Options

All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,258
    on2legs said:
    RP112579 said:
    They actually want to sell the merch. No one is buying a $50 t-shirt.
    Agreed.  The average fan is not paying that much for a shirt.  $40 is pushing it as it is. 
    Has anyone not been to any pop concerts the last couple of years?  $40, $50, $60 for a regular short sleeve t-shirt is fairly common.
    $80-$90 for a sweatshirt...even more for a hoodie!
    GnR was asking $60 or $70 for a poster...one of the reasons I did not get one...the other was that it wasn't very good.  Also $10 for a 4x6 sticker sheet that was printed on paper more flimsy than the ticket I printed at home.
    The prices they charge from the tickets to their merch is still relatively low compared to most other live acts these days.
    They could mark their prices up across the board and the lineups will probably be a wee bit smaller, but not by much.
    Hope they never start charging VIP ticket prices!

I like the DMB VIP packages. Great seats. Posters. Special gift (although this year's gift is a turd). Fairly reasonable considering the price of the seats in the first place, the fact that you don't have to show up three hours early and run around like an idiot trying to get a poster, the fact that you don't have to guard your poster and merch all night, and the piece of mind ahead of time knowing all is going to be well.

I'd do PJ VIP in a second. 
    Yeah did some research into the DMB VIP and it looks to be fairly reasonable. 
    What about this though....when is enough? The service charge is nearly 400 boners!!!
    EDIT...for Elton John
    At least the delivery was free.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited July 2018
    I guess the only choices are to either accept it.... or downgrade your appetite for merch and posters.

Personally, I really got out of the merch thing.  I still do posters, but normally if I don't get lucky, I won't chase.  This is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable thing.  Not a source of so much unnecessary stress, work, and frustration.  I dont need any of this shit, and I certainly dont want it enough to engage in a survival of the fittest battle with a bunch of assholes looking to make money off it.

The demand and excitement is necessary for such a niche market as this rock band and specifically these poster artists.  Scarcity is a tool to be welded, and without it, not nearly as many people would pay $35+ for the posters (many buying multiple), and more for APs.  There is a bubble and it will burst on these prints.  10C certainly isn't going to flood the market.  It creates a boat-load of extra work to execute a pre-order for ticket holders... and it also puts them at the risk of having piles of unwanted items taking up shelf space.

The overt flash-sales and powerball waffles, and immediate short-selling and trading, etc all kind of stuff has soured the hobby of collecting for me.  People have made a side business off selling or raffling this stuff off.  I don't really care to be a party to that.  Maybe people have fun forking over $25 for a 1/50 chance at a $35 item that is "worth" $350 at this moment... but not me.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    stones said:

There is no reason at all that show after show the PJ merch people have to disappoint thousands of people because they underestimated the demand.
    They aren't underestimating demand.  They print a limited amount for a reason.  
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,063
    They are underestimating  because previously  in the thread someone asked the merch guy and he said if the show sold few posters last tour they don't take as many this time. Which is utterly ridiculous.  Lots depends on the economy . What time of year. The artist.
     All sorts. Some shows that sold less last time may sell double this time
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    RP112579 said:
    jeffbr said:
    deadendp said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is an issue PJ created, enables and perpetuates. They can put a stop to it at any time. They've obviously chosen merch as their primary source of income and focus, so it is what it is. Music is now a secondary concern.
    I don't agree at all.  
    With which part? Neither? You don't think PJ created the scarcity, which created the demand? You don't think PJ could either increase supply or move merch booths inside to prevent non-ticket holders from doing a merch grab (thus further limiting supply to fans)? As far as my last sentence, the quality and quantity of their output of late informs my opinion there.
    The biggest myth is that the outdoor merch stand is full of non ticket holders in the line. I'd bet it's less than 1%. It's not hard to figure out that the fans are the flippers, the fans are the rafflers, the 10c members are the flippers, the 10c members are the rafflers. Some of the biggest money makers from merch are regulars in this forum. It's not just hundreds of random people who aren't fans standing outside to buy up all the merch to resell. If anyone thinks putting merch only inside of the venue will solve the "merch craze", you're wrong.
    Solve it, no.  But every little bit to deter helps.
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    stones said:

There is no reason at all that show after show the PJ merch people have to disappoint thousands of people because they underestimated the demand.
    Sorry but that's not correct.  There have been multiple merch sources who've stated that for Prague (specifically) they did a very low print run because the last poster didn't sell out - it was the infamous McClown poster.  So they used that as their baseline for this years show.

