Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• dignin said:
    The conservatives trying to make hay with that little girls murder is disgusting.
    Somewhat.

Not as much as the tender care of her murderer, but somewhat.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Going with your emotions instead of outcome research in an area as important as correctional policy is as ridiculous as foregoing chemo or radiation for a potentially treatable cancer and instead taking herbal supplements because that "feels" like the right thing to do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Going with your emotions instead of outcome research in an area as important as correctional policy is as ridiculous as foregoing chemo or radiation for a potentially treatable cancer and instead taking herbal supplements because that "feels" like the right thing to do. 

In the 'out of control and in the intense moment of an emotional breakdown' phase... yes. I would agree.

Ignoring the concept of justice and taking extraordinary measures to try and rehabilitate a child murderer is as ridiculous as foregoing chemo or radiation for a potentially treatable cancer and instead taking herbal supplements because that "feels" like the right thing to do though. 

Murder a child and get a mulligan?

The outcome research you have presented at various stages of this discussion is not rock solid and fails to take into account several variables (which were presented as challenges many pages ago in one of these threads which you chose to not address as part of your 'ignore 30 Bills' operating procedure). I'm not going to bother reposting.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Just something to consider...

What are we considering?

Is it this: There are conflicting findings around repeat offences for residents of healing lodges, as compared to minimum security? Yah. These studies are fraught with unaccounted for variables that- while they do give us some kind of an idea- they hardly define anything that we can hang our hat on and then call it a day.

Is it this (linked to above): The 2002 study found that, of 426 residents who had been released from healing lodges between 1995 and 2001, 19 per cent of them (83) had been readmitted to corrections within four years (compared to 13% for offenders in minimum security facilities). Hmmm. 1 in 5 is set to reoffend. And this study suggests the healing house isn't as effective as minimum security.

Is it how such a study fails to take into account the unique characteristics of the offenders'? Focus on what is relevant: what is the reoffending rates for child murderers? Is it appropriate to lump child murderers in with people who have assaulted someone or killed someone by accident when they were drunk... and consider the results of such data appropriate when speaking to a child murderer?

Is it the simple fact that pragmatic people in our society do not see any value in rehabilitating or comforting child murderers... or have any will to do so either? 

Most people think there is a line and when it is crossed... there is no coming back. I mean... it's one thing to kill your spouse in a drunken rage... or have too many drinks and kill someone driving home (one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver). It's quite another to abduct an 8 year old child from the streets, rape her repeatedly, and then brutally murder her with a hammer and your boot.

I'm assuming that by posting this (and by previous discussions), that you think it was appropriate to make this shithead's life sentence as comfortable as possible in the hopes of rehabilitating her. We can agree to disagree on this (but call me an emotional mess and ignore me).
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    dignin said:
    The conservatives trying to make hay with that little girls murder is disgusting.

Yet somehow I doubt her father feels that way...

Give Peas A Chance…
    1st degree murder should be life with no parole ever, actually all murderers should at the be minimum life no parole.

And the BS Harper didn’t do anything.  There is a triple murderer in New Brunswick who killed 3 RCMP Officers serving 75 years before parole eligibility.  That’s one fucker that got taken off the streets for life.

Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:

I'm curious as to why you are not arguing that the Canadian legal system has no jurisdiction over this First Nations offender, given that that is your position with other aspects of Canadian law and policy. 
    Revamped NAFTA deal, now the USMCA, appears to be a reality. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/freeland-rosemary-barton-interview-1.4846281
    edited October 2018
    dignin said:

I'm curious as to why you are not arguing that the Canadian legal system has no jurisdiction over this First Nations offender, given that that is your position with other aspects of Canadian law and policy. 
    WTF ... even the chief of that reserve is shocked that she is there.  As a matter of fact, up until 6 years ago, the government consulted with the reserve who got to go there.  They also used to send village elders to interview potential inmates and even have rejected some inmates.  I'm pretty sure if the chief and band council approval were sought they would have rejected a child killer coming onto their reserve into a facility with no fences.  Do you even know fuck all about this case, or are you that much of a bleeding liberal that you can't see placing a child murderer (she admitted she killed her after he raped her over and over) in that facility is just WRONG, this woman qualifies for capital punishment.  But she is not because people like you apparently do not have a problem with child killers in unsecured facilities.

So to answer your question.  I absolutely support native rights.  They were not consulted.  Also, I don't think she is first nations, because they said anyone can go to a healing center.  They would not have mentioned that if she was first nations.  So unless you have proof that she is first nations, your question is irrelevant.  I also find it ignorant, you think first nation people's want child murderers walking amongst them?  Minimum security prison should not be reserved for child killers...

Every day when those monsters committed those horrendous crimes we in Ontario absorbed the news daily, we saw the pain and anguish this family went through.  Maybe the justice system should also consult the family of the victims.  Your opinion matters very little if you even have .0000001% sympathy for animals like that.

