Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

You do know if we walk away from NAFTA, Trump might impose tariffs on the auto sector.  But most of us know that BC only cares about BC...just ask Alberta.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Does anyone really think that electing judges is the way to go? Just look at the mess that is the judicial system in the US. Electing judges simply makes yet another space for completely partisan pandering for votes. 
    Well allowing politicians to appointing judges gets us judges that treat murder like it's no bid deal.  What ever, set up an independent panel that appoints judges that are completely untouchable by politicians and where politician have no influence.  You really trust Trudeau at this point, the guy is one clusterfuck after enough.  Either way there needs to be a better way.  Or pass hard sentencing laws...but once again PM Fluff would never do that, he pays off terrorist, then looks at military vet missing one leg, and tells him "you are asking more than we can give".  Real good leadership...

Trudeau didn't appoint this judge, or any other provincial court judge. The PM is only involved in Chief Justice appointments. You'll have to find some other reason to complain about him, but that's clearly not going to be a problem for you. 

In fact, this is the procedure in Ontario:

Ontario Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee[edit]

In Ontario, the Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee (JAAC) is made up of 13 members: 7 lay members, 2 judges, 1 member appointed by the Ontario Judicial Council, and 3 from the legal community.[2] JAAC recommends a list of 3 or 4 candidates, far less than its federal counterpart.[3] Proponents of the system argue that this procedure has limited patronage appoints to Ontario courts, and has diversified the makeup of judges in the province.[3] Unlike other committees, the JAAC advertises openings and interviews candidates in person.[4]

They need a better process to select judges.  He does have control over sentencing guidelines through legislation...but a liberal getting tough crime...LMFAO.  If NAFTA dies over the dairy industry and tariffs are slapped on Autos then it won't matter ... he'll be voted out next year anyways.
    Show me your evidence that getting “tough on crime” improves public safety by measures such as reducing recidivism rates. 

Yes we should let all murderers walk free after 4 years ... what the fuck am I thinking.
    Do you even read what you respond to?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I’m also curious why someone who hates politicians and wants to get politics out of the legal system can then think the solution is to make judges into politicians. 
    Where has anyone said they want politicians picking Judes...Doesn't matter who you have if the politicians had the balls to actually pass tough laws...
    Please read what I said. Nowhere in there did I say I wanted politicians picking judges. You are the one who would make judges into politicians, by making it an elected position. That’s what we call people who hold a public office by way of winning a public voting process. 
    The entire conversation started with a judge handing down a lenient sentence to murder and then you wanna know if I think being tough on crime is the answer.  To clarify, non-violent offenders, work with, re-habilatate them ... I have no problem to a certain point...but when they have a wrap sheet a mile long ... then you to get tough with them.  Anybody convicted murder, including DUI murders should never be released from jail.  These POS who so little value for human life, including the drunks deserve to die in prison or at the end of a hangman's noose...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    TalonTedd said:
    If NAFTA does die.  Pipelines get built pronto.  They head east west and any direction other than south.

Oh and a post script for Mexico
    F you too.  You say you prefer Canada is in but would make a deal without us

All of this goes to my Hope's and dreams that we begin the process of building a NLRB economy here at home.  No more profits for miscreants.  Healthy happy productive lives for all Canadians not shrouded under the world wasting system of the miscreants.....Capitalism.

I agree, Mexico, that was a bitch move.  It should have been a collective of all three parties coming together for an agreement.  With the deal in place, both the US and Mex, in my opinion left CA with little negotiating room. 

CA needs to increase export pricing on all of our power/resources to the US.  

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....

You do know if we walk away from NAFTA, Trump might impose tariffs on the auto sector.  But most of us know that BC only cares about BC...just ask Alberta.

maybe that's what the dick is trying to do, with the Mex agreement in place, shut down/reduce CA plants and move to US/Mex.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Does anyone really think that electing judges is the way to go? Just look at the mess that is the judicial system in the US. Electing judges simply makes yet another space for completely partisan pandering for votes. 
    Agreed 100%. It's a terrible idea.

What we need are better minimum sentences.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Nami said:

maybe that's what the dick is trying to do, with the Mex agreement in place, shut down/reduce CA plants and move to US/Mex.

I have wondered that myself.  You are a big wings fan?  You heard Zetterberg career might be over?  The back injury that plagued him for the last few years is likely going to end his career.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nami said:
    TalonTedd said:
    If NAFTA does die.  Pipelines get built pronto.  They head east west and any direction other than south.

Oh and a post script for Mexico
    F you too.  You say you prefer Canada is in but would make a deal without us

All of this goes to my Hope's and dreams that we begin the process of building a NLRB economy here at home.  No more profits for miscreants.  Healthy happy productive lives for all Canadians not shrouded under the world wasting system of the miscreants.....Capitalism.

I agree, Mexico, that was a bitch move.  It should have been a collective of all three parties coming together for an agreement.  With the deal in place, both the US and Mex, in my opinion left CA with little negotiating room. 

CA needs to increase export pricing on all of our power/resources to the US.  

