Options

All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:
    It’s been like this every tour for the last 15 years.  Nothing new to see here.  
    This.  On the 2000 tour getting a poster was not an issue. Ebay is the main reason that demand for posters has gotten out of hand. Everyone and their mother can make a quick buck.  Same with tickets.
    I respectfully disagree.  I know it's easy to blame the "bad people" for why demand is like this, but when you really look at the numbers and the percentage of merch that ends up on eBay vs what ends up in collector's collections, it's not even close.  Yes, there are people buying multiples of things to make a quick buck on eBay, 100%.  But the overwhelming majority of merch goes to fans.  Especially on this tour.  Such a small amount of posters from Europe have ended up on eBay so far.  

It's just a simple supply vs. demand issue and Pearl Jam wants this exactly the way it is.  This is why they hold weeklong merch parties before their stadium shows.  This is why they don't offer a poster with ticket purchase...they sell more 10C tickets than they're willing to make posters for.  Like it or not (most don't) they are fully aware of what a spectacle the merch creates and they like it like this.  
    That's fair and I don't consider flippers "bad people." 
    I don’t either.  I meant more like it’s easier to blame them than an increased fan base and collectors.  Hell without resellers I wouldn’t have a lot of prints in my collection after missing out on drops.  A necessary evil. If everyone who bought something kept it for themselves, people who complain about flippers would be complaining about no one selling the thing they missed haha. 
    Of course they are not bad people.. They are just fuckin assholes
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:
    This.  On the 2000 tour getting a poster was not an issue. Ebay is the main reason that demand for posters has gotten out of hand. Everyone and their mother can make a quick buck.  Same with tickets.
    I respectfully disagree.  I know it's easy to blame the "bad people" for why demand is like this, but when you really look at the numbers and the percentage of merch that ends up on eBay vs what ends up in collector's collections, it's not even close.  Yes, there are people buying multiples of things to make a quick buck on eBay, 100%.  But the overwhelming majority of merch goes to fans.  Especially on this tour.  Such a small amount of posters from Europe have ended up on eBay so far.  

It's just a simple supply vs. demand issue and Pearl Jam wants this exactly the way it is.  This is why they hold weeklong merch parties before their stadium shows.  This is why they don't offer a poster with ticket purchase...they sell more 10C tickets than they're willing to make posters for.  Like it or not (most don't) they are fully aware of what a spectacle the merch creates and they like it like this.  
    That's fair and I don't consider flippers "bad people." 
    I don’t either.  I meant more like it’s easier to blame them than an increased fan base and collectors.  Hell without resellers I wouldn’t have a lot of prints in my collection after missing out on drops.  A necessary evil. If everyone who bought something kept it for themselves, people who complain about flippers would be complaining about no one selling the thing they missed haha. 
    Of course they are not bad people.. They are just fuckin assholes
    Ha!  This.
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    I think Santos' explanation about having enough posters for everyone makes perfect sense... Verbatim: "When there is supply there is no demand". Therefore, merch with tix won't work for the business either. I honestly think half of the people that chase posters buy either because they want to have something others don't, and because they know the value will at least, stay at cost; you very rarely lose at $35. Then the other half actually care about the print/the show etc.  Gotta keep us thirsty, it sucks but it's a business.  
  • Options
    Also, sorry and no offense but if you want a memento, take a picture, put it on canvas. To go ape shit over posters is a little petty to me, not necessarily you, but people I see around in general. It cracks me up when people say "it is a MUST to have that poster because it means so much to me bla bla". Ummm no. You are putting material over what the show means to you.  That show will always be in your heart. Why do you need a poster? Save your beer cup. Don't wash your stank shirt. Something.  Does it really have to be a poster or anything that has the show info? To have a print is a great bonus, but nothing more to me.