We will ship her to BC ... then you bleeding hearts can have her.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:

WTF ... even the chief of that reserve is shocked that she is there.  As a matter of fact, up until 6 years ago, the government consulted with the reserve who got to go there.  They also used to send village elders to interview potential inmates and even have rejected some inmates.  I'm pretty sure if the chief and band council approval were sought they would have rejected a child killer coming onto their reserve into a facility with no fences.  Do you even know fuck all about this case, or are you that much of a bleeding liberal that you can't see placing a child murderer (she admitted she killed her after he raped her over and over) in that facility is just WRONG, this woman qualifies for capital punishment.  But she is not because people like you apparently do not have a problem with child killers in unsecured facilities.

So to answer your question.  I absolutely support native rights.  They were not consulted.  Also, I don't think she is first nations, because they said anyone can go to a healing center.  They would not have mentioned that if she was first nations.  So unless you have proof that she is first nations, your question is irrelevant.  I also find it ignorant, you think first nation people's want child murderers walking amongst them?  Minimum security prison should not be reserved for child killers...

Every day when those monsters committed those horrendous crimes we in Ontario absorbed the news daily, we saw the pain and anguish this family went through.  Maybe the justice system should also consult the family of the victims.  Your opinion matters very little if you even have .0000001% sympathy for animals like that.

It is reported in the media that it has been confirmed that she is First Nations; thus, my question. How do you see her rights as a First Nations person being upheld in this situation, given your usual position? 

I haven’t stated my opinion on most of the issues above that you assume my opinion on, and I certainly haven’t stated an opinion for my whole province. That’s absurd. 
    dignin said:

It is reported in the media that it has been confirmed that she is First Nations; thus, my question. How do you see her rights as a First Nations person being upheld in this situation, given your usual position? 

I haven’t stated my opinion on most of the issues above that you assume my opinion on, and I certainly haven’t stated an opinion for my whole province. That’s absurd. 
    She lost her rights the minute she was guilty in my opinion.  By the way, if the chief and band council were consulted and she was approved, then that would be fine.  But by the reaction of the chief, I don't think they would have allowed her there.  But I have not seen any proof she is first nations.  Remember this EVIL FUCKING BITCH did the actually bludgeoning of Tori Stafford and she watches her equally guilty POS partner rape her repeatedly.  I can not FUCKING believe there are people like you who actually try t0 justify the decision.  There is no justification for what corrections Canada did.

I do not give a rats ass if Sheer makes it political.  Trudeau did the same after the Coulton Bushey acquittal.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:

She lost her rights the minute she was guilty in my opinion.  By the way, if the chief and band council were consulted and she was approved, then that would be fine.  But by the reaction of the chief, I don't think they would have allowed her there.  But I have not seen any proof she is first nations.  Remember this EVIL FUCKING BITCH did the actually bludgeoning of Tori Stafford and she watches her equally guilty POS partner rape her repeatedly.  I can not FUCKING believe there are people like you who actually try t0 justify the decision.  There is no justification for what corrections Canada did.

I do not give a rats ass if Sheer makes it political.  Trudeau did the same after the Coulton Bushey acquittal.
    What am I trying to justify?

i have posted in favour of making decisions about correctional policy on the basis of evidence of efficacy, and that’s it. I have said nothing about this particular inmate. All the rest is your own elaborate fantasy. I generally prefer to make decisions on the basis of best available evidence and not my gut reaction, but you seem to disagree. 

You have made clear in this thread and others that you don’t think Canadian law and policy applies to First Nations people, at least with respect to hunting, fishing and land use issues. I’m curious as to which aspects you feel do apply, and why. 

Whar proof do you generally require from people before you agree they are First Nations, in other instances?  
  • Great news! Matthew de Grood, who killed five people in 2014, is set to be reintegrated into the community!

The families are angered: "We strongly defy anyone that suggests this risk is manageable or acceptable," wrote the families last month in a joint statement. "The absolute evil and heinous nature of the crime he committed can not be overstated and the prospect of this person being re-integrated into our community is beyond comprehension."

Sheesh. Get over it already.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/quintuple-killer-matthew-de-grood-to-be-transferred-to-edmonton-for-reintegration-into-community/ar-BBNTisp?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
    dignin said:

i have posted in favour of making decisions about correctional policy on the basis of evidence of efficacy, and that’s it. I have said nothing about this particular inmate. All the rest is your own elaborate fantasy. I generally prefer to make decisions on the basis of best available evidence and not my gut reaction, but you seem to disagree. 

You have made clear in this thread and others that you don’t think Canadian law and policy applies to First Nations people, at least with respect to hunting, fishing and land use issues. I’m curious as to which aspects you feel do apply, and why. 

Whar proof do you generally require from people before you agree they are First Nations, in other instances?  
    Go fucking argue with the rest of your bleeding heart liberals.  She bludgeoned to a death an 8-year girl after she watched her being repeatedly raped.  I don't give a rats ass what she fucking claims to be, a family member of hers disputes her first nations claim.  Now quit being known it all bleeding heart liberal a liberal ... 

WTF...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Great news! Matthew de Grood, who killed five people in 2014, is set to be reintegrated into the community!