Here in Ontario the recently booted out Liberals were so intent on installing more and more windmills and were producing more power than we can use we were giving hydro away to Americans...

Fortunately some sanity is returning and windmill projects that were planned are getting cancelled ...

We never needed windmills...

They just drove up the cost of hydro.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I just became aware that Faith Goldy, alt-right neo Nazi sympathizer who has ".... recited the most popular white supremacist slogan publicly, demanded a modern crusadeagainst Muslims, champions ethno-nationalism, and bemoans "white genocide"", is campaigning for mayor of Toronto.

Two Toronto police officers allowed themselves to be photographed in uniform with her and campaign supporters, and apparently the PD doesn't have an issue with it. 

Toronto Police, this was not a good decision.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/davide-mastracci/faith-goldy-toronto-police_a_23512858/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    I just became aware that Faith Goldy, alt-right neo Nazi sympathizer who has ".... recited the most popular white supremacist slogan publicly, demanded a modern crusadeagainst Muslims, champions ethno-nationalism, and bemoans "white genocide"", is campaigning for mayor of Toronto.

Two Toronto police officers allowed themselves to be photographed in uniform with her and campaign supporters, and apparently the PD doesn't have an issue with it. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/davide-mastracci/faith-goldy-toronto-police_a_23512858/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    24 people are running for mayor.  Would you believe she is not the worst candidate.

Have a look at Chris Brosky...#3

Here Are The 11 Most Notable People Running For Mayor Of Toronto

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/news/here-are-the-11-most-noteable-people-running-for-mayor-of-toronto

CHRIS BROSKY

The Basics: Chris Brosky is running for Mayor in the City of Toronto. Brosky ran in the 2014 election in Ward 28, and received 349 votes.

Background: Brosky is described as a neo-Nazi, and was convicted of a racially-motivated murder of a black man in Texas 27 years ago. 

Platform: Nothing publicly available.

Full list of Toronto mayoral candidates at the Mayors Project

Give Peas A Chance…
  • I just became aware that Faith Goldy, alt-right neo Nazi sympathizer who has ".... recited the most popular white supremacist slogan publicly, demanded a modern crusadeagainst Muslims, champions ethno-nationalism, and bemoans "white genocide"", is campaigning for mayor of Toronto.

24 people are running for mayor.  Would you believe she is not the worst candidate.

Have a look at Chris Brosky...#3

Here Are The 11 Most Notable People Running For Mayor Of Toronto

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/news/here-are-the-11-most-noteable-people-running-for-mayor-of-toronto

CHRIS BROSKY

The Basics: Chris Brosky is running for Mayor in the City of Toronto. Brosky ran in the 2014 election in Ward 28, and received 349 votes.

Background: Brosky is described as a neo-Nazi, and was convicted of a racially-motivated murder of a black man in Texas 27 years ago. 

Platform: Nothing publicly available.

Full list of Toronto mayoral candidates at the Mayors Project

Dear gawd.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    The good news is these fringe candidates will not win.  I suspect John Tory will cruise to victory ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    It’s sayin’ something when a neo Nazi is not the worst candidate, because there’s a neo Nazi murdered running. 
    Believe me, I honestly thought that would be the last city with those type of candidates.  The Trump effect I guess.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Nami said:

I have wondered that myself.  You are a big wings fan?  You heard Zetterberg career might be over?  The back injury that plagued him for the last few years is likely going to end his career.  
    Damnit, i read you comment and went right to DRWs.com. Yup didnt train over the summer, points to retirement.   damn.   Looks like its kronwalls lat year too.  Its rebuild time anyways... got some good young talent. cheers
    Nami said:
    Nami said:

Damnit, i read you comment and went right to DRWs.com. Yup didnt train over the summer, points to retirement.   damn.   Looks like its kronwalls lat year too.  Its rebuild time anyways... got some good young talent. cheers
    I like their round 1 pick ... he is is suppose to be the best goal scorer out of that draft.  Zetterberg was a good captain and an excellent player.

Kronwall will likely be captain this year? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Correctional Service Canada (CSC) is looking into how an inmate escaped from the Mission Institution minimum security unit Saturday night.https://globalnews.ca/news/4423451/inmate-serving-time-for-manslaughter-escapes-missions-minimum-security-unit/

I wonder why he escaped from a minimum security facility ... hmmm .... lets think about.  It could be because he is only serving  a 14 year sentence for  manslaughter, arson, escape, and other offences.  Don't look into to hard. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Correctional Service Canada (CSC) is looking into how an inmate escaped from the Mission Institution minimum security unit Saturday night.https://globalnews.ca/news/4423451/inmate-serving-time-for-manslaughter-escapes-missions-minimum-security-unit/

I wonder why he escaped from a minimum security facility ... hmmm .... lets think about.  It could be because he is only serving  a 14 year sentence for  manslaughter, arson, escape, and other offences.  Don't look into to hard. 

Yah.

I take a beating every now and then when I refer to murderers and rapists and pedophiles serving piddly amounts of time at a country club for their grievous offences. I've illustrated multiple times very similar situations that are bloody comical.