They had around 200 SE prints available, but there were way more than 200 people in the merch line over 2 hours before it even opened.  And by opening time maybe 800 people.  They also sold out of stickers, pins, and show specific shirts within minutes of opening at all stands.

That is underestimating demand, and nothing to do with keeping the items limited edition.

1000 posters would still be a limited edition at an 18k capacity venue.  200 is just absurd.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Those early entry wristbands can be a real giveaway for 10c members & their plus one.
    It's a shame but know we have flippers amongst us don't we - it is what it is... And it is Sad... 
    My wife and I  traded her 10c GA for standard seats (from the 10c pre sale links as I lost) because we are so short (!)  and I was watching through the window as I was first in line outside... It is what it is.

SAD. 

And I am sad for being equally desperate for my "event tee"...
    And these include most undoubtedly the same people who create "the line and the list."  Aka a bunch of assholes who think they are above the band and the rules just don't apply to them.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,567
    Ive never seen this before with merch being almost as important as the show! Does this happen with other bands - where posters sell out and are flipped for silly amounts on ebay? 
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,701
    Ive never seen this before with merch being almost as important as the show! Does this happen with other bands - where posters sell out and are flipped for silly amounts on ebay? 
    Dont forget the flippers on Espresso Beans. Artist editions appear there as soon as they sell out.
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    stones said:
    stones said:

Sorry but that's not correct.  There have been multiple merch sources who've stated that for Prague (specifically) they did a very low print run because the last poster didn't sell out - it was the infamous McClown poster.  So they used that as their baseline for this years show.

They had around 200 SE prints available, but there were way more than 200 people in the merch line over 2 hours before it even opened.  And by opening time maybe 800 people.  They also sold out of stickers, pins, and show specific shirts within minutes of opening at all stands.

That is underestimating demand, and nothing to do with keeping the items limited edition.

1000 posters would still be a limited edition at an 18k capacity venue.  200 is just absurd.
    Exactly judging demand on that mc clown is fuckin stupid. I wouldn't take that for free.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Different designs for each show is a merch home run...I remember the days of maybe 2 shirt designs at most..everything else was identical..they would simply list the shows and dates on the back..what wasn't sold went to the next city..I do find it ironic that a band that prides itself on saving the planet seems to turn out a lot of land fill material..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Different designs for each show is a merch home run...I remember the days of maybe 2 shirt designs at most..everything else was identical..they would simply list the shows and dates on the back..what wasn't sold went to the next city..I do find it ironic that a band that prides itself on saving the planet seems to turn out a lot of land fill material..

They're conflicted in many ways. I don't blame them one bit, but it's fair to say that marketing and revenue has overtook their passion for humanity.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    I’m not expecting any mystery poster sales for some time!  =) I’m hoping they will do something for 10c members. Maybe a 24 hour sale were you can apply for whatever you want and it will then be posted to you. I’m quite lucky as I did Krakow, so think I may be ok for getting one if they do go up!  =) also did Prague which maybe will be slightly harder! I never tried to get there early as I was too busy enjoying the cities and beer! 
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    I’m not expecting any mystery poster sales for some time!  =) I’m hoping they will do something for 10c members. Maybe a 24 hour sale were you can apply for whatever you want and it will then be posted to you. I’m quite lucky as I did Krakow, so think I may be ok for getting one if they do go up!  =) also did Prague which maybe will be slightly harder! I never tried to get there early as I was too busy enjoying the cities and beer! 
    I wish i'd not have bothered in Prague.  I was queuing up all day whilst my wife was sightseeing.  It's only because I'd promised a poster towards OYR and GTL that I felt I had to keep trying, and that made the day stressful.
  • Options
    You are a good man stones
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 836
    stones said:
    Glorious said:
    stones said:
    Here's a true story:

Foo Fighters show at the London Stadium on Saturday 23rd June 2018.  The poster went on sale by Drew Millward and it was noticed that the date was wrong.  It said 23rd July not June.  So they pulled the poster.

