The Death Penalty

Comments

• So I watched 22 July on Netflix last night after stumbling upon it.

And was reminded how appropriate the DP is in certain situations. In the case of Anders, what is often not mentioned aside from the 77 killed that day, are the 100+ wounded and all the ER/medical people traumatized by the event.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain.
    Have you watched the Norwegian film?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

And was reminded how appropriate the DP is in certain situations. In the case of Anders, what is often not mentioned aside from the 77 killed that day, are the 100+ wounded and all the ER/medical people traumatized by the event.

Never even knew it existed. How is it?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_Soul said:
    So I watched 22 July on Netflix last night after stumbling upon it.

The Norwegians are too enlightened for that shit.

Lol. Yah. Real enlightened.

I love how enlightened they are when they are basking in the blood of whales as they hack them to death.

The whale hunts are far more grotesque and inhumane than the clinical executions of serial murderers. It's not even close so... I guess I'm saying you are dead wrong.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:

I love how enlightened they are when they are basking in the blood of whales as they hack them to death.

The whale hunts are far more grotesque and inhumane than the clinical executions of serial murderers. It's not even close so... I guess I'm saying you are dead wrong.
    Why clinical execution?  A noose would do just fine...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm strongly against whale hunting of course, but I'm also strongly against governments doling out revenge. If this makes you feel better... The Norwegians are too enlightened when it comes to the moral and judicial absurdity of the death penalty. Which I know you knew is what I was talking about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm strongly against whale hunting of course, but I'm also strongly against governments doling out revenge. If this makes you feel better... The Norwegians are too enlightened when it comes to the moral and judicial absurdity of the death penalty. Which I know you knew is what I was talking about.
    So they're pretty sweet in some areas, but not so much in others. Got it!

The death penalty is far from absurd. Wanna know something that's absurd though? What's absurd is the situation where we have a guy who killed 77 people, injured over 100 more, and traumatized a nation going on a hunger strike because his video game selection sucks... and earning university degrees on the public dime. That is absurd.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The death penalty is far from absurd. Wanna know something that's absurd though? What's absurd is the situation where we have a guy who killed 77 people, injured over 100 more, and traumatized a nation going on a hunger strike because his video game selection sucks... and earning university degrees on the public dime. That is absurd.
    Um, yeah, obviously ... just like every nation on the face of the planet I would say.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Um, yeah, obviously ... just like every nation on the face of the planet I would say.
    Then we shouldn't place them above anyone else so quickly.

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

TheY are prettY decent¨in most places You can place them. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Never even knew it existed. How is it?
    Haven't dared to see it. But it follows the events in real time from one girls perspective.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Quickly? You know I'm rabidly anti-DP, and Norway is relatively enlightened in terms of criminal justice in my opinion (compared to your views about it, certainly), so why wouldn't I be quick to place their system above your perspective, with which I so strongly disagree?
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Quickly? You know I'm rabidly anti-DP, and Norway is relatively enlightened in terms of criminal justice in my opinion (compared to your views about it, certainly), so why wouldn't I be quick to place their system above your perspective, with which I so strongly disagree?
    Because

W
    H
    A
    L
    E
    S

(as in, the search for something, whatever, to discredit a countrY that has been sane enough to move past the DP)
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Because

W
    H
    A
    L
    E
    S

(as in, the search for something, whatever, to discredit a countrY that has been sane enough to move past the DP)
    Don't forget wolves too. Who's numbers- in the event you didn't know- are in a perilous state.

I like how neither of you commented on the absurdity of Brievik's 'prison' conditions lol.

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Because

W
    H
    A
    L
    E
    S

Don't forget wolves too. Who's numbers- in the event you didn't know- are in a perilous state.

I like how neither of you commented on the absurdity of Brievik's 'prison' conditions lol.

I couldn't care less what his prison conditions are. All I care about is that society is safe from harm. That is any criminal justice system's one and only job.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Because

W
    H
    A
    L
    E
    S

I have. You have brought up that before.

This is like that dream Alice and Dan have in A Nightmare on Elm Street part 4: The Dream Master where FreddY makes them go in circles so theY can't help their friend who is turning into a cockroach. 

Paul Bernardo set for parole bid after 25 years in prison

https://globalnews.ca/news/4557154/paul-bernardo-parole-bid/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto

This asshole scumbag should have been hanging at the end of a noose 20 years ago, instead, this scumbag gets a parole hearing so he can re-traumatize his victim's families all over again...

Oh yeah, Gooddale is tabling legislation to ban solitary confinement in Canada's prisons.  Next week he will introduce legislation to make sure the prison scum are served, gourmet meals...and the super bowl will be catered at all federal prisons by buffalo wild wings complete with an 80" TV ... wouldn't want low life scum to be uncomfortable. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I would support sentences of life in prison without parole in Canada.
    I also agree with a ban on solitary confinement, at least for anyone who doesn't have a sentence of life without parole (so that would be everyone in Canadian prisons).
  • "Come now, Anders. Eat your pizza and we'll buy you the new Call of Duty. Okay? And can you please think about going for a canoe ride?"

"Now excuse me. I must go and slaughter the whales we have trapped in the cove."

Impressive enlightenment. I feel so inadequate.
    edited October 2018
    "Come now, Anders. Eat your pizza and we'll buy you the new Call of Duty. Okay? And can you please think about going for a canoe ride?"

