Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    They’re playing Halloween spectrum on Sirius right now and HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A DECADE AGO
    :smiley: re-listened to the show today. Still my favorite show that i've been to.
    Great show but not in my top 5. Ten show was better.  We need more Wells Fargo shows but I imagine next will be citizens bank
    I dunno. Ten Show was great. But I'm not gonna shit on the Halloween show or any of those shows that week. The atmosphere, with everything else going on, made those shows even more special than usual.
    What else was going on?
    Come on now!
    Was there some sort of sporting event?  Perhaps a finals?  My memory is foggy...remind me.
  • Options
    Man that final Spectrum show is so bittersweet for me because the show was amazing as everyone will attest to, but I was one of the many people in the parking lot that caught the flu really, really bad (damn disease-barring Yankee fans!) so I felt like I was going to keel over and die during the show. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    They’re playing Halloween spectrum on Sirius right now and HOLY SHIT THAT WAS A DECADE AGO
    :smiley: re-listened to the show today. Still my favorite show that i've been to.
    Great show but not in my top 5. Ten show was better.  We need more Wells Fargo shows but I imagine next will be citizens bank
    I dunno. Ten Show was great. But I'm not gonna shit on the Halloween show or any of those shows that week. The atmosphere, with everything else going on, made those shows even more special than usual.
    What else was going on?
    Come on now!
    Was there some sort of sporting event?  Perhaps a finals?  My memory is foggy...remind me.
    The Eagles crushed the Giants that Sunday, as usual. Not sure what else happened. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    pjhawks said:
    What else was going on?
    Come on now!
    The Eagles crushed the Giants that Sunday, as usual. Not sure what else happened. 
    I actually did forget about that!  They all blend together.
  • Options
    Hell of a week. I got zero work done. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Man that final Spectrum show is so bittersweet for me because the show was amazing as everyone will attest to, but I was one of the many people in the parking lot that caught the flu really, really bad (damn disease-barring Yankee fans!) so I felt like I was going to keel over and die during the show. 
    I made it out healthy, but my wife, girlfriend at the time, left for Istanbul the following day hungover and ended up getting sick too.

I did have a buddy from NY, Yankees fan, who went with us to the 30th who got sick too.
  • Options
    I made it out healthy, but my wife, girlfriend at the time, left for Istanbul the following day hungover and ended up getting sick too.

I did have a buddy from NY, Yankees fan, who went with us to the 30th who got sick too.
    It was so overcrowded on 10/31 between the PJ show and game 3 of the World Series. At one point, I went to a port-a-john in the parking lot to take a piss. I opened the door, and gallons of piss just came flowing out onto my shoes. It was fucking disgusting and probably contributed to me getting sick. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

It was so overcrowded on 10/31 between the PJ show and game 3 of the World Series. At one point, I went to a port-a-john in the parking lot to take a piss. I opened the door, and gallons of piss just came flowing out onto my shoes. It was fucking disgusting and probably contributed to me getting sick. 
    That's foul. I don't remember anything along those lines.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    It was a great week indeed. At the time I had a job that what it lacked in pay made it up with 46 PTO days. I took that whole goddamn week off and lived in Pearl Jam Philly heaven, which if there was an actual Heaven that'd be it. Sold my Night Two seats because there was no way I was missing watching Game 1 of the World Series.

Frankly, I just need PJ to do a Philly tour - start small and build up: first, Boot & Saddle, then Johnny Brenda's, then Union Transfer, Filmore, Met, Tower, Academy of Music, Mann, Camden (yes, it's being included), WFC, Citizens Bank, Linc. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    It was a great week indeed. At the time I had a job that what it lacked in pay made it up with 46 PTO days. I took that whole goddamn week off and lived in Pearl Jam Philly heaven, which if there was an actual Heaven that'd be it. Sold my Night Two seats because there was no way I was missing watching Game 1 of the World Series.

