Options

All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    on2legs said:
    stones said:
    I’m with you - in all other tours I’ve attended except in the States, posters and event shirts and stickers all readily available.   
    This time nope.  Not even with lining up.  I’ve never done that before!
    tonights the first of of any show I couldn’t get the event shirt ...

is is it outside merch maybe?
    that outside merch idea is stupid. just encourages flippers. 
    Travelling flippers, but flippers nonetheless.  These aren't locals in these lines in Prague etc, it's travelling (mainly US, mainly 10c member) fans.  Many of whom justify selling the merch on ebay because they had to spend so much to afford the trip.
    I àgree also that's my experience 
    Plenty of merch on eBay being posted from Europe. Check the locations of the sellers. 
    That's only because the US flippers haven't travelled home yet
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited July 2018
    I can't figure out why anyone is bothering with all of this. Even if I were a big poster collector, there is no way in hell I'd be into it with the way flippers have penetrated the whole thing to such a degree, and these lines sound stupid, with people buying multiples, and the sales staff not giving a shit about much of anything. Where is the fun in any of this?? I feel like the whole thing is just embarrassing at this point. It's like the mentality is creeping closer and closer to the thinking that drives people to stampede into Walmarts on Black Friday - the competition for goods is king.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    on2legs said:
    I said my experience . That s what I have seen with my eye balls. So why do I need to look anywhere. Jog on
    I meant to post that on the Pearl Jam message board where people can post varying ideas and opinions. 
    Look most things I post you jump all over. Pm  me if you have a problem.  If not stop. Just stupid troll someone else
    No jumping on.  Just offering the idea that the merch craze has likely spread to Europe.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,373
    PJ_Soul said:
    I can't figure out why anyone is bothering with all of this. Even if I were a big poster collector, there is no way in hell I'd be into it with the way flippers have penetrated the whole thing to such a degree, and these lines sound stupid, with people buying multiples, and the sales staff not giving a shit about much of anything. Where is the fun in any of this?? I feel like the whole thing is just embarrassing at this point. It's like the mentality is creeping closer and closer to the thinking that drives people to stampede into Walmarts on Black Friday - the competition for goods is king.
    I really like the art and memories on my walls. That simple for me. Makes me smile.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Also, sorry and no offense but if you want a memento, take a picture, put it on canvas. To go ape shit over posters is a little petty to me, not necessarily you, but people I see around in general. It cracks me up when people say "it is a MUST to have that poster because it means so much to me bla bla". Ummm no. You are putting material over what the show means to you.  That show will always be in your heart. Why do you need a poster? Save your beer cup. Don't wash your stank shirt. Something.  Does it really have to be a poster or anything that has the show info? To have a print is a great bonus, but nothing more to me.

Lastly, FWIW, kids are shooting each other over Jordans at least once a year and MJ is still making limited shoes.  We're not there yet, but yea... I don't see anything changing.
    Is that a thing anymore?  Jordans are hardly "rare" anymore.  Flight Club is going out of business soon.  They jumped the shark.  All the kids are wearing ADIDAS now.  

As for the merch this year though the stickers and pins are a disappointment.  That key chain is cool though.

Chris, what are you and Nart gonna do next time we head down to NYC?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,967
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    I said my experience . That s what I have seen with my eye balls. So why do I need to look anywhere. Jog on
    I meant to post that on the Pearl Jam message board where people can post varying ideas and opinions. 
    Look most things I post you jump all over. Pm  me if you have a problem.  If not stop. Just stupid troll someone else
    No jumping on.  Just offering the idea that the merch craze has likely spread to Europe.
    Yes it has spread to Europe That s what this thread is about. But when you add my quote to all ýour posts I know what you are doing....dont
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    lolobugg said:
    Also, sorry and no offense but if you want a memento, take a picture, put it on canvas. To go ape shit over posters is a little petty to me, not necessarily you, but people I see around in general. It cracks me up when people say "it is a MUST to have that poster because it means so much to me bla bla". Ummm no. You are putting material over what the show means to you.  That show will always be in your heart. Why do you need a poster? Save your beer cup. Don't wash your stank shirt. Something.  Does it really have to be a poster or anything that has the show info? To have a print is a great bonus, but nothing more to me.

Lastly, FWIW, kids are shooting each other over Jordans at least once a year and MJ is still making limited shoes.  We're not there yet, but yea... I don't see anything changing.
    Is that a thing anymore?  Jordans are hardly "rare" anymore.  Flight Club is going out of business soon.  They jumped the shark.  All the kids are wearing ADIDAS now.  

As for the merch this year though the stickers and pins are a disappointment.  That key chain is cool though.

