PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited July 2018
    I have a tough time watching them.  Not fun for a 1st place team, outside of Nola and Hoskins. Like the Efflin dude too, but yeah, kinda boring team.  Want to watch them but when not watching the Yanks, find myself switching from the Phillies to some other game.
    Wrong thread, but I'm not bumping the eagles thread  Not sure he has anything left but gotta kinda suck seeing Barwin in Giants gear.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited July 2018

^

All of their games seem to be 3 and a half hours+ long. Lots of walks, lots of guys batting under .250. Their approach at the plate has been fantastic but all of the deep counts have really stretched these games out so long.

Could be more exciting offensively, but I think Kapler's doing a good job of squeezing every ounce of talent out of these guys so far.

chinese-happy.jpg
    Wrong thread, but I'm not bumping the eagles thread  Not sure he has anything left but gotta kinda suck seeing Barwin in Giants gear.

If they were not DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS, you might have a point.
    chinese-happy.jpg

^

All of their games seem to be 3 and a half hours long. Their approach at the plate has been fantastic but all of the deep counts have really stretched these games out so long.

Could be more exciting offensively, but I think Kapler's doing a good job of squeezing every ounce of talent out of these guys so far.

You know I like big on base long at bats!  Universal DH!  But yeah.

Kapler has clearly done a great job.  Assumed their pythagorean was closer to .500 and looked it up and yeah, 4 games over.  Kapler has done a good job.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited July 2018

If they were not DEFENDING SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS, you might have a point.
    Correct answer right there.

EDIT: Also, it's comical how little I care about football now that they finally won.
    Saw that coming and walked into it.  Still gotta be kinda gross.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

^

All of their games seem to be 3 and a half hours+ long. Lots of walks, lots of guys batting under .250. Their approach at the plate has been fantastic but all of the deep counts have really stretched these games out so long.

Welcome to today's launch angle baseball.  Nothing but Ks, Walks and Home Runs. 

Not sure how this team is 1st place short of they just don't go on losing streaks.  Because of their starting pitching they manage to be in almost very game.  they can't really hit and they can't field a lick. bullpen numbers look good but they don't seem all that good outside of Dominguez.  Their catchers can't catch.  The bench as it is currently constituted is awful.  The amazing thing is they have a better record at this point than the 2008 World Series champs did and that team had way more talent.  They compete though and stay with games even when they get down.  Could do without the american league length of the games but winning is always good.  Hope they can keep it going.

still fairly lukewarm on Kapler.  It's not like anyone had a huge jump this season.

edited July 2018
    pjhawks said:

^

Not sure how this team is 1st place short of they just don't go on losing streaks.  Because of their starting pitching they manage to be in almost very game.  they can't really hit and they can't field a lick. bullpen numbers look good but they don't seem all that good outside of Dominguez.  Their catchers can't catch.  The bench as it is currently constituted is awful.  The amazing thing is they have a better record at this point than the 2008 World Series champs did and that team had way more talent.  They compete though and stay with games even when they get down.  Could do without the american league length of the games but winning is always good.  Hope they can keep it going.

still fairly lukewarm on Kapler.  It's not like anyone had a huge jump this season.

Still lukewarm on the manager despite all the things you mentioned there?

He is pushing all the right buttons—like batting Knapp leadoff today. Unconventional, but if you look deeper, he’s been getting on base at a.380 clip his last 30 games. Moves like this have helped put guys in position to succeed. Obviously, Gabe is pushing their approach at the plate too and that’s getting a ton of production out of a team who really isn’t hitting the ball that well as a whole.  But good things happen when you get on base.

Imagine what things will be like next year with more pop in the lineup. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Eduardo Escobar would be a decent pick up
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:

^

He is pushing all the right buttons—like batting Knapp leadoff today. Unconventional, but if you look deeper, he’s been getting on base at a.380 clip his last 30 games. Moves like this have helped put guys in position to succeed. Obviously, Gabe is pushing their approach at the plate too and that’s getting a ton of production out of a team who really isn’t hitting the ball that well as a whole.  But good things happen when you get on base.

Yes. they are winning because of the starting pitching mostly.  Other than Eflin and Pivetta has anyone had a year better than their norm under Kapler?  and those two guys have been hot at times and just so-so at other times.  Most of the offensive players have been worse.  The one thing I will give Kapler credit for is a positive attitude.  he is annoying positive but I think that has rubbed off on the team some.  so yes still lukewarm.  And remember your boy Chip Kelly even had one good year to start and we know how that turned out.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

Yes. they are winning because of the starting pitching mostly.  Other than Eflin and Pivetta has anyone had a year better than their norm under Kapler?  and those two guys have been hot at times and just so-so at other times.  Most of the offensive players have been worse.  The one thing I will give Kapler credit for is a positive attitude.  he is annoying positive but I think that has rubbed off on the team some.  so yes still lukewarm.  And remember your boy Chip Kelly even had one good year to start and we know how that turned out.

Well this is the youngest team in baseball so, with most of these guys, there isn't much of a track record to talk about career years and stuff but let's look at how the lineup is performing:

You've only got 2 veterans. 

Hernandez-having a typical year for him. OBP has been around career high all season.

Santana-- average is well below his norm but he's had a ton of bad luck...despite that he is among the league leaders in walks and is second on team in run scored. Guy gets on base with the best of them. Being able to still get that kind of production despite the avg speaks to the kind of approach at the plate Gabe is preaching. I'd expect ave comes up close to his career numbers by end of year.