Frankly, I just need PJ to do a Philly tour - start small and build up: first, Boot & Saddle, then Johnny Brenda's, then Union Transfer, Filmore, Met, Tower, Academy of Music, Mann, Camden (yes, it's being included), WFC, Citizens Bank, Linc. 
    The Tower?  Could be on the VIP porch rocking the fuck out to Pearl Jam?  TOTD was nearly heaven, would cut off a finger to experience that. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Well in retrospect, I should've wondered why that was the only port-a-john in the area without a line of people in front of it. 

Illness aside, those four shows were pretty epic and it was particularly fun for me because I took a different friend to each show. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Well in retrospect, I should've wondered why that was the only port-a-john in the area without a line of people in front of it. 

Illness aside, those four shows were pretty epic and it was particularly fun for me because I took a different friend to each show. 
    HA...JP/Fixer might remember this.  There was one at PJ20 right near our tailgate that someone threw up all over and it was legitimately the smelliest nastiest thing I have ever seen.  We spent a good couple hours tailgating watching people open the door and their reaction to what was inside.  Reactions were amazing.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872

Didn't Bruce (or someone like him) do that here a few years ago?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    But yeah, we had a blast. I had been in Philly for 3 years at that point, my sister and her husband had moved to Philly that year, I think.  I only went to the 30th/31st but we had friends down from New York for the 30th and had my wife and her crew from Philly so there was a good 20 of us tailgating, Phillies and Yankees fans.  Was a blast. 
  • Options

The Tower?  Could be on the VIP porch rocking the fuck out to Pearl Jam?  TOTD was nearly heaven, would cut off a finger to experience that. 
    Is Pearl Jam still a band? Legitimate question
  • Options

Stones did a ways back - I believe they did Tower, WFC, Linc.
  • Options

HA...JP/Fixer might remember this.  There was one at PJ20 right near our tailgate that someone threw up all over and it was legitimately the smelliest nastiest thing I have ever seen.  We spent a good couple hours tailgating watching people open the door and their reaction to what was inside.  Reactions were amazing.
    Haha, I had just so happened to be going through an old calendar and saw those dates. As for memories - they are incredibly vague at this point. I remember 1) the Brewers ballpark being incredibly hot because they didn't open the windows; 2) if people in Milwaukee tailgated like that here all their shit would be gone and their cars would be on fire; 3) Bloody Marys come with a side of beer; 4) Cow's Blood; 5) Crazy, fucking, intense, drunk Canadians make everything better; 6) Not having enough room in the fridge for anything other than beer; 7) $50 will get you an endless supply of marijuana in rural Wisconsin.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621

Haha, I had just so happened to be going through an old calendar and saw those dates. As for memories - they are incredibly vague at this point. I remember 1) the Brewers ballpark being incredibly hot because they didn't open the windows; 2) if people in Milwaukee tailgated like that here all their shit would be gone and their cars would be on fire; 3) Bloody Marys come with a side of beer; 4) Cow's Blood; 5) Crazy, fucking, intense, drunk Canadians make everything better; 6) Not having enough room in the fridge for anything other than beer; 7) $50 will get you an endless supply of marijuana in rural Wisconsin.
    I strongly believe in the bold print above, as well.
    In pretty much any scenario.
  • Options

:lol:    

Yes, I believe that the album is being wrapped up (that they finished recording) and that there will be a tour next year.
    [Only because I believe one of the people here who shares updates.]
    It is a legitimate question, though, sad as that is for us.
  • Options

Yes, I believe that the album is being wrapped up (that they finished recording) and that there will be a tour next year.
    I remember when people lost their minds on how long it took between albums from Binaural and Riot Act. That's probably the last time I sat in anticipation of an album.

I will say, though, this is an incredibly long time. At the same time they're fucking old now, so it's understandable. My only wish is if you're gonna take this long then make weird shit and surprise me with something out of the ordinary.

