Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    So Trudeau’s put himself in isolation because of concerns with his wife. This is by no means a slight and I honestly hope the results are negative and he and his family are fine.

Glad my city (Toronto) smartened up and cancelled the St. Patrick’s Day parade this Sunday.

#gutted about the postponed PJ shows (keeping my tix for my hometown show), but I needed to work on delayed gratification anyways, lol.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid19-premiers-coronavirus-1.5495001
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    So Trudeau’s put himself in isolation because of concerns with his wife. This is by no means a slight and I honestly hope the results are negative and he and his family are fine.

Glad my city (Toronto) smartened up and cancelled the St. Patrick’s Day parade this Sunday.

#gutted about the postponed PJ shows (keeping my tix for my hometown show), but I needed to work on delayed gratification anyways, lol.

I am absolutely disgusted at all the conservative people online claiming that trudeau is doing this for political sympathy points, suggestions that he got the virus because he's 'a weak liberal', and finally, people glad he might have contracted it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I am absolutely disgusted at all the conservative people online claiming that trudeau is doing this for political sympathy points, suggestions that he got the virus because he's 'a weak liberal', and finally, people glad he might have contracted it. 
    Completely agree, that's sad.  This is the time when we need to put aside partisanship and pull together.  In my mind that does still allow for criticism of measures taken/not taken, but the comments you refer to are pathetic.  Makes me embarrassed as a self-identifying Conservative.

On a personal note, I hope you and everyone else can make the rescheduled shows and uncross the Ottawa show on your list.  I'm lucky that I wasn't traveling so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

That said, I had an errand to run downtown today, I'm now rethinking it, not on my behalf but bearing in mind that I live with my 70-something parents and will be seeing my infant nieces on the weekend.  Fixing a broken tablet just doesn't seem all that important right now.

• Options

Completely agree, that's sad.  This is the time when we need to put aside partisanship and pull together.  In my mind that does still allow for criticism of measures taken/not taken, but the comments you refer to are pathetic.  Makes me embarrassed as a self-identifying Conservative.

On a personal note, I hope you and everyone else can make the rescheduled shows and uncross the Ottawa show on your list.  I'm lucky that I wasn't traveling so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

That said, I had an errand to run downtown today, I'm now rethinking it, not on my behalf but bearing in mind that I live with my 70-something parents and will be seeing my infant nieces on the weekend.  Fixing a broken tablet just doesn't seem all that important right now.
    my wife and I aren't concerned for ourselves, but our oldest daughter is immuno-deficient (drugs that keep her healthy do this). so we were supposed to go to a comedy show tonight, my wife said we should still go, I say we shouldn't. I mean, it's not rampant here, but it takes so long to find out if you have it (relative to other viruses, as far as I know), what if someone at the club is infected, we infect our daughter, and she gets sick, or worse?

I'm not typically a "freak out" type, but when it comes to my kids, man, I have to be overly cautious. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

my wife and I aren't concerned for ourselves, but our oldest daughter is immuno-deficient (drugs that keep her healthy do this). so we were supposed to go to a comedy show tonight, my wife said we should still go, I say we shouldn't. I mean, it's not rampant here, but it takes so long to find out if you have it (relative to other viruses, as far as I know), what if someone at the club is infected, we infect our daughter, and she gets sick, or worse?

I'm not typically a "freak out" type, but when it comes to my kids, man, I have to be overly cautious. 
    I'm with you about not generally freaking out about these things, and I'm relatively low risk (mid-40s, no health issues other than being a smoker).  It's the others we need to look out for, as you said.  I'd feel like utter shit if I inadvertently infected my parents or my nieces (or anyone else for that matter).  The virus seems to be fairly isolated here as well, but in a city of 3 million (plus all the daily commuters), it just seems like the perfect storm for a breakout, so I'd rather not chance it.  Taking public transit from the burbs all the way downtown for a screwy tablet, the risk/reward equation doesn't really balance at the moment.