Before the show had finished the Foos merch people had arranged for the date to be corrected, and the poster reprinted and put up on sale again.  That's how easy it is to solve a supply problem in the modern world.

Where did you hear this? I only ask as I was there for the Friday 22nd gig and also hoped to snag the Sat poster. I spoke to Drew after this and it's not looking likely there will be any corrected posters. (They're still not on sale).
    People who attended the show.

You could buy some of the prints with the wrong date on eBay, which were sold before they realised the mistake.  But the corrected poster was smaller I'm told - still the same image but with the corrected date.

I was at the Friday show too.  And yeah I had a FB chat with Drew too.  I guess it all boils down to whoever made the mistake.  If it was him he might have to suck it up and not have an edition to sell, but if it was the Foos merch people then he must be able to at least print off a corrected AP run to sell.  Hopefully some foils too!
    I bought one with the corrected date - at the time I was amazed they had any as I didn't know the story... It's a much smaller size than the original poster. It was £15 from the merch stand.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    RP112579 said:
    jeffbr said:
    deadendp said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is an issue PJ created, enables and perpetuates. They can put a stop to it at any time. They've obviously chosen merch as their primary source of income and focus, so it is what it is. Music is now a secondary concern.
    I don't agree at all.  
    With which part? Neither? You don't think PJ created the scarcity, which created the demand? You don't think PJ could either increase supply or move merch booths inside to prevent non-ticket holders from doing a merch grab (thus further limiting supply to fans)? As far as my last sentence, the quality and quantity of their output of late informs my opinion there.
    The biggest myth is that the outdoor merch stand is full of non ticket holders in the line. I'd bet it's less than 1%. It's not hard to figure out that the fans are the flippers, the fans are the rafflers, the 10c members are the flippers, the 10c members are the rafflers. Some of the biggest money makers from merch are regulars in this forum. It's not just hundreds of random people who aren't fans standing outside to buy up all the merch to resell. If anyone thinks putting merch only inside of the venue will solve the "merch craze", you're wrong.
    I am going to guess that the non-ticket holders make up much more than 1% of the line.  In 2016, I saw a couple of groups of known flippers from other Wrigley events in line to buy merch.  It was the same people that I have seen load up on Cubs giveaways (bobbleheads, etc) and merch from other Wrigley concerts (Foos).  One dude shows early and his 5 friends meet him in line later.  They check ebay on their phones to see what the "hot" items were and they all buy the max number of allowed items.  

In 2013, a dude asked what everyone was in line for on Thursday afternoon.  When someone told him that they had Pearl Jam posters and shirts that sell-out, he immediately got in line to buy some to resell later.

It is no different than the people who line up on the release date to buy limited edition Jordans or the new iphone to sell later.  Ebay has created a market for people have the time and energy to wait in line to make a lot of money.    
  • Options
    So it's Ok?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,376
    The big city shows like MSG this is prevalent and always has been. Those guys just stalk the venue and make money off whoever is playing that weeks fans. It would certainly help to put all merch behind the ticket entrance.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    So it's Ok?

