2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    cutz said:
    A real surprise it's the GSW VS Rockets in the Western Finals( basically the NBA Finals?)
    As long as Harden doesn't go MIA again this should be a good series, like really good series.

On the Raptors Derozan is good.  He needs some help though.  People praise this team all year long then they get destroyed in the playoffs...

You calling for Casey to be fired?
    Oh stop it.  The "talent" isn't there.  Did you miss the help part or do you want to engage in some banter, lol?

haha....dude, you're calling for a first time playoff coach who's coaching a young team who exceeded expectations to be fired in the Sixers thread....yet are fine with a coach who has lead his veteran team to 3 or 4 straight underachieving seasons to remain on the job. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The opposite should be true.

So you DO want to banter.

OK.

The Utah Jazz with Malone and Stockton faced and failed at beating the Bulls in multiple years.  Was it the coach?  No.  It was Jordan.

Who have the Raptors lost to in the playoffs in the last 3 seasons?  I'll let you have two guesses.  Bonus points as to whom the star player on that team is too.

There is a roadblock for a bunch of Eastern teams.  You should know that.

So the 76ers case now.  They were HEAVILY favored against the celtics but have just been falling flat to an inferior team.  I've since gone back and said that I'd give brown another year so I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up?

Banter!

But did you know the Raptors also lost in the first round two years in a row, as a higher seed (and thus a favorite), before losing the last 3 seasons to the Cavs? And yeah, the Cavs have Lebron so there's no shame in losing....but getting swept in two out of the last three seasons? They were the 1 seed this year. That's just blatantly not showing up and coaching definitely plays a part in that. There's a reason there are a lot of reports about Toronto considering firing him today despite the great regular season.

Comparing them to Utah? Jerry Sloan is a hall of famer. Better example might be the Bulls firing Doug Collins after 3 years of playoff frustration before bringing in Phil Jackson to help get them over the hump.

I know you changed your mind on Brown--I'm just pointing out that Casey is the more likely of the two coaches to get fired.

I was using the team the Jazz and there roadblock called the Bulls as a wonderful comparison, come now...

I didn't call for Caseys head because you and I both know that Toronto plays like overachievers during the regular season.  They don't have much other than Derozan and Lowry.  Both of them do not equal 1 Lebron.

This is fun!

It's one thing to lose to the Cavs. It's another thing to get swept in two of the last three seasons after losing in the first round, as a favorite and higher seed, the previous two years. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. Lots of reports about them making a coaching change. 5 years of playoff frustration usually equals a firing in the NBA.
    So you don't think that the Raptors overachieved in the regular season?

Also I would agree that the coach should go.  It's time for something different but unless they get more player help it'll still be the same end result.

This is why Lebron doesn't care about the regular season.  It all means nothing.  The playoffs are everything.
    Wait—you agree Casy should go? Then what are we going back and forth about? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    cutz said:
    A real surprise it's the GSW VS Rockets in the Western Finals( basically the NBA Finals?)
    As long as Harden doesn't go MIA again this should be a good series, like really good series.

On the Raptors Derozan is good.  He needs some help though.  People praise this team all year long then they get destroyed in the playoffs...

Oh stop it.  The "talent" isn't there.  Did you miss the help part or do you want to engage in some banter, lol?

haha....dude, you're calling for a first time playoff coach who's coaching a young team who exceeded expectations to be fired in the Sixers thread....yet are fine with a coach who has lead his veteran team to 3 or 4 straight underachieving seasons to remain on the job. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The opposite should be true.

OK.

The Utah Jazz with Malone and Stockton faced and failed at beating the Bulls in multiple years.  Was it the coach?  No.  It was Jordan.

Who have the Raptors lost to in the playoffs in the last 3 seasons?  I'll let you have two guesses.  Bonus points as to whom the star player on that team is too.

So the 76ers case now.  They were HEAVILY favored against the celtics but have just been falling flat to an inferior team.  I've since gone back and said that I'd give brown another year so I'm not sure why you keep bringing this up?

Banter!

But did you know the Raptors also lost in the first round two years in a row, as a higher seed (and thus a favorite), before losing the last 3 seasons to the Cavs? And yeah, the Cavs have Lebron so there's no shame in losing....but getting swept in two out of the last three seasons? They were the 1 seed this year. That's just blatantly not showing up and coaching definitely plays a part in that. There's a reason there are a lot of reports about Toronto considering firing him today despite the great regular season.

Comparing them to Utah? Jerry Sloan is a hall of famer. Better example might be the Bulls firing Doug Collins after 3 years of playoff frustration before bringing in Phil Jackson to help get them over the hump.

I know you changed your mind on Brown--I'm just pointing out that Casey is the more likely of the two coaches to get fired.

I was using the team the Jazz and there roadblock called the Bulls as a wonderful comparison, come now...

I didn't call for Caseys head because you and I both know that Toronto plays like overachievers during the regular season.  They don't have much other than Derozan and Lowry.  Both of them do not equal 1 Lebron.

This is fun!

It's one thing to lose to the Cavs. It's another thing to get swept in two of the last three seasons after losing in the first round, as a favorite and higher seed, the previous two years. I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. Lots of reports about them making a coaching change. 5 years of playoff frustration usually equals a firing in the NBA.

