The Death Penalty

Comments

• This moron can go and I'd be okay with it (another child killer who taunted the public afterwards with what would have been chilling notes if they didn't appear to be constructed by a four year old... f**king idiot):

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/after-30-years-police-say-they’ve-captured-a-child-killer-who-left-a-sickening-trail-of-taunts/ar-AAA9zDr?ocid=spartanntp
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • This guy is urging Texas to expedite the process so that he can be executed soon.

I guess the guilt of raping and murdering his 3 month old son is too much to bear (an argument for or against the DP depending on which way you look at it).

Either way...Texas... grant him his wish- he's wasting good oxygen. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/texas-man-who-murdered-his-infant-son-wants-to-fast-track-his-execution/ar-BBLbm43?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    If you're right about the guilt part, it seems that letting him live a long life in prison would be more suitable if it's actual punishment one is looking for (which I know you thought of with your comment about this being an argument for or against the DP). While it is not actually a factor at all in me being anti-DP, I do still think that life in maximum security prison is a harsher punishment than a nice, cushy murder by the government.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    This guy is urging Texas to expedite the process so that he can be executed soon.

I guess the guilt of raping and murdering his 3 month old son is too much to bear (an argument for or against the DP depending on which way you look at it).

Either way...Texas... grant him his wish- he's wasting good oxygen. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/texas-man-who-murdered-his-infant-son-wants-to-fast-track-his-execution/ar-BBLbm43?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
    Then honour his wishes quickly ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    What western democracies have the death penalty?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2018
    1. The United State of America

End of list.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • What western democracies have the death penalty?

Before turning your nose up at the US... look at some European countries that try to place themselves above the US for not executing some people.

For example, Norway had Breivik kill 77 people (mostly kids). They sentenced him to their lavish open prison system which some people that think they are very enlightened feel is very awesome (recreation, video games, state funded degrees, internet privileges, nice meals, etc. for mass murderers). Remember when Anders got mad and went on a hunger strike because the video games he got weren't cool enough?

Yet, Norway thinks nothing of slaughtering whales for domestic purposes and trade. Norway also actively culls wolves who's population is dangerously close to disappearing from their land.

Soooo... yah.

Norwegians think they really have things figured out with regards to how the state should humanely treat brutal savages who have murdered 77 of their children... and will look down on the US for executing losers that have raped and killed infants... yet they think slaughtering whales and killing wolves that have done nothing other than try to co-exist is reasonable.  

In my opinion and contrary to yours... they're ass backwards.
    Who really cares if a  bunch of low life killers bite the dust early.  The earth is already over-populated.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Who really cares if a  bunch of low life killers bite the dust early.  The earth is already over-populated.  
    That has absolutely nothing to do with it for most of those who oppose the DP.
  • The state can't even definitively prove the mechanism of death resulting from a lover's quarrel and they are going to execute this guy:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/2nd-texas-inmate-set-for-execution-this-week-wants-it-halted/ar-AAAHEmK?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

Even though I think the guy is guilty, I'm not down with the idea. I think it's excessive to say the least.

Before turning your nose up at the US... look at some European countries that try to place themselves above the US for not executing some people.

For example, Norway had Breivik kill 77 people (mostly kids). They sentenced him to their lavish open prison system which some people that think they are very enlightened feel is very awesome (recreation, video games, state funded degrees, internet privileges, nice meals, etc. for mass murderers). Remember when Anders got mad and went on a hunger strike because the video games he got weren't cool enough?

Yet, Norway thinks nothing of slaughtering whales for domestic purposes and trade. Norway also actively culls wolves who's population is dangerously close to disappearing from their land.

Soooo... yah.

Norwegians think they really have things figured out with regards to how the state should humanely treat brutal savages who have murdered 77 of their children... and will look down on the US for executing losers that have raped and killed infants... yet they think slaughtering whales and killing wolves that have done nothing other than try to co-exist is reasonable.  