But it's really about the development of the younger guys:

Odubel--having a typical good Odubel year so far. Best hr numbers for his young career.  

Rhys is mashing the ball and has a .360 OBP. Very happy with his development. I think he's going to be a stud for the next 10 plus years. Been better than expected in left too.

Nick Williams has shown improvement with his approach--walking more, striking out less. I don't want them to trade for another outfielder. Heard Adam Jones' name today. I'd rather they keep him out there to see how he does down the stretch in a pennant race.

Alfaro was extremely raw when they traded for him and was out of minor league options this year so they had no choice but to see him sink or swim at the major league level and I'm pretty happy with his progress so far. His throwing guys out at a good clip but still very raw back there. Some glimpses of what he can do offensively.

Kingery--still so young. Would've liked to have seen more offensively thus far and defense has been rough. He's in a tough spot not being able to play second. Hitting.256 last 30 games.

Franco--he's having his best season since his rookie year. Bad start but he's really come on the last 6 weeks or so.

Nola is an all star and clearly having a career year.

Velazquez is finally putting together long stretches of quality starts for the first time in his career, really.

Bullpen--I don't think he could have used them any better than he has. Sir Anthony's been a revelation. As a whole after a horrible month plus, they've really righted the ship. Gotta give manager some credit there.

I don't get the Chip comparison people like to make. Chip was trying out new and different techniques in football and it worked for a couple years. Things went south when he was given too much power in his third year. Difference here is Gabe is doing things most of baseball has been doing for years. And it's working so far. Probably will be in the manager of the year consideration if they keep this up.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I'm loving this team. Kinda has a feel of those first few years when Larry Bowa was the manager. Just finding ways to win. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

Well this is the youngest team in baseball so, with most of these guys, there isn't much of a track record to talk about career years and stuff but let's look at how the lineup is performing:

Hernandez-having a typical year for him. OBP has been around career high all season.

Santana-- average is well below his norm but he's had a ton of bad luck...despite that he is among the league leaders in walks and is second on team in run scored. Guy gets on base with the best of them. Being able to still get that kind of production despite the avg speaks to the kind of approach at the plate Gabe is preaching. I'd expect ave comes up close to his career numbers by end of year.

Odubel--having a typical good Odubel year so far. Best hr numbers for his young career.  

Rhys is mashing the ball and has a .360 OBP. Very happy with his development. I think he's going to be a stud for the next 10 plus years. Been better than expected in left too.

Nick Williams has shown improvement with his approach--walking more, striking out less. I don't want them to trade for another outfielder. Heard Adam Jones' name today. I'd rather they keep him out there to see how he does down the stretch in a pennant race.

Alfaro was extremely raw when they traded for him and was out of minor league options this year so they had no choice but to see him sink or swim at the major league level and I'm pretty happy with his progress so far. His throwing guys out at a good clip but still very raw back there. Some glimpses of what he can do offensively.

Kingery--still so young. Would've liked to have seen more offensively thus far and defense has been rough. He's in a tough spot not being able to play second. Hitting.256 last 30 games.

Franco--he's having his best season since his rookie year. Bad start but he's really come on the last 6 weeks or so.

Velazquez is finally putting together long stretches of quality starts for the first time in his career, really.

Bullpen--I don't think he could have used them any better than he has. Sir Anthony's been a revelation. As a whole after a horrible month plus, they've really righted the ship. Gotta give manager some credit there.

I don't get the Chip comparison people like to make. Chip was trying out new and different techniques in football and it worked for a couple years. Things went south when he was given too much power in his third year. Difference here is Gabe is doing things most of baseball has been doing for years. And it's working so far. Probably will be in the manager of the year consideration if they keep this up.

If they win the division then he definitely wins manager of the year. There's no way he doesn't. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    I'm loving this team. Kinda has a feel of those first few years when Larry Bowa was the manager. Just finding ways to win. 

Yeah pitching has been outstanding, offense is pretty solid.   Only thing that worries me is their defense.  Three errors today and I think they are second worst behind St. Louis in errors.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nice series win. every time I tell myself this team can't hit, they pull something out of their asses.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

Bold statement of Rhys. Chase Utley wasn't a stud for 10 plus years.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Reds up next.  Totally different feel than the first series between these two teams early in the season.  Reds are down 2 outfielders but have been continuing to fight, taking two of three from hated Cardinals.  
    Happy I get to watch the games vs Phils...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

You're correct, he's been a stud for 39+ years.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

HOF Induction is slated for 2040.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljAOgWK8NOI
    Machado who?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Machado who?
    Bruh...of all people you can't...
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    These guys are fucking smashing the ball off the Reds. This is great. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    These guys are fucking smashing the ball off the Reds. This is great. 
    Most hrs in a game since ‘98...of all years 

2.5 up on Bravos
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Reds pitching....ugggh.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljAOgWK8NOI
    Well played and very accurate.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Got tickets to this yesterday. That’s quite the lineup

chinese-happy.jpg
    Quinn getting called up. Seems like he's been around a long time.
    The Juggler said:
    Got tickets to this yesterday. That’s quite the lineup

Still debating on going. I have tix to the Eagles practice that night.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    I've been hoping Quinn could stay healthy. I've always liked his tools, and thought he'd be the breakout star on this team but just could never put it all together with the injuries.