*** London, UK Fanviews Here 7/17/18 ***

Comments

• jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    Olivavu said:
    jrd said:
    kevtic said:

I don't know why they take them off you in the first place. 
    Not sure why this annoys me so much but it really does.

I asked why at the first London show and was told "It's because we need to count them" which sounds like bullsh*t to me, as if they're going to count them all while the show's going on and then hand them out afterwards.

I asked again last night and was told "because it's policy" which means nothing and I'd like to know WHY this is the 'policy'.

Doesn't every ticket have a bar code which they scan so tickets can't be re-used? So you automatically count them via the scanning process and surely that's done anyway!? Saw Paul Simon at Hyde Park last Sunday; same process there of bag check, body scanner, then ticket scan and... you just keep the whole ticket.

Might just email the O2 to see if I can get some sort of explanation. Or I might not because it's probably their policy not to discuss policies... ;)

Anyway, brilliant show, enjoyed it immensely. Sorry to hear about the trouble further forward but had no problems where we were, Mike's side but a few rows in front of the sound desk so well back from the idiots by the sound of it.

Totally forgot to get a ticket at the end so if anyone has a spare...

I think they take them off the GA so that they can't be given to people in seats to try and get down and in that way, but they're scanned so you'd think not based on that.

I always make sure I find someone to grab one after - and I always get them to give me a 10c stub as well.
    OK, so I emailed the O2 to ask if they could send me a ticket if they had any left and got a reply back a few mins later from 'Shanice' who said "I have popped a ticket in the post for you", which is nice.

I also asked why they take the tickets off you in the first place and she said
    It is venue policy to swap tickets for wristbands to prevent loss of tickets
    and as a result, no entry to the standing floor. Standing customers are also
    allowed on to the level one concourse to purchase food and drink so having
    an easily detectable wristband helps staff members who are manning that
    entry point provide a swift in and out operation stopping those who may be
    seated on level one from accessing the standing floor.
    So that's the reason.
    But why can't I get a wristband AND keep my ticket, assuming that once it's been scanned it can't be used again by anyone else to try and get on to the floor...?

Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
  • BellaBella Posts: 120
    Again I agree . Dance . Sing . Jump  clap all normal responses to.pearl jam. Not being a violent shit gibbon x100
    That’s what Pearl Jam fans want to do. Have a spot with like minded fans. We were behind the band in Kraków and had a good view of GA. There was one group who continually bounced around, no matter what the song was, clearly looking to start a mosh pit. 
    Arnhem'06 Paris'06 Wembley'07 Manchester'09 Dublin'10 Belfast '10 Manchester1 '12 Manchester2 '12 Stockholm '12 Vancouver '13
    Vienna Berlin Stockholm Leeds Milton Keynes '14 Philly 2 nights  '16 MSG 2 nights '16 EV Dublin '17 Amsterdam 1 
    Padova Rome Prague Kraków Berlin '18
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,831
    I've been lucky over the years I've never really had a complaint  so this is out of the norm for me. Over the years of queing/not gueing. Standing 8 rows back . Or rail I've met most and love most of the regular 10c euro show goers . And all are like minded on this
     Protection from shot gibbons  is what we all would like. As mentioned we wait in line as long as we can or wish to get a spot to sing and dance That s what we do  at gig isn't it?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • RC74272RC74272 Posts: 25
    jrd said:
    Olivavu said:
    jrd said:
    kevtic said:

I asked why at the first London show and was told "It's because we need to count them" which sounds like bullsh*t to me, as if they're going to count them all while the show's going on and then hand them out afterwards.

I asked again last night and was told "because it's policy" which means nothing and I'd like to know WHY this is the 'policy'.

Doesn't every ticket have a bar code which they scan so tickets can't be re-used? So you automatically count them via the scanning process and surely that's done anyway!? Saw Paul Simon at Hyde Park last Sunday; same process there of bag check, body scanner, then ticket scan and... you just keep the whole ticket.

Might just email the O2 to see if I can get some sort of explanation. Or I might not because it's probably their policy not to discuss policies... ;)

Anyway, brilliant show, enjoyed it immensely. Sorry to hear about the trouble further forward but had no problems where we were, Mike's side but a few rows in front of the sound desk so well back from the idiots by the sound of it.

I think they take them off the GA so that they can't be given to people in seats to try and get down and in that way, but they're scanned so you'd think not based on that.

I always make sure I find someone to grab one after - and I always get them to give me a 10c stub as well.
    OK, so I emailed the O2 to ask if they could send me a ticket if they had any left and got a reply back a few mins later from 'Shanice' who said "I have popped a ticket in the post for you", which is nice.