You don't know my opinions.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Soooo... yah.

Seriously?

No offence, but you're very clear about your opinions on these forums lol. A guy doesn't need to be a genius to figure out where you're at.

Help me out regardless: given a choice... would you effectively abolish whale slaughters or the death penalty?
    Thirty is spot on.  That's a great question he posed.  The Norway government values serial murderers life more than whales and wolves. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited October 2018

Soooo... yah.

Seriously?

No offence, but you're very clear about your opinions on these forums lol. A guy doesn't need to be a genius to figure out where you're at.

Help me out regardless: given a choice... would you effectively abolish whale slaughters or the death penalty?
    But, opposing the death penalty =/= agree with a "lavish prison system" with Mario Kart tournaments? So why the binary and skewed argumentation?

And speaking in general - in what way has "the Scandinavian model" shown to be worse than the US? Longer sentences, and a shittier environment hasn't shown to be stopping crimes being made. But historically the idea over here has been to make convicts return to and work within the society again -- and let me guess that the US isn't better at that than us over here regarding people not going back into crime?

But again -- opposing the death penalty isn't the same as wanting to give Brejvik etc a slap on the wrist and the chance to pick Koopa Troopa first.

And you don't know my opinions about the criminal system. I'm all for stricter penalties and removing people who (consciously) cause harm from society. But I think that and the death penalty are two different things.

I mean, if only one western democracy sticks to the death penalty...

And that and the view of killing animals are also two different things. I don't think we should eat meat at all. And killing animals, weather you do it on a farm or in the sea in 2018 is sick to me. So I don't think Norway or anyone should slaughter whales.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I wish broccoli tasted like buffalo wings lol
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,662
    Hearing an argument about killing animals for no reason is a little bizarre coming from an American. Thirty bills I’m in no way suggesting you are such a guy but the proportion of absolute wankers ( otherwise known as game hunters) is overwhelming weighted on the USA side. 

• my2hands said:
    I wish broccoli tasted like buffalo wings lol
    And I guess...

..... no wait, I'll skip a Kavanaugh joke. 

(Broccoli tastes great though. And is good to eat as a vegetarian/vegan)
    pdalowsky said:
    Hearing an argument about killing animals for no reason is a little bizarre coming from an American. Thirty bills I’m in no way suggesting you are such a guy but the proportion of absolute wankers ( otherwise known as game hunters) is overwhelming weighted on the USA side. 

Thirty is Canadian...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • pdalowsky said:

I'm not defending American trophy hunters in the slightest- I despise them.

I'm only saying it's hypocritical at the very least to scoff at the Death Penalty when you eagerly participate in whale harvests. More succinctly, a country should not be admired for their open prison systems and its treatment of mass and serial murderers when at the same time they slaughter whales and kill wolves (who's population has been decimated and is in serious trouble).
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So now Americans are solely responsible for trophy hunting? Ok lol
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Not at all, and in no way did I say it is. But they are a MASSIVE part of the problem

A few snippets for you: - 

"The world’s largest trophy hunting advocacy organization is U.S.-based Safari Club International (SCI) which reportedly has 50,000 members"

"According to 2009 estimates, approximately 18,50013 trophy hunters visit Africa every year to kill approximately 105,000 animals.14 Of these, the overwhelming majority—nearly 15,000—are from the U.S. 15 "

"Our analysis revealed that in ten years between 2005 and 2014, U.S.-based hunters imported to the U.S. the following:  More than 1.26 million wildlife trophies, which is on average more than 126,000 trophies every year (see Appendix Table 1).  Trophies of more than 1,200 different kinds of animals, including nearly 32,500 trophies of the Africa Big Five species (including approximately 5,600 African lions, 4,600 African elephants, 4,500 African leopards, 330 southern white rhinos and 17,200 African buffalo (see Appendix Table 2"

edited October 2018
    my2hands said:
    He did not say that though...
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    pdalowsky said:

I'm only saying it's hypocritical at the very least to scoff at the Death Penalty when you eagerly participate in whale harvests. More succinctly, a country should not be admired for their open prison systems and its treatment of mass and serial murderers when at the same time they slaughter whales and kill wolves (who's population has been decimated and is in serious trouble).
    I figured as much and apologies dude I didnt realise you were Canadian. 

