Options

2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    No Coder said:
    Hey what's for dinner tonight? Pancakes.

You see pancakes, like Lebron, are really, really good.  But if you consume too many pancakes, you just get fucking sick until you puke and you no longer want to see a pancake, much less consume it.  Same goes for the NBA Finals.
    Not a fan of the bulls run in the 90’s?!?
    Thankfully Jordan retired and the Rockets gave us all a break halfway through.

That said... Jordan  > Lebron.
    Jordan in championships is greater than lebron. As a player LBJ is by far better...

LBJ as a GM is horrible and Jordan knew who to surround himself with. 
    That is the funniest thing I've read today,  "far better" better than Jordan. I can understand why there is some argument on the GOAT, but in no world anywhere is LBJ "far better" than Jordan. 

I have Jordan as the GOAT and until this year, had James at 3rd, but he has surpassed expectations this year and has moved to number 2 for me, but he's still not better than MJ for me

Not only was Jordan better, he was more enjoyable to watch. I hate the fucking Cavs. It's boring basketball.

Obviously it's an incredible accomplishment to get this team to the finals. Reminds me of AI taking the Sixers to the finals in '01. Saying Lebron is far better than Jordan is utterly ridiculous though.
    AI's my favorite (hence the username) but he had a perfectly built team of strong defenders and rebounders.  Lebron has a bunch of average-at-everything guys and the artist formerly known as Kevin Love.  If he somehow wins a ring this year it ends the debate in my head. Never thought i would say it either.  
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    No Coder said:

You see pancakes, like Lebron, are really, really good.  But if you consume too many pancakes, you just get fucking sick until you puke and you no longer want to see a pancake, much less consume it.  Same goes for the NBA Finals.
    Not a fan of the bulls run in the 90’s?!?
    Thankfully Jordan retired and the Rockets gave us all a break halfway through.

That said... Jordan  > Lebron.
    Jordan in championships is greater than lebron. As a player LBJ is by far better...

LBJ as a GM is horrible and Jordan knew who to surround himself with. 
    That is the funniest thing I've read today,  "far better" better than Jordan. I can understand why there is some argument on the GOAT, but in no world anywhere is LBJ "far better" than Jordan. 

I have Jordan as the GOAT and until this year, had James at 3rd, but he has surpassed expectations this year and has moved to number 2 for me, but he's still not better than MJ for me

Not only was Jordan better, he was more enjoyable to watch. I hate the fucking Cavs. It's boring basketball.

Obviously it's an incredible accomplishment to get this team to the finals. Reminds me of AI taking the Sixers to the finals in '01. Saying Lebron is far better than Jordan is utterly ridiculous though.
    AI's my favorite (hence the username) but he had a perfectly built team of strong defenders and rebounders.  Lebron has a bunch of average-at-everything guys and the artist formerly known as Kevin Love.  If he somehow wins a ring this year it ends the debate in my head. Never thought i would say it either.  
    I would agree somewhat, if Lebron can the the title this year he would climb to being even with the cast of players he's playing with this year. Also this team was changed almost entirely in mid season. Grant you I cant stand Jordan, Lebron somewhat and yes i don't right now believe he's better than MJ.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,415
    Why wasn’t Kyrie at the game supporting his team? 

Lebron is superior to MJ in almost every way. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,633
    Kobe > Lebron

put down the pipe, dyer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,633
    the celtics youth finally showed. it was anyone’s game with 7 minutes to go. then, the C’s disappeared and the GOAT took over.

george hill, JR and korver CAN be good but they sure seem to stink on the road. surprising for veterans.

go dubs!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,359
    Why wasn’t Kyrie at the game supporting his team? 

Lebron is superior to MJ in almost every way. 

Kyrie was home recovering from surgery for a deviated septum.

The better question is why is Mark Jackson such a self righteous, uninformed, pompous jackass?

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Lets see if Warriors can hold on and not choke on this one. 

Ariza is shooting bricks
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Cavs are gonna get smoked...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,485
    7/44 from three. As a coach, how can you allow that to happen.  Lots of time left, within striking range, they were getting some stops but waste them by shooting terrible 3s.  Why not attack the basket when (other those 2 Harden fouls outside) they were getting calls inside all night?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    This
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    bbiggs said:
    This
    Completely agree. IF Lebron can beat the Warriors, then I will put him next to MJ as equal GOAT, because that would be the greatest finals victory ever
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    No Coder said:
    bbiggs said:
    This
    Completely agree. IF Lebron can beat the Warriors, then I will put him next to MJ as equal GOAT, because that would be the greatest finals victory ever
    He did beat the Warriors. The 73 win Warriors
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,640
    igotid88 said:
    No Coder said:
    bbiggs said:
    This
    With Kyrie 
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,316
    What is up with the Warriors and the 3rd quarter blitz?

I just heard a stat that they outscored their opponents by some ridiculous margin.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    So we get to see Lebron lose to the Warriors again. NBA Action.....its Faaaaaaantastic!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So we get to see Lebron lose to the Warriors again. NBA Action.....its Faaaaaaantastic!
    I really hope the Cavs play as a damn unit and shut everyone up.

That would make me very, very happy.