Also I would agree that the coach should go.  It's time for something different but unless they get more player help it'll still be the same end result.

This is why Lebron doesn't care about the regular season.  It all means nothing.  The playoffs are everything.
    I just like talking basketball so I focused on other parts of your argument while completely ignoring the elephant, lol.
    Something else that will never happen is the Pelicans ever getting a title no matter how good Davis is.

There is no team with him...
    cutz said:

OK.

Banter!

This is fun!

I just like talking basketball so I focused on other parts of your argument while completely ignoring the elephant, lol.

You, sir, are very perplexing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    People keep talking about the Celtics getting Davis. Is that possible?  Tatum, Horford and a pick?  Kyrie, Hayward and Davis...jesus.  Sixers would need Kawhi or Lebron.
    People keep talking about the Celtics getting Davis. Is that possible?  Tatum, Horford and a pick?  Kyrie, Hayward and Davis...jesus.  Sixers would need Kawhi or Lebron.
    My stock in Kawhi has dropped a lot.  He might be a Derrick Rose now...
    There was a lot of talk early in the season about that, that Davis might more or less force a trade cause he wanted to win, and he made some mention of the culture surrounding the Celtics, but the thinking now is that Davis will want to stay in NO since they have tasted a bit of playoff success.
    I'm sure the team has no desire to deal him, he's under contract till 2021.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/02/21/anthony-davis-says-kevin-garnetts-trade-comments-make-you-think
    cutz said:

OK.

Banter!

This is fun!

You, sir, are very perplexing.
    I'm a blast to be around, I assure you, lol.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited May 2018
    cutz said:

That is a good point concerning Harden. I hope it goes at least 6 games.
    Post edited by cutz on
    Poncier said:
    If I recall didn't White Chocolate go to high school with Randy Moss?
    I was gonna post this video too(But wasn't sure i should add a Football player). They actually lost in the State Championship game. The High School no longer exist.

https://youtu.be/7UbyIcJZKiw
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:
    If I recall didn't White Chocolate go to high school with Randy Moss?
    I was gonna post this video too(But wasn't sure i should add a Football player). They actually lost in the State Championship game. The High School no longer exist.

https://youtu.be/7UbyIcJZKiw
    Best HS duo was the Kershaw and Matt Stafford one.  I still can't believe they played together.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Stop that
    Stop that
    I really hope I'm wrong on this, I really do.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Stop that
    I really hope I'm wrong on this, I really do.
    Until he comes back and shows he's healthy and committed to playing, there is definitely doubt on his future. The type of injury that has been reported does not sound like it should have an effect on his career, but no-one though he would miss most of this season with it either. 

It certainly does look like Spurs will consider trades for him though, even though they will not publicly acknowledge that. It's an interesting one, as I can't see Spurs taking a mediocre trade for him, but teams would be crazy to pay a Superstar trade price for a guy that has basically missed a year. Maybe the Knicks will be stupid enough to offer KP
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Stop that

How is it any different than Rose???  The team cleared him, but his "guys" think he isn't ready to play.  Same exact thing with Rose.

I hope not since Leonard is so damn good, but that whole situation is just so strange.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Typical NBA to wait forever for these series to start.  Rockets and Warriors both won their series on Tuesday and game 1 isn't until Monday???  Why does the NBA insist on stretching out the playoffs as much as possible???  So brutal.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Typical NBA to wait forever for these series to start.  Rockets and Warriors both won their series on Tuesday and game 1 isn't until Monday???  Why does the NBA insist on stretching out the playoffs as much as possible???  So brutal.
    I always find it hilarious that the NHL Playoffs start a day or two after the NBA yet manage to wrap up about a week and a half before.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Wobbie said:
    LBJ, 2 more assists average over his career than ball hog jordan.
    That’s because Lebron has basically been a point forward his entire career. 

I don’t remember people in the 90’s constantly feeling the need to prove that MJ was the greatest ever after every single game he played. I find all this talk annoying. Social media and proliferation of sports debates shows, obviously, are the main reasons. 
    We don't agree on much but I agree 100% on this.

Of course the same can be said for the Trust the Process and Hinkie lovers who feel the need to bring it up ad nauseum.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2018
    If I root for the Celtics, I will jinx the Celtics.  If I try reverse psychology and root for the Cavs, the Cavs will still win because it will ultimately piss me off.

Jesus Christ it is TIME for someone NEW in the damn finals!!!  On both sides. Go Celts, go Rockets!
    ^^^^I agree it's old, but i still rather see the GSW-Cavs in the Finals.^^^^
    cutz said:
    Rockets/Cavs would be fun too.

In the end it will be GS and Cavs.

Go LBJ!
    cutz said:
    Rockets/Cavs would be fun too.

In the end it will be GS and Cavs.

Go LBJ!
    Yes, that could be good too.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    Celtics CAN..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Dwane Casey fired...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    23scidoo said:
    Celtics CAN..

Agreed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Dwane Casey fired...

Hey man you just won Coach of the Year...now go find a new job.
    Dwane Casey fired...
    We kind oof new that was coming.  It is shitty though that the last 3 seasons they did lose the the best player in the world but hey.  Maybe it will help.
    23scidoo said:
    Celtics CAN not..
    Fixed!
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    23scidoo said:
    Celtics CAN not..
    Fixed!
    I know you scared..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..