In view of that however is there not a huge issue in Canada around Seal clubbing/hunting? Polar bear Culls and trophy hunting also? Not to mention the killing of whales by indigenous people (accepted this is for food and resources), all of which is legal? and do I not understand correctly from this thread earlier that your jails are not particularly tough?
    This is an interesting snippet on Game hunting numbers in Canada (not that its particularly vital to the thread here): - 

As a neighboring country to the U.S. and home to many iconic North American species, Canada is an attractive destination for U.S. hunters seeking animals like grizzly bears, moose, elk and other species that feature prominently in SCI’s award contests. While most trophy hunting in Canada is of wild animals, Canada also offers “high fenced” hunting which is, as one reporter states: “when people pay thousands of dollars to shoot deer that have been farm-raised for large racks on property surrounded by a large fence ranges.”21 The animals have no chance of escape and are therefore a guaranteed kill. As in South Africa, this practice is very controversial for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that other wild animals lose access to the critical habitat on which fenced animals are kept. Depending on the length of the trip and other factors like whether the hunt is guided or not, a black bear hunt in Canada may cost USD$4,400-6,000 per person,22 a moose hunt may cost USD$5,600-8,900,23 an elk hunt may cost USD$5,400-5,90024 and killing a large whitetail deer in a hunt may cost USD$4,800- 5,800
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

In view of that however is there not a huge issue in Canada around Seal clubbing/hunting? Polar bear Culls and trophy hunting also? Not to mention the killing of whales by indigenous people (accepted this is for food and resources), all of which is legal? and do I not understand correctly from this thread earlier that your jails are not particularly tough?

In Canada, each province and territory set the rules regarding hunting and fishing.  I have never heard of a polar bear cull in Canada.  I know they have limited hunts and usually it the inuit who participate in this hunt.  First Nations and Inuit still club seals.  In Ontario, you can not specifically hunt just to have trophy animals.

I would say the vast majority of hunters in Canada are harvesting the animals to fill their freezers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

I'm opposed to our FN people whaling in the manner they do. They used to head out in kayaks and use hand made harpoons to 'hunt' for whales. Now they use sophisticated technology to tilt the scales heavily in their favour (hardly respecting their 'traditional way of life').

The seal pups are another issue and I'm torn a bit. I'm not sure how I should feel despite the fact that it repulses me.

And yes... you have it correct... our jails are not particularly tough. That being said, I don't have as much of an issue with our jails as I do with our courts.
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

I'm opposed to our FN people whaling in the manner they do. They used to head out in kayaks and use hand made harpoons to 'hunt' for whales. Now they use sophisticated technology to tilt the scales heavily in their favour (hardly respecting their 'traditional way of life').

The seal pups are another issue and I'm torn a bit. I'm not sure how I should feel despite the fact that it repulses me.

And yes... you have it correct... our jails are not particularly tough. That being said, I don't have as much of an issue with our jails as I do with our courts.
    I can agree with you on the courts - ours are a complete joke too here in the UK
  • So I watched 22 July on Netflix last night after stumbling upon it.

And was reminded how appropriate the DP is in certain situations. In the case of Anders, what is often not mentioned aside from the 77 killed that day, are the 100+ wounded and all the ER/medical people traumatized by the event.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain.
    So I watched 22 July on Netflix last night after stumbling upon it.

And was reminded how appropriate the DP is in certain situations. In the case of Anders, what is often not mentioned aside from the 77 killed that day, are the 100+ wounded and all the ER/medical people traumatized by the event.

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain.
    The Norwegians are too enlightened for that shit.