For the amount of time and effort we place into investigating, arresting, court proceedings, jury selection (100s of people every day for 2-3 cases), parole hearings, housing, etc. to culminate in these laughable sentences... I think we'd be better off just letting things happen.

If the old argument 'consequences are not a deterrent' is valid (and we can't stop crimes from happening given people are unconcerned with consequences)... and the pathetically weak sentences we continually dole out hardly resemble justice (not to mention that to some... they're just 'revenge' anyways)... what's the point?
    Correctional Service Canada (CSC) is looking into how an inmate escaped from the Mission Institution minimum security unit Saturday night.https://globalnews.ca/news/4423451/inmate-serving-time-for-manslaughter-escapes-missions-minimum-security-unit/

Yah.

I take a beating every now and then when I refer to murderers and rapists and pedophiles serving piddly amounts of time at a country club for their grievous offences. I've illustrated multiple times very similar situations that are bloody comical.

For the amount of time and effort we place into investigating, arresting, court proceedings, jury selection (100s of people every day for 2-3 cases), parole hearings, housing, etc. to culminate in these laughable sentences... I think we'd be better off just letting things happen.

If the old argument 'consequences are not a deterrent' is valid (and we can't stop crimes from happening given people are unconcerned with consequences)... and the pathetically weak sentences we continually dole out hardly resemble justice (not to mention that to some... they're just 'revenge' anyways)... what's the point?
    So you are giving up?  It does seem reasonable to give up.  Why are we so soft on murderers?  I will never understand that.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2018

Yah.

So you are giving up?  It does seem reasonable to give up.  Why are we so soft on murderers?  I will never understand that.  
    I wouldn't necessarily say I am giving up.

My post was tongue in cheek. I would say I am fed up and have been fed up for quite some time.

We aren't soft. Our lawmakers are soft. Most Canadians- even the most liberal ones around these parts- have grown weary of our judicial system with regards to the 'punishment' aspect of it.

Search continues for Calgary killer who walked away from B.C. prison

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/searches-continues-for-calgary-killer-who-walked-away-from-b-c-prison/wcm/ba8d375c-81fd-4995-9a25-a361c47e3d2e?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1536077553

In in jail for killing 2 children.  How the fuck do you only get a 14 year sentence for killing 2 kids...the headline is wrong he's been captured.  I'm sure some nice sweet heart judge will add an additional mo
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Yah.

Where do you "take a beating" Thirty? I can't recall anyone ever disagreeing with the fact that Canada's criminal justice system has a serious problem when it comes to sentencing. I don't understand why you continue to insist that you're some kind of lone wolf when it comes to this issue, when the opposite is true. You seem to think the DP conversation and this one are the same (and equally relevant in Canada), when of course they are not at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited September 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Yah.

Where do you "take a beating" Thirty? I can't recall anyone ever disagreeing with the fact that Canada's criminal justice system has a serious problem when it comes to sentencing. I don't understand why you continue to insist that you're some kind of lone wolf when it comes to this issue, when the opposite is true. You seem to think the DP conversation and this one are the same (and equally relevant in Canada), when of course they are not at all.
    I don't think I'm a lone wolf at all. Where have you established this idea? Goofy.

That is all. 
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    There is no reason for Bernardo and Russell Williams and more like them to not see the DP...

Those sick bastards get to relive there crimes everyday their alive.  Executing those scum will take away that from them ...  pointless letting those sick fuckers live...

Unlike the rest of society ... I would not allow lethal injection ... hanging is perfect. Let them bleed out slowly would suffice.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • There is no reason for Bernardo and Russell Williams and more like them to not see the DP...

Those sick bastards get to relive there crimes everyday their alive.  Executing those scum will take away that from them ...  pointless letting those sick fuckers live...

Unlike the rest of society ... I would not allow lethal injection ... hanging is perfect. Let them bleed out slowly would suffice.  

You wouldn't get any opposition from me here. Absolutely worthless creatures. Worse than parasites.
    There is no reason for Bernardo and Russell Williams and more like them to not see the DP...

You wouldn't get any opposition from me here. Absolutely worthless creatures. Worse than parasites.
    Why I mention those 2 specifically ... they video taped the torture and rape of those young ladies...so their guilt is not in dispute.  I live in Chatham, Ontario in 1991 and a young fellow Jason Cofell ( I worked with his dad...his dad was a very nice fellow) killed 2 seniors and their grand son ... He killed the grand son in open field (with a gun), the grandparents were home when Jason Cofell and his accomplished picked this kid up a his grandparents house, after killing the grandson he and his accomplishes went back and stabbed the grandparents to death ... he is now on day parole.  Convicted of 3 counts 1st degree murder is now on day parole.

Chatham triple murderer Jason Shawn Cofell's day parole extended

https://lfpress.com/2017/12/07/triple-murderer-becoming-more-integrated-into-society/wcm/99c5129c-5849-0475-e356-fd781ab88d4b
    Give Peas A Chance…