Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Alberta declares beer trade war on Ontario.

edit: personal commentary aside.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-declares-beer-trade-war-with-ontario/ar-BBQ7xMq?ocid=spartanntp
    Very interesting. Is there any beer worth drinking from Alberta?
    Probably? Not good enough for people to give a shit, lol. There is tons of good liquor all across the country.
    Alberta seems to have developed some kind of superiority complex, where they basically try to demand that the rest of the country appreciate them and their resources. Whether or not anyone wants to is apparently irrelevant, lol, plus they are completely unwilling to adjust their economy. They want everyone else to just stop evolving so that they don't have to change anything. It's ludicrous. Notley keeps treating other provinces like the enemy out to get Alberta or something. It's weird. I think she is rather emotionally immature TBH.
    As an Ontarian, from what I understand she is upset that the LCBO doesn't stock more beer from Alberta.  My opinion, as long as the LCBO revenue provided money to the government coffers I am fine with them favouring Ontario breweries, wineries and liquor.  Because those businesses provide jobs and revenue to the Ontario economy.  On a day like this when Ontario was dealt a huge blow with GM's announcement that they were closing Oshawa assembly after being in the city for 100 years, that selfish bitch has to be the dumbest fucking politician in Canada to pick a fight with Ontario over booze...clueless twit.
    Yeah, she is a ridiculous selfish fool for sure. Did you know she also tried out a booze war with BC? She attempted to take all BC wines off Albertan shelves to punish BC for not wanting a pipeline to run straight through the heart of metro Vancouver. It really didn't work. Nobody gave a shit, lol. People in BC simply decided to start buying more BC wines themselves. If anything, it helped the BC wine industry, haha.
    Yes, I know she wanted a booze war with BC, wasn't she threatening to turn the oil and gas off as well?  The pipeline through BC from what I can see is a bad idea before it gets to Vancouver the pipeline has to go through the mountains, am I correct?  Notley just seems immature.  She thinks Alberta is the only province struggling.  Most of the east coast provinces struggle, Ontario has struggled with the loss of thousands and thousands of jobs that paid $22/hour and up with pensions to be replaced with McJobs...
    Yeah, not only does she think Alberta is the only one struggling, but she also seems to be refusing to confront the issue of a changing energy sector. Alberta is fucked if it continues to refuse to evolve in this sense. They are in total denial so far.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm going to keep out of all the ignorance being spouted here. I like my posting privileges. ;)
    edited November 2018
    dignin said:
    I'm going to keep out of all the ignorance being spouted here. I like my posting privileges. ;)
    You could just not be a jerk to us, and say what you have to say without getting banned. :confused: I assume you want to defend Notley? Good luck. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignin said:
    I think you stated what you wanted to state with this post.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    dignin said:
    You send my ipa out yet?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    You send my ipa out yet?
    Nope.

I'm boycotting Alberta craft beer lol.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    dignin said:
    I have not seen a more childish premier.  I get it, Alberta's pissed that they can't get the oil to tidewater.  Maybe you can answer this?  What the fuck did Harper do for 10 years?  Wasn't he a friend of Alberta?  How come he did not get the pipeline built.  The pipeline that should be finished is Energy East, then we can tell Saudi Arabia to take their blood oil and shove up their ass's.  Personally, if BC is that opposed then Alberta and The Feds need to figure out a better way.  But she can not continually pick unnecessary fights with BC and Ontario or any other premier.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited November 2018
    invest in renewable energy and stop this fossil fuel pissing contest. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

How's Tesla doing with their electric cars?  It's far easier to say than do, GM just axed the Volt.  The did not axe the volt because it was a money maker...

They are closing a plant already tooled for electric vehicle production.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    How's Tesla doing with their electric cars?  It's far easier to say than do, GM just axed the Volt.  The did not axe the volt because it was a money maker...

going against big oil is a massive undertaking. changing global culture on this scale will take decades, unfortunately. people need to be motivated to buy electric, because it's costs more and is less convenient. what is the motivation? most people are selfish assholes who don't give a shit about the next generation and/or have convinced themselves it's not as dire as SCIENCE is saying. they think if they are the only ones on the block doing it, it won't make a difference so why bother. 

there's too much money and power in oil, obviously, so not enough politicians who matter are getting behind renewables. there will outrage from the oil and auto sector because of all the jobs that will be lost. those politicians will be voted out because of short term economics. but we need to move forward. if we don't, we're fucking dead. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• How's Tesla doing with their electric cars?  It's far easier to say than do, GM just axed the Volt.  The did not axe the volt because it was a money maker...

going against big oil is a massive undertaking. changing global culture on this scale will take decades, unfortunately. people need to be motivated to buy electric, because it's costs more and is less convenient. what is the motivation? most people are selfish assholes who don't give a shit about the next generation and/or have convinced themselves it's not as dire as SCIENCE is saying. they think if they are the only ones on the block doing it, it won't make a difference so why bother. 

there's too much money and power in oil, obviously, so not enough politicians who matter are getting behind renewables. there will outrage from the oil and auto sector because of all the jobs that will be lost. those politicians will be voted out because of short term economics. but we need to move forward. if we don't, we're fucking dead. 

Your last statement is 100% correct and irrefutable (even though Donald feebly tries (spouting his nonsense while his moronic lemmings eagerly nod along and agree with it).

But we'll exhaust this globe's oil supply before we ever abandon the resource to save ourselves. We're doomed my friend. Enjoy the ride.
    Tesla has been around for 15 years.  They still don't make money, why?  If people can not afford electric vehicles they will never sell, oh and most of the world citizens are actually poor.  These people are not selfish, that is called living within your means.  How do you heat your home?  If you use gas, why do you not get it disconnected and get hydro heat installed?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Tesla has been around for 15 years.  They still don't make money, why?  If people can not afford electric vehicles they will never sell, oh and most of the world citizens are actually poor.  These people are not selfish, that is called living within your means.  How do you heat your home?  If you use gas, why do you not get it disconnected and get hydro heat installed?
    this is what I mean. unfortunately the government is going to have to intervene to nudge newer industries into the mainstream so they are affordable. 