Chris, what are you and Nart gonna do next time we head down to NYC?
    I think we should hit up some good food and a museum.  Maybe some proper Ramen?  Oh yeah and go to the Highline because he HATES the Highline.  hahahah!!!
    @badbrains
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Again in mine and the other guys experience  . We noticed  more Americans multi buying.  That s all. previously not noticed any multi buying.
     That s with my eyes I've seen that 
     So like it or not . That is what I have seen this tour. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I really like the art and memories on my walls. That simple for me. Makes me smile.
    Well yeah, okay, I hear you. It's just that when one stands in line for hours (in a glorious city worth seeing no less), and then ends up not even getting the poster at all because of flippers and bad merch staff, I'm surprised anyone wants to bother with that crap even if they do want the poster for their wall.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Some of these cities are wonderful to see . 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Again in mine and the other guys experience  . We noticed  more Americans multi buying.  That s all. previously not noticed any multi buying.

"American Flippers- stay away from me!!!"

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    RS65573 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well yeah, okay, I hear you. It's just that when one stands in line for hours (in a glorious city worth seeing no less), and then ends up not even getting the poster at all because of flippers and bad merch staff, I'm surprised anyone wants to bother with that crap even if they do want the poster for their wall.
    admit it.  you'd stand in line for 4 hours for a zippo. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No not at all. I'm not against any country or race. Just an observation  not only made by me. I think all merch should have a limit  of 1. That s all 1 person needs
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Totally agree. In Prague I personally witnessed a US 10c member buy all the posters the stand had left, except the ones used for display.
  • Options
    stones said:
    on2legs said:
    stones said:
    I’m with you - in all other tours I’ve attended except in the States, posters and event shirts and stickers all readily available.   

Travelling flippers, but flippers nonetheless.  These aren't locals in these lines in Prague etc, it's travelling (mainly US, mainly 10c member) fans.  Many of whom justify selling the merch on ebay because they had to spend so much to afford the trip.
    Plenty of merch on eBay being posted from Europe. Check the locations of the sellers. 
    That could be too... but I'm guessing people all over have caught on to the merch craze.
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Yes it has spread to Europe That s what this thread is about. But when you add my quote to all ýour posts I know what you are doing....dont
    More precisely, I mean it has likely spread to European fans as well. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Only because they now panic
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Only because they now panic
    There hasn't been any really limited items, right?  Stickers, pins and posters are usually the first to go anyway.  This is just nuts.
  • Options
    No doubt.  No one wants to be left without a chair, or a poster, when the music stops.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    stones said:
    on2legs said:
    stones said:

That could be too... but I'm guessing people all over have caught on to the merch craze.
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    More precisely, I mean it has likely spread to European fans as well. 
    That is true. Definitely there are more European ‘collectors’ than there once were. But having spent far too much of my life in merch queues of late I can attest to the fact that most of the people in line are from the USA.

Obviously  they’re not all flippers, but some are. And they are screwing US fans as much as the locals.
  • Options
    It's all gone bad. That s what I know 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    RS65573 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    admit it.  you'd stand in line for 4 hours for a zippo. LOL
    Not a chance in hell, lol! I have never stood in any merch line. If there were EV zippos to buy, I'd wait in line for it for about 15 minutes max. Of course, they'd all be sold out within 15 minutes and before I got to the register anyway, because the first 6 people in line would all buy 5 each, and then they'd be all gone because EV refuses to make anywhere near enough of them to meet demand.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    stones said:
    Totally agree. In Prague I personally witnessed a US 10c member buy all the posters the stand had left, except the ones used for display.
    10c usa members travelling to europe to buy extra merch to sell when back at home, all to help fund their trip to europe
    if i wasnt so against standing in line i would be all over this idea! 

• Options
    What was the tip off that the guy was a ten club member?

• Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    on2legs said:
    Probably an anal log shirt
  • Options
    branscop said:
    on2legs said:

branscop said:
    on2legs said:

10club patch and a stickman tattoo?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    It was an indoor merch stand, well before the doors were opened to the public and he had a 10c wristband.

So either a 10c member or their guest. Either way, you don’t fly from the US and just do that without knowing what you’re doing.
  • Options
    branscop said:
    on2legs said:
    lol 

• Options
    stones said:
    10c usa members travelling to europe to buy extra merch to sell when back at home, all to help fund their trip to europe
    if i wasnt so against standing in line i would be all over this idea! 

I realise this was likely said with tongue in cheek, and truthfully I don’t have a problem so much with people taking advantage personally of shitty organisation.  But how difficult is it to instruct local merch sellers to limit items to 2 per person? They did it in London.

And of course only 200 SE posters is just stupid at a venue that holds 18000 people.
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Those early entry wristbands can be a real giveaway for 10c members & their plus one.
    It's a shame but know we have flippers amongst us don't we - it is what it is... And it is Sad... 
    My wife and I  traded her 10c GA for standard seats (from the 10c pre sale links as I lost) because we are so short (!)  and I was watching through the window as I was first in line outside... It is what it is.

SAD. 

And I am sad for being equally desperate for my "event tee"...
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    This is an issue PJ created, enables and perpetuates. They can put a stop to it at any time. They've obviously chosen merch as their primary source of income and focus, so it is what it is. Music is now a secondary concern.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08