Lastly, FWIW, kids are shooting each other over Jordans at least once a year and MJ is still making limited shoes.  We're not there yet, but yea... I don't see anything changing.
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Also, sorry and no offense but if you want a memento, take a picture, put it on canvas. To go ape shit over posters is a little petty to me, not necessarily you, but people I see around in general. It cracks me up when people say "it is a MUST to have that poster because it means so much to me bla bla". Ummm no. You are putting material over what the show means to you.  That show will always be in your heart. Why do you need a poster? Save your beer cup. Don't wash your stank shirt. Something.  Does it really have to be a poster or anything that has the show info? To have a print is a great bonus, but nothing more to me.

Lastly, FWIW, kids are shooting each other over Jordans at least once a year and MJ is still making limited shoes.  We're not there yet, but yea... I don't see anything changing.
    Safe to say you’re preaching in the desert, but I can’t agree more with your first post. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,437
    Been said before,,Just have the option of a poster with the tix...
    There's been plenty of reasons why that isn't a good solution.  And It's not just about the poster for everyone.  People shouldn't have to wait in line 3-4 hours to get a t-shirt with some tour dates/stops on the back or a tote bag or a hat or keychain.
    on2legs said:
    I disagree it's not been like it here the last 25 years at all
    Agree with you, Rob.  With the exception of the Pitt '13 poster, I never had trouble getting anything until 2014.  Lines were 10-15 mins tops.

The outside merch tents/booths ruined everything. The 2013 tour wasn't bad - again, aside from the Pitt poster.  Even then I only stood in line maybe a half hour, but I got there around 5pm and posters sold out while I was in line.  I waited maybe 5 mins in Baltimore and no wait at all in Charlottesville, and both were also arriving at the venue around 5pm.  2014 was a whole different story.  Cincinnati was a 3 1/2 hour wait.  St. Paul was a 4 hour wait and the line didn't move an inch. I got fed up and left without buying anything.  Wrigley '16 was an all day event.  It's ridiculous.

Merch lines in the north east are a whole other animal.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    Still doesn’t make sense. All these shows have sold out of posters. Loads of people still want them. Print more. Simple

if they don’t sell out next time, don’t print more. 

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    There should be a merch booth on this overnight train to Krakow!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I assume city size has a lot to do with it obviously...C'ville and Hampton were a breeze..I can only imagine Philly,Chicago, Boston etc would be a nightmare..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I wonder if the artists have a say in how many prints can be made.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Get_Right said:
    I would have to say that's a big no!
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,808
    I thought that in line for my tickets at London and next to me were 100s queuing  for merch. I said to my friend. Why can t it be one queue get your ticket and go into merch place then all done in one go.
    Thats the best thing i have heard yet for ideal

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Get_Right said:
    They don’t. 

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited July 2018
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:

I’m not sure why the band would care about the spectacle this stuff creates. They make their cut but after that whatever something sells on ebay for is out of their hands. T-shirts and posters and other crap have been sold at concerts forever. Why people go so crazy for it now is beyond me. I can see a souvenir to remember the show but that’s it. I laugh when I see guys/girls at a show with the new t-shirt on, the hat, a couple of tubes and a bag of stickers and what not. It’s hilarious. Pearl jam has already taken steps to make sure tickets stay in the hands of fans. Maybe the poster thing is next. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    trees said:
    I thought that in line for my tickets at London and next to me were 100s queuing  for merch. I said to my friend. Why can t it be one queue get your ticket and go into merch place then all done in one go.
    Thats the best thing i have heard yet for ideal
    Not bad. Early merch entry for 10C ticket holders only.  Public inside the venue when the doors open.  Keeps the non-concert going flippers out of the mix.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I’m with you - in all other tours I’ve attended except in the States, posters and event shirts and stickers all readily available.   
    This time nope.  Not even with lining up.  I’ve never done that before!
    tonights the first of of any show I couldn’t get the event shirt ...

is is it outside merch maybe?
    that outside merch idea is stupid. just encourages flippers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,967
    Agree
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    stonesstones Posts: 187
    I’m with you - in all other tours I’ve attended except in the States, posters and event shirts and stickers all readily available.   

