Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,788
    Talking Heads/Bowie ish.....

FUCK YES

They’re finally getting weird again
    Took long enough! The Talking Heads comparison isn't just the music, his cadence is very David Byrne-esque.

Biggest difference in their sound since You Are. Love it.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298

FUCK YES

Took long enough! The Talking Heads comparison isn't just the music, his cadence is very David Byrne-esque.

Yeah. Was never a fan of that one though, but I see the similarity. 

I think it's their riskiest single since Who You Are and the fact that they're willing to take a risk like this 30 years in is great news for us. Like it's not just a random song buried on the album---they made it the fucking single. That's awesome.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

FUCK YES

The cadence is right there on Byrne.   All fucking in on this.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Guess I am the outlier with being a rock sound guy. 
    Like I said, maybe it will grow on me.  Perhaps I will love it live.
    Or, it could be another Parachutes, Yellow Moon, or Bee Girl...where I can press 'skip' or think about something else.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

FUCK YES

Yeah. Was never a fan of that one though, but I see the similarity. 

I think it's their riskiest single since Who You Are and the fact that they're willing to take a risk like this 30 years in is great news for us. Like it's not just a random song buried on the album---they made it the fucking single. That's awesome.
    If they were taking risks at six years in, they absolutely should be taking more risks at 30 years in. There should be no one left to play for other than themselves. I hope the whole fucking thing is even weirder.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480

FUCK YES

you’re weird.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    I'm digging the new single.  it's way different and not sure it will translate to well live but at least it's not a copy formula rocker like pretty much most of Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  the end drags a bit but overall i like it. 
  • Options
    I'm here for the You Are --> DOFTC transitions all day at shows.
  • Options
    So my real life friends/family PJ fans don’t seem too thrilled with this one...

Curious what you guys are hearing from people? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I don't really think it's a song for casual fans. Sent it to a few people and haven't really heard anything back yet.
  • Options
    My brother replied to me by sending a clip of Not For You and saying that’s what they should sound like. 

Sadly, the irony was lost on him. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm gonna guess most people won't like it. Which is just a big O-K for me. I'm trying to get this band to lop off a lot of its fanbase so they're only playing like The Tower or some shit. So more weird shit to turn people off please!

• Options
    I'm gonna guess most people won't like it. Which is just a big O-K for me. I'm trying to get this band to lop off a lot of its fanbase so they're only playing like The Tower or some shit. So more weird shit to turn people off please!

Haha
    On a smaller scale, I think this might do what No Code did. Also think if enough people hear it, it might bring in some new people too
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    The video has cool images.

Trying to think of positive things to say....but it is (easily) a minute too long and I think the way EV signs/phrases is just not going to hit it for me.  Boring.  "I know that girls wanna dance" - is that wtf he is singing at the end?
    It will go well with the bore they have opening for them -- the good news it is 1 song and it might be great live. 

Hope everyone loves it - I grew bored (quickly) with how everyone shit on the last few records. 
  • Options

Trying to think of positive things to say....but it is (easily) a minute too long and I think the way EV signs/phrases is just not going to hit it for me.  Boring.  "I know that girls wanna dance" - is that wtf he is singing at the end?
    It will go well with the bore they have opening for them -- the good news it is 1 song and it might be great live. 

Hope everyone loves it - I grew bored (quickly) with how everyone shit on the last few records. 
    I’m afraid they might be No Coding you, my friend...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I’m afraid they might be No Coding you, my friend...

I love No Code, I am down.  (Loved it when it came out.)
  • Options

But don't you also like the last album? So your opinion on this might be moot haha.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480

But don't you also like the last album? So your opinion on this might be moot haha.
    F’me liked BS, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204

I'd rather have them do something weird then give us another Let the Records Play (one of the two or three worst songs they've put out), Sirens, or The Fixer. We have enough middling rockers from this band.  I hope the whole record is like this but i'm not that hopeful that we won't be getting more of those middling rockers.  
  • Options
    Can I close my eyes, sway from side to side, and mumble about chicks and dicks?  How high do you have to be to like the last 1/4 of the song? 

(I wish I still smoked!)

I do.  As Troll-ey-Wobbie-Wob pointed out, I liked the last two records.

Agree that they had weak songs -- Yellow Moon, for fuck's sake! 