• Options
    Somewhat ironically, I started rewatching Deadwood the other day, and I'm now on the episodes where the camp is dealing with an outbreak of smallpox.  During one of the other recent outbreaks I was reading The Stand (about a superflu that wipes out 99% of the world's population).  Maybe I need to just watch cat videos for the rest of my life, lol.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,529
    Today: a... "motion also passed the bill to implement the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement on trade (CUSMA), or NAFTA 2.0 as it is often known. The Senate voted to pass the bill this morning and it now awaits royal assent to become law."
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I’ve tried to keep quiet about the measures taken/not taken, but this is too much and utterly inappropriate for the Liberals. Even worse, they’re apparently negotiating to keep the extra powers in the aid bill. If it’s that important, enact the Emergency Measures Act, which has built in reviews every 30-90 days.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-pushes-for-power-over-aid-for-canadians

Edited for unnecessary obscenity, I think I made my point and frustration clear without it, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I’ve tried to keep quiet about the measures taken/not taken, but this is too much and utterly inappropriate for the Liberals. Even worse, they’re apparently negotiating to keep the extra powers in the aid bill. If it’s that important, enact the Emergency Measures Act, which has built in reviews every 30-90 days.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-trudeau-pushes-for-power-over-aid-for-canadians

Edited for unnecessary obscenity, I think I made my point and frustration clear without it, lol.
    I agree...

That is why I have chosen to continue working.  No way do I want to rely on the government having my back
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 840
    Disgusting move by the Liberals in this time of need.  Glad other parties took a stance.
    As for Ontario this list of essential services, still can't figure out what is considered non-essential.  Solved nothing in my eyes.  My guess is in 2 weeks they will revisit this and that list will be cut in half.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    I'm glad the opposition did their job.  Now I hope the voters do their job and vote the liberals out.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Glad to read this, though I’m left with the feeling there might be more to Trudeau’s insistence on remaining isolated. If there’s one person I’m all for preemptive testing it’s the PM. His bullishly staying isolated doesn’t instill confidence in me. Or is it officially PM Freeland at this point?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sophie-trudeau-feeling-great-covid-19-1.5513731

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Not a big Ford/Conservative fan, but I find he is doing a fine job through this. Thoughtful, informative and not partisan. So credit where credit is due.
    i try to limit my news intake as it gets overwhelming 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Not a big Ford/Conservative fan, but I find he is doing a fine job through this. Thoughtful, informative and not partisan. So credit where credit is due.
    i try to limit my news intake as it gets overwhelming 
    I’ve had to do the same in terms of limiting my news consumption (typed as I have CTV’s national news on, lol). I tend to have the local 24 hour news channel on during the day, now I turn it on when I get up for the headlines then turn it off. Thank God OLN’s been running the latest season of Impractical Jokers mixed in among the reruns, lol.

As always I hope everyone’s keeping safe and healthy.

• Options
    Ford must be a great actor...on multiple occasions he said “Trudeau has shown great leadership”...

Trudeau and lieberals tried to give themselves the ability to tax and spend without parliaments approval until the end of 2021.

it was Sheer and the Conservatives who are showing leadership by stopping that BS and getting a much better relief package put in place for those people who do not qualify fo EI...

neither Ford or Trudeau have done a good job...I will give Ford the slight edge though.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So here's a bit more information about Trudeau's continued isolation.  If it's true that anyone that's shared a roof with someone who's tested positive for the virus requires a full month of isolation, that needs to be better communicated to the general public.  This is the first I've heard of such a measure, and it furthers my argument that if there's one person to pre-emptively test, it's our Prime Minister.  I'm not suggesting he go out gladhanding, but he needs to be seen clearly to be at the helm, not sequestered away except for his daily "briefings".  Unfortunately, to me, he's clearly nothing but a figurehead right now and I have less and less faith in his leadership (admittedly, my opinion on this was already low).

https://globalnews.ca/news/6748447/trudeau-isolation-wife-recovery-coronavirus/

• Options
    One further thought I've been having, if/when this is all over or settled down, we need PUBLIC inquiries to examine how all levels of government have handled this from early January on.  I was saddened early on to see private companies (Air Canada for one) and foreign rock bands (Pearl Jam, obviously) doing more to protect us than our governments were at the time.

• Options
    Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s handling of the pandemic draws praise from friends and foes

https://globalnews.ca/news/6748692/doug-ford-coronavirus-pandemic/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UfltprVYsV2UJnAvhthdMNDB7s5fBhA--39UJfC8j_voety9k7_umtqg

Andrew Sheer has shown tremendous leadership...a good portion of that stimulus package was the federal conservatives' ideas.

It pains Trudeau to have to spend money on Canadians.  

