Options

Add Merch Bundle option when buying tickets - BEAT THE FLIPPERS!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    kce8 said:
    I think a lot of people would have bought a lot of stuff if there were not these long lines for merchandise. 
    People chose to let it go to enjoy cities instead. 
    I would probably buy more (any) stuff if there were no lines.

However, I feel like I have filled my lifetime quota for clothing with any sort of "Pearl Jam" on it, and my style has moved on from that.  
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    pdalowsky said:
    I think its safe to say that having been in the business some 27 years now, and having built up one hell of a brand the band knows what they are doing and how to do well. They are a shining example of a success story and I take my hat off to them. Seeing Springsteen in 2016 I was amazed that there wasnt a single soul at a merch desk on the way in.........
    A "shining success story" would be 1) fans getting a poster to the show they went to and 2) selling this years yellow shirt also in a male version.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    pdalowsky said:
    I think its safe to say that having been in the business some 27 years now, and having built up one hell of a brand the band knows what they are doing and how to do well. They are a shining example of a success story and I take my hat off to them. Seeing Springsteen in 2016 I was amazed that there wasnt a single soul at a merch desk on the way in.........
    A "shining success story" would be 1) fans getting a poster to the show they went to and 2) selling this years yellow shirt also in a male version.
    LOL to the second part
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    pdalowsky said:
    Agreed to the first part :smile:
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
     The 2009 experiment didnt work out well. Santos has, quite rightly, referenced this a few times on facebook recently. 
    What didn't work out?
    Not every poster was an all time classic. Example- EMEK Rome appears to be the hot poster this year. When pre-ordering, everyone wanted an EMEK Rome. Everyone expected an EMEK Rome.  And when that did not happen in 2009, it did not go over well. And the 10c voiced their opinions about that. See the English poster I posted above.  The board would explode with anger if a couple thousand people pre-ordered that  unseen. 

Sure there are a few of us that want a poster for every show we attend, but not everyone. 
    This sounds fabricated, or exaggerated. 

Looked through the thread you linked - didn't see what "did not go over well". People were just talking about recieving posters or waiting for posters to arrive: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/109745/poster-presale/p9

People get disappointed when their shows have a poster they do not like (or relieved), people would get disappointed if the poster they preorder wasn't to their liking. Ofc. But please point me to all these rabid fans that made this an impossible thing to continue?
    Not frabricated at all. It came straight from santos recently. It didnt work well for them, and I presume that means there was less deman than normal. What they currently do is working very well for them, demand is increasing due to the scarcity, and that means there is a good income. IMO it would be foolish to scupper their current position by removing the limited angle

This btw hurts me as much as anyone, as I dont have a grand for a rome poster either. But that said, it doesnt mean I dont get it and understand why it is like it is. Makes a whole lot of sense
    I would argue that the size of the PJ poster market has significantly increase since 2009.  The 10C would sell more posters with both a pre-sale and a limited number of posters available at the shows.

I am not sure how scarcity really helps they 10C. They don't change the price of posters based on demand.  Everything sells for $35 so why not sell more of the prints.  In the current system, the 10C is missing out on volume and the flippers/traders are benefiting from the posters being limited because they get the upside from reselling at a high price..
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Honestly, I think they just made a mistake and vastly underestimated the demand for this euro tour. Not much more than that. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Honestly, I think they just made a mistake and vastly underestimated the demand for this euro tour. Not much more than that. 
    Ok, no problem, then they should just let us order it like the vaults and everybody will be happy!
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,236
    RS65573 said:
    I personally thought it was awesome. The Spectrum shows were a treat. I played corn hole and drank and it was grand.

However, the posters are now worth nothing, which kind of sucks. Also is a not so good poster set IMO.
    The hopes of your posters being worth more than the $35 you pay for them is what caused this mess in the first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    RS65573 said:
    I personally thought it was awesome. The Spectrum shows were a treat. I played corn hole and drank and it was grand.

However, the posters are now worth nothing, which kind of sucks. Also is a not so good poster set IMO.
    Sucks? Isn't the idea to buy a poster to hang on your wall because you went to the show?