So that's the reason.
    But why can't I get a wristband AND keep my ticket, assuming that once it's been scanned it can't be used again by anyone else to try and get on to the floor...?

The ticket is only scanned on entry to the venue not he internal doors 

someone could come down from the nosebleed seats, grab a ticket stub lost on the floor outside the GA doors and use that to “upgrade” to standing

safety concerns being what they are the venue is limiting those “upgrading” as described
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,919
    RC74272 said:
    jrd said:
    Olivavu said:
    jrd said:
    kevtic said:

So that's the reason.

someone could come down from the nosebleed seats, grab a ticket stub lost on the floor outside the GA doors and use that to “upgrade” to standing

safety concerns being what they are the venue is limiting those “upgrading” as described
    Doesn't sound like a very common problem.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited July 2018
    I’m going to chime in one more time. Previously I said I thought security did their best but hearing about the rough handling of the family, I’ll take that back; didn’t seem at all necessary to be so violent to those folks. I saw them get pulled which looked rough but like they were trying to help, but did not witness what followed next.

lastly, I do think there can be a lot of elitism from some fans, and I also get people are going to, and should rock out the show, but a lot of what went on was tantamount to assault, which goes with out saying is not okay. 

I ran ran into another attendant on the way back to the states and she said from her spot in the lower bowl on Mike’s side that she was certain people had to be getting hurt by how rough it looked. She said guys would slam into people creating causing dominos. 

The sectioned GA in Padova was perfect. It was sometimes rowdy and a bit rough (for my wife), but was never out of hand. after the first set we moved to the back (she said she fine staying close but I knew she just wanted me to have the best experience, but as I wanted the same for her, I said, “let’s move back”), and had tons of room, a gentle breeze, and still a great view. 

I’ve gone through all my pics and video clips and this show and setlist are probably the best of my 22 shows; however, with crowd experience a part of the overall equation, it probably falls somewhere in the middle. I think a lot of potential memories are clouded by clamping on the rail, one arm on each side of the woman in front of me on the rail, so as not to be crushed into her, which took a hell of a lot of physical strength and mental concentration. 

That said, the most prominent memories are still of the show itself, but I think fewer than I would normally have. 

Love to everyone!
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • RC74272RC74272 Posts: 25
    RC74272 said:
    jrd said:
    Olivavu said:
    jrd said:
    kevtic said:

So that's the reason.

Doesn't sound like a very common problem

The venue wont take any chances of getting sued for negligence if there is any crowd safety issue because of over crowding in the standing areas

and it does happen - i have been at shepherds bush empire for lots of gigs where the level 1 door security take their leave mid gig and suddenly that level then gets overcrowded presumably with punters from levels 2 and 3 upgrading
  • js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    js261067 said:
    MR26603 said:
    Terrible  crowd and terrible venue security 
    For me the crowd was amazing in every way.
    How can one say that the crowd was amazing when Eddie himself had to ask to the crowd to take three steps back...
    he did that last time at the O2 and at Milton Keynes.  The crowd are at a rock concert,  not fucking church.
    You are pissing me off with this church bollocks. Let's see when it's you or your family. All well and good being a hard man on the computer  and at a gig when you don't care about anyone around you drunk and stupid.  Just respectfully understand  the point being made by people who had an experience different to yours.
    I think you fail to appreciate the full picture as your perception is blurred by your own bad experience and your own preconceived ideas.

I was seated BECAUSE I know that standing at  a rock concert can be a physical experience.  All the 10c members who have been to shows with better behaved fans etc,  need only to watch ANY festival coverage on TV to see how a UK crowd will behave at a rock concert.  It's not an inherent PJ thing,  or dickhead thing it's just how it goes down.

So,  you may not like it,  but it was quite obvious it was going to happen.  Weren't you at o2 last time?  or MK?  I wouldn't take my family into a GA area of ANY gig,  because of the drunken idiots.  But at least I'd have had the foresight to have seen it would be an issue.

I'm not digging at you or anyone on here,  but a lot of people won't give a shit how many gigs you've seen and just want to go mental to heavy songs.

Mike

edited July 2018
    js261067 said:
    js261067 said:
    MR26603 said:
    How can one say that the crowd was amazing when Eddie himself had to ask to the crowd to take three steps back...
    he did that last time at the O2 and at Milton Keynes.  The crowd are at a rock concert,  not fucking church.
    You are pissing me off with this church bollocks. Let's see when it's you or your family. All well and good being a hard man on the computer  and at a gig when you don't care about anyone around you drunk and stupid.  Just respectfully understand  the point being made by people who had an experience different to yours.
    I think you fail to appreciate the full picture as your perception is blurred by your own bad experience and your own preconceived ideas.