We do not need a public enquiry...we need a prime minister who is ready for the job and who will not get on his/her knees to China.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s handling of the pandemic draws praise from friends and foes

https://globalnews.ca/news/6748692/doug-ford-coronavirus-pandemic/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0UfltprVYsV2UJnAvhthdMNDB7s5fBhA--39UJfC8j_voety9k7_umtqg

Andrew Sheer has shown tremendous leadership...a good portion of that stimulus package was the federal conservatives' ideas.

We do not need a public enquiry...we need a prime minister who is ready for the job and who will not get on his/her knees to China.

I’m guessing once the dust settles most democracies will be running analysis on how this was dealt with.

I’m not sure I agree Scheer’s shown strong leadership, I’d say it’s more a matter of good judgment. He’s stayed out of the government’s way except for their overreach last week. Despite analysis in the wake of SARS it’s felt (and feels) to me like the federal government has been making it up as they go.

Ford, on the other hand has done fairly well for the province once they started acting, and thankfully Andrea Horwath has backed away from her usual rhetoric for the time being.

• Options
    scheer is a fucking idiot that is sewing more division than doing anything productive. fuck him. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I’m guessing once the dust settles most democracies will be running analysis on how this was dealt with.

I’m not sure I agree Scheer’s shown strong leadership, I’d say it’s more a matter of good judgment. He’s stayed out of the government’s way except for their overreach last week. Despite analysis in the wake of SARS it’s felt (and feels) to me like the federal government has been making it up as they go.

Ford, on the other hand has done fairly well for the province once they started acting, and thankfully Andrea Horwath has backed away from her usual rhetoric for the time being.
    Ford has done a better job than Trudeau... mtrudeau will never be ready.

Maybe you should research what sheer and the conservatives did for Canadians by greeting a much better relief package and by stopping the liberal dicks from having the power to tax and spend...

lmfao at Trudeau supports. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Sheers being divisive..lol

yeah he should have just rolled over.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    what a joke a joke Trudeau...they did not set aside a single dime in a rainy day fund... lol.  His supporters believe his lies
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 840
    going to be interesting to hear Morneau tomorrow morning discussing the details. 
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    You’d think they keep the parks and public spaces open.  I mean all the fatties who need their fast food will have no where to exercise...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    You’d think they keep the parks and public spaces open.  I mean all the fatties who need their fast food will have no where to exercise...

Good grief what a shitty comment. 
  • Options

My understanding is locally (Toronto) people had been irresponsible in letting children play freely in the playgrounds by parents, which led to the city closing the playgrounds and dog parks (another prime place for transmission of the virus). Over the weekend people were tearing down the caution tape and signs on the playgrounds and dog parks, which has led to padlocks and public admonitions from officials. As far as I’m aware the so-called green spaces in the parks remain open for people to walk in and otherwise exercise.

That said, I know this situation is getting to everyone to different degrees, but man, there’s no need to be downright nasty. There’s better ways to make your point (took me a bit to learn that lesson myself, I’ll admit).

Again I’ll say I hope you and everyone else are keeping safe and healthy in this difficult circumstance.

• Options

Good grief what a shitty comment. 
    Oh good grief.  It’s true what I said.  Public spaces being open gives people a place to go and get some fresh air and relieve some anxiety.  Keeping fast food joints open just how dumb society is...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

My understanding is locally (Toronto) people had been irresponsible in letting children play freely in the playgrounds by parents, which led to the city closing the playgrounds and dog parks (another prime place for transmission of the virus). Over the weekend people were tearing down the caution tape and signs on the playgrounds and dog parks, which has led to padlocks and public admonitions from officials. As far as I’m aware the so-called green spaces in the parks remain open for people to walk in and otherwise exercise.

That said, I know this situation is getting to everyone to different degrees, but man, there’s no need to be downright nasty. There’s better ways to make your point (took me a bit to learn that lesson myself, I’ll admit).

Again I’ll say I hope you and everyone else are keeping safe and healthy in this difficult circumstance.
    Pretty hard to take Trudeau or fatty Ford serious when pretty much everything is considered essential, especially fast food...like I said it keep the fatties like ford happy.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I will give Ford credit.  He went and picked up donated mask on Sunday and brought them to the central warehouse...

where our pm.  Mostly hiding under his bed.  

Gove Prince Charles credit.  Symptom free 2 negative test and given the all clear and was only isolated 7 days...
    Give Peas A Chance…