The families are angered: "We strongly defy anyone that suggests this risk is manageable or acceptable," wrote the families last month in a joint statement. "The absolute evil and heinous nature of the crime he committed can not be overstated and the prospect of this person being re-integrated into our community is beyond comprehension."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/quintuple-killer-matthew-de-grood-to-be-transferred-to-edmonton-for-reintegration-into-community/ar-BBNTisp?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp
    Why even lock these scum up.  Might as well just let them all be paroled from day 1.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Great news! Matthew de Grood, who killed five people in 2014, is set to be reintegrated into the community!

Why even lock these scum up.  Might as well just let them all be paroled from day 1.
    It isn’t a question of parole. He was found NCRMD. 
    edited October 2018
    dignin said:

Go fucking argue with the rest of your bleeding heart liberals.  She bludgeoned to a death an 8-year girl after she watched her being repeatedly raped.  I don't give a rats ass what she fucking claims to be, a family member of hers disputes her first nations claim.  Now quit being known it all bleeding heart liberal a liberal ... 

WTF...
    Well, that’s a compelling argument.  

And I voted Green in the last election, so there.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:

WTF...
    Well, that’s a compelling argument.  

And I voted Green in the last election, so there.
    Why do you bother engaging with the nonsense.

• Great news! The motion to overturn McClintic's transfer to a healing lodge was overturned!  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/after-heated-debate-hurled-insults-tory-motion-to-overturn-child-killers-transfer-to-healing-lodge-defeated/ar-BBNTxOu?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

Trudeau, probably looking really stylish, talked about how great his party was that it respects the rules, judicial system, and the correctional services versus acknowledging a problem might exist within those branches.

And people wonder why Canada is starting to lean towards right wing morons such as Doug Ford. Trudeau called the cons 'ambulance chasers'. While he might have hoped they would have said nothing about this brutal display of correctional incompetence... I have to say their tactic- whether altruistic or not- has worked. Trudeau, aaaaaaagain, looks like he just wasn't ready.
    Great news! The motion to overturn McClintic's transfer to a healing lodge was overturned!  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/after-heated-debate-hurled-insults-tory-motion-to-overturn-child-killers-transfer-to-healing-lodge-defeated/ar-BBNTxOu?li=AAggFp5&ocid=edgsp

Trudeau, probably looking really stylish, talked about how great his party was that it respects the rules, judicial system, and the correctional services versus acknowledging a problem might exist within those branches.

And people wonder why Canada is starting to lean towards right wing morons such as Doug Ford. Trudeau called the cons 'ambulance chasers'. While he might have hoped they would have said nothing about this brutal display of correctional incompetence... I have to say their tactic- whether altruistic or not- has worked. Trudeau, aaaaaaagain, looks like he just wasn't ready.

And apparently, Mr Dressup left and did not participate in the vote.  So now he respects the rule of law and the judiciary, that's funny, he didn't show any respect for the Bushey verdict.  What clown...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    On USMCA
    My take is that we won.  Really happy with how we came out on top in all of this....relatively. 
    End of Chapter 11....cost Canada over 300 million in fines to US companies that got pissed off they couldn't continue making money from polluting the land. Cost the US nothing.  Win for Canada
    Chapter 19 remains...win for Canada.  Dispute resolution between governments.  
    $16 dollars an hour or more to make a car.  Good for Canada.
    300% tariffs remain on dairy on all but 3.6% of imports.  Very similar to TPP.  
    And best of all....
    Trump extols how the tariffs were actually a negotiating tactic and never really a national security thing....I hope Canadian companies sue the crap out of this administration the government whomever.

USMCA....Ur a Stupid Man donald love CAnada
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    Any trade agreement that allows Mexico is a loss for Canada and has been costing Ontarians thousands of job.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm not adverse to sharing the wealth.  Just not interested in a race to the bottom.
    LMFAO ... they are stealing our jobs ... the corporate asshole car companies are not interested in improving life for Mexicans.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    “Stealing our jobs”?? Like we have some sort of God-given right to make cars? 
    What is more of a concern is the lack of respect JT gets for sticking it to the liar in chief.  What an uppercut to the deluded head Donald got.  What a complete nothing he proved to be on trade.  Justin held his ground....just like against Brazzaue in the boxing ring.  Remember when he TKOd that conservative blowhard.  Just like that.  Trump got TKOd by the weak Prime minister.   I love it.  So happy.
    Cant wait to see the next KO.  Doug for the rich people Ford.  What a complete slug he is proving to be.  No idea no plan no clue just ignorance and brutality.   If hes serious about ending the gravy train he should start with his dinner troph.  Doug Ford.  Complete conservative moron.  Hes next.  And still undefeated.  Undisputed liberal champion of the Worlllllllllld.....Justin The Conservative killer Trudeauooooohhhhhhhhh!
    Applause
    Applause 
    We love you JT
    Yeah

Try to not let it get to you too much.  Well take care of you.

edited October 2018
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Where did I say we have a god given right? We do have a responsibility not to enter trade agreements in which it is virtually impossible for us to compete...
    Give Peas A Chance…