"Now excuse me. I must go and slaughter the whales we have trapped in the cove."

Holistic view You're able to have there.

Do You know anYthing about the Norweigan sYstem other than this Anders-hang up of Yours?
  • "Come now, Anders. Eat your pizza and we'll buy you the new Call of Duty. Okay? And can you please think about going for a canoe ride?"

Holistic view You're able to have there.

Do You know anYthing about the Norweigan sYstem other than this Anders-hang up of Yours?
    I feel like we're going in circles here. Some people- gnawing on their beets- haven't been paying attention.

I've spoken to the open prison system multiple times in this thread. I am not necessarily opposed to such a system. I'm opposed to who me might grant such an investment in. A worm like Brievik deserves nothing.
  •  A worm like Brievik deserves nothing.
    I agree.
    edited October 2018
     A worm like Brievik deserves nothing.
    I agree.
    I do too. I just don't think it's a relevant point in terms of the criminal justice system.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    I agree.
    I do too. I just don't think it's a relevant point in terms of the criminal justice system.
    It's completely relevant. What are you talking about?

It just happens to be inconvenient to your position.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree.

What? No it's not. What are you talking about? It's not relevant IMO because it is not the criminal justice system's job to be vengeful. I'm sure that by now you understand my perspective on that. I don't even understand why you think it's inconvenient to my position. It's not at all.
    edited October 2018
    I feel like we're going in circles here. 

Alice Johnson: [after going through the loop twice already] He's going after Debbie! I've got to stop him! 

Dan Jordan: You know, I get the weirdest feeling we've done this before.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree.

What? No it's not. What are you talking about? It's not relevant IMO because it is not the criminal justice system's job to be vengeful. I'm sure that by now you understand my perspective on that. I don't even understand why you think it's inconvenient to my position. It's not at all.
    You're calling it ' being vengeful'. Others call it 'administering justice' which is most certainly the criminal justice system's job.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Paul Bernardo set for parole bid after 25 years in prison

https://globalnews.ca/news/4557154/paul-bernardo-parole-bid/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto

This asshole scumbag should have been hanging at the end of a noose 20 years ago, instead, this scumbag gets a parole hearing so he can re-traumatize his victim's families all over again...

Oh yeah, Gooddale is tabling legislation to ban solitary confinement in Canada's prisons.  Next week he will introduce legislation to make sure the prison scum are served, gourmet meals...and the super bowl will be catered at all federal prisons by buffalo wild wings complete with an 80" TV ... wouldn't want low life scum to be uncomfortable. 
    It’s entirely appropriate to move toward ending solitary confinement. The way it is currently used is probably for much different reasons than how you imagine it is used. For instance, solitary confinement of prisoners because they are dangerous to others is in the minority. Much more often is use of solitary because an inmate’s mental health issues present dangers to  themself that the corrections staff are poorly equipped to deal with, so they react by putting them into solitary confinement, or worse yet, into restraints, shackling them to a bed or board, with even their head held down. Not a very therapeutic situation for a suicidal inmate. Other are in solitary because they are at risk for other reasons - like other inmates have threatened them. It’s npt great to further lose your liberty because correctional staff can’t prevent one inmate from shanking another. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree.

You're calling it ' being vengeful'. Others call it 'administering justice' which is most certainly the criminal justice system's job.
    There is no nation in the developed world where "administering justice" equates to providing nothing to inmates in the name of vengeance.
    Also, the PURPOSE of "administering justice" isn't what you seem to think it is. You seem to think that the justice system hands out justice in the biblical sense, which isn't the case. The administration of justice has one goal: to protect society via either isolation from society and/or deterrence to one degree or another (remembering that most criminals are released back into society eventually). Of course, it's been pretty well-established that the death penalty doesn't serve as a deterrence for the kinds of criminals who commit crimes DP supporters normally consider DP worthy.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Maybe when they end solitary confinement, the correctional staff can give the inmates foot massages at the end of the day...or some of you soft on murders could volunteer to give them foot massages...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree.

There is no nation in the developed world where "administering justice" equates to providing nothing to inmates in the name of vengeance.
    Also, the PURPOSE of "administering justice" isn't what you seem to think it is. You seem to think that the justice system hands out justice in the biblical sense, which isn't the case. The administration of justice has one goal: to protect society via either isolation from society and/or deterrence to one degree or another (remembering that most criminals are released back into society eventually). Of course, it's been pretty well-established that the death penalty doesn't serve as a deterrence for the kinds of criminals who commit crimes DP supporters normally consider DP worthy.

I'm not the one confused here. You are. Big time. 

In particular, you don't seem to understand what the term 'justice' actually means. Administering justice is not keeping the rest of society safe from future harm- it's administering justice (from MW: the process or result of using laws to fairly judge and punish crimes and criminals).

Further, you are purposely being obtuse by bringing up the 'deterrent argument' which has been established as moot for either side. It cannot be established one way or another whether it actually is a deterrent or not given its infrequent application. And I'm not arguing this aspect again with you. If you bring it up again in childlike fashion... then we're done discussing this topic. We can talk about cats or pizza.

Lastly... exactly what are you talking about when you say: There is no nation in the developed world where "administering justice" equates to providing nothing to inmates in the name of vengeance. Huh? Norway is far from providing nothing to poor poor Anders and his crappy selection of video games and slow wifi.