I was seated BECAUSE I know that standing at  a rock concert can be a physical experience.  All the 10c members who have been to shows with better behaved fans etc,  need only to watch ANY festival coverage on TV to see how a UK crowd will behave at a rock concert.  It's not an inherent PJ thing,  or dickhead thing it's just how it goes down.

So,  you may not like it,  but it was quite obvious it was going to happen.  Weren't you at o2 last time?  or MK?  I wouldn't take my family into a GA area of ANY gig,  because of the drunken idiots.  But at least I'd have had the foresight to have seen it would be an issue.

I'm not digging at you or anyone on here,  but a lot of people won't give a shit how many gigs you've seen and just want to go mental to heavy songs.

Mike

Yep I was at all of those  . G.A. and it's not about how many shows . It's what I'm saying . It's not people going mental. Forget it . You are not ĺistening.
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    js261067 said:
    js261067 said:
    MR26603 said:

Mike

Yep I was at all of those  . G.A.
    And why can t my partner go in G .A or my daughter she is 17 and taller than lots of men and women in there.  Your view is odd if anything
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

js261067 said:
    js261067 said:
    MR26603 said:

Mike

Yep I was at all of those  . G.A. and it's not about how many shows . It's what I'm saying . It's not people going mental. Forget it . You are not ĺistening.
    And at all 3 he asked the crowd to move backwards.  And people on here have commented at how bad those crowds were.

So,  why expect any different.  Just because we all love PJ and respect the band and crowd in equal measure,  doesn't mean other people will or to some extend "should".  If the norm at gigs is to push to the front,  barge,  crash and smash around,  those people wouldn't expect to act in any other way.  Hence my church comment.  We all stand in reverence,  they are just at "another gig"

Mike
    I’m going to chime in one more time. Previously I said I thought security did their best but hearing about the rough handling of the family, I’ll take that back; didn’t seem at all necessary to be so violent to those folks. I saw them get pulled which looked rough but like they were trying to help, but did not witness what followed next.

lastly, I do think there can be a lot of elitism from some fans, and I also get people are going to, and should rock out the show, but a lot of what went on was tantamount to assault, which goes with out saying is not okay. 

I ran ran into another attendant on the way back to the states and she said from her spot in the lower bowl on Mike’s side that she was certain people had to be getting hurt by how rough it looked. She said guys would slam into people creating causing dominos. 

The sectioned GA in Padova was perfect. It was sometimes rowdy and a bit rough (for my wife), but was never out of hand. after the first set we moved to the back (she said she fine staying close but I knew she just wanted me to have the best experience, but as I wanted the same for her, I said, “let’s move back”), and had tons of room, a gentle breeze, and still a great view. 

I’ve gone through all my pics and video clips and this show and setlist are probably the best of my 22 shows; however, with crowd experience a part of the overall equation, it probably falls somewhere in the middle. I think a lot of potential memories are clouded by clamping on the rail, one arm on each side of the woman in front of me on the rail, so as not to be crushed into her, which took a hell of a lot of physical strength and mental concentration. 

That said, the most prominent memories are still of the show itself, but I think fewer than I would normally have. 

Love to everyone!
    Great post and exactly  what I was meaning 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited July 2018
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Magic_JMagic_J Uk Posts: 28
    Yup, pretty much sums up how I feel about the gig, and PJ in general <3
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    edited July 2018
    rw160510 said:
    Had an absolute blast. This was my 12th show and It was a really good mix of hits and rarer choices. Never thought I'd catch Satan's Bed live, Mankind was good fun. I'd like to say a massive thank you to Jeremie @Tristelune for up grading my ticket, it was great to meet you and I hope we can catch up at another show in the future. From where we were sat the floor looked awesome but it was very obvious that Ed was concerned about the people up front, rightly so. Anyway, thanks to the band for playing the make up show so soon and making it such a fantastic experience.

