George H.W. Bush, the 41st U.S. president and father of the 43rd, has died at age 94

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Strange- I wasn't a fan but this feels heavy.  He had more class than a certain president I'm thinking of (you-know-who), that's for damn sure.  R.I.P Mr. President.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2018
    W must be devastated. You can tell everything he does has been for his dad "41".

I mean, he even went all war criminal and invaded a country just to make his dad proud of him.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Strange- I wasn't a fan but this feels heavy.  He had more class than a certain president I'm thinking of (you-know-who), that's for damn sure.  R.I.P Mr. President.

brianlux said:
    Brian, He always seemed willing to serve his country in any capacity that he was asked.  He flew 58 mission in WW2, guess that makes him a war hero.   I thought it was great that he and Clinton worked together to raise money for the tsunami victims.  RIP...
    Give Peas A Chance…

This the note he left for Bill Clinton.  

Dear Bill,

When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good luck—

George

Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Will this make it 3for3 for non invites for Baffoon for funerals lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Did they already tell him to stay away?   Being told not to go too funeral because your wanted is sad...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Sad. Like all politicians and people there is good and bad. But he conducted himself well and I did not fully appreciate his lack of “group think” at the time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    As much as I disliked him sometimes as president, he was a better leader and person than our last 2 Republican representatives in the WH combined. I still remember studying the from "George to George" presidential history to celebrate 200 years in my 7th grade social studies class.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This quote from NYT sums it up for me well:

"President George H.W. Bush leaves a complicated legacy. He served his country ably
    and well in World War II, as diplomat, as a spy chief, as a vice president and as
    president. His caution in the turbulent final days of the Cold War and the fall of
    the Berlin Wall was what the world needed from the leader of the West. He assembled
    a coalition of dozens of countries to stand with us against Saddam Hussein, and
    avoided his son's subsequent mistake of getting us bogged down in endless Middle
    Eastern wars. But he also embraced voodoo economics once he joined the ticket with
    Reagan; was part of the administration during Iran-Contra; and gave us Dan Quayle,
    Lee Atwater, Willie Horton, the invasion of Panama, the indifference to Saddam's
    pre-invasion actions that led Saddam to think he could get away with taking Kuwait,
    etc.

But, recalling - and reflecting on - his one term in office, I can't help but wish
    we had more presidents and leaders like him, flaws and all. Certainly the man
    disgracing the White House today makes one yearn for the days of poppa Bush and his
    even-keeled leadership. Rest in peace, Mr. President."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/us/politics/george-hw-bush-dies.html

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Did they already tell him to stay away?   Being told not to go too funeral because your wanted is sad...
    No I’m not sure I’m just trying to be sarcastic lol But the family did invite Baffoon & 1st lady 

No I’m not sure I’m just trying to be sarcastic lol But the family did invite Baffoon & 1st lady 
    OK.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I always liked him. Very underrated president. History has, and will continue, to be kinder to him than voters were in '92.

Grace, civility and humility. It's amazing that we took those characteristics of presidents for granted not too long ago. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Unlike the current POTUS, Bush put off college to serve in WW2.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I had dinner with Marilyn Quayle as part of a fund raiser for GHW Bush's re-election in 1991-ish time frame.
     Asked her zero questions about her husband and a bunch about the President.  Was always interested in what he must have had for information after holding the many positions he did.

Seems like a lifetime ago.  Also, reminds me of when I identified as a Republican and not Anti-Trump.
    RIP to an incredible man.  What a life he lived!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited December 2018
    I always liked him. Very underrated president. History has, and will continue, to be kinder to him than voters were in '92.

Grace, civility and humility. It's amazing that we took those characteristics of presidents for granted not too long ago. 
    Nicely stated. 

I'm surprised that he lasted 7 months without Barbara. I'm actually surprised that she predeceased him. 73 years together is just one amazing aspect to his biography. 

My political differences with him have been trivialized over the years as he has grown to be a beloved elder statesman. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I really love his letter to Bill Clinton, so gracious.

"Jan 20, 1993

Dear Bill,

When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I'm not a very good one to give advice; but just don't let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country's success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good luck — George"

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

And of people too.

Well-said, Juggler.

• I don't get it..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I don't get it..?
    I will give you my interpretation (does not mean I'm correct) ... The plane represents George piloting himself to the afterlife, to be met by his wife Barbara and his young child who died of leukemia...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I don't get it..?
    I will give you my interpretation (does not mean I'm correct) ... The plane represents George piloting himself to the afterlife, to be met by his wife Barbara and his young child who died of leukemia...
    That is what I take from it.

• I don't get it..?
    Ah, okey thanks. Did not know about the child. But thought it could be something like that.

Maybe Melania will wear the coat again to the funeral ⚰️ Grace , civility & humility have all been buried by this Vile human and his whole family including all the women who stand by him ..
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

I don't get it..?
    Ah, okey thanks. Did not know about the child. But thought it could be something like that.
    It's the reason Barbara never died her hair. Went white due to all the stress they endured with her dying so she never changed it as some kind of memorial to her daughter. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

• I don't get it..?
    It's the reason Barbara never died her hair. Went white due to all the stress they endured with her dying so she never changed it as some kind of memorial to her daughter. 
    Like Nancy in A Nightmare on Elm Street?
    George HW Bush's service dog Sully pays touching last tribute

Give Peas A Chance…