Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    i'd rather not give scheer any chance whatsoever. 
    I hear ya.

So far it's pretty tight. But thankfully Scheer and the cons are not looking great.
  • Options
    CBC called Liberal government.

Will it be a majority?
  • Options
    CBC now says Liberal minority.

I couldn't have asked for a better result.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Meanwhile, those of us on the west coast just finished voting. Work went late tonight so I screamed into the polling station at 6:55, fully confident that the rest of the country has already decided the result, as always :lol:  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Just looked at the CBC live results. NDP has one seat but leading in another 20 seats, likely most of them in the west. 

People's Party  - elected 0, leading in 0 - that's the result I want for the Bernier racists - a total flop.
  • Options
    Wow - Bernier didn't even win his own seat. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533

dignin said:
    CBC now says Liberal minority.

I couldn't have asked for a better result.
    Yes. The NDP can work well with the Libs on a lot of issues I think, and together they are likely to actually get some shit done.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Lol. I was glad to see that. There aren't as many crazies in Canada as Facebook would have us believe, haha.
    Jane Philpott lost her riding too btw, which was more surprising.
    Finally, the term "the Ford factor" is apparently an official term, lol, to explain why the Cons failed so bad in Ontario. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    At least the new Star Wars trailer dropped tonight, so there was something good for me, lol.

It will be interesting to see (assuming the current count stands) if we get a more reasonable Trudeau out of this, though I’m not hopeful. And we’ll never know the full truth about the SNC story which should have killed this government.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    This result was set in stone when the conservatives chose a leader with the personality of a potato.

He made Harper look like the life of the party.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    bob rae made a good point on cbc. he thinks that the cons made a mistake in keeping ford in hiding for the duration of the election. others agreed that there's a reason it's called 'ford nation' and he could have rallied his supporters to help the cons in ontario. who knows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol. I was glad to see that. There aren't as many crazies in Canada as Facebook would have us believe, haha.
    Finally, the term "the Ford factor" is apparently an official term, lol, to explain why the Cons failed so bad in Ontario. :)

I am so totally glad to see that the country rejected their racist nonsense.

Of course, Quebec elected BQ in large numbers with their own brand of racist nonsense, so that wasn't good to see. 

Do we have a result for Wilson-Raybould yet? Will be interesting to see. I can see that 1 Independent has got a seat - is it her?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

I am so totally glad to see that the country rejected their racist nonsense.

Of course, Quebec elected BQ in large numbers with their own brand of racist nonsense, so that wasn't good to see. 

Do we have a result for Wilson-Raybould yet? Will be interesting to see. I can see that 1 Independent has got a seat - is it her?
    Wilson-Raybould's riding is basically at a 3-way tie at the moment, with her only 200 votes ahead with less than half the polls reporting. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What I don't get is why in the hell there are a bunch of cons on the news still babbling about Trudeau cancelling the TM pipeline. He bought the damn thing for more than $4B specifically to make it happen. Why are the Cons deluded into thinking Trudeau is a threat against it???? (I wish!)

The fact that the BQ is even allowed to be a national party never fails to irritate me. Ridiculous. That they won more seats than the NDP is utterly ludicrous to me.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    What I don't get is why in the hell there are a bunch of cons on the news still babbling about Trudeau cancelling the TM pipeline. He bought the damn thing for more than $4B specifically to make it happen. Why are the Cons deluded into thinking Trudeau is a threat against it???? (I wish!)

The fact that the BQ is even allowed to be a national party never fails to irritate me. Ridiculous. That they won more seats than the NDP is utterly ludicrous to me.

I agree on the BQ. Tough to see the NDP win so few seats. 
  • Options
    Proportional Representation.
  • Options
    Looking like the CPC is the new Hilary Clinton, looking at the vote count on CBC.

It’s troubling our next government will have no representation in at least one province (and only one seat in another. Speaks volumes.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

To gain Singh’s support the pipeline dies, it’s really that simple, Singh said as much during the campaign.

• Options
    Looking like the CPC is the new Hilary Clinton, looking at the vote count on CBC.

