Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I came here fully expecting that this would be the big conversation of the day already!

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/trans-mountain-pipeline-approval-quashed-by-court

Trans Mountain pipeline approval quashed by court

Kinder Morgan shareholders approve the sale of the project to Ottawa with 99% support less than an hour after the ruling

CALGARY — The Federal Court of Appeal dealt the Trans Mountain expansion project a major setback Thursday, ruling the government of Canada had not fulfilled its duty to consult with First Nations on the pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia.

The decision means the National Energy Board will have to redo its review of Kinder Morgan Canada’s project. In a written decision, the court says the energy board’s review was so flawed that the federal government could not rely on it as a basis for its decision to approve the expansion.

The court also concludes that the federal government failed in its duty to engage in meaningful consultations with First Nations before giving the green light to the project. That decision means the government will have to redo part of its consultations with Indigenous groups.

The judge wrote that “the consultation framework selected by Canada was reasonable and sufficient. If Canada properly executed it, Canada would have discharged its duty to consult.”

“However, based on the totality of the evidence I conclude that Canada failed in Phase III to engage, dialogue meaningfully and grapple with the concerns expressed to it in good faith by the Indigenous applicants so as to explore possible accommodation of these concerns,” the ruling states. See the full court document below.

The Trans Mountain expansion would add shipments of 590,000 barrels of oil per day from Alberta to British Columbia by twinning an existing pipeline at an expected cost of $7.4 billion.

Kinder Morgan, which continues to own the pipeline until its sale to the federal government closes, has released potential cases that could cause the project’s price tag to rise to either $8.4 billion or $9.3 billion depending on construction schedules.

Protesters opposed to the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain pipeline extension defy a court order and block an entrance to the company’s property in April. Canadian Press/Darryl Dyck

Kinder Morgan shareholders approved the sale of the pipeline with more than 99 per cent support Thursday, less than an hour after the federal government learned the pipeline construction permits had been quashed.

“No matter who owns this pipeline and tanker project, it will be stopped,” president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs and Grand Chief Stewart Phillip said in a release.

“Kinder Morgan executives recognized Justin Trudeau’s desperation to placate the oil lobby and are exiting the project with massive profits on the backs of Canadian taxpayers,” he said.

Data from the Angus Reid Institute shows that Canada-wide support for the construction of the Trans Mountain expansion project has grown steadily over the course of the year — from 49 per cent of respondents in favour of the pipeline in February to 57 per cent in June.

Similarly, the number of respondents saying they opposed the project dropped from 33 per cent to 26 per cent over the same time period.

Angus Reid also found in June that 56 per cent of respondents in British Columbia said they opposed their provincial government’s attempts to block the pipeline project from being built.

An aerial view of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain marine terminal, in Burnaby, B.C. Canadian Press/Jonathan Hayward

Cabinet approved the Trans Mountain expansion on November 29, 2016, after the NEB suggested that project proponent Kinder Morgan had met its duty to consult.

The Federal Court decision will effectively compel the NEB to repeat the third phase of its consultation process, which it carried out between February and November, 2016.

The NEB has not taken marine traffic implications into account in its prior decisions.

The regulator had argued that “since marine shipping was beyond its regulatory authority, it did not have the ability to impose specific mitigation conditions to address environmental effects” of increased marine traffic, Dawson wrote in her remarks.

In recent years the NEB has been hobbled by broader questions about what should be the scope of its approval process. Last year, TransCanada Corp. halted its Energy East project after the NEB unexpectedly announced it would include downstream emissions in its environmental review of the pipeline.

With files from Financial Post’s Jesse Snyder, Calgary Herald’s Amanda Stephenson and Canadian Press

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJ_Soul said:
    I came here fully expecting that this would be the big conversation of the day already!

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/trans-mountain-pipeline-approval-quashed-by-court

Trans Mountain pipeline approval quashed by court

Kinder Morgan shareholders approve the sale of the project to Ottawa with 99% support less than an hour after the ruling

CALGARY — The Federal Court of Appeal dealt the Trans Mountain expansion project a major setback Thursday, ruling the government of Canada had not fulfilled its duty to consult with First Nations on the pipeline from Alberta to British Columbia.

The decision means the National Energy Board will have to redo its review of Kinder Morgan Canada’s project. In a written decision, the court says the energy board’s review was so flawed that the federal government could not rely on it as a basis for its decision to approve the expansion.

The court also concludes that the federal government failed in its duty to engage in meaningful consultations with First Nations before giving the green light to the project. That decision means the government will have to redo part of its consultations with Indigenous groups.

The judge wrote that “the consultation framework selected by Canada was reasonable and sufficient. If Canada properly executed it, Canada would have discharged its duty to consult.”