It's OK. you don't have to run and hide away.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Just been played in Berlin how apt! =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited July 2018
    So it's Ok?
    Definitely not saying that it OK

• Options
    Cool
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,466
    RS65573 said:
    The big city shows like MSG this is prevalent and always has been. Those guys just stalk the venue and make money off whoever is playing that weeks fans. It would certainly help to put all merch behind the ticket entrance.
    Every show I’ve ever been at MSG has been like that.  Not just Pearl Jam. There are two merch stands in the lobby.  No ticket required to access them... you just have to be screened at a metal detector.  I was there earlier this week to see U2 and a few weeks ago for Def Leppard.  Same setup.  Also was the same setup when I saw U2 two years ago and Temple of the Dog in 2016.  I don’t see them ever changing it for just one band.  It’s really the only place they have that can accommodate a large crowd. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641

lolobugg said:
    So it's Ok?

It's OK. you don't have to run and hide away.
    Yeah, we love you anyway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RC74272RC74272 Posts: 26
    IF the band want to increase poster supply to meet demand then the simplest solution is surely to use the online shop to take pre-sale orders from 10C members in exactly the same way as the they do for the Vault? No need to over complicate matters by trying to tie the poster sales into ticket pre-orders / separate lines at the shows etc.

Run a timed pre-sale after the show/tour ends, take in the orders & payments and then put in a 2nd and final print run for the show edition poster. 

Let people who want to buy from flippers / trade / grab the AP / variants etc do so as currently BUT it seems well overdue to offer a solution for the numerous fans who simply want a cool print to hang and who are increasingly shut out whether due to the limited print runs at the show, understimated demand, poor execution re 1 poster per person limits, ebay / fb raffles - whatever. Blind drops of whatever stock might be leftover is (I suppose) fun but ultimately frustrating for fans who lost out at the show and who just want to buy the merch without fuss. 

Limit the pre-sale to 10C members to cap the admin. Charge an extra $15 or whatever to cover admin costs. Use the leftover stock to meet the pre-sale demand either in part or full which cuts wastage. There is zero wastage with a 2nd print pre-sale which would be exact in numbers. 

A 2nd print run keeps the losing fans happy, 10C gets more $ (sales and potential increase in 10C membership), flipping of show edition reduces but the merch buzz (ie sales) on the night remains because there will always be a market for "me first" exclusivity.

For those sensitive to the artists' take on a 2nd print run, the APs / variants would stand per current model. With a 2nd print run of the show edition, the artist has the value of raised profile (eg Mumford) but if there is a more basic ecomonic driver then said artist could be offered a % cut of the extra sales revenue. Ultimately I would have thought a band the size and cache of PJ can set their own terms with the artists on numbers of show edition posters, a 2nd print run for fan club, % splits etc     

The key question remains whether or not there is an appetite with PJ management to use the online shop and the Vault model to meet the clear demand for these items (and the extra $ that go with) or whether they prefer the event "buzz" that comes with strictly limited edition items. Unhappy fans who feel let down / shut out surely damages brand PJ?   
  • Options
    Posters printed in huge quantities won’t sell.  Like it or not people like to buy limited things.  Look on eBay at the prices for the Binaural tour posters that were printed with all the cities on them. They printed them in huge quantities and you can barely give them away. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Also... while I get that the artists don’t love the flippers, I know they must like seeing their posters getting big money on the secondary market.  None of them want their posters reprinted in an unlimited quantity and going for peanuts.  

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Also... while I get that the artists don’t love the flippers, I know they must like seeing their posters getting big money on the secondary market.  None of them want their posters reprinted in an unlimited quantity and going for peanuts.  
    I am sure that artists are thrilled when they sell a poster for $100 and a flipper has it listed on ebay for $300 minutes later.
  • Options
    GloriousGlorious Posts: 26
    stones said:
    People who attended the show.

You could buy some of the prints with the wrong date on eBay, which were sold before they realised the mistake.  But the corrected poster was smaller I'm told - still the same image but with the corrected date.

I was at the Friday show too.  And yeah I had a FB chat with Drew too.  I guess it all boils down to whoever made the mistake.  If it was him he might have to suck it up and not have an edition to sell, but if it was the Foos merch people then he must be able to at least print off a corrected AP run to sell.  Hopefully some foils too!
    Thanks for that info. Yeah, a foil would be awesome!