It’s troubling our next government will have no representation in at least one province (and only one seat in another. Speaks volumes.

How do you figure that?

Yes, cons are ahead in votes right now, but projections say that the liberals will still win another 17 seats over the cons' 6 additional seats, so liberals are likely to come out ahead in total vote count as well.
  • Options

How do you figure that?

Yes, cons are ahead in votes right now, but projections say that the liberals will still win another 17 seats over the cons' 6 additional seats, so liberals are likely to come out ahead in total vote count as well.
    I was just reading the numbers, guess I should’ve said they may be, lol.  Sorry, it’s been a rough night and I’m doing my best to bite my tongue. This time around Trudeau gets no benefit of the doubt from me, though I’ll still be hoping he proves me wrong (he could start by opening the books on SNC for example).

• Options
    edited October 2019

If there were only 2 parties to speak of like in the US that would ring more true. But progressive votes still take the popular vote (whether the Cons or Libs come out on top).
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

To gain Singh’s support the pipeline dies, it’s really that simple, Singh said as much during the campaign.
    But that isn't at what they are saying. They are specifically saying TRUDEAU was and is a threat to the pipeline and that played into the election results. Also, the NDP can't do shit about it. The Libs and the Cons will make it happen (too bad). Singh isn't going to just be against the Libs no matter what the issue is when 280 seats vote for it. Do people seriously believe that??
  • Options
    Wilson-Raybould won her seat, the lone independent elected. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    So weird that Trudeau and Scheer gave their speeches at the exact same time. Wtf?? I wonder who in the hell is responsible for that? Obviously it means that nobody hears Scheer's speech live. I mean... if Trudeau wouldn't wait any longer for a stalling Scheer (I do assume it was Scheer who was stalling right into the middle of the night for much of Canada - Trudeau couldn't wait forever FFS), then Scheer should have waited.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But that isn't at what they are saying. They are specifically saying TRUDEAU was and is a threat to the pipeline and that played into the election results. Also, the NDP can't do shit about it. The Libs and the Cons will make it happen (too bad). Singh isn't going to just be against the Libs no matter what the issue is when 280 seats vote for it. Do people seriously believe that??
    Unfortunately JT’s first government doesn’t make me optimistic on this file, I don’t recall them appealing a single one of the court rulings that went against the pipeline after it was bought. That doesn’t scream of eagerness to get shovels in the ground. We’ll have to wait and see, I suppose.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh man. Now I am watching the Scheer speech (recorded). Terrible. Super negative. It's nearly like another campaign attack ad. He's literally talking about how Canada is further divided. He clearly has no intention of trying to work for everyone in Canada now. What is wrong with this guy?
    The only decent thing he said was literally and admittedly taken from PM Deifenbaker.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada needs a new national 3rd party...not the cons or the libs.  At least not the way those are right now. To me that’s what I take of this election.  Canadians are sick of the status quo...but there is no alternative.  

The bloc resurgent is on Trudeau.  They will continue to surge.  He is the best party leader and it’s not even close.  To bad he’s a separatist.

i decided to concentrate on my own riding and candidates in it.  I went with a volunteer fire fighter and farmer who knocked on my door and we chatted for a good 20 minutes.  He’ll be a great MP for my riding.  I could give a shit who the PM is.  All the party leaders are buffoons.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    What’s the Canadian opinion of Shady mcBlackFace winning? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ford....I quite enjoyed that "the fear" spilled over to influence our federal election. Ford and Scheer together would have been bad news. People realized this and voted accordingly.
    Overall I'm happy with the results of the election. 
  • Options
    Ford....I quite enjoyed that "the fear" spilled over to influence our federal election. Ford and Scheer together would have been bad news. People realized this and voted accordingly.
    Overall I'm happy with the results of the election. 
    I’m reasonably happy too, though would have liked the NDP to get more seats and the BQ fewer. 

I wonder how Wilson-Raybould is going to lean? I doubt she’s going to side with the conservatives on much. Probably be the fly in the liberal’s ointment.