U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    the US will never be any good in soccer and I, for one, could give two shits less.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Wobbie said:
    the US will never be any good in soccer and I, for one, could give two shits less.
    They're not bad man. Compared to other nations. Not the worst.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    I would run through a wall for Geoff Cameron right now

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/geoff-cameron-what-must-change-in-u-s-soccer/

He is 100% right on.  If we want to compete with the best, our best players need to be playing in Europe in the best leagues...it's plain and simple.  Not going to get any better with so many guys playing in MLS.  MLS is trash.

Hopefully there is some significant change with whomever becomes new president, but if it's someone like Kathy Carter it will just be more of the same.  Read up about SUM (Soccer United Marketing), MLS and US Soccer and how closely they are all associated...it's a bizarre setup.
    And they elected Carlos Cordeiro.  He was the VP of US Soccer and now moving up to president.  So yeah, I wouldn't expect much change.  What a joke of an organization.
    The skill level in this PSG-Real Madrid game is off the charts.  It's like watching 2 all star teams out there.  Champions League is the best.
    Champions League is great. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Love seeing this.  Sargent is going to be a good one.  Hopefully this becomes the norm with these young kids going to Europe....forget MLS.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/02/20/josh-sargent-werder-bremen-signs-contract-birthday
    Watching this Liverpool-Roma champions league game right now....Salah is incredible.  
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    I’m sorry.....I believe our MLS goalie, Nick Rimando, has like 200 wins..,,you could put me in his place and I’d have 180.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Watching this Liverpool-Roma champions league game right now....Salah is incredible.  
    Mustang Salah!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Back up a fucking brinks truck for Zidane. (never gonna happen.

Or if not, one of the inevitable post World Cup firings

Instead we're gonna get Tab Ramos.  Just watch.
    That Bale bike in the biggest non-country game in the world was amazing.

Was just coming here to post the same thing.  Nothing too surprising.  Although it's pretty clear the guys who wrote the ringer article had an agenda to make Jurgen look as bad possible while laying none of the blame on Arena.  And absolutely no mention of the inability to develop players through the youth systems.  Jurgen did a lot of bad things, but he did plenty of good too.  The players not knowing how they would be playing tactically before games is horrible.  But I did love that he challenged these guys to go play in the best leagues in Europe.  And they did get out of the group of death in 2014 which was a huge accomplishment.  Giving him that extension before the 2014 world cup even started was a huge mistake....it almost never works out for national team coaches going into a 2nd world cup cycle.

Obviously the problems with US Soccer are much bigger than some tactical decision by Arena in those last 2 games, but there is still absolutely zero explanation for Cameron being on the bench.  Does it sound like he's kinda an asshole?  Yes.  But he's one of our best defenders who plays regularly in one of the best leagues in the world and not the horseshit MLS.  You're right...now I'm pissed off all over again.  

Having said all that, I do feel good about the future even though the changes within US Soccer have not been as significant as they should be.  Hearing about these "power brokers" within US Soccer and how they think wholesale changes were not needed makes my blood boil.  And I'm so sick of hearing about Don Garber.....MLS is a joke of a league and has been detrimental to the development of the national program.  But, there are so many young guys to be excited about that are actually playing overseas.  Check out @BrianSciaretta on twitter....he's always up to date on all the USMNT guys and how they're doing with their club teams.  There were quite a few guys playing in Europe that I didn't even know about.  
    At least we’ll be in the 2026 world Cup. All kidding aside, this is awesome and I can’t wait to take my family to this like my parents did in 94
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    US soccer will never be on par with world power houses such as Brazil Germany Italy etc etc , this country is Baseball in summer , hockey & football and basketball in winter ..
    the passion from the populace is not there average Joe doesn’t follow soccer !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    At least we’ll be in the 2026 world Cup. All kidding aside, this is awesome and I can’t wait to take my family to this like my parents did in 94

Pretty cool. I'm going to start saving money now because I am 100% going to be at one of the US games. 

Naturally this corrupt ass city I live in isn't part of the bid because they didn't like the demands of the bid. So ridiculous at the 3rd 
    largest city in the country won't be hosting any games. 

Pretty cool. I'm going to start saving money now because I am 100% going to be at one of the US games. 

Naturally this corrupt ass city I live in isn't part of the bid because they didn't like the demands of the bid. So ridiculous at the 3rd 
    Oh god.  In the World Cup thread I posted that they were a definite.  Looking at the list of cities, you're correct. Wowzers.

Yeah, also posted in the world cup thread that I went as a kid and can't want to go as an adult.

Oh god.  In the World Cup thread I posted that they were a definite.  Looking at the list of cities, you're correct. Wowzers.

Yeah, also posted in the world cup thread that I went as a kid and can't want to go as an adult.

Yeah Chicago should be a lock.  Cincinnati is included, but not Chicago.  Insane....but not surprising that Chicago would mess this up with bureaucratic nonsense. 

Oh man, that's awesome that you went in 94.  My dad isn't much of a soccer guy so that wasn't much of an option for me back then.  I'll definitely be at a game or 2 in 2026.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    Crap! I didn't realize Chicago wouldn't be a host site. That totally kills my plans to make one of the games with my kids and go to that great place where we have family I could stay with. They'll be the perfect age and it would have been a nice road trip. The midwest is getting hosed. I guess there's still Kansas City...
    It's a hopeless situation...

Yeah Chicago should be a lock.  Cincinnati is included, but not Chicago.  Insane....but not surprising that Chicago would mess this up with bureaucratic nonsense. 

Oh man, that's awesome that you went in 94.  My dad isn't much of a soccer guy so that wasn't much of an option for me back then.  I'll definitely be at a game or 2 in 2026.

Most unique sporting events I have ever been too. Went to 4 games.  Chanting, singing, drums all game.  It was amazing. Saw Italy in 2 games too and they went to the finals.  Friggen Baggio
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    if philly gets a spot i'd probably go to one. 

Spain's manager fired?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Got home and turned on the tv and is infuriating to see Michael Bradley playing in the mls right now
    Got home and turned on the tv and is infuriating to see Michael Bradley playing in the mls right now
    The MLS is so bad that they don't even need to shut down the league during the world cup.  I think I saw that there were only like 17 players from MLS playing in the world cup and a majority of the guys were on Panama who was one of the worst teams in the tournament.  But hey, Wayne Rooney just signed with DC....but it's not a retirement league.  LOL.  Sorry for the rant...I just hate the MLS.
    Rip Dempsey.

donovan has my favorite goal ever but Dempsey is my favorite player ever. For my money the best American ever.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Rip Dempsey.

donovan has my favorite goal ever but Dempsey is my favorite player ever. For my money the best American ever.
    Agreed. I'm happy I was able to watch Clint locally for his final few years. Just wish he could have had 1 more USMNT goal to own that record by himself. Same with Sounders. He's tied as all time leading goal scorer for the club. He's still #1 in my book for USMNT. He hit that record in fewer games than Landon, and most of his goals were from the run of play, whereas a good chunk of Landon's goals were from the mark, which for me isn't nearly as impressive. Clint will be missed. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    That goal against Ghana in 2014 is one of my favorite goals ever. All that buildup to the World Cup with the group of death and he comes out and scores less than a minute into the game. Legend. 
    Quite the game this evening 
    Tough half.  I still hate Neymar.
    Tough half.  I still hate Neymar.
    Wasn’t a penalty. I like Neymar but that penalty style shouldn’t be allowed.