My hope is they don't completely hang it up before I'm able to take the kids to at least one show where they can remember it. That would make it come full circle for me. But I'd rather they do completely hang it up before they qualify for Social Security.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872

yeah that's who i was thinking of.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

This is all very very true.  Also, people are in noooooo rush in Wisconsin, infuriatingly in no rush
  • Options

I didn't realize they were officially working on an album.  See how much I pay attention to things.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

Yeah back in 2002 Stones did a theater, arena and stadium on the 40 Licks tour in the bigger cities. Managed to snag seats to see them at the Orpheum in Boston. They went to great lengths to prevent scalping for the theater shows. All tix were will call only (2 per person max), you had to register who your guest was ahead of time and both of you had to show up day of show (I think starting at 5:00 or so) and both show ID, get wristbanded (and they put them on tight so they were near impossible to slip off and give to someone else), then get the tickets. Had to get checked again upon entry into venue, wristband and ID. But worth the hoop jumping to see the Stones in a small theater.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    edited November 2019

The guy from Greece? Really? Or are you talking about someone else?
    I somewhat believe he is full of shit and just reading tea leaves like the rest of us. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Can you imagine how insane ticket prices will be if they do a small venue like one of those? Oh dear.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

The guy from Greece? Really? Or are you talking about someone else?
    I somewhat believe he is full of shit and just reading tea leaves like the rest of us. 
    I made travel arrangements based on some info he shared well in advance of last year's tour and was very happy to have done so.
    He was exact with his info for that tour. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Can you imagine how insane ticket prices will be if they do a small venue like one of those? Oh dear.
    Ticket was less than 20 bucks when I saw them at Orpheum in 94, wouldn't be the case these days.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Mulherins & Sons last night.  Huuuge bill for 6 of us, so thankful I wasn't paying.  
    Really good.  First time at that joint.
    Hit the dive across the street and then a.bar

Love a.bar.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x said:
    Looking for help with the Philly crew here.  Try to keep this story short.  Used to date a woman in NYC and she has a niece/nephew that was born into a bad situation and now she is their official guardian.  The kids (14) and I have remained close despite that relationship ending and I want to spend time with them.  Looks like my only option is to meet them somewhere they are a short bus ride from NYC so I'm thinking Philadelphia.  Questions:

1.  What part of town should I stay at to tour the city with one or two 14 year olds?
    Don't know your budget, but right in the middle of the city near City Hall (like Broad & Market-ish) or in Old City (like 5th and Chestnut-ish) would be your best bet. You could also probably get an AirBnB in South Philly off of Passyunk for almost the same rates and get a whole house.
    2.  What sites are a must visit?
    Must visits for 14 year olds can be tough. Off the bat I'd say Eastern State Penitentiary, especially during Halloween. But if it's past Halloween then do the tour anyway. Also, the Mutter Museum is cool and weird. I mean there's the usual Constitution/Liberty Bell/yada stuff all within the same three blocks you can do. Easy to see, too, without spending any money. Other personal must-visits would be the Art Musuem (inside!), Franklin Institute. the Barnes (anything on Ben Franklin Parkway really), tour of City Hall/inside the Billy Penn statue if it's not closed. Go to a Sixers game. Reading Terminal Market. Italian Market for the Mexican.
    3.  Any areas I should avoid?
    I'd say the same tourist traps I mentioned, lol. But as long as you don't end up in Camden you're good. Everything between the rivers and south of like Girard Ave. and you're fine.
    4.  Any other tips?
    If they're from NYC then I'm assuming they'll have an appreciation for those that are straight-forward and border on what some may say is an "asshole." 
    It's a very walkable city.
    Rent some Indego bikes and ride around. Stay in the bike lanes and trails. People here are nuts if you ride on the roads.
    Also, something about cheesesteaks.....

If this happens - will ask for where to eat after.  Please and thanks!

See above.

That's very cool what you're doing.
    Hey ... thanks for this ... the trip is booked ... looking for places to eat ... prefer divy, authentic and good value ... doesn't have to be cheap but we're not a 3 michelin star searching group ...