I bet I still like this record, it would be a first if I didn't like the whole thing.  I even have some love for Riot Act.
    I'm a rocker.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

F’me liked BS, too.
    He’s being Gigatoned right on out of here

haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So here's my minor rant of all things PJ albums, whether you like it or not.

Backspacer and Lightning Bolt might as well be the same album. Quiz me and there's a good chance I'll think a song from one was on the other. Here's my takes on all their albums in one sentence along with my own personal rankings:

10)Lightning Bolt
    9) Backspacer
    8) Riot Act
    7) Ten
    6) Binaural
    5) Avocado 
    4) Vs.
    3) Vitalogy 
    2) No Code
    #1 yay) Yield

Ten: right out the gate they're instant classics. Anything going forward will be a gigantic disappointment to the general public en masse.

Vs.:  I don't think you can follow up Ten much better (pop hits, overall strength of the album), and using up everything in their arsenal of before they were all a band together, while also starting to deviate to something that would ultimately become..

Vitalogy:  this is where Pearl Jam finds their Pearl Jam "sound" to me.

No Code: Where PJ further refines that sounds and completely says fuck it.

Yield: Put Vitalogy and No Code together and this is what you get when it's mastered.

Binaural: They're bored and want to continue to do what they want but they need to take a bit of a break

Riot Act: I believe it was "only" 2 years between albums here, but it seemed like a lifetime at the time. Too much time doing other things, captured the 'W' times pretty well; could combine this with Binaural, though Binaural's overall sound is better.

Avocado: Way too long of a wait between albums (only surpassed by now), a "needed" return to an overall rock and/or roll sound.

Backspacer: Trying to take that "needed" rock sound and put in some pop-punk mix

Lightning Bolt: Looking to stay in the pop lane way too late in life here.

Now, I celebrate the guys' entire catalog but most of their clunkers have been lately (see: Ole', Of the Earth, Sirens, Unthought Known....I know, some of these aren't even on these albums, and sorry if you may like these songs. I, in fact, do not), and this is why this song has been a solid breath of fresh air today in both creativity and sound. 
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    JP--we're usually pretty much on the same page with this stuff. Here's my rankings today. Sometimes I flip flop between 4 and 5 and 6 and 7. Number 167 (or 10, just feels that much lower) is always that far down. I liked, didn't love LB. But Backspacer is trash. Hawks mentioned LTRP earlier. I will openly boo them if I hear that opening riff at my next show. Both of the last two are significantly below Avocado though. 

1 Yield
    2 No Code
    3 Vitalogy
    4 Ten
    5 Vs
    6 Riot Act
    7 Binaural
    8 Avocado
    9- Lightning Bolt
    167- Backspacer

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Haven't done this in a while, the top 5 never change but the order can change drastically depending on what I have been listening to more from the boots.

1.  No Code
    2.  Ten
    3.  Yield
    4.  Vs.
    5.  Vitalogy
    6.  Avocado
    7. Backspacer
    8.  Lightning Bolt
    9.  Binaural
    10.  Riot Act

Backspacer hit at the right time (or wrong time) in my life.  Death, or the inexorable march toward death, brings some changes - this album was the biggest of those times in my life and has a special place.  Are there some draggers?  Yep.
    When it all shakes out, I love the bottom 4 records there....but they don't touch the top 6.  I could swap 8-9-10 all day long.  I think 6-7 are the only two that stay put in my rankings, these days.
    And, as much as I like Avocado, there is a mile of a gap between it and the First 5, for me.

• Options
    I don't have a full ranking but very much agree with F Me's top 5, though not necessarily the order.
  • Options
    I don't have a full ranking but very much agree with F Me's top 5, though not necessarily the order.

Order changes so frequently - those are frigging masterpieces.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I should put Ten higher, but I just can't. There is no tread left on the tires in this brain to listen to that actual album anymore.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I should put Ten higher, but I just can't. There is no tread left on the tires in this brain to listen to that actual album anymore.

When I want to be a dork and look at shit song by song there is never a time where Ten doesnt win. 
    Like you (and most of us) I generally enjoy listening to other records more, now.  Sooooooooo many thousands of times listening to Ten!

Boots, mostly.

As a fellow Philly area 10C buddy would/did yell at a Flyers game:
    "Hey, Boots!"

• Options

When I want to be a dork and look at shit song by song there is never a time where Ten doesnt win.  
    This makes a lot of sense.