“However, based on the totality of the evidence I conclude that Canada failed in Phase III to engage, dialogue meaningfully and grapple with the concerns expressed to it in good faith by the Indigenous applicants so as to explore possible accommodation of these concerns,” the ruling states. See the full court document below.

The Trans Mountain expansion would add shipments of 590,000 barrels of oil per day from Alberta to British Columbia by twinning an existing pipeline at an expected cost of $7.4 billion.

Kinder Morgan, which continues to own the pipeline until its sale to the federal government closes, has released potential cases that could cause the project’s price tag to rise to either $8.4 billion or $9.3 billion depending on construction schedules.

Protesters opposed to the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain pipeline extension defy a court order and block an entrance to the company’s property in April. Canadian Press/Darryl Dyck

Kinder Morgan shareholders approved the sale of the pipeline with more than 99 per cent support Thursday, less than an hour after the federal government learned the pipeline construction permits had been quashed.

“No matter who owns this pipeline and tanker project, it will be stopped,” president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs and Grand Chief Stewart Phillip said in a release.

“Kinder Morgan executives recognized Justin Trudeau’s desperation to placate the oil lobby and are exiting the project with massive profits on the backs of Canadian taxpayers,” he said.

Data from the Angus Reid Institute shows that Canada-wide support for the construction of the Trans Mountain expansion project has grown steadily over the course of the year — from 49 per cent of respondents in favour of the pipeline in February to 57 per cent in June.

Similarly, the number of respondents saying they opposed the project dropped from 33 per cent to 26 per cent over the same time period.

Angus Reid also found in June that 56 per cent of respondents in British Columbia said they opposed their provincial government’s attempts to block the pipeline project from being built.

An aerial view of Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain marine terminal, in Burnaby, B.C. Canadian Press/Jonathan Hayward

Cabinet approved the Trans Mountain expansion on November 29, 2016, after the NEB suggested that project proponent Kinder Morgan had met its duty to consult.

The Federal Court decision will effectively compel the NEB to repeat the third phase of its consultation process, which it carried out between February and November, 2016.

The NEB has not taken marine traffic implications into account in its prior decisions.

The regulator had argued that “since marine shipping was beyond its regulatory authority, it did not have the ability to impose specific mitigation conditions to address environmental effects” of increased marine traffic, Dawson wrote in her remarks.

In recent years the NEB has been hobbled by broader questions about what should be the scope of its approval process. Last year, TransCanada Corp. halted its Energy East project after the NEB unexpectedly announced it would include downstream emissions in its environmental review of the pipeline.

With files from Financial Post’s Jesse Snyder, Calgary Herald’s Amanda Stephenson and Canadian Press

And not surprisingly KM voted 99% to allow us to buy this.  There's a few billion well spent!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    I remember everyone going off about this problem with the consultations; I and I think everyone else against the pipeline kept asking "but what about this?!" .... and it was all completely ignored by the Feds and by the Alberta government. Ignored at best. Some actually scoffed. I guess they all figured this appeal would fail??? Or, maybe more likely, didn't and still don't care because they feel confident they can bulldoze through any court rulings against it one way or the other.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Canada, U.S. planning all-night NAFTA negotiations as optimism for a deal grows

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-nafta-lighthizer-washington-1.4802992

It appears that negotiators are working hard to get a deal.  I am optimistic for a deal.  No deal and tariffs placed on our sector would be bad...
    This is my hope too.  Doesn't change that fact that none of this should be happening to begin with and giving into the miscreant really rubs me the wrong way.  I am considerate enough of our hard working citizens to take a hit for them and keep the paychecks coming
    Really hope we don't open up our markets to their milk and meats at the expense and detriment of our farmers.  Supply management is a national security issue as far as I'm concerned.  Doing anything that kills farming in this era of climate upheaval seems foolish.   Not to mention the science experiment the US food system is...I wont buy it.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    Thanks to all for your advice and support on the other posts.....
    Back to Canada....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Good grief ... budgets balance themselves, maybe trade negotiate themselves and maybe pipelines build themselves ... oh yeah, veterans are more than we can give ... always got money to bail out corporations.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    'It is a crisis': Notley says she's pulling Alberta out of federal climate plan

https://nationalpost.com/news/cp-newsalert-notley-pulling-alberta-out-of-federal-climate-plan?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1535676391

We have a crisis with the pipeline, crisis with NAFTA ... Can PM Fluff handle 2 crisis at once...not counting on it.