Travelling flippers, but flippers nonetheless.  These aren't locals in these lines in Prague etc, it's travelling (mainly US, mainly 10c member) fans.  Many of whom justify selling the merch on ebay because they had to spend so much to afford the trip.
  • Options
    stones said:

Travelling flippers, but flippers nonetheless.  These aren't locals in these lines in Prague etc, it's travelling (mainly US, mainly 10c member) fans.  Many of whom justify selling the merch on ebay because they had to spend so much to afford the trip.
    St Paul 2014. The outside line was hours wait. Didn't bother. Get inside the venue when it opened....no shirts left. On ebay for $200 the next day. Thank fuck the shirt was hideous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    stones said:

I àgree also that's my experience 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    stones said:

I àgree also that's my experience 
    Plenty of merch on eBay being posted from Europe. Check the locations of the sellers. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Mac57Mac57 Posts: 265
    Met some great locals in the 3.5 hour line in St. Paul. Truck was stuffed by vets who opened 1 hour late and were incredibly slow. 2 Poster limit was enforced.
    Now I wait till 10 Club poster sale or walk upstairs in the venue and sometimes get poster like in FTL.
    2008 MSG I & II
    2010 Newark, MSG I
    2013 Wrigley Field, Brooklyn I & II, Hartford, LA I & II, San Diego
    2014 Detroit, Moline, St. Paul & Milwaukee
    2015 Ed Sullivan Theater/ Central Park
    2016 FTL, Miami, Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Fenway 1
    2017 RRHOF
    2018 Seattle I & II, Missoula, Boston I & II
    2022 Apollo, MSG, Camden, Nashville & St. Louis
    2023 St.P. 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    I said my experience . That s what I have seen with my eye balls. So why do I need to look anywhere. Jog on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Mac57 said:
    Met some great locals in the 3.5 hour line in St. Paul. Truck was stuffed by vets who opened 1 hour late and were incredibly slow. 2 Poster limit was enforced.
    Now I wait till 10 Club poster sale or walk upstairs in the venue and sometimes get poster like in FTL.
    I was not willing to waste that many hours in line for stuff on a beautiful day in a city I'd never seen. especially with the risk of not getting what I wanted. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I said my experience . That s what I have seen with my eye balls. So why do I need to look anywhere. Jog on
    I meant to post that on the Pearl Jam message board where people can post varying ideas and opinions. 

• Options
    I do think it's just fair to limit merch to inside the venue or find away to limit it to ticket holders outside.  Having the merch outside just makes it a free for all.  If people who didn't go to the show want one to keep, to trade, to flip, whatever they want to do, they can be a ticket holder's +1 on the 2 p/p limit, or they can wait for the AP and 10C drops.  Having the merch inside is the solution that makes the most sense imo.  It will stay limited, that's not going to change and that's okay.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    edited July 2018

Is that a thing anymore?  Jordans are hardly "rare" anymore.  Flight Club is going out of business soon.  They jumped the shark.  All the kids are wearing ADIDAS now.  

As for the merch this year though the stickers and pins are a disappointment.  That key chain is cool though.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    stones said:

St Paul 2014. The outside line was hours wait. Didn't bother. Get inside the venue when it opened....no shirts left. On ebay for $200 the next day. Thank fuck the shirt was hideous. 
    Yep, stood in that line for 3.5-4 hours and it didn't move a fucking inch.  I got an AP poster while I was waiting in the airport the next day no problem. Eventually sold it lol.  That shirt was god awful.  Canary yellow.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    on2legs said:
    I meant to post that on the Pearl Jam message board where people can post varying ideas and opinions. 
    Look most things I post you jump all over. Pm  me if you have a problem.  If not stop. Just stupid troll someone else
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922

No one's going to pay for a used beer cup or shirt (unless someone it belonged to someone in the band).

It's hard to say what the percentage is, between those that are strict flippers and those that genuinely appreciate the art and want the memento from the show.  For me, there is absolutely zero that would make me stand in line and wait.  If there is a poster available and little to no line, sure.  But I will never, ever understand people who will wait hours in line for the chance to buy.

Of course, those people may not understand my need to sit in a bar and eat good food and drink for 4-5 hours before the show too, so there you go........