I posted this a few days ago, but I'll do it again:

they aren't affordable because they are not currently mass produced. 
    they aren't mass produced yet because the demand is not yet there
    the demand is not yet there because they aren't affordable
    go back to the top, rinse, repeat. 

the only reason the auto industry got to where it is today without government assistance is because cars were vastly superior to horse and buggies. electric cars, to my knowledge, are not vastly superior in noticeable performance (and possibly inferior in the "vroom vroom" category), just in responsibility. 

I'm not talking about poor people. I'm talking about people who buy a monster truck for $70K because they "require" that type of power and towing/storage capacity. that is largely a north american phenomenon. go anywhere else in the world and you fit a family of 4 in a fucking clown car. in canada and the US, one person owns a 3 mile per gallon tank. it's ludicrous. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2018
    There are people with electric cars, and more all the time. I don't really get why you guys are talking as though that is going nowhere. Yes, of course, it's a slowly moving train. But it is moving. And just as soon as other nations REALLY pick up the market and get innovative, as Korea and China and some European countries are just starting to, we will see that change speed up considerably. I think we can count on that happening - on North America, the most car-obsessed part of the world by far, really starting a sea-change - within the next 20 years. Right now we're just seeing the beginning. Patience people.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Alberta will buy rail cars to move 120,000 barrels a day of stuck crude, Notley sayshttps://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/update-1-canadas-alberta-to-buy-rail-cars-expects-deal-within-weeks?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0EKMEpOOVm81Q6WnCKLlPiKpogK5wQaINM87QEH9Yyc97MLZ_07S0bu7Q#Echobox=1543428085

LOL.  The feds own a pipeline that they bought, now Alberta is buying rail cars...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    There are people with electric cars, and more all the time. I don't really get why you guys are talking as though that is going nowhere. Yes, of course, it's a slowly moving train. But it is moving. And just as soon as other nations REALLY pick up the market and get innovative, as Korea and China and some European countries are just starting to, we will see that change speed up considerably. I think we can count on that happening - on North America, the most car-obsessed part of the world by far, really starting a sea-change - within the next 20 years. Right now we're just seeing the beginning. Patience people.
    it's been moving at a snail's pace. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Yes. But it's still going to happen. For sure, without a doubt, and it will pick up quickly. The technology needed for it to is just now starting to make it truly viable.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes. But it's still going to happen. For sure, without a doubt, and it will pick up quickly. The technology needed for it to is just now starting to make it truly viable.
    of course it's still going to happen, but I don't think it's going to be the norm soon enough. I mean, with the dire predictions by the UN on climate change, making gasoline cars illegal by 2050 could be too late. people are buying new gasoline cars all the time, and that's not going to slow down without regulation and/or deincentivization. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    of course it's still going to happen, but I don't think it's going to be the norm soon enough. I mean, with the dire predictions by the UN on climate change, making gasoline cars illegal by 2050 could be too late. people are buying new gasoline cars all the time, and that's not going to slow down without regulation and/or deincentivization. 
    Oh, I already think it's too late, lol. I think people should just stop having kids, because if they do, they'll just be subjecting them to a failing world. But I do think that electric cars will be very common long before 2050.
    They just had an auto analyst and she stated that it is trucks and SUV's that are selling and that they are the profit makers...not cars.  People who buy trucks and SUV's are not going to buy electric cars...where I live truck's and SUV's occupying people's driveways is increasing not decreasing...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    They just had an auto analyst and she stated that it is trucks and SUV's that are selling and that they are the profit makers...not cars.  People who buy trucks and SUV's are not going to buy electric cars...where I live truck's and SUV's occupying people's driveways is increasing not decreasing...
    I agree. if the amount of truck vs car commercials are any indication, it's not even close. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2018
    They are going to buy them just as soon as the technology is there to make them powerful enough, and that isn't going to take all that long. Dude, your mind seems to be stuck in the present. (FYI, when I say "electric cars" I mean "electric vehicles"... and when I say "electric vehicles" I actually mean vehicles that don't need gas, lol. I'm also excited about fuel cell technology!)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Ballot returns have improved in the last two weeks, but still below 40% at this point, though that number doesn't include ballots received by Canada Post and not yet turned over.

I'm curious to see the vote breakdown. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/voter-turnout-surges-in-b-c-referendum-with-island-leading-the-way-1.23515916
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Ballot returns have improved in the last two weeks, but still below 40% at this point, though that number doesn't include ballots received by Canada Post and not yet turned over.

I'm curious to see the vote breakdown. 

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/voter-turnout-surges-in-b-c-referendum-with-island-leading-the-way-1.23515916
    Pathetic. The general populace never disappoints when it comes to being disappointing, lol.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    David St. Jacques in orbit, joining to crew at the ISS

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canada-saint-jacques-launch-soyuz-1.4929760
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    David St. Jacques in orbit, joining to crew at the ISS

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canada-saint-jacques-launch-soyuz-1.4929760
    Awesome.
    I love all things related to space exploration/space science so much, and am always glad when Canada is involved in it.
    When do? the results of your electoral reform come out?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Well all ballots must be in by Dec 7th. I'm not really sure how long it's supposed to take to count them.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited December 2018
    I feel like fucking with some Canadians  :)
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well all ballots must be in by Dec 7th. I'm not really sure how long it's supposed to take to count them.
    Keep us posted.  I'm curious as to the results.  Does the yes side figure they will win?
    Give Peas A Chance…