Give Peas A Chance…
    Edmonton security guard who kicked man to death says he was 'involuntarily celibate,' frustrated with
    work
    https://nationalpost.com/news/crime/security-guard-who-kicked-man-to-death-says-he-was-involuntarily-celibate/wcm/dc78e759-eb3a-46ad-bef2-a04ac664e356

... 4 fucking years, what fucking joke...
    Give Peas A Chance…

On a side note ... it's enjoyable watching the leftist Notley, whatever the name that call the leftist running BC GRNDP (is that the party name running BC) and of course PM Fluff ... LMFAO ... good shit, taking some of the boredom out of Canadian Politics...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Notley says turning off the pipeline that supplies BC is now a possibility.  She threatened East as well ...  What.  Let the oil and us in Ontario turn it off a the Quebec border ... lol.  Her fight is with BC and Quebec farther East ...

Pretty sure Sask, Man and Ontario are fine with pipelines...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Edmonton security guard who kicked man to death says he was 'involuntarily celibate,' frustrated with
    work
    https://nationalpost.com/news/crime/security-guard-who-kicked-man-to-death-says-he-was-involuntarily-celibate/wcm/dc78e759-eb3a-46ad-bef2-a04ac664e356

yup. 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    work

yup. 
    Pretty sad that unelected judges only think a mans life is worth 4 years ... a homeless man at that, wonder if that played into the judges decision ... I'd hope not, but then again...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Good grief ... budgets balance themselves, maybe trade negotiate themselves and maybe pipelines build themselves ... oh yeah, veterans are more than we can give ... always got money to bail out corporations.
    what a mess.  I hope the f'k JT don't turn down ol newfie when they come a asking for fed help on muskrat falls.... but I'm sure as hell he'll turn his back on us.  He's gone next election.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    work

yup. 
    Pretty sad that unelected judges only think a mans life is worth 4 years ... a homeless man at that, wonder if that played into the judges decision ... I'd hope not, but then again...
    regardless of anyone's mental state, position in life, taking a life should never ever receive such a sentence.   How many, that's a good question, but hell.. 4yrs? wtf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Does anyone really think that electing judges is the way to go? Just look at the mess that is the judicial system in the US. Electing judges simply makes yet another space for completely partisan pandering for votes. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Nami said:
    Nami said:
    work

yup. 
    regardless of anyone's mental state, position in life, taking a life should never ever receive such a sentence.   How many, that's a good question, but hell.. 4yrs? wtf
    I agree totally.  Locally where I live a drunk driver who ran a stop sign and killed a husband and wife just got 4 years.  DUI where there is death should be treated as murder, only a fool drives under the influence In 2019.  First time DUI should be a 5 year driving ban.  A second DUI and DUI after that should be jail time...

No rehab ... these assholes use rehab as a means to get reduced charges...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    So President miscreant says he wont negotiate at all with us.  We have to take a deal on his terms.  He even laments the restraint of not being able to kill us.
    I'm sorry but this has gone to far.  Walk out of negotiations and watch his own greedy Republican party tear him a new butt hole.  There is too much at stake to kill NAFTA.  That report out of the star gave us all the ammo we need to say....we want to make a deal but the miscreant wont bargain.  Just keep saying we want to but we can't just give away the farm.  
    This will never end in the death of NAFTA.  Way to much money being made on both sides.  The miscreant will be put in his place over this.  Does anyone really believe the US Congress and Senate will kill NAFTA for the miscreant.  He's a sinking ship.  
    If NAFTA does die.  Pipelines get built pronto.  They head east west and any direction other than south.

Oh and a post script for Mexico
    F you too.  You say you prefer Canada is in but would make a deal without us

All of this goes to my Hope's and dreams that we begin the process of building a NLRB economy here at home.  No more profits for miscreants.  Healthy happy productive lives for all Canadians not shrouded under the world wasting system of the miscreants.....Capitalism.
    Does anyone really think that electing judges is the way to go? Just look at the mess that is the judicial system in the US. Electing judges simply makes yet another space for completely partisan pandering for votes. 
    Well allowing politicians to appointing judges gets us judges that treat murder like it's no bid deal.  What ever, set up an independent panel that appoints judges that are completely untouchable by politicians and where politician have no influence.  You really trust Trudeau at this point, the guy is one clusterfuck after enough.  Either way there needs to be a better way.  Or pass hard sentencing laws...but once again PM Fluff would never do that, he pays off terrorist, then looks at military vet missing one leg, and tells him "you are asking more than we can give".  Real good leadership...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That so called terrorist was a 14 year old child and watched his father and family members blown up by the US war machine.  He was brainwashed.  I you and anyone else would have thrown that grenade.
    That child was then held illegally.  He is a Canadian citizen.  His Conservative government at the time did nothing to protect his rights.  He should have been given 50 million.
    As for our soldiers.  Let that be a lesson to the next generation.  They are not appreciated or respected or cared about...so don't serve the miscreants
    Well allowing politicians to appointing judges gets us judges that treat murder like it's no bid deal.  What ever, set up an independent panel that appoints judges that are completely untouchable by politicians and where politician have no influence.  You really trust Trudeau at this point, the guy is one clusterfuck after enough.  Either way there needs to be a better way.  Or pass hard sentencing laws...but once again PM Fluff would never do that, he pays off terrorist, then looks at military vet missing one leg, and tells him "you are asking more than we can give".  Real good leadership...