Or did you buy them to earn something from them? Then, Im glad they worth next to nothing. Like stated below, that is what caused this mess.

(Spectrum was the Tom Tomorrow posters that went together right..? Not the best looking posters...)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

Sucks? Isn't the idea to buy a poster to hang on your wall because you went to the show?

Or did you buy them to earn something from them? Then, Im glad they worth next to nothing.

(Spectrum was the Tom Tomorrow posters that went together right..? Not the best looking posters...)
    I dont mind the posters.... but 4 of virtually the same poster is overkill.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    RS65573 said:

Or did you buy them to earn something from them? Then, Im glad they worth next to nothing.

I dont mind the posters.... but 4 of virtually the same poster is overkill.
    To me, it has more to do with the craft of them than the idea of them looking similiar. Having something like that next to one another on a wall, in theory, is pretty cool. Like Munk Ones Chicago posters for Eddie solo.

But I get that if you don't like the first one - you're fucked with all of them. 

But to me the problem is that Tom Tomorrow just isn't that much of an artist. Might work for an underground comic strip but not for posters etc.

I mean, just look at this:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

Or did you buy them to earn something from them? Then, Im glad they worth next to nothing. Like stated below, that is what caused this mess.

I think the point was buying those posters blind to get 4 the same kinda sucked, and many people dont frame the posters and store them in portfolios. Its not always possible to frame everything but as a collector its nice to own them, i personally couldnt care less what they are worth as Im not interested in selling mine
  • Options
    I am sure that the band knows that fans standing in lines for hours but I am assuming that the current merch situation is not the type of "concert experience" that they fondly remember from their youth.  I cannot picture anyone from the band standing in merch lines when they were going to shows.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    RS65573 said:

I think the point was buying those posters blind to get 4 the same kinda sucked, and many people dont frame the posters and store them in portfolios. Its not always possible to frame everything but as a collector its nice to own them, i personally couldnt care less what they are worth as Im not interested in selling mine
    Yes. But you are buying them blind. So that's the deal. You could also have waited and bought them at the show.

Ofc, Tenclub could have said "The philly shows will be a set. Buyers beware". But I don't think they had to.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
     The 2009 experiment didnt work out well. Santos has, quite rightly, referenced this a few times on facebook recently. 
    What didn't work out?
    Not every poster was an all time classic. Example- EMEK Rome appears to be the hot poster this year. When pre-ordering, everyone wanted an EMEK Rome. Everyone expected an EMEK Rome.  And when that did not happen in 2009, it did not go over well. And the 10c voiced their opinions about that. See the English poster I posted above.  The board would explode with anger if a couple thousand people pre-ordered that  unseen. 

Sure there are a few of us that want a poster for every show we attend, but not everyone. 

Looked through the thread you linked - didn't see what "did not go over well". People were just talking about recieving posters or waiting for posters to arrive: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/109745/poster-presale/p9

People get disappointed when their shows have a poster they do not like (or relieved), people would get disappointed if the poster they preorder wasn't to their liking. Ofc. But please point me to all these rabid fans that made this an impossible thing to continue?
    Not frabricated at all. It came straight from santos recently. It didnt work well for them, and I presume that means there was less deman than normal. What they currently do is working very well for them, demand is increasing due to the scarcity, and that means there is a good income. IMO it would be foolish to scupper their current position by removing the limited angle

This btw hurts me as much as anyone, as I dont have a grand for a rome poster either. But that said, it doesnt mean I dont get it and understand why it is like it is. Makes a whole lot of sense
    I would argue that the size of the PJ poster market has significantly increase since 2009.  The 10C would sell more posters with both a pre-sale and a limited number of posters available at the shows.

I am not sure how scarcity really helps they 10C. They don't change the price of posters based on demand.  Everything sells for $35 so why not sell more of the prints.  In the current system, the 10C is missing out on volume and the flippers/traders are benefiting from the posters being limited because they get the upside from reselling at a high price..
    I wouldnt be so sure - the poster hype in 2009 was massive
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Yeah, the Euro fans have been coming in here for years saying they don't care about merch. Maybe Santos saw a lot of that and adjusted things.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What didn't work out?