@rw160510 It’s been a pleasure to meet you Rick, really made my day and I’m looking forward to meeting you again at another PJ show so we can continue to chat and share great moments. I feel sorry for those who had tough times in GA, while the 3 steps back made it obvious that something wasn’t right, it was definitely worse than I could imagine. The concert itself was outstanding, different mood than night 1 (great singing crowd here in june) but man almost 3 hours, fatal being played along with so many deep cuts and I couldn’t believe they got back after YLD for All along the watchtower, that was just awesome. I also loved hearing Green disease after the AMS attempt. Someone said the setlist made him think about Live at the garden, I really share this point of view. Wish the O2 had the same acoustic than the Ziggo dome though but I split hairs..
    Post edited by Tristelune on
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    I've you've put in the hours to get real close, adjusted your drinking routines so you won't have to go piss during the show, brought loved ones that you want to share an experience of a lifetime with.. Just to get it ruined within the first 30 minutes by drunken bafoons, who most likely won't even remember the show the next day..
    That's just not ok at all..! 

Think of the effort PJ puts into a show like this to make it special.. And all it takes are a bunch of careless drunks to ruin it for so many.. So sad

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,416
    jrd said:
    Olivavu said:
    jrd said:
    kevtic said:

So that's the reason.

That's what i was thinking when i was reading the response. "Wristband should be good enough and everyone should be able to keep ther tickets." Pretty simple to me.

SUCKS what some of you had to go through because of some drunken idiots in the crowd. I wasn't ther,but that set list looks like a GREAT one to me.

I wasn't GA in Berlin but ther were lots of moshing in the pit, but it was a "controlled" moshing.(If that makes sense). 
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    We were walking out after Yellow Ledbetter before they came back on to play Watchtower. 

I saw a guy jump over the barrier from his seat and on to the standing floor.

Three security guards grabbed him and made him go up the steps back to the seats.

I thought that was a bit mean given that the place has half full at that point and they weren’t going to keep playing after that song.
  • TC95917TC95917 Posts: 7
    Manchester, England (June 04, 2000)
    Leeds, England (August 25, 2006)
    Manchester, UK (June 21, 2012)
    Milton Keynes Bowl (July 11, 2014)
    London Show 2 (July 17, 2018)

edited July 2018
    Love the guitar light effect pictures.
    Post edited by TC95917 on

• SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    TC95917 said:
    Love this!!!
    Nature drunk and High
    I know I was made up when I see the picture.

• dottles said:

It certainly isn’t just a British crowd thing. The pit in Krakow was also rough and I know at other shows too. One of the worst experiences I’ve had at a pj show was Amsterdam night 1 in 2014 when I did venture to the pit. The experience scared me - people were unnecessarily rough, pushing their way into a space already over full, people shoving and being very aggressive, and wearing bloody rucksacks which in this case just kept hitting me in the face. I ended up fighting (almost literally) my way out and burst into tears with relief. 

I find in the majority PJ crowds (whether 10C members or not) are good people. 

Wow.. Amsterdam 1 '14 is my least favorite show ever.. In part because the crowd was so dead around me.. (floor, Mike's side..) I was so frustrated at the lack of energy that it negatively affected my experience..
    Crazy how different experiences can be!
    I would've thought as a Gooner you'd enjoy a dead crowd!  =)
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 28 Oct 96
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 29 May 00
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 30 May 00
    PJ - Cardiff International Arena, 06 June 00
    PJ - Wembley Arena, 18 Jun 07
    PJ - O2 London, 18 Aug 09
    PJ - O2 Dublin, 22 Jun 10
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 30 Jul 12
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 31 Jul 12
    PJ - Leeds First Direct Arena, 08 Jul 14
    PJ - Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 Jul 14
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 06 Jun 17
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 07 Jun 17
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 18 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 19 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 17 Jul 18
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    dottles said:

It certainly isn’t just a British crowd thing. The pit in Krakow was also rough and I know at other shows too. One of the worst experiences I’ve had at a pj show was Amsterdam night 1 in 2014 when I did venture to the pit. The experience scared me - people were unnecessarily rough, pushing their way into a space already over full, people shoving and being very aggressive, and wearing bloody rucksacks which in this case just kept hitting me in the face. I ended up fighting (almost literally) my way out and burst into tears with relief. 

Wow.. Amsterdam 1 '14 is my least favorite show ever.. In part because the crowd was so dead around me.. (floor, Mike's side..) I was so frustrated at the lack of energy that it negatively affected my experience..
    I don't even have a comeback for that.. =)

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
    That is a great reply and I'm a gooner too!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

dottles said:

=)  =)=)=)=)  
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    I would love it if they sacked off playing arena shows in England and just did two nights at Brixton for 10c members only.

How much better would that be? 
    Olivavu said:
    I would love it if they sacked off playing arena shows in England and just did two nights at Brixton for 10c members only.

How much better would that be? 
    It would be crap because half of us wouldn't get tickets  lol