Trudeau didn't appoint this judge, or any other provincial court judge. The PM is only involved in Chief Justice appointments. You'll have to find some other reason to complain about him, but that's clearly not going to be a problem for you. 

In fact, this is the procedure in Ontario:

Ontario Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee[edit]

In Ontario, the Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee (JAAC) is made up of 13 members: 7 lay members, 2 judges, 1 member appointed by the Ontario Judicial Council, and 3 from the legal community.[2] JAAC recommends a list of 3 or 4 candidates, far less than its federal counterpart.[3] Proponents of the system argue that this procedure has limited patronage appoints to Ontario courts, and has diversified the makeup of judges in the province.[3] Unlike other committees, the JAAC advertises openings and interviews candidates in person.[4]

TalonTedd said:
    So President miscreant says he wont negotiate at all with us.  We have to take a deal on his terms.  He even laments the restraint of not being able to kill us.
    I'm sorry but this has gone to far.  Walk out of negotiations and watch his own greedy Republican party tear him a new butt hole.  There is too much at stake to kill NAFTA.  That report out of the star gave us all the ammo we need to say....we want to make a deal but the miscreant wont bargain.  Just keep saying we want to but we can't just give away the farm.  
    This will never end in the death of NAFTA.  Way to much money being made on both sides.  The miscreant will be put in his place over this.  Does anyone really believe the US Congress and Senate will kill NAFTA for the miscreant.  He's a sinking ship.  
    I agree that Congress won't let it fly. I think we should just walk away and wait it out. 
    TalonTedd said:
    I thought they were still negotiating...have the talks broken down?

Hate to say it, the auto would have no problem relocating to US and Mexico ....if PM Fluff thinks for 1 minute that the auto gives a rats ass about Canada, he is once again sadly mistaken.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Trudeau didn't appoint this judge, or any other provincial court judge. The PM is only involved in Chief Justice appointments. You'll have to find some other reason to complain about him, but that's clearly not going to be a problem for you. 

In Ontario, the Judicial Appointments Advisory Committee (JAAC) is made up of 13 members: 7 lay members, 2 judges, 1 member appointed by the Ontario Judicial Council, and 3 from the legal community.[2] JAAC recommends a list of 3 or 4 candidates, far less than its federal counterpart.[3] Proponents of the system argue that this procedure has limited patronage appoints to Ontario courts, and has diversified the makeup of judges in the province.[3] Unlike other committees, the JAAC advertises openings and interviews candidates in person.[4]

They need a better process to select judges.  He does have control over sentencing guidelines through legislation...but a liberal getting tough crime...LMFAO.  If NAFTA dies over the dairy industry and tariffs are slapped on Autos then it won't matter ... he'll be voted out next year anyways.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    TalonTedd said:
    As for our soldiers.  Let that be a lesson to the next generation.  They are not appreciated or respected or cared about...so don't serve the miscreants
    I agree.  Don't serve.  To the ones who are serving, don't volunteer for pointless overseas mission...they need to take a stand.

I do not see any need for us to be involved in any overseas missions anymore.
    Give Peas A Chance…

They need a better process to select judges.  He does have control over sentencing guidelines through legislation...but a liberal getting tough crime...LMFAO.  If NAFTA dies over the dairy industry and tariffs are slapped on Autos then it won't matter ... he'll be voted out next year anyways.
    Show me your evidence that getting “tough on crime” improves public safety by measures such as reducing recidivism rates. 

I’m also curious why someone who hates politicians and wants to get politics out of the legal system can then think the solution is to make judges into politicians. 
    I’m also curious why someone who hates politicians and wants to get politics out of the legal system can then think the solution is to make judges into politicians. 
    Where has anyone said they want politicians picking Judes...Doesn't matter who you have if the politicians had the balls to actually pass tough laws...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Show me your evidence that getting “tough on crime” improves public safety by measures such as reducing recidivism rates. 

Yes we should let all murderers walk free after 4 years ... what the fuck am I thinking.
    Give Peas A Chance…