I feel the same way PJ-Cubs.

Scarcity only fuels the collectors and hoarders. Some of these people see it as an ethical thing to make money off artists' works. I think these concert posters need to be sold for $70 each - double the current price.

There's no way I'll stand in any line for hours to pick up any concert paraphernalia, or anything else for that matter.
    Enjoy the music and shows everyone.  Be nice to each other :)
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What didn't work out?

The merch situtation in 2009 was nothing like it is today.  The lines did not span for hours in 2009 and most people were not buying 2 posters to flip or for "trade bait".

BK's Red Mosquito poster from the SLC show was the "hot" print during 2009 tour and the price barely reached $200 during the hype (a few sold for a bit more).  Today, that print would be on-line for $300 on the day of the show.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What didn't work out?

The merch situtation in 2009 was nothing like it is today.  The lines did not span for hours in 2009 and most people were not buying 2 posters to flip or for "trade bait".

BK's Red Mosquito poster from the SLC show was the "hot" print during 2009 tour and the price barely reached $200 during the hype (a few sold for a bit more).  Today, that print would be on-line for $300 on the day of the show.
    I recall there being huge poster hype back then, times have moved on - quantities seem to have dropped, and incomes have seemingly gone up, the DK craziness and Pitts 13 have changed the attitudes to this game dramatically. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What didn't work out?

I recall there being huge poster hype back then, times have moved on - quantities seem to have dropped, and incomes have seemingly gone up, the DK craziness and Pitts 13 have changed the attitudes to this game dramatically. 
    Yes...

It really ramped up about 2008 when we had the MSG hunter and animals fiasco.  Washington was also very coveted.  People had 'grails' of the 2006 Reaper poster as well as 2007 Dusseldorf.  It took off from there gradually, but really hit fever pitch in recent years, post PJ20.  The OG Wrigley scene amped it up quite a bit with cracker jack.  There is a lot of 'fake hype' now with posters like with the Lexington, Transformers, and the Philly taxidermy poster.  It seems like 1 out of 3 or 4 posters now has fake hype.

Now, the raffles have made the poster game go from crowded to absurd.  It has made it acceptable, and even encouraged to flip, even short-flip, and get like 200% of the "value.  In the past, people would openly call these people out to fuck themselves and they would be reduced to being anonymous on ebay and getting 90% of the "value" and paying fees on top of it.  As a cascade, all values are artificially increasing as is demand, which is largely artificial.  I have seen the usual raffling suspects come here and in facebook groups specifically to hype posters and writing things like "The next Kong!" and "My new grail!".  

"Flash Sales" too.  WTH.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    What didn't work out?

To be fair... the Flash sales posted on here seem to be contributing to the craziness you’re  describing.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    Go check out James Flames' IG if you want to see the type of labor that can go into creating one poster.

Some of these artists may not have the ability to crank out 3000-5000 prints for a show. Or frankly the interest in committing the time to doing so. 
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    hihobibo said:
    Are there any other bands with poster collectors as rabid as PJ/EV fans? By that, I mean are there other bands where fans buy any poster, and not just shows they attended?  Its rare I see any other posters sold out on artist sites except for the PJ/EV ones. Are these just more limited? Foo Fighters, 311, and QOTSA all seem to come out with cool posters too, but rarely do they sell out. 
    The posters at Jack White shows this summer have sold out at the shows I went to. I was shocked when I said to the Merch Guy: “I will take a poster” and he said “That will be $80.00.”  I still had to spend $5.00 on a tube for my $80.00 poster.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    MayDay10 said:

I would think logistics and labor was probably a bit of a pain for 10c
    I have always assumed this is why they don't do pre-orders (with either shipping, or pickup at a booth at the show). I can't fault them for that. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I think upping the prices of posters to $40-$45 and limiting it to one per person (maybe a scan of the ticket stub to verify), would greatly improve the situation. 

But I get at the end of the Day 10c/PJ just doesn't want to be left with stock, so the current way minimizes this (which is why they don't just print 6,000 posters.