I'm actually hearing talk of the Cavs not winning a game in this series?!?  I think everyone is going to be surprised with this series.
  • Options

I'm actually hearing talk of the Cavs not winning a game in this series?!?  I think everyone is going to be surprised with this series.
    They have no shot. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

They have no shot. 
    If Harden by himself with the team he had last night can give the Warriors a fight then I do see the Cavs as having a shot.  The rest of the team has to show up and they can't die by the 3 pointers.  If the Rockets drove to the hole in the 2nd half then we would be seeing a very different outcome.

Lebron needs to pound the ball inside and get the Warriors in foul trouble early.

The rest of the team needs to make some stops and some plays on the offensive side too.

Stop Curry and his third quarter slaughter.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,537
    ed243421 said:
    igotid88 said:
    No Coder said:
    bbiggs said:
    This
    With Kyrie 
    still beat them.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

They have no shot. 
    If Harden by himself with the team he had last night can give the Warriors a fight then I do see the Cavs as having a shot.  The rest of the team has to show up and they can't die by the 3 pointers.  If the Rockets drove to the hole in the 2nd half then we would be seeing a very different outcome.

Lebron needs to pound the ball inside and get the Warriors in foul trouble early.

The rest of the team needs to make some stops and some plays on the offensive side too.

I needed to add that if Igoudala doesn't play then The Cavs have a shot.  He is an X factor for them.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,278
    edited May 2018
    Lebron's biggest accomplishment is still playing at such a high level considering the number of games this guy has played.  he hasn't played less than 100 games in 8 years now. That is incredible.

The crazy narrative after the game about Lebron willing his team to victory the other night though makes no sense. Yes Lebron's will made the Celtics miss a shit load of 3s :confused:    Smoking Toronto was a better accomplishment than beating  a team playing without their best player.

Jordan and Lebron are clearly 1 and 1a in the modern era of the game.  Let's see how Lebron's career ends up before giving a definitive answer. As good as he is still playing he might still have titles to be won.  not this year though.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options

They have no shot. 

Just that easy!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

They have no shot. 

Just that easy!
    If they can do those 4 things they have a shot.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,415
    Warriors in 6 

I wish it was Celtics vs Rockets. But this will still be entertaining 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617

Warriors are 1/10 favorites in the Finals. Cavs have be the biggest underdogs in Finals history at that number. Here's the scenarios needed for an upset for the ages...

- Lebron dominates even more so than he did in 2016. He'll need to average an efficient 35-10-10. Also has to play great D which he hasn't all playoffs.

- Tristan Thompson averages 15 boards a game and somehow doesn't get abused on defensive switches.

- Kevin Love returns, averages 17 and 10, shoots 45% on 3's and somehow doesn't get roasted on defense.

- Korver & Smith each have a game or two where they can't miss from 3.

- Jeff Green plays the series of his life, holds KD to 25ppg on low 40% shooting... good luck.

- Warriors play awful, miss open shots, play lousy D and turn the ball over at a very high rate.

If all those things happen we might get an interesting series. More than anything it's on the Warriors, if they chose to take this series for granted it could be competitive. This is essentially Lebron's 15' Cavs facing the Warriors again only this time the Warriors have championship experience and KD. I don't see how they defend Curry this go round, Kyrie could at least go at him on the other end of the floor. George Hill can't hang with him and they can't switch like Houston tried and eventually failed at. If they overplay the 3 Warriors will drive for consistent layups and Cavs don't have a rim protector even close to as lethal as Capella. Basically Cavs defense is at a HUGE disadvantage matchup wise. There's a reason Vegas has them as this big an underdog.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    Geez, the money line on the series is GW -1000......you have to bet $100 just to win $10.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    edited May 2018
    Is there any other sport that is more disproportionate when it comes to championships than the NBA? It's the same recycled teams every damn year until the other same dynasty teams rebuild or buy their next championship. Since 1980, only 11 different teams have won the title and that's without removing the one off teams like Cleveland, Dallas and Philly. That leaves 35 championships split between 8 teams. Insane. In the same time span 21 different baseball teams have won a championship and 17 (or 18 if you consider LA and St. Louis different teams) football teams. 

Anyway, Warriors are going to crush the Cavs and keep them as a blip in the history of NBA championship teams.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Is there any other sport that is more disproportionate when it comes to championships than the NBA? It's the same recycled teams every damn year until the other same dynasty teams rebuild or buy their next championship. Since 1980, only 11 different teams have won the title and that's without removing the one off teams like Cleveland, Dallas and Philly. That leaves 35 championships split between 8 teams. Insane. In the same time span 21 different baseball teams have won a championship and 17 (or 18 if you consider LA and St. Louis different teams) football teams. 

Anyway, Warriors are going to crush the Cavs and keep them as a blip in the history of NBA championship teams.
    Basketball is extremely different than other sports where you can heavily rely on one player and do really well.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    tbergs said:

Basketball is extremely different than other sports where you can heavily rely on one player and do really well.
    Yeah, definitely the least "team" sport there is. It doesn't mean the supporting cast isn't important, but an extraordinary player can carry a team for almost every game where as a pitcher and quarterback can be dominant, but if their respective offense and defense doesn't do well than it doesn't matter.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,359
    tbergs said:
     Since 1980, In the same time span 21 different baseball teams have won a championship and 17 (or 18 if you consider LA and St. Louis different teams) football teams. 

Curious as to how considering the LA Rams and St. Louis Rams as different teams would up the number of NFL teams to win a Superb Owl by 1?
    Rams have only 1 title, have never won while in LA.
    This weekend we rock Portland