PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Fuck. Rendell has Parkinson's. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Fuck. Rendell has Parkinson's. 
    From what I heard this morning it sounds like he was actually diagnosed a few years ago? And it seems like he's been able to control/manage it.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Andrew Knapp sucks.  Hard to believe they can't find a better backup catcher than him.

Kapler not believing in a closer is stupid as well.  Of course the only one good enough for that role at this time looks to be Dominguez.  the rest of the bullpen is hard to watch.  
    edited June 2018

Come on. He doesn't believe in a closer? No, they just don't really have a closer in this bullpen. If they had one, I think he'd use him just as he used Neris in that role before he exploded into a million pieces a few weeks ago. I mean the guy does have 10 saves. They need to make a trade. Getting Neshak back will help too.

“I can assure you,” the Phillies manager said the other day, “if we had Kenley Jansen on our roster, he’d pitch the ninth inning.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/phillies-gabe-kapler-bullpen-seranthony-dominguez-closer-relief-pitchers-20180616.html

I like how they use Dominguez (wish they wouldn't need to use him as much, but....). They definitely wouldn't be 6 over .500 right now without the way they've used him. You can't save games you're not already leading....

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    A year ago today this team was 22-46...

thought they were gonna lose last night, glad to see they won.  Hitting is coming around.  Also think it's helping that they're playing at home, which i think they have one of the best home records in all of baseball.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited June 2018

Come on. He doesn't believe in a closer? No, they just don't really have a closer in this bullpen. If they had one, I think he'd use him just as he used Neris in that role before he exploded into a million pieces a few weeks ago. I mean the guy does have 10 saves. They need to make a trade. Getting Neshak back will help too.

“I can assure you,” the Phillies manager said the other day, “if we had Kenley Jansen on our roster, he’d pitch the ninth inning.”

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/phillies-gabe-kapler-bullpen-seranthony-dominguez-closer-relief-pitchers-20180616.html

I like how they use Dominguez (wish they wouldn't need to use him as much, but....). They definitely wouldn't be 6 over .500 right now without the way they've used him. You can't save games you're not already leading....

did you read the article or just pick one quote? 

here's the quote i'll pick.
    "If Dominguez does his job in the seventh or eighth inning, it’s anybody’s guess who will get the final three outs because Kapler hasn’t assigned a specific pitcher to the ninth. Kapler prefers it this way."

Doing it this way will not work.  you have to have a certain mindset to close. not everyone can do it.  

and I still don't get Crawford at 3rd and Kingery at Short.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    edited June 2018

Takes, there is only one reason he is experimenting with this right now and it is due to the current makeup of the bullpen. Period. The article mentions this numerous times, including in the paragraph in which you picked your quote.

If he had a legit closer, he would use him as such. He said as much in the article which you claim to have read. At no point did he say he doesn't "believe" in not having a closer. He's experimenting right now, because the current state of the bullpen allows him.

By the way, this is the full paragraph you picked your quote from for clarity purposes:

"...Kapler prefers it this way. It would be different, he said, if the Phillies had a proven closer. But given the bullpen’s composition, with a half dozen young pitchers who weren’t trained expressly as closers in the minor leagues and a veteran set-up man (Tommy Hunter) who has pitched in a variety of roles throughout his career, Kapler believes it makes more sense to choose a ninth-inning pitcher based on matchups against a specific batter and opponent rather than defaulting to one pitcher."

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

Takes, there is only one reason he is experimenting with this right now and it is due to the current makeup of the bullpen. Period. The article mentions this numerous times, including in the paragraph in which you picked your quote.

If he had a legit closer, he would use him as such. He said as much in the article which you claim to have read. At no point did he say he doesn't "believe" in not having a closer. He's experimenting right now, because the current state of the bullpen allows him.

By the way, this is the full paragraph you picked your quote from for clarity purposes:

"...Kapler prefers it this way. It would be different, he said, if the Phillies had a proven closer. But given the bullpen’s composition, with a half dozen young pitchers who weren’t trained expressly as closers in the minor leagues and a veteran set-up man (Tommy Hunter) who has pitched in a variety of roles throughout his career, Kapler believes it makes more sense to choose a ninth-inning pitcher based on matchups against a specific batter and opponent rather than defaulting to one pitcher."

he's wrong
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I like using your closer in the highest leverage situation regardless of inning, though I think I only remember Cleveland and Houston really doing it.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the article 
    I like using your closer in the highest leverage situation regardless of inning, though I think I only remember Cleveland and Houston really doing it.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the article 
    That’s how they are using Dominguez right now out of necessity. Love to see them trade for a closer and keep Dominguez in this role. Kind of like what your dumb team did with Wetteland and Rivera 20+ years ago
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I hate our announcers.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    That’s how they are using Dominguez right now out of necessity. Love to see them trade for a closer and keep Dominguez in this role. Kind of like what your dumb team did with Wetteland and Rivera 20+ years ago
    Haha. Those two were pretty good for a couple years there. 
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

forgot they were broadcasting from the stands tonight.  What are the chances they catch another ball?  Go Phills!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

forgot they were broadcasting from the stands tonight.  What are the chances they catch another ball?  Go Phills!
    I like Kruk but I don’t like him as an announcer. Ben Davis is okay I guess. 

