobbes said:
    Did somebody say "tribute"?

See the source image

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    Who said anything about fears?
    Your smart dude figure it out...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • No
    Hobbes said:
    Wma31394 said:

"the ups and downs of love," eh? :grin:

See the source image
    Funny funny guy. Writing Hobbes name down on the nomination list. With :star::star::star: