The Concept of God

Comments

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:
    People are astonished I don't believe in something I have never seen and that no one has ever seen.
    Who's the more foolish?
    Neither can be called foolish, in my opinion, because no one knows for sure. the only people I consider fools, if anyone can or even should be called such, is someone who thinks they know the answer definitively. 
    I guess I'm a fool then! Oh well!
    show me your mathematical equation disproving/proving the existence of god and then I'll eat my words. 

your opinion does not equal fact. 
    Isn't the burden of proof on the ones that believe? 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    People are astonished I don't believe in something I have never seen and that no one has ever seen.
    Who's the more foolish?
    Neither can be called foolish, in my opinion, because no one knows for sure. the only people I consider fools, if anyone can or even should be called such, is someone who thinks they know the answer definitively. 
    show me your mathematical equation disproving/proving the existence of god and then I'll eat my words. 

of course. but just because you can't prove it doesn't mean you know for a fact it doesn't exist. things exist without proof. my point is neither side can prove it one way or the other. 

I just think it's a bit odd to insult people for their belief systems. when, for all anyone knows, they COULD actually be fucking right. (I don't think they are, but again, no one knows). 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

Show me a mathematical equation disproving/proving the existence of The Little Mermaid and then I'll eat MY words.
    Or is it just your opinion that The Little Mermaid doesn't actually exist? That doesn't make it fact either I guess!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Who's the more foolish?
    Which is, like, 90% of religious people.
    I don't know about that. I just got back from a funeral where the priest was talking about "the mystery of faith". 

but it's really here nor there for me. If someone believes, good for them. if they don't, good for them. if they don't know, good for them. 

but mutherfucker I hate sitting/standing/sitting/standing/sitting/standing through catholic mass. it actually makes me angry. 
    Yeah that "mystery" is more of a rhetorical exercise than a literal belief though, I've been through that Catholic drivel of a speech too lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

of course. but just because you can't prove it doesn't mean you know for a fact it doesn't exist. things exist without proof. my point is neither side can prove it one way or the other. 

I just think it's a bit odd to insult people for their belief systems. when, for all anyone knows, they COULD actually be fucking right. (I don't think they are, but again, no one knows). 

But you just insulted people for their belief system. You called them fools.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    rgambs said:
    Who's the more foolish?
    I don't know about that. I just got back from a funeral where the priest was talking about "the mystery of faith". 

but it's really here nor there for me. If someone believes, good for them. if they don't, good for them. if they don't know, good for them. 

but mutherfucker I hate sitting/standing/sitting/standing/sitting/standing through catholic mass. it actually makes me angry. 
    It isn't so much the Simon Says Stand, Sit, Kneel that gets to me, it's the Priestly garb and his little Deacon servant and all they do.
    You seriously can't turn the page for yourself?  You need a servant to place into and remove the magic doodads from your hands?  Can't just pick stuff up like a normal damn human?

In reality that should pale in comparison to the whole "The body of Christ literally reincarnates as a bowl of crackers and a chalice of wine and you consume him" thing, but it's the pomposity of the whole ritual that actually sticks in my craw.  

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

Show me a mathematical equation disproving/proving the existence of The Little Mermaid and then I'll eat MY words.
    Or is it just your opinion that The Little Mermaid doesn't actually exist? That doesn't make it fact either I guess!

Yes.

I was just getting ready to ask for mathematical proof that the one-eyed yeti doesn't exist.

Come on folks... it's religion- the greatest con known to mankind.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

Yes.

I was just getting ready to ask for mathematical proof that the one-eyed yeti doesn't exist.

This man, Reinhold Messner, probably the greatest mountaineer of all time, believes in Yeti/ Big Foot and claims he has seen one. 

But then, Sig. Messner also once claimed to talk to his dead brother when climbing at high altitudes.  Which leads me to wonder if one of two things is the case:  Either belief in a god or gods originated from people living at high altitude OR that God or gods and yeti do indeed exist... at high altitude.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

Yes.

This man, Reinhold Messner, probably the greatest mountaineer of all time, believes in Yeti/ Big Foot and claims he has seen one. 

But then, Sig. Messner also once claimed to talk to his dead brother when climbing at high altitudes.  Which leads me to wonder if one of two things is the case:  Either belief in a god or gods originated from people living at high altitude OR that God or gods and yeti do indeed exist... at high altitude.

Or, what seems to me to be the more likely explanation, that high altitude climbing leads to cerebral hypoxia which is a known cause of confusion and hallucinations. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

Yes.

Or, what seems to me to be the more likely explanation, that high altitude climbing leads to cerebral hypoxia which is a known cause of confusion and hallucinations. 
    Getting medical, eh?  OK now that's cheating (but you're absolutely right, :wink:). 

Yeah, in recently reading about the effects hypoxia and pulmonary and cerebral edema and so forth at high altitude, I don't think I could ever make it to 8,000 meters.  No way.  My lungs would fill up with fluid and my brain would crap out due to lack of Oxygen.  Besides, it's so much more comfortable to hallucinate at low elevations (not that I've ever done that... or have.  I can't remember, haha!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• It's crazy what happens to the body at high altitudes. People don't last very long at those heights without supplementary oxygen. And the mind goes- many of the deaths on Everest its kin are related to poor decisions made while hypoxic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I believe in just being a good human and I believe it stems from love true love I’ve been fortunate to really experience it both from my parents and from having a family of my own , we really don’t practice any religion at all my parents didn’t push any either I just feel like we are all part of nature , I just can’t believe that there is this supreme being at all ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    It's crazy what happens to the body at high altitudes. People don't last very long at those heights without supplementary oxygen. And the mind goes- many of the deaths on Everest its kin are related to poor decisions made while hypoxic.
    Yeah, the body literally eats itself up at those altitudes.

I believe in just being a good human and I believe it stems from love true love I’ve been fortunate to really experience it both from my parents and from having a family of my own , we really don’t practice any religion at all my parents didn’t push any either I just feel like we are all part of nature , I just can’t believe that there is this supreme being at all ...
    Well said, Jose.  Like the song says, "all you need is love".

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

But you just insulted people for their belief system. You called them fools.
    nope, read my original post again. "if anyone can or even should be called such". I was responding to Thoughts calling people foolish. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Who's the more foolish?

It isn't so much the Simon Says Stand, Sit, Kneel that gets to me, it's the Priestly garb and his little Deacon servant and all they do.
    You seriously can't turn the page for yourself?  You need a servant to place into and remove the magic doodads from your hands?  Can't just pick stuff up like a normal damn human?

In reality that should pale in comparison to the whole "The body of Christ literally reincarnates as a bowl of crackers and a chalice of wine and you consume him" thing, but it's the pomposity of the whole ritual that actually sticks in my craw.  

yeah, I have to admit, exactly what you described that made me chuckle a bit at the funeral. it seems SO pompous, like he's one step above the rest of us and one step below god. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

you're right. it doesn't. she and a talking jamaican crab could live under the fucking sea for all we know. Do I believe it does? no. I can be 99.99999999999% sure it doesn't exist, given what we currently know. however, we have only discovered what, 5% (max) of the ocean has been explored? and considering all of the species that have come and gone over millenia, there's no way to know for sure. 

does that make my opinion fact? also no. 

and that's just talking about things on earth. now consider something that is purported to have created the universe. for anyone to say they "know" it exists or not is preposterous. 

Stephen Hawking's last work was that he thought it possible we are all living in a holographic simulation. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

you're right. it doesn't. she and a talking jamaican crab could live under the fucking sea for all we know. Do I believe it does? no. I can be 99.99999999999% sure it doesn't exist, given what we currently know. however, we have only discovered what, 5% (max) of the ocean has been explored? and considering all of the species that have come and gone over millenia, there's no way to know for sure. 

and that's just talking about things on earth. now consider something that is purported to have created the universe. for anyone to say they "know" it exists or not is preposterous. 

Stephen Hawking's last work was that he thought it possible we are all living in a holographic simulation. 
    I think that is just a cop out. Saying that you're only 99.99999999999% sure that The Little Mermaid and her talking crab don't really exist is just disingenuous, as well as illogical and irrational. I don't think any of us should be expected to embrace irrationality and pretend it's open mindedness. And that is also true for God. God was made up out of thin air by people, and to then make the leap to "well, I'm going to insist that it might be true even though it isn't feasible or rational to do so" is just paying lip service to religion, just like saying "I'm going to insist that it might be true that The Little Mermaid might exist because nobody has proven she doesn't." It just doesn't make sense and I don't see it as a logical argument. That argument is what's preposterous.
    As for us living in a holographic simulation... maybe. That is much less preposterous an idea than God, because holographic simulations are a real thing that are made possible through science. They aren't just a made up character like The Little Mermaid is. Or Mickey Mouse. Scientific possibilities, however unlikely, are not comparable to fictional characters.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    When a concept requires the suspension of disbelief, you're probably on the wrong track. I suspend disbelief when I go the the movies, because I like to be entertained and don't want to over-analyze things, but I try not to do that in real life. I prefer to rely on reason, logic and science when available.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Who's the more foolish?

I think that is just a cop out. Saying that you're only 99.99999999999% sure that The Little Mermaid and her talking crab don't really exist is just disingenuous, as well as illogical and irrational. I don't think any of us should be expected to embrace irrationality and pretend it's open mindedness. And that is also true for God. God was made up out of thin air by people, and to then make the leap to "well, I'm going to insist that it might be true even though it isn't feasible or rational to do so" is just paying lip service to religion, just like saying "I'm going to insist that it might be true that The Little Mermaid might exist because nobody has proven she doesn't." It just doesn't make sense and I don't see it as a logical argument. That argument is what's preposterous.
    As for us living in a holographic simulation... maybe. That is much less preposterous an idea than God, because holographic simulations are a real thing that are made possible through science. They aren't just a made up character like The Little Mermaid is. Or Mickey Mouse. Scientific possibilities, however unlikely, are not comparable to fictional characters.
    not a cop out. I can be 100% secure and confident in an assertion even if that assertion is that I don't know. 

sure they are. if we live in a holographic simulation, then WE are fictional characters. 

embracing the notion of living in a simulation over the idea that something intentionally created the universe, yet stating unequivocally that it is impossible that something exists within that simulation just because you haven't seen it/experienced it is wholly contradictory. 

if you think I'd "pay lip service to religion", then you haven't really been listening. religion/christian god was made up out of thin air by man. if a god exists, it wasn't made up by anyone, and none of us have a sweet clue as to its origin or power. 

just because humans drew up the concept of god, doesn't mean one doesn't exist. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

And I choose logic, and therefore assert that the concept of the existence of God is ludicrous. I can be 100% secure and confident in that assertion. But you seem to have a problem with that, even though you make the exact same claim about your ideas.
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    And I choose logic, and therefore assert that the concept of the existence of God is ludicrous. I can be 100% secure and confident in that assertion. But you seem to have a problem with that, even though you make the exact same claim about your ideas.
    You are in for an enormous unfathomable wake up call one of these days pjsoul, just giving you the heads-up.  That my friend is reality.
    Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    You are in for an enormous unfathomable wake up call one of these days pjsoul, just giving you the heads-up.  That my friend is reality.
    You need a dictionary, your definition of reality couldn't possibly be more wrong.
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2018
    Short, but interesting article on the non-existence of "God."  I like this human-oriented argument.  I mean, really.  If "God" is so concerned with humans, why do humans only make up approximately one-googolplexth of the universe?

http://theconversation.com/does-the-size-of-the-universe-prove-god-doesnt-exist-86645
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

:rofl: 
    Reminds me of that final scene in There Will Be Blood where Daniel shouts “Do you think your song and dance and your superstition will help you, Eli?”

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It probably won't be today or tomorrow but You'll see. :)

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Amen brother
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What have you seen thats so special?
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517

my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What have you seen thats so special?
    Indoctrinated manipulated minds are a scary thing.

With or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

- Steven Weinberg