Yeah they’re in the stands and so the whole game is about them. Fucking McCarthy was in the middle of a conversation with me ball girl during Rhys’ at bat in the 8th. KIND OF a crucial moment in the game and he’s talking to the ball girl.  I miss Harry and the way he just let them game breathe. You don’t have to talk throughout every moment of inactivity. These guys have been talking about food the whole game. And then Murph chimes in to offer up a large bag of horse shit to the conversation. Fuck these guys. 

And I would’ve used Sir Anthony in the 7th. Rough loss

chinese-happy.jpg
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Yeah they’re in the stands and so the whole game is about them. Fucking McCarthy was in the middle of a conversation with me ball girl during Rhys’ at bat in the 8th. KIND OF a crucial moment in the game and he’s talking to the ball girl.  I miss Harry and the way he just let them game breathe. You don’t have to talk throughout every moment of inactivity. These guys have been talking about food the whole game. And then Murph chimes in to offer up a large bag of horse shit to the conversation. Fuck these guys. 

yeah that's when i turned it on, during that at bat.  Kinda annoying.  I can see what you mean about Kruk, he's kinda funny though.
    Definitely a tough loss.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

yeah that's when i turned it on, during that at bat.  Kinda annoying.  I can see what you mean about Kruk, he's kinda funny though.
    Definitely a tough loss.
    I know it’s his schtick but I don’t like how he always sounds like he’s annoyed or something. 

I guess it it could be worse. We were just spoiled with greatness for so long
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.
    I know it’s his schtick but I don’t like how he always sounds like he’s annoyed or something. 

It could be worse, but not much. And, yes, I know I've said I've come around on McCarthy - and I think what I meant to say is I've just gotten used to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqepZOvyrM
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

It could be worse, but not much. And, yes, I know I've said I've come around on McCarthy - and I think what I meant to say is I've just gotten used to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqepZOvyrM
    I refuse to get complacent with Tom McCarthy!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I like McCarthy. Or maybe I'm just used to him. But I have no complaints.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I like McCarthy. Or maybe I'm just used to him. But I have no complaints.
    Like myself, he has planted his seeds in your brain.
    edited June 2018
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Agree on Kruk.  He is always annoyed at something.  It's like he doesn't want to be there half the time.  He can be funny as heck sometimes though.

I like Ben Davis.  I think he is a nice understated but good commentator.

And Juggler can i be annoyed at Herrera for swinging at and hitting a ball that fucking bounced? you know now that he is no longer hitting .350?
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    edited June 2018
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Agree on Kruk.  He is always annoyed at something.  It's like he doesn't want to be there half the time.  He can be funny as heck sometimes though.

And Juggler can i be annoyed at Herrera for swinging at and hitting a ball that fucking bounced? you know now that he is no longer hitting .350?

He's hitting .292 with a .350 on base....both above his career averages. He's also homered in four of the last five games, including one last night, and has a good shot at representing the Phils in the all star game. 

Am I missing something here? That was a poor at bat but for all the offensive woes this team is having to single out him is....well, quite the take. Some would call it hot.  

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

He's hitting .292 with a .350 on base....both above his career averages. He's also homered in four of the last five games, including one last night, and has a good shot at representing the Phils in the all star game. 

Am I missing something here? For all the offensive woes this team is having to single out him is....well, quite the take. Some would call it hot.  

He better make the all-star game. That would be a load of shit if he didn't. I saw the voting and was surprised how low he was for NL outfielders.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Am I missing something here? For all the offensive woes this team is having to single out him is....well, quite the take. Some would call it hot.  

He better make the all-star game. That would be a load of shit if he didn't. I saw the voting and was surprised how low he was for NL outfielders.

Figure him and Nola should make it.

I guess name recognition and poor attendance are the reasons he's not getting votes?

chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Am I missing something here? That was a poor at bat but for all the offensive woes this team is having to single out him is....well, quite the take. Some would call it hot.  

Above his career averages - again, you trade players when their value is high. I don't think he's a fit for this team long-term. And flat out do not like his style of play. He's got a great contract, playing well over his head, you're not winning shit this year (I get competing, believe me I do). For once capitalize and make the shrewdest deal known to man.
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

I guess name recognition and poor attendance are the reasons he's not getting votes?

Yeah that's probably it. Still, I expect both him and Nola to make it. Fan voting is only a portion of the vote.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Above his career averages - again, you trade players when their value is high. I don't think he's a fit for this team long-term. And flat out do not like his style of play. He's got a great contract, playing well over his head, you're not winning shit this year (I get competing, believe me I do). For once capitalize and make the shrewdest deal known to man.

Yeah I'm not opposed to trading him for the right deal but I also don't see how he wouldn't be a fit long term either.

And they're just above his career averages. This is about what he's done over the last three or four years....home runs are way higher though. Has there been a better Rule 5 player in Phils history?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Yeah, because he doesnt play for a team in prime ballot stuffing shape right now.  (Not hard to identify those teams -- their starting players are almost always in the top 3-4 of vote getters.)  Fans are dopes.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Regarding rule 5 guys, I forgot Victorino was one too. And who can forget GROVER CLEVELAND ALEXANDER! So maybe he's the third best in team history
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    I hate our announcers.
    even The Kruker?

Definitely a tough loss.

Yeah I'm not opposed to trading him for the right deal but I also don't see how he wouldn't be a fit long term either.

And they're just above his career averages. This is about what he's done over the last three or four years....home runs are way higher though. Has there been a better Rule 5 player in Phils history?

Yeah, I'm not going in on a deep dive here of the numbers....but do we forget Victorino so quickly?!